Thoughts on Dane Rudhyar?

Oddity

His work is post-modernist? My desire to read from him has gone down considerably. :tongue:

He was a structualist. The deconstructionists came along and tore down the house the structuralists built, thinking themselves o-so-clever for it. Then the deconstructionists turned into post-modernists.

greybeard

Most people, while strolling through the 12th house, would probably not send a postcard saying "Having a wonderful time."

It is after you emerge, with time and hindsight, that you may recognize the good.

david starling

Most people, while strolling through the 12th house, would probably not send a postcard saying "Having a wonderful time."

It is after you emerge, with time and hindsight, that you may recognize the good.

Sounds like you think of H12 as a sort of hallway, or tunnel. Interesting!
Maybe a gateway to an alternative reality.

Last edited:

miquar

Hi. I hadn't much idea of what postmodernism is so I looked into it a bit. I can't see Rudhyar could be described as such. Sure, he was radical and felt that civilisation needs an overhaul, but he didn't claim that individuality is threatened by collectivity per se - but that true individuality and true collectivity unfold in tandem. He warns against ego-led rebellion against social participation.

Oddity, how do you see that?

Best wishes

Miquar

JUPITERASC

Most people, while strolling through the 12th house, would probably not
send a postcard saying "Having a wonderful time."
It is after you emerge, with time and hindsight
that you may recognize the good.
well put :smile:
Sounds like
you think of
H12 as a sort of hallway, or tunnel.
Interesting!
Maybe a gateway to an alternative reality.
interesting interpretation of "strolling through a house" :smile:
one "strolls through" all twelve houses at some stage

JUPITERASC

With regard to the benefic/malefic issue, Rudhyar seems to be saying that
the important thing is to meet each experience in a spirit of openness
- with a willingness to become what you actually are.
To say that a part of you is malefic is at odds with this approach
- an example of why cultural conditioning must be overcome
in order for the potential inherent in the individual to blossom fully.
A test of four modern astrologers
who were asked to delineate the chart of John Wayne Gacy
but not told whose chart it was :smile:
had the following results:

QUOTE:

Four Modern Astrologers said Serial Killer John Wayne Gacy:

(1) "…can be very good with kids..."
(2) "...just your presence would be beneficial to other people..."
(3)"...a fairly well-rounded personality...you can offer a good role model..."
(4)"You have an instinctive awareness
and your uninhibited response to life can refresh and gladden
whomever you encounter."

IN CONTRAST
Traditional Astrology Says:
"...shows a strange mind and very wicked."

Gacy received 12 Death and 21 Life sentences for the murder of 33 boys.

JUPITERASC

That means there are hundreds of people born at the same time as Gacy

who may be wicked, with strange minds!
perhaps "born at same time" but in different locations :smile:
with different ascendants
so
planets located differently in houses
different PoF and so on and so forth
ad infinitum
Q.E.D.

miquar

Someone else used to use that stuff in his signiature. When people use it I think they are grasping at straws. For it to constitute a strong argument you'd have to find all the people with a similar chart and see how they all turned out; and you'd have to look at his sidereal chart to see if that had 'psycho' written across it (and if it did you'd be in a worse place, because what about all tbe 'good' people born around the same time and place - and of course such charts are less distinct using Whole Sign houses).

I don't know why so many siderealists campaign against tropical astrology the way they do. Tropicalists seem to just get on with it (with a few exceptions) and let Sidearalists do the same. As far as I'm concerned there can be more than one way to locate a zodiac along the ecliptic. Perhaps Siderealists have 'Aries node envy' because they don't have something like the vernal point to define 0 degrees Aries.

Best wishes

Miquar

Oddity

It is useful to read a thread before asking questions.

Hi. I hadn't much idea of what postmodernism is so I looked into it a bit. I can't see Rudhyar could be described as such. Sure, he was radical and felt that civilisation needs an overhaul, but he didn't claim that individuality is threatened by collectivity per se - but that true individuality and true collectivity unfold in tandem. He warns against ego-led rebellion against social participation.

Oddity, how do you see that?

Best wishes

Miquar

Oddity

What are you talking about? If you don't feel willing or able to respond to my questions, just say so.

It means someone else already asked me that question and I answered it earlier in the thread - if you could be bothered to read.

Why do you require a personal, separate answer that will be the same thing I already typed?

greybeard

Jung says that as long as something is unconcious it appears to be fate.

The main thrust of the Eastern religions is to bring one into the light of consciousness; when this is accomplished, freedom (from fate) is gained.

Mark Twain said that the best place a man can be is Solitary Confinement (12th house) because then he is free to go anywhere he desires.

Last edited:

david starling

You don't "stroll through" Areas of Life, and then leave them behind. You live in them. Apparently, H12 isn't everyone's favorite Area! :lol: But, we all have to deal with it, and some are apparently better at that than others. :cool:

JUPITERASC

You don't "stroll through" Areas of Life, and then leave them behind.
You live in them.
Apparently, H12 isn't everyone's favorite Area! :lol:
But, we all have to deal with it, and some are apparently better at that
than others. :cool:
So CIRCUMNAMBULATIONS are unknown to you :smile:
Dorotheus used a method
he called "circumambulations through the bounds"
which used oblique ascensions.

Circumambulation through the bounds/confines
according to Ptolemy and Dorotheus
is similar to primary directions
but the ancients used these procedures
as a way of defining the general periods of life.
Circumambulations figure prominantly
in many of the procedures for determining length of life.
http://www.projecthindsight.com/products/delphicoracle.html