okay I'm new to horary

piscesascendant

And I'll need to be a bit walked through how this works. I did a little research to find out more on this, but the more I read, the more I am confused.

Now, I get that a questuon is asked and a chart is drawn up based on the time and date of the question. But as far as what steps I take from there, that's where I'll need help.

I'll just throw out the question and backtrack as necessary in terms of drawing up a horary chart (I'll need help with that too, please).

The question revolves around whether some poems I submitted for publication will be published? The wait from the date of submitting them is up to 3 months. They were submitted within the past 2 weeks. Five poems total.

Now, what steps do I need to do to put together a chart and interpret it?

Thanks, and thanks for your patience with a horary newbie.

archergirl

Hi there, and welcome to the world of horary!

The first problem, I guess, is that you have posed your question already (it needs to be timed to *exactly* when you form it as a question), so you might want to take the time/date/place from whence you first posted your question on this site, to be the 'correct' time. Horary is very precise and down to the minute! You'll have to juggle the clock on the forum site, since it's set to Romanian time, and translate it to the time where YOU are, if you see what I mean. In other words, at what time in your city did you post the question on the forum?

Next, it would be good to visit the Education Board for the horary article. Publishing is a 9th house matter, and success in your endeavours is the 10th house. You, as the querent, will always, always, always, get the first house, and usually the Moon.

For instructions on posting a chart, go here.

Horary works best with Regiomontanus houses; they are by far the most accurate. If you create a chart image at Astrodienst, save the image at 63% and use Regiomontanus houses. I would recommend NOT including asteroids for beginners, and I would also recommend NOT 'showing all aspects'. You only the need the basics for a horary chart. The simpler, the better. Use the default chart style.

I would also recommend the Skyscript website for further horary instruction.

So, do a bit of reading, get your chart posted up, have a shot at reading what you think might be the answer, and we'll help you along. It's not as scary as it looks. Keep it simple. Applying aspects, separating aspects. Planets in good shape, planets in bad shape.

AG:)

piscesascendant

Okay, here's another shot at it. And I backtracked the time of the question to the exact minute asked: 6: 52 AM Eastern time, U.S.A.

Will my submitted poems get published? (6:52 AM)

publishingquestion.jpg

Okay, here goes...

My ruler appears to be Mercury, and the publishing part appears to be Uranus. Taking into account Moon, Mercury and Uranus...

The Moon is in a loose conjunction to Mercury (still within 10 degrees, but loose), and Mercury sextiles Uranus. Uranus is in the 11th house of networking and friends, and the Moon and Mercury are in the 12th house of what I call "the house of liquidation".

Another thing... I notice the the North Node trines my Moon, so maybe this could work out?

Aquarius ruling the 9th house of publishing, a well as computers... the poems were submitted by email attachment.

Bottom line is... I've been trying to keep this below the radar and have only shown the poems to a few select friends (Uranus the natural ruler of friendships, rules publishing and is in the 11th house). Although this could be a stretch, it has been a dream of mine to get published by a reputable and established venue--book publisher or magazine... in this case the latter--and man is this magazine reputable! Anyways, it has been a dream, and Uranus is in Pisces (dreams, etc.). Also, since Uranus is in the 11th, could that mean that this might be the start of others noticing my work and keeping tabs on my manuscripts for future projects? Or simply that the magazine will become my "go to" for future publications?

Bottom line is, I think that the magazine will keep me dangling for the 3 months they claim it takes to get back to an author, but that my chances might be better than average that it will happen. Granted, the Moon and MErcury are in the 12th house, but the way I look at it is, I really hadn't pursued poetry and a previous interest for publication. Now all of a sudden, I had so many poems pouring out of me that I had to make a list of titles for future poems to write--hence, lquidation of all that was inside of me. I know it's the "house of loss", but maybe that could mean a loss of all that was previously bottled up inside me and now wil be shared and published.

So... how did my interpretation do? Please, give me pointers!

Now that I know little bit more, I LOVE HORARY! It's fascinating, and downright creepy (in a positive way of course) how uncanny and accurate it can be).

Now, what are others' thoughts on this?

As much feedback on this is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• astro_2gw_61_horary_questionpublishing_hr.64771.31016.gif
    astro_2gw_61_horary_questionpublishing_hr.64771.31016.gif
    24.9 KB · Views: 24

archergirl

Very well done effort.:)

One major thing you overlooked is that the Moon is combust and in the 12th house. This will almost certainly make the answer a 'no', because nothing is more debilitated than a combust Moon. However, let's look at the symbolism of the whole chart.

It is interesting that you said you haven't shown the poems to anyone but your friends so far, as both the Moon and Mercury, your significator, are in the 12th house, where things are 'hidden'. The combusted Moon also shows the matter as hidden, because the light of the Sun overpowers anything in its proximity.

Mercury, you, is retrograde, and applies in retrograde to Saturn, 9th AND 10th ruler. However, it doesn't perfect the application before Mercury turns direct again (this is where an ephemeris comes in handy). So it looks like this particular opportunity isn't for you.

Don't give up hope yet, though. You'll note that the North Node sits on the cusp of the 9th house. While this by itself is a weak testimony for a positive answer, what it DOES suggest is that ultimately you will have some luck in published matters. Maybe just not this time around.

Persevere. Getting stuff published is actually very difficult and highly competitive. Get some feedback from other writers (NOT your friends and family, unless one of them is a poetry lecturer!) on your work (ABCTales.com is a great forum for budding poets. You'll usually get a good response if you participate and give your own feedback to others) and practice, practice, practice.

AG:)

piscesascendant

Thanks! Appreciated the feedback.. Actually, I've been part of the group writers.net, and one VERY helpful gentleman said DO NOT post your poetry to the forums, as some people wished me to do. He said doing so would constitute publication (he is a published writer and knows his stuff) and said that if a magazine's requirements were for no previously published material, my posting on that site would violate that agreement.

One other thing I thought of.... I'd like to take another stab at this and post the date and exact time and place (I entered the suburb where I live as the location since I was home at my computer when I submitted it , so this is about as accurate a date, time, and place as I'm going to get) I submitted my poems by email attachment. The time will be EXACT of course, since the email recorded that time. This, I feel, might even be the most precise I can hope for. I'll see in moments whether this changes the interpretation. Crossing my fingers, and...

Here goes:

publishingquestion.jpg

Okay... this time, Saturn is my ruler and Venus rules publication.

Saturn is singleton in Virgo (work oriented, and these poems WERE work to write, but perhaps also it could signify a new career or at least signify a new career in writing, with poetry just being the gateway.)

Venus (publishing) is in the 3rd house of communication), in Aries--in its detriment, but not its fall. Venus simply lacks its natural sweetness and can make it unstable in Aries. The poetry I submitted wasn't the usual sweetness and can be a bit jarring in its imagery at times. Of course, this could also mean I get denied publication in a very curt manner. I'd like to consider it the former, though.

The Moon is conjunct Uranus in the 2nd, so maybe that could mean publication and financial compensation?

One last word about both Saturn and the Moon. Saturn is singleton (known for perfectionism as a singleton--I was born with a Saturn singleton, I know about perfectionism through thoroughness). I WORKED on these poems to make sure they would be up to specs for the magazine I am submitting to...a nationally renowned, even internationally renowned, publication that someone I know who KNOWS culture suggested I submit to. She's a friend, but objective.

Anyways, see what you think of it and my interpretation this time.

Hopefully I did better!

Thanks and I hope to hear from you or someone else soon!

freedomlover

I have a few comments for you ( and for correction by more experienced horarists, if need be)

I would have reached the same conclusion as ArcherGirl ( Yeah! freedomlover! you got one right! ) about Mercury(R) - you and Saturn ( sig for publisher) not connecting. I also would have reached the same conclusion as AG about the NN being conjunct the 9th house cusp being promising for some other opportunity to arise.

The action is Moon at 2'39" Gemini in 12th is exactly - within 4 arc minutes, conjunct Pluto(R) co-ruler of the 6th - in the 7th house. This tight inconjunct shows something, I think. Was there a prize involved - monetary payment for getting published? There seems to be some kind of adjustment aspect here.

Moon will then conjunct the Sun, ruler of your 3rd house of communication, where also the South Node appears on cusp - also ruler of your 4th house.

After Moon conjuncts Sun ( new beginnings) it will square the ruler of the 9th with no interference that I can see. I'm curious as to why Saturn is in your 4th house. A square in horary, from my understanding can be an opportunity, but with alot of compromise and work. I'm wondering if you'll be asked to edit a poem slightly? or that you won't with this magazine THIS time - but submit more work next time? Or if this possibly represents a new offer to work from another arena, if you're willing.

One thought I had of possible interpretation with ruler of 9th being in your 4th - is some kind of local magazine - or State magazine - like WV has "Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia" - has lots of photos and some original poetry. Or possibly it is encouraging you to have a book of your poetry published locally. (Some local WV poets have done this)

One other thought: 12th house planets can show things given for free - so maybe encouraging you to see the "gift" that your poetry "gives" to others.

End of the matter is Sun, as well. So Moon is soon to conjunct the end of the matter. That certainly seems favorable to me! All of this 3rd house activity might mean you could start "giving" to others by reading your poetry - at some coffeehouse type things? "Prime the pump" - show the Universe that you are serious about your gift, and want others to be blessed with it?

Good luck, PA!

FL

Last edited:

piscesascendant

freedomlover, thanks for your post too. It's interesting that you mention about the local publication. Here's why... if I get published by the magazine I just submitted to, I plan to publish those poems, in addition to others, in a book that I will self-publish (and I have the means to do so). I plan to use the website that will serve as the venue for publication, and post--if all goes well--that information as a selling point for sales.

Now, I have posted what I feel is a more accurate chart for this question just above--the one that has Capricorn as the ascendant. If people would be so kind to comment on that as I have already offered that interpretation as well, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Thanks to all who have responded so far!

starlink

Hello Piscesascendant, warm welcome to Horary Astrology!
You did not bad at all, considering you are a newby! Very good effort!

Just a pointer from my side: traditional horary does not make use of the planets Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. These planets could not be seen with the naked eye in those times, so Aquarius is therefore ruled by Saturn, Neptune by Jupiter and Pluto by Mars. Some modern astrologers, I believe, do use them, and some of us do take note of them when they really stand out, and that is when they are positioned conjunct an Angle (1st, 4th, 7th or 10th house). But we never use them as significators of houses ever.
Pluto can be interpreted as some event which can have a great impact on you and transform you in a way, Uranus can be seen as a sign of an unexpected event, change or divorce and Neptune shows desillusion usually or seeing things too unrealistically.

So in this chart, ruler of house 9 is Saturn and Saturn will square the Ascendant, so that is another sign for a "no" I'm afraid.

End of the matter is Sun, as well. So Moon is soon to conjunct the end of the matter. That certainly seems favorable to me!
I would not see it like this Freedomlover. Like AG also mentioned the conjunction of Sun and Moon is the worst, unless they are representing Querent and Quisited which is not the case here. That's why I did not see this Saturn-Asc. square as a "positive" square, meaning a "yes with difficulty".

The 4th house is the 8th of the 9th house, the "death" of publishing. Your interpretation however of a local magazine is actually a very original idea!

Piscesascendant,please do what AG said, dont give up. Some writers have been turned down over and over again and finally they got there and became tops!!

Good luck to you!

Starlink

Last edited:

piscesascendant

Oh I am so hoping people see the second horary chart I posted (and my take on its interpretation)) because I feel this would be the most accurate.

Thanks!

freedomlover

starlink said:
I would not see it like this Freedomlover. Like AG also mentioned the conjunction of Sun and Moon is the worst, unless they are representing Querent and Quisited which is not the case here. That's why I did not see this Saturn-Asc. square as a "positive" square, meaning a "yes with difficulty".
Starlink,

Maybe I should clarify:
I didn't intend "favorable" to mean that this particular venture would pan out. As I mentioned, I had gotten the same understanding out of it as AG had said. What I meant by "favorable" was that possibly some other avenue would open up, if he kept looking and trying - also echoing what AG said:

Don't give up hope yet, though. You'll note that the North Node sits on the cusp of the 9th house. While this by itself is a weak testimony for a positive answer, what it DOES suggest is that ultimately you will have some luck in published matters. Maybe just not this time around.

The more I practice with horary, and see outcomes - the more I see that the question as asked may be a "no", but the horary may still give related details. So, for now, I'm going to go with the possibility that a new venture in communicating his poetry may come up. (Moon conjuncting Sun in Gemini) But, unfortunately, I do not see any real signs of success with the current venture.:(

freedomlover

piscesascendant said:
Oh I am so hoping people see the second horary chart I posted (and my take on its interpretation)) because I feel this would be the most accurate.

Thanks!
If I'm understanding you correctly, PA, that this is a chart of the precise moment you submitted your entry - then it would be an event chart, not a horary chart - 2 different animals.

However, that's not to say that something can't be gleaned from it. The first thing that jumped out to me is that the sig for the publishing house (9th cusp) is Venus in Aries in the 3rd - so they will get back to you. The second thing is that it is applying a close inconjunct with your Sig of Saturn in Virgo in the 8th. 8th would be their turned 12th... so..... I'm a big believer in the power of an inconjunct. There seems to be something about their reply that "straightens you out" or causes you to take another direction. Sometimes inconjuncts are described as "forks in the road".

Hope that helps,

FL

Last edited:

piscesascendant

Ah... event chart. My bad. Just figured I'd go for the accuracy. Consider my chart retroactive, in that case, lol.

I appreciate the feedback, still.... and in the event I do get published, I'll try to remember this thread and post the links to the poems here.

Thanks again.

starlink

The more I practice with horary, and see outcomes - the more I see that the question as asked may be a "no", but the horary may still give related details.

Yes, that is right. I also think that a blunt NO is not always the right thing to tell someone:)

Cheers, Starlink

piscesascendant

I'm taking one last stab at this particular question (will my poetry get publish in [such-and-such magazine], for two reasons...

1) the first chart I posted, I realized I had not used the time of the question, but the time of the post, which took several minutes. People could say, 'You will still get the same ascendant probably".... which could very well be true, but I thought let's make this EXACT.

2) the second chart I used the time of the event, not the time of the question.

So now, I concentrated on the question ("will my poetry get published by the magazine I submitted to?") and noted the time on my computer, plugged in the information to astro.com with the house system recommended, and here it is:

newpoetryquestion.jpg

Mars is self, Jupiter is publication. Mars in ruler on Aries in 1st.... could I be making a name for myself?

I see that Mars (in the 1st) sextiles Jupiter (below the radar in the 12th). I've read that squares and oppositions mean "no". And that trine, conjunctions, and sextiles can mean "yes".

Hmmmmm :)

starlink

Hello Piscesascendant, I copied my answer to you in my PM to this thread. I had not seen that you had also asked the same question here. So for others to follow my way of looking at his new chart:

Okay... this time, Saturn is my ruler and Venus rules publication.

YES. SATURN IS IN YOUR 8TH HOUSE, WORRYING ABOUT THE OUTCOME;) . VENUS IS INDEED NOT STRONG, IN YOUR 3RD HOUSE. HOW VERY DESCRIPTIVE THIS IS! RULER 9 IN 3.

MARC EDMUND JONES, A FAMOUS HORARY ASTROLOGER ALSO LOOKS AT CHART PATTERNS AND YOU SEE THAT SATURN IS THE HANDLE OF THAT BOWL WHERE ALL THE OTHER PLANETS ARE IN. THIS IS CALLED A BUCKET PATTERN. ALL ENERGIES WILL BE DIRECTED BY SATURN, SO YES, HARD WORK, SLOW ADVANCEMENT BUT OFTEN ALSO REWARD FOR ALL THE WORK DONE.

Of course, this could also mean I get denied publication in a very curt manner.
WHEN A PLANET IS IN DETRIMENT IT HAS NO POWER TO ACT AND THIS VENUS IS SQUARING YOUR ASCENDANT. SOMEHOW THE PUBLISHER SEEMS TO HAVE A PROBLEM IN PUBLISHING YOUR POEMS OR IS MAKING IT DIFFICULT FOR YOU OR PUBLISHING ITSELF WILL NOT BE WITHOUT OBSTACLES.

The Moon is conjunct Uranus in the 2nd, so maybe that could mean publication and financial compensation?
NO, MOON IS YOUR CO-RULER AND BEING IN THE 2ND ONLY SHOWS YOUR DESIRE TO EARN MONEY.MOON ALWAYS SHOWS WHERE THE HEART IS.

AS I WROTE IN THE ORIGINAL THREAD, URANUS ONLY SHOWS A SUDDEN CHANGE OR SITUATION. IN THE 2ND THIS COULD BE REGARDING YOUR INCOME OR REGARDING YOUR SELF CONFIDENCE.

MOON HOWEVER IS ON HER WAY TO SEXTILE YOUR SUN WHICH, WHEN PERFECTED, SHOWS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR SUCCESS. UNFORTUNATELY MOON WILL ENCOUNTER MERCURY FIRST WHICH MEANS OBSTRUCTION.
SO I HAVE THE FEELING THAT THERE COULD BE A MONEY PROBLEM ARISING FOR YOU. PUBLISHING A BOOK OR POEMS, COSTS MONEY AND MAYBE THEY ARE ASKING TOO MUCH MONEY AND YOU HAVE TO RETHINK (MERC. RETRO) THINGS OVER.

OR, THAT THEY ( OTHERS) DONT WANT TO SUPPORT YOU. 8TH HOUSE IS THE 2ND OF THE 7TH. AND RULED BY A RETROGRADE MERCURY AND WITH SATURN IN THEIR 2ND (ALSO SHOWING THAT YOU, SATURN, NEED THEIR SUPPORT), DOES NOT LOOK VERY FAVORABLE I'M AFRAID.

IT COULD ALSO MEAN THAT SOMEONE IN YOUR FAMILY, WHO ORIGINALLY WANTED TO SUPPORT YOU (MERC. IN THE 4TH), HAS CHANGED HIS OR HER MIND ABOUT THAT.

VENUS AND MARS, RULER 9 AND 3, WILL NOT MAKE THE PERFECTION AS MARS WILL DISAPPEAR IN THE NEXT SIGN BEFORE VENUS CAN CATCH UP WITH HIM. THIS SHOWS A "NO", BUT PROBABLY NOT BECAUSE OF THE PUBLISHERS BUT BECAUSE OF YOURSELF "RUNNING AWAY" FROM THE PUBLISHER.

END OF THE MATTER, ALSO VENUS, IS LEFT NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO NEXT (DETRIMENT). THE OUTCOME IS WEAK.

someone I know who KNOWS culture suggested I submit to. She's a friend, but objective.

SHE IS JUPITER AND VOID OF COURSE (26°). SHE CANNOT DO ANYTHING FOR YOU. RULED BY SATURN IN VIRGO SHE CERTAINLY IS CRITICAL AND THUS OBJECTIVE;)

AS YOU SEE, EVEN WITH A NEW RULER OF THE 9TH, THE OUTCOME REMAINS THE SAME. STILL, I WOULD NOT GIVE UP. PUBLISHING IS VERY DIFFICULT AND NERVE WRECKING. TRY OTHER MAGAZINES (MAYBE LESS PRESTIGEOUS ONE'S FIRST)AS WELL. ONCE YOU ARE ABLE TO PUBLISH IN THOSE, YOU THEN CAN RETURN TO THIS MAGAZINE AND HOPEFULLY WITH MORE SUCCESS!

CHEERS, STARLINK

piscesascendant

Ah, but there's a newer chart still. I just keep 'em coming, don't I? Except this one noted the correct time of the question, and treated the time like a question, not like an event, like I did in the 2nd chart.

Thanks, though.

starlink

IT COULD ALSO MEAN THAT SOMEONE IN YOUR FAMILY, WHO ORIGINALLY WANTED TO SUPPORT YOU (MERC. IN THE 4TH), HAS CHANGED HIS OR HER MIND ABOUT THAT.
After reading what you wrote in your other post, mentioning that you can publish yourself, than this "someone in your family" could be yourself. Maybe you will indeed decide to publish and pay for it yourself (the Moon in the 2nd going to conjunct Uranus, changes in something associated with finances) or are thinking this possibility over (Merc,retro).

natasa812

I have a question on this post:
do we use 9th or 10th for publishing and only if it concernes poems or should we use the 3rd house (or even the 2nd of possesions) generaly for anything written.

Because when I asked similar question about publishing a dictionary, with FL we used my 3rd - and even we were thinking about using the 2nd of possesions - and maybe we were wrong.

Also, if it is Internet publishing do we have to take under consideration Uranus for internet and not another planet?

Thank you in advance