Random Thoughts, strictly Text

petosiris

Banned
omg, i should've had my username as CapLeo

I'm too rich to even think about stealing from others lele

There is one essential virtue that an individual must practice in order to be considered good.

That virtue is rationality.

Rationality is accepting and using reason as one's only means of knowledge and guide to action. All other virtues essentially stem from this one virtue. There are six other main virtues worth noting.

Independence - using one's own reason, not relying on the minds of others to act in the world.

Honesty - staying committed to the facts regardless how uncomfortable or unbearable they are

Integrity - Comitting to the proper actions after one has determined what is correct with their reason

Productivity - Acting in a way that generates what is required to sustain and flourish in life

Pride - recognizing that you are the highest value, that you deserve happiness what is best for you, and you are a constantly striving to be your best self. Being morally ambitious, relentlessly pursuing virtue.

The only way for people to be rational is if they are left alone. If they are free to think and act for themselves under their own judgement. Reason is volitional and something that an individual must decide act upon himself. No one can do it for him. In other words, we need a political system of individual rights, and free market capitalism. Without this structure in place, people cannot hold reason as an absolute. Or on the flip side, irrational people choose a political system that goes against their freedom to choose reason.

Reason lel.

Sounds like subjective feelings to me.

Ukpoohbear

These people sound cruel and off the leash UK.

Yes, it struck me that they must be so cruel and stupid. People like this just seem to only care about their own pain and don’t seem alive enough to realize anything else. It was a stark reminder the dark side of humanity and what I am dealing with. The world is full of evil and cruelty. The poor rabbit.

ynnest

Transmuting haze into grace, you are an insightful person with a way with words. Did you know? Chiron's wife is called Chariclo, which means grace. That is the answer as to whether Chiron ever healed from his wounds or not, he did, because he found grace.

Thank you, the most important thing in my life has always been to try being popular/make efforts to make myself being seen as popular and to get massive approval from other people even though I dont deserve even a tiny bit so it makes me happy that you are giving your compliments.

Y

Ukpoohbear

Thank you, the most important thing in my life has always been to try being popular/make efforts to make myself being seen as popular and to get massive approval from other people even though I dont deserve even a tiny bit so it makes me happy that you are giving your compliments.

Y

You’re a little Barbie doll underneath all that sarcastic armour. I know it :tongue:

U

petosiris

Banned
That doesn’t make any sense.

What do you think about the following reasoning from Hume?

Since morals, therefore, have an influence on the actions and affections, it follows, that they cannot be deriv'd from reason; and that because reason alone, as we have already prov'd, can never have any such influence. Morals excite passions, and produce or prevent actions. Reason of itself is utterly impotent in this particular. The rules of morality, therefore, are not conclusions of our reason.

No one, I believe, will deny the justness of this inference; nor is there any other means of evading it, than by denying that principle, on which it is founded. As long as it is allow'd, that reason has no influence on our passions and actions, 'tis in vain to pretend, that morality is discover'd only by a deduction of reason. An active principle can never be founded on an inactive; and if reason be inactive in itself, it must remain so in all its shapes and appearances, whether it exerts itself in natural or moral subjects, whether it considers the powers of external bodies, or the actions of rational beings. - https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Treatise_of_Human_Nature_(1888).djvu/481

I don't hold to his skepticism or moral sentimentalism.

AppLeo

What do you think about the following reasoning from Hume?

I don't hold to his skepticism or moral sentimentalism.

Well I’m not surprised. Skepticism opposes religious mysticism and fundamentalism.

I, however, also disagree with skepticism. Hume is no rational philosopher.

Hume thinks that “goodness” is just whatever we feel and that there is no logic behind it. He doesn’t understand the purpose of ethics, though.

Ethics is the science of morality. We use our reason to discover our values and virtues to flourish in life. Ethics is a necessary and a rational development from our desire for LIFE. Without life, there would be no need for ethics.

You have to decide to live or not to live. If you choose life, ethics follows. If not, then there would be no need for ethics. To living creatures, goodness is not a feeling or a passion, but a rational and discoverable code of laws.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Well I’m not surprised. Skepticism opposes religious mysticism and fundamentalism.

I, however, also disagree with skepticism. Hume is no rational philosopher.

Hume thinks that “goodness” is just whatever we feel and that there is no logic behind it. He doesn’t understand the purpose of ethics, though.

Ethics is the science of morality. We use our reason to discover our values and virtues to flourish in life. Ethics is a necessary and a rational development from our desire for LIFE. Without life, there would be no need for ethics.

You have to decide to live or not to live. If you choose life, ethics follows. If not, then there would be no need for ethics. To living creatures, goodness is not a feeling or a passion, but a rational and discoverable code of laws.

Rationalism is a religious dogma, lel.

petosiris

Banned
How?

Hume was skeptical of rationalist ethics as much as he was of religious ethics.

As I said, it is an entirely subjective feeling. But we claim that it is not because of God, because he has created everything through his Wisdom and for his Wisdom. It is divinely inspired.

Last edited:

AppLeo

To be rational is to stay committed and attached to the facts of reality. Reality has identity and therefore cannot contradict itself. It abides by a certain code and structure. If it contradicted itself, it could not exist.

So a person who preaches rationality will be perceived as dogmatic, but so what? Any attempt to break from reality or to act mystically is immoral and destructive to a person’s life.

So when a person says,”omg you’re so dogmatic. Your unfettered rationalism leaves no room for mysticism or skepticism.”

Guess what my response is:

“**** right I’m DOGmatic woof woof!”

AppLeo

Hume was skeptical of rationalist ethics as much as he was of religious ethics.

As I said, it is an entirely subjective feeling. But we claim that it is not because of God, because he has created everything through his Wisdom and for his Wisdom. It is divinely inspired.

Choosing to live or did is subjective. If one chooses life, ethics or “goodness” becomes rational and discoverable.

petosiris

Banned
To be rational is to stay committed and attached to the facts of reality. Reality has identity and therefore cannot contradict itself. It abides by a certain code and structure. If it contradicted itself, it could not exist.

So a person who preaches rationality will be perceived as dogmatic, but so what? Any attempt to break from reality or to act mystically is immoral and destructive to a person’s life.

So when a person says,”omg you’re so dogmatic. Your unfettered rationalism leaves no room for mysticism or skepticism.”

Guess what my response is:

“**** right I’m DOGmatic woof woof!”

You could have just summed up your philosophy in ''I am entitled to my opinion'' with a '' :smile: '' at the end.