Mayan Astrology & psychotherapy

Following on from:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9243

I'm a psychotherapist and occaisionally use Mayan astrology in sessions. I use Mayan astrology because it is what I'm familiar with - the same principal could easily be used with Western astrology.

I do not ask my clients to 'believe' in astrology - whether they do or not is up to the individual and not directly relevent to the therapy. What I do is create a complete personality profile of the client and go through it with them, asking questions such as:
  • what aspects of the profile do you think are accurate?
  • what aspects would friends of yours say were accurate?
  • what aspects reflect what you think about you but others would not see in you?
  • considering first impressions of you, what parts would appear accurate?
Often, clients will see in their profile aspects of themselves that they are somewhat aware of but rarely think about (preferring not to think about). Probably, the most useful part of the astrology is that it helps client's see patterns of behaviour and motivations repeating throughout their lives.

Of interest to this forum, is probably that very often clients with similar problems have the same day signs. Which is good news for the predictive power of astrology.

With permission, I'll post a brief case study of one of my clients.

K, was born Jun 9 1976 which according to Mayan astrology means her day sign is Cib (keeb). She came to me initially for hypnotherapy to help with overcoming a fear of public speaking. Having recently been promoted at work, the need to stand up and present information, as well as chair meetings and similar responsibilites was causing her concern. Nerves were getting the better of her and see wanted help overcoming them.

After successful hypnosis, K expressed an intrerest in Mayan astrology (knowing I used it in therapy). Before I had created her chart, I had already discussed her attitudes to work during the hypnotherapy. K's anxiety was heavily routed in what her 'superiors' (her word) thought of her. Highly status conscious, K was very sensitive to the idea of hierarchy and the need to climb the ladder. Part of her hypnotherapy was about building self-confidence in who she was and not laying so great an emphasis on the opinions of her colleagues. From what I knew about her, I predicted that she would be a Cib.

Taking her date of birth, I immediately discovered (admittedly to my delight) that she was a Cib. After constructing her chart and us going through it, K remembered various times in her life when she was 'used' or 'taken for granted' by people she saw as superior in status to her. And that she often put herself in this situation by seeking similar status. Over the following weeks we explored how she could avoid repeating this pattern and concentrating on applying herself to her career goals (which is nothing wrong in itself as long as status doesn't become be-all and end-all).

I hope this has been of interest and would be interested in hearing of Western astrology (something I'm not as familar with) being used in a similar way.

Arian Maverick

I am no psychotherapist, but I am fascinated by this case study. How do you calculate one's day sign using Mayan astrology?

She came to me initially for hypnotherapy to help with overcoming a fear of public speaking. Having recently been promoted at work, the need to stand up and present information, as well as chair meetings and similar responsibilites was causing her concern. Nerves were getting the better of her and see wanted help overcoming them.

There are many aspects of public speaking and it is difficult to isolate them, yet the two aspects I immediately think of are the performance aspect (i.e. standing in front of others) and the speaking aspect (i.e. saying what you wish to say persuasively and eloquently). I imagine that the former could possibly be signified by the position of the Sun in the natal chart, while the later could be signified by the position of Mercury in the natal chart. This is quite simplistic, but we would need to see her exact natal chart to ascertain more information about the possible source of this fear.

After constructing her chart and us going through it, K remembered various times in her life when she was 'used' or 'taken for granted' by people she saw as superior in status to her. And that she often put herself in this situation by seeking similar status.

I am curious if this client had any planets afflicted in her tenth house, which is generally regarded as the house of one's superiors in western astrology.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Wilmingtonian

This fascinates me. I've never looked into Mayan Astrology until tonight. Can you recommend a good website to get me going?

My DOB is 9/17/1977, and if I calculated that correctly, my day sign is Muluc. I'd love to research what that means.

I thought it was very interesting to see the description "Muluc/Offering/Water... The Power of Emotions" on the website I used, as my astrological signature in Western astrology is Fixed Water.

I'd love to hear more about this topic.

Arian Maverick

What website did you use, Wilmingtonian? I encountered a site called 13 Moons, which seem to use very different descriptions. Your information seems closer to what PSI Society is referring to.

EDIT: According to Mayan Majix, I'm Tone: 1 - Unity, Sun Sign: STORM (CAUAC) (6th Night of Planetary cycle). I find also find this interesting because my natal chart has a strong emphasis upon Aries and the first house.

According to the description, "Storms are also associated with the moon and the cycles of the moon, which are the meter of the feminine aspect of creation." This may be coincidence, but I have the Moon conjunct my natal Ascendant.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:
Wilmingtonian

If you were born 17th September 1977 then your day sign is Imix (eemish).

Lively / secretive

Imix types are highly energetic and creative. Whatever they get involved with, they get deep into it quite intensely. Their projects in life usually involve creating something new, often starting with nothing and building up from there. Although willing to expend great amounts of energy on these projects, if they have no projects on they feel unmotivated to do anything sometimes to the point of laziness. They understand the world through their feelings and emotional responses rather rely on the logical outcomes and rational arguments.

Assertive (which some may see as aggression) in the pursuit of their goals, Imixes prefer an authoritive/parental leadership style, causing clashes with people of a similar disposition. The lively enthusiasm and emotional sensitivity of the Imix types usually results in plenty of friends around them, as does the tendency of Imix types to start businesses, associations, clubs and societies. Although motivated by the emotions, Imixes are often secretive placing great value on their privacy. This need for emotional privacy and conflict with parental attitudes often results in Imixes spending more time with friends than family. However, Imixes are very nuturing and protective, often putting a lot of energy into creating a home.

I don't know if you recognise any of those qualities and motivations in yourself - it would be interesting to find out though! :)

I don't know any websites on Mayan Astrology myself but the Psi-Society.com website will post a day sign calculator and more information after our current investigation has closed.

astroman1

Its very interesting. According to my birthdate, i am number 4 = Kan (Seed)
Its insightfull. There are things it mentions that i fail to notice about myself.
Just to make sure, i checked my best friends number as well. His was Cib. It is sooo acurate about him, its unbelievable. Maybe i notice others better then myself.
Is there a calculator or a software/program that will calculate your sign?

Wilmingtonian

Thank you for setting me straight. It's so hard to guage yourself, but I'll try.

PSI Society said:
Lively / secretive

Imix types are highly energetic and creative. Whatever they get involved with, they get deep into it quite intensely. Their projects in life usually involve creating something new, often starting with nothing and building up from there. Although willing to expend great amounts of energy on these projects, if they have no projects on they feel unmotivated to do anything sometimes to the point of laziness. They understand the world through their feelings and emotional responses rather rely on the logical outcomes and rational arguments.

I alternate between energetic and lazy. My energy is often more internally focused (I can focus on a particular study or meditation for very long, virtually uninterupted periods). What I can't find energy for is cleaning my house. Or maybe I'm mistaking laziness for apathy?... I digress. The intensity is dead accurate, but I go through lethargy phases when I recover. I'm a great starter of projects and a horrible finisher. I am an emotional/intuitive being. I trust my gut rather than my head.

So, the first paragraph is pretty accurate.

PSI Society said:
Assertive (which some may see as aggression) in the pursuit of their goals, Imixes prefer an authoritive/parental leadership style, causing clashes with people of a similar disposition. The lively enthusiasm and emotional sensitivity of the Imix types usually results in plenty of friends around them, as does the tendency of Imix types to start businesses, associations, clubs and societies. Although motivated by the emotions, Imixes are often secretive placing great value on their privacy. This need for emotional privacy and conflict with parental attitudes often results in Imixes spending more time with friends than family. However, Imixes are very nuturing and protective, often putting a lot of energy into creating a home.

Yes, assertive. And I can be aggresive when I feel I need to defend myself--or someone I love. I am a pretty laid back leader, but I have always expected my employees to do what I asked them to do (and on time) simply because that's what I asked. I don't look over their shoulders, but I have high expectations. I don't know how well that fits the description above. I do simply hate to be bossed around and I cannot be manipulated.

I do not have "plenty" of friends. I'm rather content with one or two good friends who understand me (and I sometimes don't have even that). I don't like large groups, and gatherings where I have to be on my best social behavior exhaust me. I do like to help get projects started, but I never stay.

The privacy thing fits me like a glove. (The only thing I dislike about astrology... other people can see into my psyche.) I have gotten a bad reputation amongst my ex-boyfriends for never showing all my cards in a relationship. I like to have my secrets. I never want someone to know just how much I care--I want them to think I care just exactly the amount that would be most advantageous to me. (I feel a bit squeemish about being that transparent as I type anonymously on a forum.) :confused:

Protective is also a big yes. I become a lion in defence of my kids or my sisters.

All in all, I think it fits me very well. There are a few things (namely the many friends, and being a joiner of many clubs) that don't fit me. I'm a loner, but perhaps that's a bit more nurture than nature?

Thank you so much for sharing all of this. Mayan astrology is definitely something I want to learn more about. Please let us know about your research and what you learn.

Arian Maverick

Wilmingtonian

If you were born 17th September 1977 then your day sign is Imix (eemish).

I'm still a bit confused here as to how to calculate the day sign...

I used the calculator astroman1 provided--ironically, it was the same site I had used before to calculate my own day sign--and it only generates a number and a Mayan Sun Sign, which does not seem to be the same as a day sign.

I received Galactic Tone: 6 (Six/Flow) and Mayan Sun Sign Storm (Cuac) for the date Wilmingtonian provided.

EDIT: Never mind, I must have entered his information incorrectly; I just tried again and received Imix. :eek:

The Mayan Calendar Portal link astroman1 provided did calculate Wilmingtonian's Mayan Day Sign as Imix, though--which is the same PSI Society provided.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:
Wilmingtonian said:
T
All in all, I think it fits me very well. There are a few things (namely the many friends, and being a joiner of many clubs) that don't fit me. I'm a loner, but perhaps that's a bit more nurture than nature?
Thanks for your detailed reply Wilmingtonian.

I think a person's environment and circumstances must have a significant influence on their personal choices.

For example, I had a client who used to be an officer in the Army. Nothing I could learn about his Mayan astrology suggested he'd be interested in a career in the military. However, it turned out that both his grandfather and father were military men and coming from a military family, it was always expected that he would join the regiment himself. In fact he personally never doubted it or entertained the idea of doing anything else.

Obviously, once in the Army his choices were limited (as well has having new opportunities). But through discussion, it became clear that his motivations, were consistant with the ones expected having read his Mayan chart.

Some Imixes devote themselves to businesses, others to groups and associations, and still others to family/friends. Personal circumstances and enviroment will have a lot do to with which direction they go. And, if you choose groups and associations, for example, a knock-on effect is that you are surrounded by lots of people, and the number of friends usually rises.

In addition, some personality traits although shared throughout the Imix group are stronger and more influential in some Imix's lives than in others. All Imixes place strong emphasis on their privacy - but some more than others. This will have an effect on actual choices made throughout life. Someone with a strong need for privacy may be put off starting a business or fronting an organistion for example.

Ultimately, I think our enviroment and upbringing bring about a limited set of life choices. And probably contribute to the intensitiy in which we feel motivated to act in certain directions. This being so, I wouldn't be surprised if some aspects of a individual's day sign didn't ring true to them. I do expect, and have found, a strong sense in people that their day sign most accurately describes them - more accurately than any other sign.