Which is more difficult: Square or Opposition?

Moondancing

Premium Member
Old Ibn Ezra (12th century CE) gave analogies for various astrological aspects (and other astrological factors):

+concerning a square, he said... "it is like 2 people each struggling for dominion over the other"...

+concerning an opposition he said:..."it is like 2 people violently fighting each other"...

The opposition brings to my mind that even if you win in an opposition, you will wish you hadn't.

Moondance

JUPITERASC

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand "generally"
what I am pointing out.
Reference was to a conjunction not opposition
Whereas I refer to OPPOSITION :smile:

No, my friend has a lot of opposition in her chart and she doesnt realize how she acts in certain situations.
So no, the opp is something you cant see or you are not aware of.
The opposition is like a glass wall you cant see,
you keep bumping into it, repeating the same behavior until something changes or comes to light.
On the contrary
an ppositions are obvious

The square is internal
while the opposition you cant see.
Its something you are not aware of.
These energies are fighting for ones attention, its seperating energies.
Opposition being definitely opposite is therefore clearly seen

JUPITERASC

She happens to be a Pisces or Aries Asc depending on the house system.
She has planets in the 1st and 7th.
And other planets scattered,
I haven't delved into her chart as of yet
because I'm busy with learning other things.
would be helpful to view the chart if you have permission :smile:

JUPITERASC

For me, no question: opposition is more intense than square;
however, in practice a seperating opposition would not be as intense
as an exact (exactly 90 degree) square,
or even as an applying square within 1 degree of exact,

In Greco-Roman and Arabic astrology, there was a hierarchy of aspects:

-most singificant was a conjunction
(however, a conjunction is not technically an ASPECT
-there is no "aspecting" in unity)
so it's because conjunctions are not an aspect
that opposition is the most difficult ASPECT

-next in power, the opposition
-then the square
-next the trine
-least, the sextile
OPPOSITION is an obvious opposing factor idrectly OPPOSITE and in full view

Old Ibn Ezra (12th century CE) gave analogies for various astrological aspects (and other astrological factors):

+concerning a square, he said... "it is like 2 people each struggling for dominion over the other"...

+concerning an opposition he said:..."it is like 2 people violently fighting each other"...
Good analogies

Idrew

My oppositions :)

Attachments

• DREW.gif
    DREW.gif
    63.9 KB · Views: 44

dr. farr

A factor which I have long used in determining the approximate "strength" of an aspect (such as an opposition or a square) is this:
-if the declinations of the planets are both on the same side (ie, both North or both South), I consider the opposition of a milder intensity-but if the planets are each on different sides (one North, one South) I consider it a potent opposition
-same with a square: planets on same side, moderates the "power" of the square; planets on opposite sides, increases/intensifies with power or the square
-with benefic aspects (trine, sextile, even semi-sextile) its the reverse: planets on the same side increase the power/intensity of the benefic aspect, planets on opposite side make the benefic aspect less intense or powerful.

Idrew

A factor which I have long used in determining the approximate "strength" of an aspect (such as an opposition or a square) is this:
-if the declinations of the planets are both on the same side (ie, both North or both South), I consider the opposition of a milder intensity-but if the planets are each on different sides (one North, one South) I consider it a potent opposition
-same with a square: planets on same side, moderates the "power" of the square; planets on opposite sides, increases/intensifies with power or the square
-with benefic aspects (trine, sextile, even semi-sextile) its the reverse: planets on the same side increase the power/intensity of the benefic aspect, planets on opposite side make the benefic aspect less intense or powerful.

Interesting. But since oppositions are 180 degrees, are they not alwayson different sides?

JUPITERASC

Interesting.

But since oppositions are 180 degrees, are they not alwayson different sides?
not spherically, with DECLINATION - EARTH is spherical :smile:

dec-edm.gif

A factor which I have long used in determining the approximate "strength"
of an aspect
(such as an opposition or a square) is this:

-if the declinations of the planets are both on the same side
(ie, both North or both South),
I consider the opposition of a milder intensity
-but if the planets are each on different sides
(one North, one South)
I consider it a potent opposition

-same with a square: planets on same side, moderates the "power" of the square;
planets on opposite sides, increases/intensifies with power or the square
-with benefic aspects (trine, sextile, even semi-sextile) its the reverse:
planets on the same side increase the power/intensity of the benefic aspect,
planets on opposite side make the benefic aspect less intense or powerful.

coord_transit.gif

cs_equ.png

Last edited:

detectahead

not spherically, with DECLINATION - EARTH is spherical :smile:

dec-edm.gif

coord_transit.gif

cs_equ.png

People should take note of this, for it explains very well what confuses many people. Gives you a greater understanding of the"mechanics" involved. The points on stronger or weaker above and below declination, or same sides for beneficial aspect. I will also be looking at this from now on!

JUPITERASC

People should take note of this,
for it explains very well what confuses many people.
Gives you a greater understanding of the"mechanics" involved.
The points on stronger or weaker above and below declination,
or same sides for beneficial aspect.
I will also be looking at this from now on!
Great :smile:
dr. farrs posts are well worth following on any thread
he has a vast knowledge of astrological history
and often mentions some less commonly known factor on his posts
he is constantly giving plenty of good astrological ideas and tips
he's been away from our forum and not posted for a couple of years
and it's good he has returned to us

Cupid Arrow

People should take note of this, for it explains very well what confuses many people. Gives you a greater understanding of the"mechanics" involved. The points on stronger or weaker above and below declination, or same sides for beneficial aspect. I will also be looking at this from now on!

I havent read on delination but any opposition to me is an opposition.

dr. farr

I think delination is too technical.

Not at all! Its simpler, in fact, than calculating the longitudinal aspects (ie the regular aspects used in astrology); the declinations are provided ready-made in every astrodienst-generated chart, you can simply look up the "North" or "South" declination, to determine (relative to the aspects) if the planets involved (in the aspect) are on the same side or on different sides of the N/S line...

Cupid Arrow

Of course it is:biggrin:; but -if one is interested in a "quantitative" evaluation of a given aspect-HOW INTENSE (or conversely, HOW MILD) is that opposition??

And what planets make the opposition less mild or intense? Isnt it the planets involved? Btw, do you speak german Dr. Farr, or have you heard of persona charts? I've looked around this board and there isnt much, have you worked with PC? This is out the way, I know but I know you are very knowledgeable and wondered if you dabbled?

Last edited:

dr. farr

And what planets make the opposition less mild or intense? Isnt it the planets involved? Btw, do you speak german Dr. Farr, or have you heard of persona charts? I've looked around this board and there isnt much, have you worked with PC? This is out the way, I know but I know you are very knowledgeable and wondered if you dabbled?

If whatever planets are involved in the opposition are on opposite sides N/S (in declination) then the opposition (however intense it is based on the planets involved in the aspect) is (further) amplified (in its original degree of intensity), and if the planets involved in the opposition aspect are on the same side N/S (in declination) then the opposition (however intense it is based on the planets involved in the opposition aspect) is diminished in its degree of "original" intensity.

No I do not speak German.

Yes I am somewhat familiar with the Persona Chart methodology, but have never tested it (experimented with it) in delineation.

Remember that with this declination matter applied to affecting longidtudinal aspects, I am only talking about nuancing the degree of intensity of the aspect to be gauged in the delineative process.

Cupid Arrow

If whatever planets are involved in the opposition are on opposite sides N/S (in declination) then the opposition (however intense it is based on the planets involved in the aspect) is (further) amplified (in its original degree of intensity), and if the planets involved in the opposition aspect are on the same side N/S (in declination) then the opposition (however intense it is based on the planets involved in the opposition aspect) is diminished in its degree of "original" intensity.

No I do not speak German.

Yes I am somewhat familiar with the Persona Chart methodology, but have never tested it (experimented with it) in delineation.

Remember that with this declination matter applied to affecting longidtudinal aspects, I am only talking about nuancing the degree of intensity of the aspect to be gauged in the delineative process.

Do you know where I can find more info on PC charts? So your saying if the opposition is on the same side its less intense? I'm a visual learner so I'm trying to picture this in my head. Why isn't the opposition just that? East/West North/South 180° but not all oppositions are 180 I think some range to 185°, I think... I maybe wrong... Anyway, in your experience, why the delineation?

GeminiGrrl

The severity of the opposition or square does depend to some extent on which planets are involved. An opposition or square involving two planets which are considered malefics (meaning primarily Mars and Saturn but potentially Uranus and Pluto depending on interpretation) will probably be more harsh in its effects than an opposition or square between two planets which are considered to be benefics (meaning primarily Venus and Jupiter but potentially also the Sun and Moon). As an example, an opposition or square between Mars and Saturn is considered to be one of the most challenging aspects there is regardless of whether you're talking about a natal chart or a synastry chart -- probably the only thing worse would be an inconjunct between Mars and Saturn -- whereas an opposition or square between Venus and Jupiter is not usually considered to be much of a problem because the favorable nature of both planets softens some of the impact of the aspect.

detectahead

There are other conditions which modify the aspect such as a sextile or trine by the ruling planet to one of the planets in opposition modifying it's intensity,or just a sextile or trine to the opposing planets while in cadent houses even if both of these situations had N and S in affect. The N and S is another key to your understanding of chart delineation. The extra weight can give more credence to the aspect and help make a decision about the chart. I call it fine tuning.