How important is the "orb value" in a chart?

The19thLaw

I think the rule of thumb is oppositions and squares are negative while conjunctions have the highest value.

Say you have one chart with an Orb value of 700 and another with the Orb value of 2000 or something, does it mean the latter is a much more ideal chart and an overall stronger individual?

waybread

Orbs are normally measured in degrees from the exact (partile) aspect. The tighter the orb, the more likely you are to feel the relationship between the two planets.

Whether a conjunction is experienced as beneficial or troublesome depends upon the nature of the planets involved.

Astrologers use different rules for how wide an orb is acceptable, to still claim that the aspect pertains. I use the following:

10 degrees: moon, sun
5-7 degrees: other planets.

I tend to allow the wider orb for the conjunction and opposition, but the narrower orb for the sextile, trine, and square. But you know it if you feel it.

BTW, what is the 19th law?

Chart angles and sensitive points have no orb.

greybeard

What is "orb value"?

Sounds like one of them new-fangled gadgets invented by someone who got lost in astrology and decided he was just the guy to set it straight.

JUPITERASC

I think the rule of thumb is oppositions and squares are negative

while conjunctions have the highest value.
Say you have one chart with an Orb value of 700
and another with the Orb value of 2000 or something, does it mean the latter
is a much more ideal chart and an overall stronger individual?
would be useful if you would link to source of these "orb values" :smile:

wan

Chart angles and sensitive points have no orb.

Really? Does this mean that a planet would have to be exact with an angle? For example, if a person's IC is at 4 degree Pisces, only a planet at 4 degree Pisces would be conjunct the IC and even really close ones like 3 and 5 degree would not work?

Lin

Obviously the tighter the aspect the more "obvious" it will be....you will feel it and it will have a certain type of power that is not up for argument.

BUT - I've seen charts with aspect orbs wider than usual that are also powerful. There will always be additional aspects or positions to support that questionable aspect.

and sometimes you don't "feel" it as it can be a subliminal energy....a 12th house energy or something similar....undefinable unless you study astrology or have a therapist who can help you understand the energy and how it's working. Or sometimes eventually you are mature enough or get enough messages that allow you to discover the dynamic by yourself.

Planets conj angles also have orbs. It depends upon the planet....and other aspects to the same angle or planet on or near the angle.

Remember that the chart is a map of CLUES. EVERY position, aspect, sign, whatever...is a clue. When they "pile up" that means they are supporting the dynamic. That is why an astrologer can see it. We are trained to see the clues quickly and notice the dynamics and then by extrapolation we can come to some conclusions. If we have enough experience we can "see" the information we are looking for....because we know where to look. Like on a road map. At first a road map looks like a mass of lines and words....it takes some experience and study to get to be able to read a road map.

Because the astrological chart is a map of "metaphorical clues" it's much more complicated than a road map. However: it is not "occult". It's right out there for anyone who takes the time to learn it. To study and research.

LIN

BaoSanniang

I don't know if I am using reasonable orbs, but here's what I think:

Conjunction: 9.5 degrees
Opposition: 9.5 degrees
Square: 8.5 degrees
Trine: 7 degrees
Sextile: 5 degrees

Lin

"Well if you do natal charts on astrology cafe you might see what I am getting at."

Many astrologers have their own method of valuing something....whether in a natal chart, synastry, or with orbs or other parts of a chart.

So...since the people here, some of whom are experienced astrologers, are not familiar with the process and methods from a specific astrology web site, PLEASE try to explain in your own words what you mean by your original question. I have never put number values on orbs and I've been giving readings for 40 years. So....please be so good as to illuminate us.
Thanks
LIN

greybeard

Interesting. You have at least 4 experienced astrologers here, with well over 100 years combined experience, and none of us knows about these orb values.

Does that tell you anything?