A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

david starling

And what's up with Trump saying "she's been here longer than you", to the Code Talkers? What sense does that make? If Warren had been here longer than the Indigenous people, that would make her an Immortal.

Last edited:

Dirius

There is some debate about it. But it not really about that. So, for sake of discussion, let's say she did.
Now, you stated it correctly, and if Trump had said that, no controversy. But he instead chose to use a well known and respected member of another culture to disparage someone who falsely claimed to be of that culture. Suppose a Caucasian portrayed himself as African American, to get something for himself. Would it be appropriate to start calling him Martin Luther King, or the name of some other prominent African American? I would label it "highly inappropriate". I realize Trump was disparaging Warren, not Pocahontas or her ethnic culture, but WHY "Pocahontas"?

Its like me calling someone that claims to be an american as a "cowboy". The pun is that he isn't one, thus he can't feel offended by it, because if he does feel offended he is just showing a high leverl of hipocricy. And it actually shows how much disrespectful the claimer of such ethnicity is to the actual people.

david starling

Its like me calling someone that claims to be an american as a "cowboy". The pun is that he isn't one, thus he can't feel offended by it, because if he does feel offended he is just showing a high leverl of hipocricy. And it actually shows how much disrespectful the claimer of such ethnicity is to the actual people.

So, someone claiming to be Argentinian who wasn't could safely be called a "gaucho"?

Dirius

So, someone claiming to be Argentinian who wasn't could safely be called a "gaucho"?

Not a good analogy, because if I was in an international group I myself wouldn't mind be called "gaucho". And argentinians in general don't care about racial slurs, so anyone actually feeling offended by the term would be a genuine hypocrite.

I would actually promote the nickname.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Diversity+in+the+Armed+Forces.jpg

demetraceres

Is there a way to block posts from individual users? This obsession with info graphics and communist ideology

I have never seen it that way. Are revelations of the atrocities against native population a reflection of a communist ideology? It's possible, but we have also the opposite situations, the revelations of China atrocities against Tibetans, for example. In both cases the genocide was accompanied by the new social order. Some call it progress.

Last edited:

david starling

Not a good analogy, because if I was in an international group I myself wouldn't mind be called "gaucho". And argentinians in general don't care about racial slurs, so anyone actually feeling offended by the term would be a genuine hypocrite.

I would actually promote the nickname.

It's not about YOU being called "gaucho", it's about someone PRETENDING to be Argentinian being called that. Calling actually Indigenous women "Pocahontas" would be like calling Mexican men "Jose", or "Pedro", if those weren't their real names. That would be insulting the ethnic culture.

Last edited:

ynnest

Is there a way to block posts from individual users? This obsession with info graphics and communist ideology is distracting from any actual conversation taking place. I don't mind reading opposing view points, but I'm not down with people shoving their monologue down my throat.

I encourage you to start looking at your own behavior before you start projecting that pattern on others. Communism and rightwing extremists are part of this set up duality war which is why the energy that those who are part of it carries projects this unsettling and negative energy wherever they are trying to settle their presence.

Y

Dirius

It's not about YOU being called "gaucho", it's about someone PRETENDING to be Argentinian being called that. Calling actually Indigenous women "Pocahontas" would be like calling Mexican men "Jose", or "Pedro", if those weren't their real names. That would be insulting the ethnic culture.

You didn't understand my point, but I guess I didn't make it clear.

The rest of the world isn't concerned with racial/discriminatory slurs. This obsession is mostly a problem in america and some parts of europe only in which the left seeks out preferential treatment and economical advancement through the use of identity politics.

If someone called me gaucho in a despective manner I wouldn't mind, I would simply reply to him in some equal insulting manner, like a man. That is how the people in most of the world handle themselves. Thus why I said its a bad analogy, cause I'm not american.

david starling

I have never seen it that way. Are revelations of the atrocities against native population a reflection of a communist ideology? It's possible, but we have also the opposite situations, the revelations of China atrocities against Tibetans, for example. In both cases the genocide was accompanied by the new social order. Some call it progress.

The takeover of Palestine by mostly Europeanized Semites known as "Jews", who believe that they are returning to their ancient homeland (from which they were expelled by the Romans, and prevented from returning by those of the then new, Islamic religion), is often compared by Progressives in the U.S., as equivalent to the takeover of North America by Christian Europeans.

david starling

Demetraceres, what's your understanding of why the Chinese government deemed it necessary to invade Tibet? Was it based on atheistic ideology, economics, or strategic location? Or some other reason?

david starling

You didn't understand my point, but I guess I didn't make it clear.

The rest of the world isn't concerned with racial/discriminatory slurs. This obsession is mostly a problem in america and some parts of europe only in which the left seeks out preferential treatment and economical advancement through the use of identity politics.

If someone called me gaucho in a despective manner I wouldn't mind, I would simply reply to him in some equal insulting manner, like a man. That is how the people in most of the world handle themselves. Thus why I said its a bad analogy, cause I'm not american.

We are a contentious bunch, and very label-conscious. What's appropriate in one country is often inappropriate in another. For example, the word "Indian" was widely replaced by the more politically correct "Native American", although it's still used, as in the case of "Indian Reservations". Now, "Native American" is less pc than "Indigenous peoples", and "Indigenous Natives". The word "American", in this context is associated with the European takeover of the entire continent, so one can't logically be considered both "Indigenous" and "American" at the same time. There are some who believe those of the Indigenous culture should not have fought for the American government against its enemies, because it was the American government that committed genocide against them. Also, there are still strong feelings of racially motivated hatred against Indigenous Natives in some areas of the country. So, it's not all in the past.

demetraceres

Demetraceres, what's your understanding of why the Chinese government deemed it necessary to invade Tibet? Was it based on atheistic ideology, economics, or strategic location? Or some other reason?

I'm sure natural resources have played the great part in it, but anyway - China claims that historically and politically Tibet is part of China, so from China's point of view Tibet has been undergoing radical changes typical for entire state.