Clarifying Significator Dignity and Reception

byjove

Account Closed
Hi!

I'm trying to string out the logic of the significator dignity and receiption.

Task 1: Figuring out what it means when one significator is in the Term or Face of the other significator or it's own Term or Face.

Say we're talking about significator 1 is Mercury at 20 degrees of Libra and Jupiter at 1 degree of Virgo.

Using this guide here: http://www.aquamoonlight.co.uk/horary.html

Mercury has no special dignity or debility in Libra.

At 20 degrees, it is in the:

Term of: Mercury
Face of: Jupiter

Mercury is in it's own Term. So is this considered natural strength? Though, I understand Term is one of the lesser dignities, after domicile, exaltation and triplicity. Could a planet in it's own Term mean anything else?

Mercury is in the Face of Jupiter. This is significator 2 in the example above, the quesited. So, is Mercury thinking about/having sympathy/regard for/with the Mercury significator?

At 1 degree of Virgo, Jupiter is debilitated, in detriment in Virgo, the sign opposite it's natural rulership and is in the:

Term of: Mercury
Face of: Sun

Jupiter mirrors Mercury's position, in a dignity of the other planet. So the question is the same as above.

If neither significator is the Sun, then Jupiter being in the Face of the Sun is superfluous information?

Task 2: Figuring out when one significator is in the sign of fall, detriment, domicile or exaltation of the other significator. Also, what if a significator is in it's own fall, detriment, domicile or exaltation?

Let's alter the example a little. Consider Mercury in Libra in a horary as the first significator and Saturn in Aries. Mercury is in the sign of exaltation of the second significator. What does that mean? Saturn is receiving Mercury? So...the Saturn representation is ... 'entertaining' the connection with Mercury? Anything else?

Saturn is in fall in Aries, the sign opposite it's exaltation. So, if this is a person, what can we understand about their position/situation/feelings? The Moon, unless Cancer is rising, signifies feelings in addition to timing. But with the other planets, or if Cancer is the ascendant, then the planets in:

Fall: injured and not recoverable
Detriment: are injured, but recoverable

Does that mean 'bad' character?

Anyone feel like helping out? :whistling:

Last edited:

Oddity

In your first example, there's no reception because there's no aspect. Mercury in its own term is a minor dignity, it saves the planet from being peregrine, so it has some say in how it acts. Provided it's not off in a cadent house and afflicted other ways, take it as a sign that you can in some way act to bring about what you want.

As for dignity by face, it's so minor as to not play much part. I'd honestly rather see a planet in sect. But if it's face, then it's recognition. Just that. 'Oh, I saw him on the bus once' kind of recognition, and that's about it. So the person knows you exist, but you're not a big factor in their decisions.

Jupiter in Virgo is desperate, depressed, out of hope, unable to do anything useful towards the situation. Because it's Jupiter, it will try to bring good, but chances are the bad will outweigh the good. It isn't in a great position to act, and if it does act, the act will more likely hinder the outcome it wants than to help it along.

Mercury and Saturn in opposition will not bring good. Oppositions just don't, especially oppositions involving malefics. Granted, it's preferable for Mercury to be received by Saturn than vice-versa for obvious reasons, but it can't bring a good result in horary, the differences are too much to be reconciled for anyone to be happy with them.

Other people have other takes on this, so I hope a few join in, and I know I haven't half-covered it here, but it's a start.

byjove

Account Closed
What about mixed dignity? One significator in the domicile or exaltation of the other significator, thinking in terms of relationship horary, the second significator is in the Term of the other? I'll exclude Face if it's so weak.

What if a significator is conjunct an angle? ASC, MC, IC, DSC?

Is an aspect absolutely needed to make use of mixed reception?

I've read sometimes reference to exalted significators as being ... a significant other is being idolized, or put on a pedestal. Is that reasonable? Is it the most likely meaning?

byjove

Account Closed
I've still got something confused, when one significator is in the domicile, fall, detriment or exaltation of the other significator.

E.g.

Saturn in Libra, the Sun is the other significator (fall)
Mars in Taurus, Venus is the other significator (domicile)
Jupiter in Cancer, the Moon is the other significator (exaltation)
Mercury in Capricorn, Jupiter is the other significator (detriment)

I keep confusing these and mixing up my own charts! :w00t:

heidy26

I've still got something confused, when one significator is in the domicile, fall, detriment or exaltation of the other significator.

E.g.

Saturn in Libra, the Sun is the other significator (fall)
Mars in Taurus, Venus is the other significator (domicile)
Jupiter in Cancer, the Moon is the other significator (exaltation)
Mercury in Capricorn, Jupiter is the other significator (detriment)

I keep confusing these and mixing up my own charts! :w00t:

I do have my own questions too, regarding receptions, hopefully someone will clarify mine.
Regarding your questions:
1. This is tricky.. if Saturn is in Libra and Sun in Libra, Sun is so interested in Saturn to the point of getting unrealistic about him [exaltation], but he is in his fall, which makes him incapable of maneuvering the situation to his advantage, in a misfortune of the subject, but with hopes for recovery, as per Lilly.

2.If one sig is in domicile of the other, means the other sig is adoring the first.
So let's say Mars/Jupiter as sigs; if Jupiter is in Aries and Mars in Virgo, Mars is the one who is into Jupiter.

3. Jupiter in Cancer, he is exalted, Moon is into Jupiter [domicile], but where is Moon ? In Cancer, too ? If Moon is also in Cancer, then Jupiter is her love and ideal.

4. Mercury in the sign of Jupiter's fall makes Jupiter incapable of dealing with Mercury for the question asked and maybe seriously concerned. This relates with the first scenario.

Now, regarding my own trouble with reception, let's say:
Saturn and Sun as sigs
Saturn in first degrees of Saggitarius, Sun in Libra.
Also, Venus in Leo.
So, who is receiving who ? Venus wants Sun, clearly and Sun wants Venus, but he exalts Saturn and is in his fall.
Could Saturn/Venus be same person or does the Sun want 2 persons and who is the person he wants more ? :)

Last edited:

Oddity

3. Jupiter in Cancer, he exalts Moon, so take note as per first point, Jupiter idealizes Moon.

Just pulling this one out, because I think the language may obscure what's happening. Jupiter is exalted in Cancer. Moon rules Cancer. Jupiter's not 'exalting' anything, I don't think.

Picture: Jupiter is in Cancer sextile Moon in Taurus. Would you say that the moon 'is exalting' Venus, therefore is uninterested in Jupiter, whilst Jupiter 'exalts' the moon?

It may just be my reading of it, but that's the impression I get from the language, but that isn't what's happening in the chart. Or is it?

If Jupiter is in Cancer then it's in its own exaltation, and it receives the moon, is willing to take some favourable action, provided there's an aspect, but I don't think 'exalts' describes the situation well.

If I'm just being picky feel free to dismiss this, it just confuses me when I see a planet 'exalting' another planet, because that's really not how it works.

heidy26

Just pulling this one out, because I think the language may obscure what's happening.
Yes, I realized the mistake I made and I corrected it fast.
I edited the post before you post this, I believe. ;)

Last edited:

Arena

If Jupiter is in Cancer then it's in its own exaltation, and it receives the moon

Another mistake here. This situation is Moon receives Jupiter, not the other way around, unless the Moon of course is also within Cancer or in Jupiter's domiciles. If Moon is in Pisces or Saggittarius, then the Moon is received by Jupiter, provided there is also an aspect.

Jupiter is exalted by the Moon in Cancer, so the Moon is very willing to help Jupiter to perform or do what he likes. IF the Moon is also inside Cancer, then this is mutual reception and we can say that Jupiter also receives the Moon in it's sign of exaltation. In that case both planets are very strong and willing to help each other and the aspect of conjunction will happen very easily.

Oddity

Another mistake here. This situation is Moon receives Jupiter, not the other way around, unless the Moon of course is also within Cancer or in Jupiter's domiciles. If Moon is in Pisces or Saggittarius, then the Moon is received by Jupiter, provided there is also an aspect.

Jupiter is exalted by the Moon in Cancer, so the Moon is very willing to help Jupiter to perform or do what he likes. IF the Moon is also inside Cancer, then this is mutual reception and we can say that Jupiter also receives the Moon in it's sign of exaltation. In that case both planets are very strong and willing to help each other and the aspect of conjunction will happen very easily.

I realised I was suffering from 'who's on first' syndrome after I wrote that. Arrggh.

Planets don't exalt planets, though, regardless of what sign they're in, and it gets confusing when people refer to it that way.

heidy26

I think your post is redundant, Oddity.
I did not need correction, considering that if I 'nailed' everything else I wrote in my post, it was pretty much obvious that was a typing mistake and not an 'I am just talking for the sake of it and have no clue' mistake.
So can I suggest you edit your post ? And take note that that hunting others' posts without paying attention to whether they correct themselves or not is not the best approach.
For further reference - I do write in a hurry a lot of times and make mistakes, but I re-read the post and correct myself.
If I do want something from others, is to see if they can share their knowledge by answering my questions. So please, if you want to help me, my question is this one:
Saturn and Sun as sigs
Also, Venus in Leo.
So, who is receiving who ? Venus wants Sun, clearly and Sun wants Venus, but he exalts Saturn and is in his fall.
Could Saturn/Venus be same person or does the Sun want 2 persons and who is the person he wants more ?

Thank you.

JUPITERASC

I think your post is redundant, Oddity.
I did not need correction, considering that if I 'nailed' everything else I wrote in my post, it was pretty much obvious that was a typing mistake and not an 'I am just talking for the sake of it and have no clue' mistake.
So can I suggest you edit your post ? And take note that that hunting others' posts without paying attention to whether they correct themselves or not is not the best approach.
For further reference - I do write in a hurry a lot of times and make mistakes, but I re-read the post and correct myself.
If I do want something from others, is to see if they can share their knowledge by answering my questions. So please, if you want to help me, my question is this one:

Thank you.
When posts are edited due to having been written in haste and not checked
then expecting others to spend time editing their posts to allow for the fact that a hasty post was made
to which they responded with every good intention of helpfully highlighting an error made
and were kind enough to provide guidance for free
is taking that members kindness for granted

When a hasty post is edited, that's the concern of the poster
it's the posters job to check their post before posting it
and the poster must expect to be checked by anyone who notices any errors

In this case clearly one member was already typing their response
at the same time another member was editing their response

furthermore
responses to edited posts need to remain
so that it's clear to the reader that a response was made before a post was edited
and then the thread has coherence
otherwise the thread makes no sense

For further reference - I do write in a hurry a lot of times and make mistakes,
but I re-read the post and correct myself.

If I do want something from others,
is to see if they can share their knowledge by answering my questions.
So please, if you want to help me, my question is this one:

Thank you.
Good idea to take more time before posting comments then

If I do want something from others,
is to see if they can share their knowledge by answering my questions.

Quote:
Saturn and Sun as sigs
Also, Venus in Leo.
Could Saturn/Venus be same person or does the Sun want 2 persons and who is the person he wants more ?
Thank you.
Keep in mind that other members are not responsible for the speed at which other members posts are made
and
members who generously share their knowledge do so from choice, not demand

and

as has just been highlighted
planets do not exalt planets
:smile:
Planets don't exalt planets, though, regardless of what sign they're in,

and it gets confusing
when people refer to it that way.

heidy26

Thank you, JUPITERASC, though I think the rule to take more time before applying comments is equally valid, for both those who post an opinion and for those that want to correct an opinion.

On the other hand, regarding the knowledge of others, I did not demand an answer, but to see if they can share knowledge, which is different:
Thank you.

On another note:
furthermore
responses to edited posts need to remain
so that it's clear to the reader that a response was made before a post was edited
and then the thread has coherence
This would make sense, if my edit was after my error was signaled and not the other way round, which is the case here.

Now, speaking of planets exalting [or idealizing], I can see on a large scale that term used by a lot of astrologers.
If it is confusing, then maybe the term 'idealized' suits best, so let me rephrase my question:
Saturn and Sun as sigs
Also, Venus in Leo.
So, who is receiving who ? Venus wants Sun, clearly and Sun wants Venus, but he idealizes Saturn and is in his fall.

Another point I want to make is that I don't think someone needs protection here and we should not take sides; we should let things go and focus on astrology.

tsmall

Premium Member
Saturn and Sun as sigs
Also, Venus in Leo.
So, who is receiving who ?

Sun and Venus are in mutual reception by domicile, Saturn receives Sun by exaltation. If it is a day chart Sun receives Saturn by triplicity. That was easy.

Venus wants Sun, clearly and Sun wants Venus,

I blame Frawley, who seriously ******* up reception, for this confusion. Rather than say Venus and Sun "want each other" (which is not entirely correct) it would be better to say Venus and the Sun are inclined to helping each other. Think of it this way. Reception is about allowing, not wanting. If a planet is received then its dispositor is obligated to see to its needs and allow it to carry out its significations to the best of its abilities. It's a host/guest relationship.

but he exalts Saturn and is in his fall.

No. This

Planets don't exalt planets, though, regardless of what sign they're in

First of all, if you must insist that one planet is in some way going to "exalt" another, you have it going the wrong way. Because Saturn receives the Sun, Saturn has to allow the Sun to carry out its office, in other words Saturn has to let the Sun do what it wants to do.

Could Saturn/Venus be same person

No.

or does the Sun want 2 persons and who is the person he wants more ? :)

One thing missing from this discussion is that true reception requires an aspect, otherwise all you have really is generosity. Sun is separating from Saturn, so whatever that represents is over. Venus currently at 27 Leo is moving slower than the Sun, so the Sun is applying to Venus with mutual reception. That has some promise, but Venus will still escape into Virgo before the Sun can perfect the sextile. So really it doesn't matter whom the Sun wants more.

Dirius

heidy26 I don't think Oddity was trying to be mean. He just pointed out a simple mistake, don't take it as him "hunting" you down. :tongue:

Saturn and Sun as sigs
Also, Venus in Leo.
Could Saturn/Venus be same person or does the Sun want 2 persons and who is the person he wants more ? :)

Depends on the context of the chart. If you are talking about a relationship question (given that it seems to be a 1st-7th):

What is Venus?

...is Venus a secondary significator for on of them representing a woman?
...is Venus another house involved in the question?

The Sun in the sign of Venus could very well represent an interest for "love" in general (as wanting a relationship). Depends on the context of the chart, and what house does Venus rule.

Take it this way:

Sun is ruled by Venus.

Despite the fact that the Sun may also exalt Saturn, his actions are still ruled by what Venus means and wants. Specially if Venus is also in mutual reception with Sun.

Also, while all relationship questions are read in a similar way, they are not alle xactly the same. A question such as "does she like me?" is not the same as "will we breakup?"

So again, it depends on the context of the chart to make sense :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member

Attachments

• facepalm (2).jpg
    facepalm (2).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 42

Arena

I blame Frawley, who seriously ******* up reception, for this confusion. Rather than say Venus and Sun "want each other" (which is not entirely correct) it would be better to say Venus and the Sun are inclined to helping each other. Think of it this way. Reception is about allowing, not wanting. If a planet is received then its dispositor is obligated to see to its needs and allow it to carry out its significations to the best of its abilities. It's a host/guest relationship.

Thank you tsmall
I agree with you. Frawley has really ****** up people's understanding of reception.

When Venus is in Leo, it is the Sun that is receiving Venus, given that the Sun has an ok placement and is aspecting Venus. So it is the Sun that is the one that is going to aid/help the situation. It is not so that it means Venus likes the Sun (although that might also be the case if Venus is also receiving the Sun).

Dirius

atleasttencharacters

???????

///o///

I think you are being bothered by the semantics here.

Saying>

"The Sun exalts Saturn" is just the same as saying:

- "The Sun is in Saturn's exaltation".
- "The Sun is recieved by Saturn through exaltation".

Its just a manner of stating it. Not sure why the picard /facepalm was needed...

Last edited:

waybread

Just my 2c worth.

I think it's most helpful just to set down the basic concepts, prior to trying to work them out in a situation where you have some emotional investment in the outcome. By all means, practice with a chart that means something to you, if you wish, but just don't try to interpret anything before you've got the dignities and reception nailed down. Otherwise it's too easy to get confused.

A planet in its own terms picks up some strength. Not as much as by domicile or exaltation, but some. Beyond seeing if a planet gains strength from being in its own minor essential dignities, we can look at how planets help or hurt each other by dignity according to their location in signs. This is the concept of reception.

I generally find Skyscript to be a source of good information on matters of tradition. See if this article helps:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig6.html

Here is their table of essential dignities: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/essential_dignities.html

Basically, the author suggests that we think of a planet as "receiving" another planet like a guest in his home. A primary example would be a dispositor, when we consider the domicile ruler of a sign, like Jupiter receiving a Venus in Sagittarius.

But we can take this a step further. If Jupiter rolls up in Venus's terms in Jupiter's sign, then Venus might be of some benefit to Jupiter, depending upon what else is going on.

We're all familiar with mutual reception in which Venus is in Sagittarius and Jupiter is in Taurus. These two planets help each other, because each is in the sign of the others domicile. This also works by exaltation and across types of dignity. (For example, Saturn in Libra and Venus in Aquarius.)

But what if we've got Mercury in Sagittarius and Jupiter in Gemini? Not so much, because even though there's mutual reception, both planets are in detriment. They just don't have robust resources to offer one another. You can also have reception of this nature by fall that just doesn't help anybody.

Regarding reception, let's say, Venus in Pisces is exalted in Jupiter's own sign of Pisces, and Jupiter is in Venus's terms in Cancer. The reception doesn't have to operate within the same type of dignity. In either case, the planetary "friends" will benefit from their relationship if both are reasonably robust; although one might benefit more than the other. But the "point value" of the minor essential dignities isn't as high.

Thinking of planets as hosts and guests (dispositors) or as close friends (mutual reception) might be helpful. Generally the relationship is beneficial, but sometimes the host is unwelcoming, the guest is troublesome, or neither friend is in a position to help one another.

A an exalted host doesn't "exalt" his guest, but may be in a position to benefit the guest.

A reception relationship may be further strengthened or weakened by some other variable like triplicity, sect, aspect, house position, and so on. Is this a day or a night chart? We can bump up a planet's strength if it's Venus above the horizon in a night chart, for example.

Some horary astrologers think that a beneficial type of reception will create a positive outcome for the question even where there is no helpful applying aspect.
The traditional authors don't always agree. And we should expect this for a field as old and as culturally diverse as astrology.

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
???????

///o///

I think you are being bothered by the semantics here.

Saying>

"The Sun exalts Saturn" is just the same as saying:

- "The Sun is in Saturn's exaltation".
- "The Sun is recieved by Saturn through exaltation".

Its just a manner of stating it. Not sure why the picard /facepalm was needed...

Semantics mean a lot. To say that the Sun exalts Saturn because the Sun is in Libra is different than saying the Sun is in Saturn's exaltation. To exalt something or someone is to elevate it, lift it up, worship it, and that is vastly different from saying that Saturn receives the Sun via exaltation. In the first case one is suggesting that the Sun worships (exalts) Saturn, whereas in the second one is saying that Saturn receives the Sun who is in the place where Saturn is exalted.

Dirius

Semantics mean a lot. To say that the Sun exalts Saturn because the Sun is in Libra is different than saying the Sun is in Saturn's exaltation. To exalt something or someone is to elevate it, lift it up, worship it, and that is vastly different from saying that Saturn receives the Sun via exaltation. In the first case one is suggesting that the Sun worships (exalts) Saturn, whereas in the second one is saying that Saturn receives the Sun who is in the place where Saturn is exalted.

So it is the same?

Because if you say that you are "worshipping" someone, or you state that you are in the "house of worship" of that someone, you are pretty much saying the same thing.

Its just semantics.

a) "I believe in God"
b) "I go to church every Sunday" (thus can be assumed to believe in God)

semantics.:andy:

Last edited: