What is the difference in effect between a sextile and a semi-sextile?

Januarystorm

So i have quite a lot of sextiles in my natal chart, and also quite a lot of semi-sextiles, however i struggle to understand the difference between these two aspects- the name makes it sound like it is almost alike- but thinking about it- it is still a very different aspect, especially when taking in account the difference in sign-interaction and difference in acual literal degrees...

so my question is, what is the difference in outward effect between a semi sextile and a sextile? a real practical difference

for example say the difference between a mars placed in sagittarius- and a saturn placed in aquarius (a sextile) and a mars placed in sagittarius and a saturn placed in capricorn (semi-sextile) lets say the aspect is pretty exact and is happening between the 1-3 and 1-2 houses.

and also, because the name is clearly suggesting something that is partly or semi- and the semi-sextile is considered a minor aspect- is that truly so? i have for example found inconjuncts, or quincunxes, to be considered a minor aspect as well- but clearly from personal experience and research this is absolutely NOT the case and can be one of the major issues in a persons life- and also the issue that will give most benefit when worked upon

thank you

petosiris

Banned
So i have quite a lot of sextiles in my natal chart, and also quite a lot of semi-sextiles, however i struggle to understand the difference between these two aspects- the name makes it sound like it is almost alike- but thinking about it- it is still a very different aspect, especially when taking in account the difference in sign-interaction and difference in acual literal degrees...

so my question is, what is the difference in outward effect between a semi sextile and a sextile? a real practical difference

for example say the difference between a mars placed in sagittarius- and a saturn placed in aquarius (a sextile) and a mars placed in sagittarius and a saturn placed in capricorn (semi-sextile) lets say the aspect is pretty exact and is happening between the 1-3 and 1-2 houses.

and also, because the name is clearly suggesting something that is partly or semi- and the semi-sextile is considered a minor aspect- is that truly so? i have for example found inconjuncts, or quincunxes, to be considered a minor aspect as well- but clearly from personal experience and research this is absolutely NOT the case and can be one of the major issues in a persons life- and also the issue that will give most benefit when worked upon

thank you

The are 12 images and only 5 possible geometrical (4 of which polygon) configurations.
Semi-Sextile and Inconjunct - Dodecagon
Sextile - Hexagon
Square - Tetragon
Trine - Trigon
Opposition - Diameter

Aspects originate as whole sign aspects/schemas in Hellenistic astrology, and they specifically used the polygon names.
The conjunction is not an aspect proper (it is called ''presence'' in the same sign). The dodecagon is extremely weak according to traditional astrology and regarded as unconfigured/in aversion/disjunct, unless related through like-principle of daylight or rising time (the so-called ''antiscia or contra-antiscia'').

Last edited:

waybread

Probably I'm missing something about semi-sextiles, but they just don't seem to have enough "oomph" to make much difference. Each of the major aspects is comprised of two or more semi-sextiles. Units of 30 degrees make up sextiles, squares, trines, and oppositions. So it's the other numbers in the aspects that make them different from one another: the 2-series and the 3-series.

Traditionally planets 30 degrees apart don't "behold" or see one another.

One fun kind of exception or different way of looking at planetary relationships are antiscia & contra-antiscia, notably with Capricorn and Sagittarius, as well as Gemini and Cancer. http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/antiscia.html

Quincunxes and other so-called minor aspects are used in modern astrology.

Last edited:

ardentika

I highly believe from my research that semi-sextiles act as conjunctions. Just as powerful but the energy is a bit different. With conjunctions the two planets don't differentiate each other and act as one energy, which can be problematic. But with semi sextiles the planets do notice they are different in their behavior however they still have VERY similar methods and seem to understand each other even though they work differently. There is friction definitely, simply because the planets are so different and speak the same thing in a different way. It's definitely a potent aspect because it brings major awareness I believe. It helps understand yourself and others and be more accepting, because the energy itself is almost like a sibling. They annoy you and you don't get them cos there is this huge age gap, but if you bring your awareness to their age or just try to understand them, you manage to, and still love them. xD
Even in synastry it's a nice aspect. It's not so much in your face as a square or conjunction. It acts almost like an instinct because it is a minor aspect after all. I'd say the same for inconjuncts. It's a friendly sparring aspect. xD

JUPITERASC

The are 12 images and only 5 possible geometrical (4 of which polygon) configurations.
Semi-Sextile and Inconjunct - Dodecagon
Sextile - Hexagon
Square - Tetragon
Trine - Trigon
Opposition - Diameter

Aspects originate as whole sign aspects/schemas in Hellenistic astrology, and they specifically used the polygon names.
The conjunction is not an aspect proper (it is called ''presence'' in the same sign). The dodecagon is extremely weak according to traditional astrology and regarded as unconfigured/in aversion/disjunct, unless related through like-principle of daylight or rising time (the so-called ''antiscia or contra-antiscia'').
Op has posted Modern Astrology aspect question on Traditional board :smile:

Osamenor

Staff member
Op has posted Modern Astrology aspect question on Traditional board :smile:

I have moved this thread to the Modern Astrology board. In modern astrology, semi-sextiles exist. In traditional astrology, they don't. Please make sure you are posting on the correct board.

GemwDepth

Account Closed
In my experience semi-sextile are like sextiles, but with far less Ooophm. I've found it only to be relevant in tight bundle charts. In those patterns its not possible for too many major aspects like sextile and squares to occur, hence a lot of weight need to be given to both semi-squares and semi-sextile. I missed them at one point of time, and eventually realized how major and powerful they were in delineating a bundle personality.

Last edited:

yuriv

I highly believe from my research that semi-sextiles act as conjunctions. Just as powerful but the energy is a bit different. With conjunctions the two planets don't differentiate each other and act as one energy, which can be problematic. But with semi sextiles the planets do notice they are different in their behavior however they still have VERY similar methods and seem to understand each other even though they work differently. There is friction definitely, simply because the planets are so different and speak the same thing in a different way. It's definitely a potent aspect because it brings major awareness I believe. It helps understand yourself and others and be more accepting, because the energy itself is almost like a sibling. They annoy you and you don't get them cos there is this huge age gap, but if you bring your awareness to their age or just try to understand them, you manage to, and still love them. xD
Even in synastry it's a nice aspect. It's not so much in your face as a square or conjunction. It acts almost like an instinct because it is a minor aspect after all. I'd say the same for inconjuncts. It's a friendly sparring aspect. xD
i like your analogy and the pointing out of how similar conjunctions and semisextiles are in expressions, thus one can say perhaps where planets in semisextile act as siblings energy where located, conjunctions act as twin. Pretty cool.

yuriv

thank you
in addition i had state that there is indeed similarities too between semisextiles and inconjuncts, in that for example mars in Sagittarius will be inconjunct say moon in taurus : Sagittarius and Taurus are both dissimilar in configuration (fire, mutable) to (earth, fixed) which is comparable to the semi-sextile experience mars in Sagittarius semisextile saturn in Capricorn (fire, mutable) to ( earth, cardinal). My suggestion then is you had find here two planets quite different in their energetic expression by placement working together for a common goal somewhat like the sibling analogy used earlier. Different now to the inconjunct with the same qualities i explained earlier albeit working towards a polar kind of relationship to achieve their goal probably because in this case that the inconjunct approaches a opposition.
Right there is the key i noticed in the relationship of those aspects.