Sidereal Astrology is More Accurate

dr. farr

No, I have been using the Alcyone/Krittika in my experiments; however, the (somewhat) better known Hipparchus is only about 30 minutes (1/2 degree) different and for the past decade they can be rounded to 30 degrees (Hipparachus = year + 109 x 50.25 divided by 3600; Alcyone/Krittika = year + 149 x 50.25 divided by 3600)

retinoid

My sidereal is all Libran and Sagittarian energy, which nobody would guess from me...my tropical is a lot of Scorpio with a little of Sagittarian. Which I can see. However, in Sidereal (and Tropical) I have 5 planets in the 8th house which could explain why I have a lot of Scorpio traits.

This question is bothering me though because I think it is important for predictions. If someone asks about their career, the tenth house needs to be the correct sign and the ruler of that house needs to be in the correct house for accuracy...Like I said, I don't identify with a lot of Libra energy that sidereal bestows upon me but I have a bunch of planets in the 6th and 8th houses which can explain it. But Idk...

JUPITERASC

My sidereal is all Libran and Sagittarian energy, which nobody would guess from me...my tropical is a lot of Scorpio with a little of Sagittarian. Which I can see. However, in Sidereal (and Tropical) I have 5 planets in the 8th house which could explain why I have a lot of Scorpio traits.

This question is bothering me though because I think it is important for predictions. If someone asks about their career, the tenth house needs to be the correct sign and the ruler of that house needs to be in the correct house for accuracy...Like I said, I don't identify with a lot of Libra energy that sidereal bestows upon me but I have a bunch of planets in the 6th and 8th houses which can explain it. But Idk...
Not only (a) keeping tabs on current transits to/from/by natal MC planetary ruler but also (b) researching - checking back over past years for events potentially involving natal MC planetary ruler is the way to find answers to this important question in relation to prediction by contrasting Sidereal MC ruler transits with Tropical MC ruler transits.

Other important considerations are that frequently the MC ruler is in a Sign disposited by another planet - plus it is not unusual to find that the MC is located in a Sign other than that of the 10th house :smile:

kennedyrosewhith

Can I just point out that you are not just your Sun sign - you have nine other planets and two major points to consider. Basing your judgement of tropical astrology solely on superficial, cookbook interpretations of Sun positions is like deciding a cake is delicious because the icing is a nice colour.

Can I also point out that astrology uses geocentric positions of the planets because we are all born and live on the Earth, not the Sun.

I was typing up this same thing just now. Except much more wordy, haha.

The thing about sidereal astrology that i don't understand is that the constellations aren't even all 30 degrees wide. So why are sidereal signs 30 degrees wide? It just seems like sidereal is hailed as being THE accurate picture of the sky and... it's not.

Regarding my own sidereal chart, if you ditch the signs, then i'm almost as Plutonian and Saturnian in my sidereal chart as i am in my tropical chart. After all, all the aspects are the same, and all the planets are still in the same houses. The signs are just different- and i don't agree with where they are! :biggrin: I saw someone mention how some astrologers don't use the signs as much in sidereal, what was that about?

EDIT:
Also an interesting article on House systems that posits Topocentric as the most logical system, well worth a read. I think you'd enjoy this one, Uranian; http://www.astrowisdom.net/articles/in-search-of-best-house-system.htm

And thanks for posting this, Zonark. I use topocentric (or prefer it) because i like how it doesn't fall apart at the poles, and what little i could find about it made sense, but i could never find much.

Last edited:

MSO

Using sect is vedic now? :lol: Kid, you crack me up.

Get off this sidereal kick. Or at least stop making threads about it. It's a phase and you'll eventually come out of it.

Rebel Uranian

Using sect is vedic now? :lol: Kid, you crack me up.

No, just making Saturn nocturnal and Venus diurnal is Vedic.

Get off this sidereal kick. Or at least stop making threads about it. It's a phase and you'll eventually come out of it.

Phase:

3. a side, aspect, or point of view: This is only one phase of the question.

Yes, it is a point of view. It's my point of view. I'll come out of it when I die, quit astrology, or get proven wrong.

Haizea said:
The ones who are more interested in defining and describing Signs are Psychological Astrologers. Or let's call it in whatever way you want, like those who are not predicting but attempting to talk about how a person is.

...And they failed. I know nothing about myself and I know more then they do. They must know a negative amount about me. I'm a very introspective person, so I know a little more about me than most people do, which is cheating on my part. The only thing you can't learn about yourself from introspection is how you interact with people. Most psych astrologers appear to be nearly complete extroverts who are only interested in how people interact, so...

Rebel Uranian

introspection:

1. observation or examination of one's own mental and emotional state, mental processes, etc.; the act of looking within oneself.

2. the tendency or disposition to do this.

3. sympathetic introspection.

It's hard to get an objective viewpoint of yourself since you "move" every time you have to look at yourself, so you do have a point.

[From the far future: Curse the edit button's unlimited time, or at least the delete button's. Haizea...]

Last edited:

Zonark

No. It can be, and (@Zonark -) I'm actually thinking about using Vedic, especially since I use some of their techniques such as sect, but sidereal does not require Vedic delineations. In fact, astronomers use it in determining (generally unimportant) things such as the Great Year.

Sidereal - of or pertaining to the stars

Sidereal astrology is astrology that uses the position of the stars rather than the invented 12-sign division based on equinoxes and solstices. Of course, most sidereal systems use the same constellations in their 30* divisions as crossed the ecliptic 2000 years ago, but the astrological zodiac is such an imaginary thing it doesn't matter much anyhow.

Sidereal does seem more sound, if only because the stars are not as subject to change as the Earth's axis.

I've always been intrigued by the astrological systems which posited purely theoretical mathematics as the basis for their derivation since the planets, stars and real heavenly bodies are subject to changes (yes, even stars. It might take millions of years but they do go supernova or implode eventually). Our own Earth's axis just recently shifted due to the Chilean earthquake. How many astrologers do you think took that into account? Many planets, particularly Mercury are constantly bombarded with asteroids.

In a purely theoretical astrology model, the configurations of planets, aspects and so on aren't mathematically derived from the objective movements of the planets. They're derived as the functions of octaves or some other purely mathematical construct. That kind of astrology interests me just as much as astrology derived from actual objects.

Rebel Uranian

In a purely theoretical astrology model, the configurations of planets, aspects and so on aren't mathematically derived from the objective movements of the planets. They're derived as the functions of octaves or some other purely mathematical construct. That kind of astrology interests me just as much as astrology derived from actual objects.

That wouldn't be astrology any more. That would be pure-mathematical divination.

Zonark

As soon as we applied it, it would no longer be pure math, and I hadn't realized that in naming it :whistling:

:lol: well that's true too!

There's this interesting article relating to theoretically derived astrology that MSO had given me to read. You should ask him for it if you find that kind of thing intriguing.

MSO

Phase:

3. a side, aspect, or point of view: This is only one phase of the question.

Yes, it is a point of view. It's my point of view. I'll come out of it when I die, quit astrology, or get proven wrong.

Phase-

1. A distinct stage of development:
2. A temporary manner, attitude, or pattern of behavior:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/phase

Let's not look up very specific definitions to win arguments. You know what I meant. Twisting people's words will not make you right.

One day, when you're not 14 and your emotions don't shift from one extreme to the other on a weekly basis, you'll understand.

JUPITERASC

Sidereal does seem more sound, if only because the stars are not as subject to change as the Earth's axis.

I've always been intrigued by the astrological systems which posited purely theoretical mathematics as the basis for their derivation since the planets, stars and real heavenly bodies are subject to changes (yes, even stars. It might take millions of years but they do go supernova or implode eventually). Our own Earth's axis just recently shifted due to the Chilean earthquake. How many astrologers do you think took that into account? Many planets, particularly Mercury are constantly bombarded with asteroids.

The tropical astrological system is a purely theoretical model:smile:

That wouldn't be astrology any more. That would be pure-mathematical divination.

The Tropical astrology system is not based on reality because the Sun does not orbit Earth and no account is taken either of precession or of the surrounding 'Images' or constellations. Ptolemy 'explained' Retrogradation with the use of 'epicycles' and the mathematical theorems of brilliant predecessors

In the Ptolemaic system of astronomy, although it had been developed by previous Greek astronomers such as Apollonius of Perga and Hipparchus of Rhodes, who used it extensively, during the second century BC, almost three centuries before Ptolemy - the epicycle (literally: 'on the circle in Greek') was a geometric model used to explain the variations in speed and direction of the apparent motion of the Moon, Sun, and planets: in particular it explained the retrograde motion of the five planets known at the time. Secondarily, it also explained changes in the apparent distances of the planets from Earth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonius_of_Perga

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/retrograde/aristotle.html :smile:

:lol: well that's true too!
There's this interesting article relating to theoretically derived astrology that MSO had given me to read. You should ask him for it if you find that kind of thing intriguing.

That theoretical construct - the 'Tropical Zodiac' is indeed most intriguing:smile:

Zonark

The tropical astrological system is a purely theoretical model:smile:

The Tropical astrology system is not based on reality because the Sun does not orbit Earth and no account is taken either of precession or of the surrounding 'Images' or constellations. Ptolemy 'explained' Retrogradation with the use of 'epicycles' and the mathematical theorems of brilliant predecessors

In the Ptolemaic system of astronomy, although it had been developed by previous Greek astronomers such as Apollonius of Perga and Hipparchus of Rhodes, who used it extensively, during the second century BC, almost three centuries before Ptolemy - the epicycle (literally: 'on the circle in Greek') was a geometric model used to explain the variations in speed and direction of the apparent motion of the Moon, Sun, and planets: in particular it explained the retrograde motion of the five planets known at the time. Secondarily, it also explained changes in the apparent distances of the planets from Earth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonius_of_Perga

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/retrograde/aristotle.html :smile:

That theoretical construct - the 'Tropical Zodiac' is indeed most intriguing:smile:

:pouty: :pinched:

*bows*

Yes sensei I shall study more carefully next time. :ninja:

Rebel Uranian

The tropical zodiac is inspired by a true story. Take the equinox and solstice points (real points in time) and divide them each by 3 (a real number.) It's not entirely physical, but the same can be said of most sidereal zodiacs (notice the plural) used by astrologers.