Mercury retrograde in sagittarius

Amazon1963

Hello all,

Just found out I could access the forum again after that rather puzzling time with whatever that bug was in the system. Trying to catch up on the new insights and info.

Wanted to start a thread on Mercury retrograde in general but also since Mercury will be retro in Sagittarius for the next few weeks, it certainly is an appropriate time to raise the subject.

Mercury is the dominant planet in my chart to begin with, so retro times are of interest to me. Some retro periods I have come through unscathed and some I havent. Have certainly improved the way I deal with the periods and that has helped.

Interesting article on the coming transit:

http://www.astrologycom.com/mercret.html

I have also found this site to be informative as well:

http://www.cafeastrology.com/transits_mercuryretrograde.html

http://www.isisbooks.com/newsast.asp

Best advice on Merc Rx that I have seen to date is by Steven Forrest, "Mercury retrograde isnt bad, it just takes some planning to cooperate with the energies. It's meant to be spent assimilating experiences, reviewing the past, and redoing, in general. Matter of fact, if you really want to get the most out of a Mercury retrograde, confine your activities as much as possible to those that have "re" attached to the beginning of the word. Reschedule appointments, repair vehicles, return to the past, rewrite documents and agreements, and so forth."

That is pretty much how I spend my Merc Rx periods, cleaning out files, closets, returning to unfinished projects and reviewing them, etc. I also do a thorough check of vehicle maintenance and back up my pc during the shadow periods of Merc Rx. This way of dealing with Merc Rx sure has stabilized life for me. Of course there are many other things to consider that could be going on in one's chart, ie, hosting Pluto in my 1st house, or Mars Rx in Taurus on 5th/6th intercepted houses and so on, however, Merc Rx periods do have major effects in my life.

Anyone care to share how they cope with Merc Rx periods or their perspective on Merc Rx in Sag?

Lapis

Mercury Rx in Sag

Amazon1963,

Hi and glad you're back. It was a frustrating time not being able to access any of the forums here wasn't it? :?

Thanks for the great links also. I have Mercury in Sagittarius retrograde natally so this is a rather familiar time for me. The previous rx period of Mercury however was a doooozy for me at least. I don't think this one will be anywhere near as disorienting and distructive as the last one. Uranus going direct at nearly the same time should make things move easier I'd think.....hope.

Have you noticed yourself or others spending more time mentally re-viewing things that have happened in the past? Many of those unresolved emotions and situations? Things done or not done, said or not said etc. etc. Mercury (especially) retrograde periods I ususally find myself spending more time in mental review over what's happened; the different things I've experienced both with other people and private personal revelations, insights and so on. It seems time to RE-view it all from this different Mercurial perspective. And in this case just fill in with a Sag filter!

Amazon1963

Thank you Lapis! It was very frustrating and a tad disconcerting as well! Glad to be here, thanks!

I do spend some time pondering unresolved issues. Some periods I have a lot of those 'aha' moments and sometimes nothing at all. At this point in my life most things that are unresolved will always remain that way. I know that the only thing I can change or have power over an unresolved issue is to change the way I deal with it. Acceptance, tolerance, avoidance, or forgiveness are the only constructive outlets. Thats as close to emotional control as this Pisces moon can bear.

I think the most fascinating thing I have learned about Merc Rx periods is the revealing of things hidden. Until I started to examine and study astrology on a more serious tone this past year, I knew and intuited deep down that life is cyclical and not just on a physical level. That there are 'cycles' in other forms as well.

I certainly saw multiple cycles of the physical; death, healing, and life being born, working in the nursing field. There certainly had to be cycles spiritually or metaphysically as well. Especially when I saw other 'cycles' occurring.

I notice that past crimes are revealed or criminals located who were hiding during these times. Clues are found or researched that had been previously overlooked in the past. Also, investigations can be horribly botched during those times too. Just seems to me that its almost instinctual when detectives review and reveal during these times.

Each Merc Rx period, I pray for the mother of Natalee Holloway and that her daughter will be found and some justice brought against those responsible for her death/disappearance. That same prayer goes for all those who seek lost loved ones or justice.

Whenever Merc is Rx, I also keep my eyes on the weather, having read somewhere that it bears some influence. Learned that lesson well last year on Aug 13, 2004, the night that hurricane Charley ravaged us unmercilessly with 120+ mph winds and tornadoes, Merc, Uranus, and Pluto were all retrograde. I knew next to nothing about the other two planets, but was aware that Merc Rx periods were unpredictable in terms of the weather and storms. As I write this, the news reports tornadoes touching down all over the midwest...8 different US states are under tornado watches...God bless and keep you all safe tonight and everyday.

On the other hand....both periods of time that hurricanes Andrew in 1992 and Katrina of this year...Uranus and Neptune were retrograde. Mercury was not. So, I am still undecided as to 'how' Mercury plays into the scheme of unpredictable weather. There may well be an absolute correllation with Uranus and Neptune. The complexity of astrology would also bear that the answer would be complex as well. (I hope our far more learned astrologers will give us some input on this subject)

Perhaps its more important that we as a race be more of a part of the relief work that needs to be done after the fact, rather than focussing on just the energies related to the events, ie, the devastating earthquake in Pakistan or the aftermath of storms like Katrina or the horrific tsunami of last December.

Ok, back to Merc Rx periods...My Sun, Merc, and Venus are all in Gemini. Pluto, Mars, and Uranus are all in Virgo. Lots o' Mercury influence in that chart. Soooooo, I guess Im just spastically analytical... :lol: (prove it, prove it, and prove it some more and while we are at it, lets have some fun with it... :D )

As a prolific journaler, I like to review entries and see the personal growth or growth of ideas from one period to another.

Some of the things I dontdo during a Merc Rx period is start any new task or project. I plant seeds for the future, pass business cards, review or follow up with prior clients, take care of those pesky undone chores, clean out files on pc, and so on. I am by nature, goal driven, but, I do know that jobs I began under a Merc Rx period, even during a shadow period before or after, have always ended either being renegotiated (usually not to my benefit) or dropped altogether. I try not to plan any extended air flights. Oh my, long ago before I was aware of Merc Rx periods, I ended up on a cross country plane trip to Hades. I swear I thought I saw Keebler elves starting the propellor on that old plane they scabbed for us during a blinding snow storm...ah well, lived to tell the story!

I also never ever start any new medical procedures, if its old business, then finishing seems to work ok for me. If the appointment is for diagnostics or researching, by all means I run with it and prefer to wait until after the Rx period to make major decisions.

Of course life goes on regardless of any planetary influences. Thats just life. However, forewarned is forearmed, and if I must go on with any plans, then I am extra alert, check and doublecheck everything.

I share whatever information I can pass on in an intelligent manner to those who will listen to me. My mother,daughter and friends all ask me when things (machines, phones, communications, travel, etc) go haywire, "Is Merc Rx again?"...LOL!

I wonder though if this particular Merc Rx period for you, Lapis, will have major significance. I read somewhere that people who are born under a Merc Rx fare very well during retro periods than most. I think it might actually, be very significant for you. You may well see things revealed. Certainly would seem you might be more perceptive during this time with the heightened influences of Mercury in Sag. Of course as Merc retro's into Scorpio again, betcha even more might be revealed. It will be interesting if you chose to share that with us. Regardless, I hope Merc Rx is kind to you!

Amazon1963

Lapis

Mercury in Sag retrograde

Amazon1963,

What a great post and thanks also for the belly laughs! You made me lol a couple of times- "Soooooo, I guess I'm just spastically analytical...." and here ".....I ended up on a cross country plane trip to Hades. I swear I thought I saw Keebler elves starting the propellor on that old plane they scabbed for us during a blinding snow strom....." :lol: :lol: :lol: That was so funny but obviously wasn't in the least at the time!

You said something else that was like a blazing symbol, screaming synchronicity for me now. I've learned to catch many of these messages from 'Spirit' or 'Higher Self' lets call it, that seem to be trying desperatly to get you to make conscious connections between multiple different things. You said...."I know that the only thing I can change or have power over an unresolved issue is to change the way I deal with it." That's been the flavor of the month for me for awhile now. Being brave enough to reinterpret what I believed happened to me and change, expand, my attitude about all of it. Thanks for that one also.

Like you said with this retrograde of Mercury in Sag it's probably a tad bit more meaningful for me now. Let me add that natally Merc is just inside my 10th, 2 degrees off the MC, so I do feel this is a 'biggie' as they say. Heck, they're all 'biggies' any more it seems!!! And yes I have been having rather impressive mini revelations into the WHY of some things over the past few weeks which brings me to another strange question for any and all.

Have you been experiencing or picking up or get activated by certain transits about 3-4 weeks or so before they're physically close enough to activate? Like an expanded orb of influence effecting you and some others but far sooner that it seems like it should be? By the time the actual transit PHYSICALLY arrives the main punch just isn't there because you've already lived it? I fear I've enter the Lapis Zone yet again with this one but its been happening like this for a long time. Not with all of the planet transits, just some so far. Anyone???

Reality. How we preceive what we preceive and then call that 'Reality'. That's the main thing I've been learning with this Merc/Sag/reto business. It all SO depends upon our at-the-moment vibratory rate/consciousness/emotional tone, as to how we interpret whatever crosses our path/vision/energy field/heart/awareness etc. I hope I'm expressing this adequately because its rather spectacular inside my head!!! :wink: Spoken like a true rx Merc huh? I'm in the process of reinterpreting my 'reality' based on a slightly expanded heart and viewpoint. IOWs, taking in, preceiving more 'reality' than prior. But isn't that normal? Isn't that what the transits are for naturally? Nothing special, just normal growth? I think so.

Amazon1963

This one is just for you Lapis and hopefully (fingers crossed, Merc is Rx afterall :wink: ) imparts some wisdom and encouragement for you.

Oh ya, thats me alright, the Sag rising jokester to be sure! Especially if I am laughing at myself or the strange events I seem to find myself in the middle of, (that seems to be the norm in my life, its all just one big adventure after another!). As for being the 'spastically analytical', that describes me if I am having fun for sure! Believe me when I say or write these things, they are intended to be humorous, pleases me when I know I have shared my 'smile' with another. However, there is also a far more directed and intense side to my way of analysing subjects. Its not my intent to make my response to you, Lapis, as a rhetoric on my own silliness, instead I sense a deepening of character growing within yourself.

Firstly, lets review what Mercury represents as a whole and then as it pertains to your natal chart. Permit me to think 'aloud' if you will. Then, perhaps I can give you a little more insight into what I perceive you are trying to communicate.

I am paraphrasing the interpretation of Mercury as it relates to astrology. Mercury represents non-emotional, rational, objective thought. Mercury is flexible, responsive, and adaptable. Part of its job is to help you disburse information, so it rules perception, language, writing, editing, research, speaking and learning. Mercury also rules telecommunications, computing, software, electronic gadgets, shipping, couriers, and transportation, etc. So, its pretty important planet to just everyday living.

So, when Merc goes Rx, it scrambles information, causing static, confusion and forgetfulness. The effects are universal and all peoples feel its effect, regardless of their own signs. The signs Gemini and Virgo feel it slightly more because Mercury is their ruling planet. If indeed Merc is Rx in your own sign or a significant ie, Merc in Sag, it would stand to reason you may experience the effects, positive or negative more so.

The tenth house of the natal chart covers fame, promotions, honors, career awards, and professional opportunities, as well as your standing in the community. Then of course there is the close placement of Merc near your midheaven. Impressive stuff. Yes, well now what do you do with that energy?

Lapis, you had mentioned your natal Merc Rx is in the sign of Sagittarius and located next to your midheaven and housed in the 10th house. I think thats a pretty important placement of Mercury for you. It is said that people born under the Merc Rx phase are said to have philosophical and reflective natures that help them think through complex concepts quite creatively. I reviewed the interpretation of Merc in Sag natally and that description also describes one who is philosophical and more concerned with the big picture than with the gritty details. Something along those lines....It also seems to 'fit' your communication style as well based upon your postings in this forum.

I sense you are having a 'tug of war' within yourself, whether its based upon spiritual principles, an emotional event, or accepting the changes within yourself, I am unable to discern which it is, but I sense an inner struggle.

I have never been a 'spiritual' being in the sense of anything other than the most pragmatic and practical of applications. Existentialism as a philosophical movement in the purest sense that all humans are totally free and responsible for their acts. In other words, I am in touch with my own spirituality but in terms of assisting someone else to perceive it, I'm better at stating what I sense a problem is or where it begins within the person and the possible interpretation of how it can be resolved or applied to real life situations. So, my response is based upon these two paragraphs you wrote in your prior post...

You said something else that was like a blazing symbol, screaming synchronicity for me now. I've learned to catch many of these messages from 'Spirit' or 'Higher Self' lets call it, that seem to be trying desperatly to get you to make conscious connections between multiple different things. You said...."I know that the only thing I can change or have power over an unresolved issue is to change the way I deal with it." That's been the flavor of the month for me for awhile now. Being brave enough to reinterpret what I believed happened to me and change, expand, my attitude about all of it. Thanks for that one also.

Have you been experiencing or picking up or get activated by certain transits about 3-4 weeks or so before they're physically close enough to activate? Like an expanded orb of influence effecting you and some others but far sooner that it seems like it should be? By the time the actual transit PHYSICALLY arrives the main punch just isn't there because you've already lived it? I fear I've enter the Lapis Zone yet again with this one but its been happening like this for a long time. Not with all of the planet transits, just some so far.

Expansion of thoughts, ideas, knowledge, sense of self, all these things are a combination of inner growth (spirituality, if you prefer) and external experiences. As an individual, you are the sum of your parts, experiences, thoughts, environment, etc. Sometimes our inner growth expands beyond what our physical world or even what we perceive as our 'ethereal' world. One cannot be wise with another man's wisdom, wisdom must come from experience, nor can a man be rich with another man's riches, they must be earned.

I'm sure this next statement will raise a few hairs as well, but its a philosophy that has served me well. More important than what has happened to you is what you decide to do about it. That does not mean that what happens is unimportant but the solution or resolution to the event serves a deeper purpose. Nor, is it to infer that every person on this planet has any control over any external event or reaction from others.

Lapis, be the sum of who you are. Each of us is in the here and now to perform some function. As to whether that function is a healthy mix of both serving self or society in general is decided by the person. If there is unresolved issues within yourself or you are having conflict resolution as the culprit of your search for answers, then I would encourage you to write.

Write for yourself, write for your dreams, write for your own insight, but write now. Then put the writing aside for a time, say 3-6 months if that idea appeals to you. Wait til the next Merc Rx phase so you can re-view, re-evaluate, re-spond, re-act to your inner self. You hold the decision process that best serves you, these are merely suggestions.

I sense a deep whirlwind and cacaphony of ideas and thoughts screaming for a release. Give your thoughts a creative outlet and a place where you can better organize them. Your way of communicating these ideas will soon come together in such a format that they make sense to the masses in general. You may well be on to something but if you cannot effectively communicate it with enthusiasm, order, and confidence, you will doom your inner self to the 'Lapis zone' as you put it. Self deprecation is a form of self editing, thus you stifle your message, your spirituality, your self. Please dont stifle your Mercury, he's got a message for you and others, let him out. Help Mercury to disburse your wisdom.

As for sensing occurances of a pre-planetary trend...Well, I noticed lots of 'cycles' as I define them. Now astrology is providing some explanation of the events. Honestly, as a novice in astrology, I am still discerning what these events mean to me on a personal level but I do agree with you as far as 'sensing' events or people acting as though the planetary event is ongoing. I notice more now than ever.

Before astrology, I knew, just knew that there was something going on to make so very many people crabby all at once, or a disturbing trend in the number of domestic violence victims in the emergency room. Ya, well maybe Mars Rx is one culprit in the mix.

Now my task is to define whether its my own radar or that my subconcious is acting on the prior knowledge from astrology. Maybe its simply that I have grown enough as a person to understand, adapt, and learn the lessons of the energies emanating from the transit? Thus, when the actual planetary influence is upon us its not quite so hard to accept or cope with? Therein lies the question.... Now the challenge is to be still enough within one's self to 'hear' and 'interpret' the message it brings.

Take advantage of this Merc Rx in Sagittarius, it may well be the cataclyst for an epiphany for you, Lapis.

I also pondered the question of where and what task transiting Pluto or Jupiter is performing in your chart as well. Jupiter reflects growth, expansion, but, it also allows us to find a higher meaning or purpose in the house its visiting. Pluto rules transformation and is a catalyst for change. Just as you are sum of the parts so is your natal chart and transits affecting it. Just a few thoughts from a novice, Lapis, I hope they serve you well.

Amazon1963

Lapis

Amazon1963,

WOW, thank you for all of your insights and energy. YOU should be writing it sounds like too!

"Lapis, be the sum of who you are."

That is the core issue right there! It probably is for each and everyone of us though. I have 0 degrees Pisces 49' ASC and the North Node is 2 Pisces so your suggestion is absolutely correct! Well sensed Amazon. And with South Node in Virgo in 7 I'm trying to not play for too long in all those "gritty details" you mentioned! Its SO easy for me to hang out there and forget about that N.N. in Pisces conjunct the ASC :| I mean try staying focused on Pisces and Neptune and then clearly communicate about it! I'm learning how to shift these gears (Pisces/Virgo) better too though.

Lots of emotional events and, releasing recent intense trauma's (which could be a book all in itself its been that strange). That's what's going on for me now mainly. Sun and Chiron conjunct natally so this is a unending life lesson for me it seems......sigh.

I totally get what you said about stifling Mercury and again, I'm trying not to after a lifetime of pretty much having to. What I have to say and share is or at least has been rather over-the-top accoring to most, but even that's changing rapidly to my great relief and joy! I do more hinting than out and out blatant total reveals about certain metaphysical and spiritual things I've experienced and learned numerous times.

You also mentioned about transiting Pluto and Jupiter? I'm in the middle of so much Pluto its......incredible to me. Right NOW transiting Neptune (my ruler) is in 12 opposing natal Pluto in 6. Eight years ago I became a 'chemical sensitive'. Just walking into some stores makes me instantly sick for days. Most foods makes me sick too. Transmute, transmute, transmute.

Transiting Saturn (my other ruler) in Leo is inching its way toward that natal Pluto in Leo in 6 so that will add to the transformational fun no doubt.

Transiting Pluto at 23 Sag today is in my 10th rapidly approaching my Sun at 1 Cap and then Chiron at 4 Cap. It recently conjuncted my natal Mercury at 17 Sag in 10 and is sitting next to my Part of Fortune at 25 Sag......whatever that might indicate!?

Transiting Jupiter is and has been in my 8th and just transited across my Libra stellium but has finally moved off the last planet in that stellium, the Moon. It will be free floating in the last half of my 8th for awhile now that's its in Scorpio.

It's been busy and its going to continue being busy for all of us I think with these amazing transits. Please don't feel obligated to reply to all my spewing here unless you're moved to. Thanks for helping me already and as far as that possible epiphany goes, I do have one from Dec. 3, 2004 that I'm sensing I should share with everyone here now. Maybe this retograde Mercury transit in Sag/Scorpio will bring another one and if so, this will be where I'll come to share it first.

baker

as far as merc rx periods go, this ain't so bad .... I'm so used to the inner planet transits making all the marks, but with this outer/inner planet stuff going on, there's SO MUCH movement, the merc rx this time seems to bring us goodies .... 8) from Robert Wilkinson:

This Mercury retrograde period starts November 13 (Nov 14 for EST and points east) and ends December 3 (Dec 4 in Europe and points east). This retrograde moves from 11 Sagittarius back to 25 Scorpio, with the inferior conjunction between Mercury and the Sun occurring November 24 (Nov 25 in east Asia and east) at 3 Sagittarius. The degree is "Two men playing chess," symbolizing a "recreation of a world of manifestation through symbols and intelligence," "the transcendent ritualization of conflict," and the need to focus on what's important and the ability to plan many moves ahead.

The inferior conjunction is when Mercury (mind) conjuncts the Sun (life) while retrograde, indicating that signals, messages, and ideas from either outer sources or subconscious sources will fuse with the life principle, setting the tone for the lessons involving how our minds are relating to our lives during the next four months.

We are also told that it symbolizes "the self confidence and authority which come...through the refinement of skills and discipline of understanding, and... mobilizing every potentiality of self at any point of challenge...." Dr. Jones' offers that "His gift of concentration is his genius of self-fulfillment," with the keyword ABILITY. He writes that "... the degree is high sensitiveness to every possibility of accomplishment or broadened self-discovery."

This retrograde beginning at 11 Sagittarius retraces ground we covered October 25-November 13, and is a degree of "The lamp of physical enlightenment at the left temple," showing us the influence of society upon individuals, the power of "primordial images of Unconsciousness," and "Activity dominated by fate." It will challenge us to recognize the wisdom of our body instincts, and decondition our mental reliance on quantitative values and linear thinking. Experiment in forms of self-expression, see the world as a "laboratory of the Soul," and reconcile past achievement with present necessities.

The entire retrograde Mercury is favorable to Saturn, Neptune, and Venus. This will stabilize our thinking and way of viewing our responsibilities and limitations, as well as give some unique intuitive flashes and productive magnetism in relationships. We will find a more easy self-expression, and find ways to organize our thinking, creativity, and self-expression along lines that open doors to a new autonomy. This will harmonize wherever we have Taurus, Gemini, Virgo, Libra, and our higher spiritual Sagittarius and Pisces qualities. We can find an instinctive wisdom in the Mercury-ruled areas, while productively reorganizing our social expression. Our creativity should become more sound, structured, and recent new beginnings will naturally stabilize in a new life order.

All in all, there are very few afflictions to Mercury during this retrograde period, indicating more of a favorable time than the usual frustrations and scattered energy of most Mercury retrograde periods. Most of the problems are due to the on-going T-squares, none of which involve Mercury. Mostly we just have to get free of unnecessary hassles, get oriented, and remember that things often don't turn out as we might suspect, so chill, defer, and prepare to begin new movement in early December when both Mercury and Mars go stationary direct.

The only real affliction is from Mercury squaring Uranus, showing us a challenge to bring our genius down to practical usefulness, move from wishing and hoping to actual accomplishment, and not get too theoretical. We can use this to best effect by keynoting what's important, communicating it to others, and being a spokesperson for something we feel is important. The challenge is to assert ourselves appropriately, find ways to use the down times productively, be stirred to a greater love, and have faith that if we do what is natural, we will find what we're looking for.

During the 11 days before the inferior conjunction (fusion) of mind and life, take a new look at how you can bring out your inner wisdom by adjusting to a future vision or broader perspective that's opening for you, and get a new point of view regarding what your imagination is willing to consider and how to coordinate your life to reorganize it productively. It's great for intuitive flashes, insights into the larger collective consciousness and unconsciousness, and you should find a new ease and sophistication among those you're with. As with the Mercury retrograde in August, be a peacemaker while Mars square Saturn from Taurus to Leo. You may find some interesting parallels from that period, or the return of some old business that can help you understand how to manage these volatile energies.

Just before Mercury goes retrograde it is part of a Grand Fire Trine with the Moon and Saturn, which should harmonize many parts of our life, helping us move into the retrograde period with less stress and tension than usual. Remembering that nothing turns out as expected during a Mercury retrograde, and that things take strange twists and turns and there are curious returns of people, ideas, and experiences in new forms that resemble old forms, open to useful but overlooked angles of viewing things, learn and teach through a sense of perspective of how past and present relate in unusual ways, and be alert to roundabout or indirect communications that show things going on below the surface.

As I said before, most of the tensions have nothing to do with Mercury, but do involve the on-going Fixed squares and crosses. These storm zones occur around November 14-15, followed by the Moon-Mercury-Uranus T-square November 16. The next Fixed T-square is November 21-22, followed by the Mutable T-square involving Mercury November 23. The volatility closes the end of the month with the Sun square Uranus and the Grand Fixed Cross on November 28-29, so get ready to ride the storm out, and if it's not a return of something you should have taken care of before then, remember that whatever happens, it probably won't turn out the way it seems at the time.

The New Moon of December 1 at 10 Sagittarius vitalizes the Mercury stationary retrograde degree, and shows Mercury repidly speeding up preparing to go stationary direct December 3-4. Favorable to almost every planet, it'll be a great time for cultivating a deeper "x-ray vision," allowing us to analyze what is sound or unsound in situations, and offers us a structural knowledge that can assist us to get clear about what works and what doesn't. The forced growth promised by that New Moon in Sagittarius will take clearer shape around the Winter Solstice on December 21, and in December if you're ambitious, you "win the prize."

Mercury going stationary direct at 25 Scorpio on December 3-4 shows that through early February 2006 we will come to understand how to spot strengths and weaknesses in situations we face through a "sharp and applied discrimination" by understanding basic structure and causes. We will see we need to keep ourselves fit for performing our part in some common function we share with others. The keyword is "Investigation," and we are told that when functioning at its best, this is "an exceptional power of analysis."

Mercury retrograde periods reveal their own unique rhythm in offering us a new look at things. Every period in some way echoes the messages of prior retrograde periods, and affects those to come. That's why it's important to observe what has been revealed during other periods in the recent months and years past, so that you can see how Mercury, or Hermes, the "Guide of Souls," is leading you to your authentic self. Regardless of appearances, or how difficult or easy, Mercury retrograde periods show us the path to our Soul.

Amazon1963

Lapis,

You are welcome! From reading your post, I knew you had the answers within yourself. Most of us already do. Sometimes it just takes a bit of encouragement and insight from someone else to help one think. This is part of what makes a forum a great place to have your thoughts or ideas reflected back to you. I am just pleased this little bit of writing helps you. That is my 'function' at this moment in time is to 'help' others. I felt 'moved' to reply and if I 'helped' you in some small way, thats a big deal to me. This forum is important to me in my search for answers to astrology. I simply do not have the time to devote to a professional study of the subject at this time. One day I will do just that and maybe at that time I would be able to help people more. In the meantime I will just use my intuition and spotty knowledge of astrology to help if I can.

Baker,

Awesome article on Merc Rx, thanks for sharing this one! Wilkinson puts it out there in easy to follow terms doesnt he? I dont like the looks of these T-squares though. Perhaps a new topic thread on the upcoming T-squares would merit some more insight? Hint, hint?

Well Ms Baker? How do you cope with Merc Rx periods?

Amazon1963

baker

Hey Amazon, I like him too, he's clear and detailed but layperson-friendly at the same time. I like to give his articles to friends who don't "get it" until they read him. Also good for dates to watch for.

Hum, this merc rx, like most transits for me, takes a little bit to hit ... oh having the normal traffic problems, forgetting my cell phone stuff and junk like that, but, the real impacts always catch up after most people for some reason. And I could be in for a double whammy cause the rx begins its transit in my 11th at 9 Sag, rx's back to 10 at 24 Scorp by 12/5, then back direct to 0 Sag on 12/13, and back into 11th about 12/20 .... I'll probably meet myself in the hallway some night, coming and/or going it feels like.

so, it involves crossing two houses and two signs. I've got a funny feeling it's gonna be an extremely interesting December then so I will keep ya'll posted for sure. It isn't like I don't have a million and one things that this will affect greatly I am sure, plus new parttime job at the local vfw as bartender on top of my daytime downtown job. Makes for a very interesting study of people though, that's for certain. It's funny to be behind the bar and let the archetypes run wild :lol: while I watch. ANYWAY, I ramble ....

point was have been trying all year to get a job where I don't have to work 2 jobs, and maybe, just maybe, after merc goes back into my 10th and forward into my 11th again, due to my contacts (11th - friends, the circle around you, contacts, etc.) okay take the contacts from the 11th back to the 10th (job/career/status) and back into the 11th brings me that new job I want? We'll see. :roll:

xo

baker

oh and hits 18 Scorp natal Venus during retro and passes over it again direct, still trying to figure that out, must mean going over an issue of love, news about something related maybe, then resolved on the direct movement? One can only hope :shock:

baker

By Wilkinson, through the houses!

Mercury retrograde in the First house: You’ll take a new look at your self-image, and recent information about yourself, or who you think you are may need to be reconsidered. Old character traits and ideas may resurface in new forms. Re-think a new beginning you may have been offered recently, and/or finish up some old business so you can get on with a new way of perceiving, coordinating, or expressing something. You may find you know something about yourself that you want to communicate, but not know how. You can get flashes of insight into your subconsciousness. Great time for reworking your self-expression and the personality you are expressing.

Mercury retrograde in the Second house: You’ll take a new look at your values, what you have, or how you are using it. You may get an insight into your subconsciousness as to why you want what you want, why you hold on to things that you do, or why your self-image is supported by something. Money or goods thought lost may return, or your money supply may slow down because of peculiar circumstances. Great time for finding new and innovating ideas about how to make money or hold on to it. Also a great time to capture things in roundabout or indirect ways, and get insights into your partner's desires or ways they relate to joint resources.

Mercury retrograde in the Third house: You will think many thoughts, over and over, trying to figure out how to put them all together. Try to see how they are all connected. You may know what you want to say, but not how to say it. You can notice things in your environment you never saw before, or meet someone in a roundabout way that is like a brother or sister to you. You can get insights into thoughts you’ve had before, but in new applications or unusual ways to use them. Great time for learning non-verbal or indirect means of communicating, or renewing an old knowledge into a new skill or application. Great for seeing subconscious factors driving your partner's truth, philosophy, or morality.

Mercury retrograde in the Fourth house: There will be returns from your past, or you could get new information or a new perspective or way of viewing your home, family affairs, or an important impression from the past. You may get a new insight into some old need or something from your childhood that altered your perception. A parent could communicate in an unusual way, or someone could remind you of one of your parents. An old family issue could surface anew. Something you’ve been putting off around the house may become important during Mercury retrograde in this house. Great time for rearranging furniture, reconnecting with family, and doing research into your genealogy.

Mercury retrograde in the Fifth house: This can give insights into children, your creative expression, or a look back on some way that used to connect you to life's joy, and was an expression of your enthusiasm and playfulness. You may see a different way to express something, be your natural self, or play. Find indirect ways to express your creative self, and value unique insights into your many forms of self-expression. Great time for exploring the youthful, natural, spontaneous parts of yourself. You may understand why a child is having trouble expressing themself, or coordinating their affairs. Non-verbal communications will work better than instruction. New insights into your partner's friends, goals, or ambitions.

Mercury retrograde in the Sixth house: This could bring a new insight into an old health concern, or bring confused or muddled information about a health complaint that isn’t really what it’s supposed to be. This is the time to do research into health matters, or return to an old understanding, or give an old way of working a new look so that other practical facets can be shown. Find a new approach to all health matters, work matters, or ways of relating to plants and animals. Great time for finding a new way to do a job, getting information about alternative health options, or finding new information important to your health not understood before. Insights into partner's motives, sorrow, and subconsciousness.

Mercury retrograde in the Seventh house: This is the time to explore new ways of communicating things to others without attachment to exact forms of what is being said. Great for getting new insights into old opportunities and finding new interpretations. Find a way to communicate insights you have about yourself within your relationships, without making too much or too little of those in your past. You may get interesting insights into what makes a present or past partner tick, or see a different facet to your partner, thus creating a new understanding. Great time for revealing deep parts of yourself or your partnering dynamic to others. Could also bring up old issues in new forms.

Mercury retrograde in the Eighth house: You need to review a past loss or death and take a different perspective on your experience of what was taken from you. Reclaim an old power in a new form, or reclaim some idea, feeling, or thing of value you once surrendered to someone in a defeat. Find a new way to see what you desire, or experiment with new approaches to getting it. You can get a flash on something of social value and a way to draw some opportunity to yourself. Great time for dropping something long overdue and shaking off the Soul sludge that is hindering you from flowering in some public way. Great time for new insights into your partner's money issues, or why they value what they do subconsciously.

Mercury retrograde in the Ninth house: You will take a new look at your future, path of Truth, life journey, or your quest. An old Truth may return in a new form, or you'll get a different take on some moral or ethical dilemma. You may see how another Truth or philosophy is related to your own, or get a new interpretation of the meaning of a higher truth. It's a time to notice the little things that will affect your future to come, and experiment with different applications of your Truths in a wide variety of situations. A great time to review something you learned in the past, or for going back to school. If you and your partner are having trouble communicating, look at possibilities without having to be too specific.

Mercury retrograde in the Tenth house: This can bring reversals in public position, or long overdue acknowledgment or recognition. You may need to do some things neglected up to now before you can move forward. This position may indicate miscommunications in the professional sector, or delays and misunderstandings in the workplace. Take extra care about any important decisions to be made, as they will probably be subject to change, and try to sign no important contracts during this period. A great time to take care of old business or use temporary experimental approaches to be finally evaluated later. Also a great time to see how your parents affected your self-image and what type of public standing you project.

Mercury retrograde in the Eleventh house: A time to get new insights into your friends, goals, and ambitions. You may reconnect with an old friend, or get a new insights into why you once wanted something and how this is related to some subconscious assumption. A good time for getting insights into why you have joined the groups you have been involved in, and what they taught you about your larger vision of world service. It’s a great time for forming some interesting public relationships, and harvesting something from the past in a new form. Find ways to recombine several old ambitions in a new package. New insights into why your partner plays the way they do, or if creative, you'll see their subconsciousness.

Mercury retrograde in the Twelfth house: This is a period for you to achieve closure on whatever ghosts and sorrows are still bugging you. Review and change your thinking, perception, affirmations, interpretations, meditations, or prayers to come to a more compassionate view of what is leaving and why things have happened the way they did. Unclear speech or recollection could cause trouble in unsuspected ways, so best to say little and forgive much. Get a new insight into an old sorrow or self-undoing behavior. A great time for taking one last look back before closing a chapter of the life that is already over. You'll get glimpses of the "movie of your life," and may need to re-edit your view of what happened and why.

Amazon1963

Mercury retrograde in the Twelfth house: This is a period for you to achieve closure on whatever ghosts and sorrows are still bugging you. Review and change your thinking, perception, affirmations, interpretations, meditations, or prayers to come to a more compassionate view of what is leaving and why things have happened the way they did. Unclear speech or recollection could cause trouble in unsuspected ways, so best to say little and forgive much. Get a new insight into an old sorrow or self-undoing behavior. A great time for taking one last look back before closing a chapter of the life that is already over. You'll get glimpses of the "movie of your life," and may need to re-edit your view of what happened and why.

Right on and then some! Care to know what popped into my head after I read that paragraph? The first part of the Serenity prayer...'God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.' Many chapters are closing over here and instinct is telling me to review my understanding and reactions so I can better deal with what is ahead of me.

You so rock, Baker, thank you, thank you! I am so very thankful I stumbled across this forum and have been exposed to a great many insights from a great group here! Whether that insight has been from sharing links or interpretations, it is a wonderful way to learn!

Amazon

baker

((((((Amazon))))))) = we will never stop learning here, I get so much out of this forum, I love you guys, it's so nice to have forumeers to share with, people on the same level understanding, it means so much to me. This transit must be tough for you then if it's your 12th. Will send good vibes out your way! Everybody have a wonderful holiday! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

baker

MERCURY GOES DIRECT: ( I know I'm ready for it!)

HOW DOES THIS MERCURY GOING DIRECT AFFECT ME?

WHO IS AFFECTED DIRECTLY ON December 3, 2005?

Mercury goes direct on December 3, 2005 at 24 degrees of Scorpio 45 (opposite sign is 25 Taurus 45) at 6:24 p.m., PDT. This means people with birthdays November 13 through 17th, with November 15th as the most affected day, are involved in this planetary movement. This includes not only Scorpio folks. By opposite sign, Taurus those most affected are born between May 12 through the 16th are involved with May 14th, being the most affected.

WHO ELSE CAN BE INVOLVED IN THIS DIRECT MOTION?

Anyone with planets between 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 degrees of any sign, are affected by this. Or if you have your ascendant or midheaven is at one of these degrees, you will be affected. The most affected degree is 24, and that is the degree that Mercury goes direct on.

WHAT MERCURY DIRECT MEANS TO US

Here's a list of some of the things you can expect from a Mercury going DIRECT. Keep in mind that they won't all happen to you! Just one or two, usually. However, if you have a natal Mercury in conjunction with the transiting (daily motion of a planet) Mercury, then your life is going to be strongly affected by that retrograde!!

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT?

First of all, any LIES, DECEPTION, FRAUD and trying to hide pertinent and lifesaving information to the public, is going to be EXPOSED. Particularly watch the 'shadow' week before Mercury goes direct. This would be November 26 through December 2, 2005. Lots of information will bubble up to the surface. Watch the government with the Plame case where Libby was shown to be involved. It could be the news reporter in prison will talk at this time and reveal who leaked an undercover CIA's agent good name, which is a federal offense. And perhaps the right person will be charged with this heinous, unpatriotic, traitors act.

Any type of transportation, which falls under Mercury, can be a target during the time it was retrograde; subways, busses, planes, trucks, and trains. We all need stay watchful during this time; especially the last five days before it goes direct. We are in the 'shadow' time (November 26 through December 2nd) right now, and that makes it more intense than usual.

FULL MOON ON NOVEMBER 15th AT 23 TAURUS WILL BE REACTIVATED NOW

There was a nasty, upsetting full moon on November 15, 2005 at 23 Taurus, so this position,energy-wise, will be 'hit' again by Mercury going direct on it. Any one with planets around the 23rd degree of Taurus (plus or minus 2 degrees either side of it) will find something that happened to them back it that time frame being struck and stirred up again. What that is depends upon where the full moon occurred in your natal chart, and which house it resided in. You will definitely see action, there is no question. It may stir up a lot of old emotions. Just be careful you aren't run over by them. In other words: don't do something out of emotional reaction. Take 10 deep breaths, slow down and let the emotions bubble up and leave before doing anything. Full moon energy is about our emotions being at high tide. While feelings are fine; they can get in the way of clarity that will be badly needed around this period to thread the eye of some needle you must go through.

MARS WENT RETROGRADE AT 23 TAURUS, TOO

Remember? Mars went retrograde at 23 Taurus on October 1, 2005? Look at this pattern with the 23, 24th degree and you will see that these people are going to have a lot of things to deal with, handle and make decisions upon here very shortly. This energy has a lot to do with action/inaction (Mars) and communication (letters/emails/verbal/written) with Mercury. This will be a busy week during the Shadow period for those affected. Hidden things may come to light, so don't knee-jerk and do your homework first. Think first, THEN act. Don't get caught up in your emotions or anger or proactive stance with a Mars still retrograde. Do things in a consistent, step-by-step style and keep your emotions out of it. Keep your eye on the ball and stay focused. Don't be pulled off course by others who are assaulting/attacking or pushing you to do something a certain way--it could end up being a debacle and you holding the bag. The best way to use this stirred up, muddied energy is to just be still, be calm, think, rationalize, be analytical and ask questions of those who you trust before making ANY decisions.

WHAT OTHER THINGS CAN MERCURY DIRECT DO?

1. Expect to be decisive on your part--or on the part of others. People have been muddling around, hesitate, or won't be sure of themselves under a retrograde. Making a decision during a Mercury. direct transit--whatever they decided to do will remain as such. It will not change. Men and women will no longer be miscommunication. One is speaking Chinese and the other, French!! Well, now they at least will be speaking the SAME language. Partners have had to really work at saying what they really mean because assumptions will no longer abound during this time and what you say is how how you meant it. Big-time communications snafus will no longer complicate your life on a personal and professional level. No more foot-in-mouth disease as Mercury turns direct!!!

2. Signing a contract, agree to something, buy a car/boat/house/animal or start up a new project under a Mercury Direct is fine. I would advise you to wait at least a WEEK until after Mercury is direct to do this. The contract will be honored. The car you bought will turn out to be fine (no lemon)!! The boat will not have problems, structural or otherwise. The house you bought will not be a "money pit" and the owner did not reveal all the problems the house had--but you inherited them!! The animal you bought (dog/cat/horse or whatever) will not have some real 'hidden' problems that you could not see upon first perusal or inspection.

Projects begun after Mercury turns direct will turn out as expected. No hidden surprises or changes.

3. You can buy mechanical things, appliances, computers, software or anything else like that during this period--they will work right!

I might add that this a time when mechanical failures finally stop happening. DISK CRASHES which were common place will stop. Thank goodness!

4. It's okay to travel long-distance during a Mercury direct because Mercury is the ruler of travel by any conveyance. There will not be delays, equipment (like a plane or car) will break down during this period. Travel won't try your patience during this period. Equipment failure is finally ebbing away. ANY type of equipment--not just computers.

5. Mercury rules our thinking processes. Believe me, folks, we are finally going to be able to think clearly or coherently. We become less forgetful. You won't get lost in traffic or lost in a shopping center, and you'll remember where you put something. Things that got LOST and MISPLACED big time, will suddenly and inexplicably--show up! Our orderly thinking returns. Our minds quiet down. Insomnia is no longer rampant.

6. Delays--on everything, are finally over! You're not late for an appointment. And no one is going to lose your appointment! The company promised it would be there on a certain day--and it will be there--on that day! Under a Mercury. D, it will be there, when promised. People will show up at the right time. The punctual schedule is back in vogue. You'll be on time--there won't be unexpected delay on the freeway/turnpike, or the other person arrives on time.

7. Your mind is returns from La La Land and else the nuts and bolts of everyday life/demands/things, returns. Your concentration returns and you don't have to struggle to focus, concentrate, retain or remember.

Gemini and Virgo sun sign people are ruled natally by Mercury, tend to get more upset over Mercury Retrograde periods because they're such picky perfectionists and they really do expect their lives to go like clockwork and God forbid they be late for an appointment--HORRORS!! For them, it's a major crisis if that occurs. For them, Mercury retrograde periods are discombobulating because they can't be perfect or strive for that near-perfection for three weeks, three or four times a year. If they can 'get over' this need to be perfect or always on-time, then it's not such a stressful period for them :).

Now, Virgo's and Gemini's can rest, take a deep breath and stop feeling like someone stole half their brain. Even though they are not affected directly by this particular Mercury going direct, they still get influenced by it "just because" it is their natal planetary ruler.

WITH MERCURY GOING DIRECT YOU WANT TO...

1. Finish up on something--Mercury Direct is a wonderful time to wrap up projects, attend to details, and yes, clean up your messy desk, reorganize things, it will all fall into magical place now, shortly after the retrograde motion is over. Your telephone starts ringing, email flow increases, faxes are more numerous , and generally, a period of quiet is over and the frantic activity replaces it.

2. If you have a project that has lain around a long time and you just never got around to it--now is the time to look at it more closely and decide if its worth your investment in time and energy--if it isn't, during this time, you'll more than likely drop it permanently--or get serious about resurrecting it or completing it--successfully!

3. Lies, deceit, cheating and sneaky actions by others or yourself, will come to light during a Mercury Retrograde period. It's the the long arm of Karma unveiling such negative things. If you think you duped someone--wait--during this period is when it will come to light and boy, will you be caught 'red handed'!!! Or, if someone said something behind your back--it will get back to you during this time frame. Or, if you were in some way cheated, duped or lied to, you will find out about it now. All these possibilities came to light; now with Mercury going direct you have a clean slate, so to speak. Anything hidden, has come to light and now it's time to get on with the forward motion of your life once more.

4. Your daily routine is back-so, "go with the flow". You'll be less day-dreamy, less spacy, more....of 'something'--so just go 'there.' This is a great time for outer/external experiences. It's wonderful for doing external work. You're a lot less inclined to want quiet, to be alone, or do meditational types of things (which are internal work and energy)..

5. This is a great time to start new projects of any kind--big or small. Wash the windows! Paint that cabinet! Start that brainchild project that has been there silently asking for completion. Dust that room! Take down the spider webs!

Best of all, life gets back on a more or less "normal" routine or "rut" that many of us cherish. When Mercury is retrograde, it all goes in the toilet and gets flushed. Now the Cosmic Toilet of Life is back on line and we can breath a deep sigh of relief at least in that quadrant of our lives! Routine is back. Constancy will return. So will our sanity for those of us who feel like our rut got ripped out from under us. Let's hear it for the humdrum of life. We get it back on December 3rd!

Elianah

Hey fellow star chasers! :D

I'm currently reading Erin Sullivan's Retrograde Planets: Transversing the Inner Landscape. Thought I'd share what she has to say about Merc Rx:

When interpreting Mercury retrograde cycles in the horoscope, keep in mind that the process being defined is multifaceted. We are analysing not only the ability to receive information but also what is done with that information once it is assimilated. Mercury, then, represents the human mind's capacity to symbolize reality and, conversely, to translate symbols into reality. The regularity of sunrise and sunset, apparent seasonal changes and the measurement of time and space are all a result of our observation of the Sun. In the same manner, the direct and retrograde phases of Mercury are our geocentric references for both conscious and unconscious perceptions, and for the mind as it faces inner questions about outer challenges.

Natally, Mercury symbolizes the ability to formulate and articulate ideas that originate in an abstract pattern. It is the ability to use words as symbols of what is seen, touched, smelled, heard or tasted; in other words to translate sensory perceptions into concepts. As the planet of communication, Mercury functionsas the 'teller of the tale', and relates the inner perceptions to another individual's Mercury, which then becomes the "hearer of the tale'. John Lilly says communication is 'the creation of information in one mind by the means of signals from another mind. The second mind acknowledges the reception of the signals and the formation of the information by feeding back other signals to the first mind, which then creates new information'. As you may well imagine, much can be lost in the translation!

When Mercury is direct, as it is 80 percent of the time, the mind works on a very functional level. There is little time for retrospection, and energy is expended in productive action. Our contemplative side is virtually on hold. This is a natural rhythm. The period of time that Mercury is retrograde will give rise to issues that have lain dormant for the three months prior. This is the time when much of the unconscious information that has been absorbed and stored will begin to surface in a fashion specific to the needs of the person and his or her own timing.

The retrogression of Mercury is the instinctive mental 'downtime'. It is associated with much re-doing, re-thinking, re-organizing, re-associating; anything that can be prefaced with re- will define this rest period. It is very much like the lateral shift that needs to take place for the emergence of a seed idea into a formulated concept. This process is as natural as sleep is to waking. Imagine the state your mind would be in if it did not recognize the need for unconsciousness and dreamtime. If we ignore signals for sleep, then within a matter of days the unconscious and the conscious mind begin to fraternize and cause no end of confusion and difficulty in discerning real from imagined.

Mercury is the guide during the journeys we make between 'awake' and 'sleep' and between consciousness and unconsciousness. The Mercury retrograde cycle is the natural rhythm of the space between here and there, the liminal space of the journeyer on his way to discovery.

Some food for thought, pun very intended. :lol: :lol:

Amazon1963

Of course as soon as I hit submit on this post, the pc will crash, car will have 4 flat tires and the bank will 'lose' my last direct deposit commission check...here goes anyways! (just remembered I am still awaiting money yet to be paid to me)

So far so good on this Merc Rx period..honestly! Well ok in my 'mind' I am having the most awesome conversations with myself but the written or spoken word, I sound like I'm mentally challenged or at the least, the entrance of dementia. The words just fail me or I trip over them (usually when I'm with a client) or I will have inspiration and as soon as I get pen and paper...'poof!' its gone. I have just slowed way down and tread more carefully with my communicating these days. It has helped.

I shuddered when I saw that the Thanksgiving holiday fell during this period. Nothing wrong with the meal, the preps or anything like that. In fact, I reread the Merc Rx info before I went to the gathering and lets say they met and exceeded my darkest expectations. Played it safe here with lots of compassion but no other involvement. :shock:

Fingers crossed, Merc Rx isnt quite over yet, but so far its going ok here. Maybe its because I studied up on Merc Rx in Sag with lots of help here and how best to use the energies...might could be... :D

Amazon

baker

Amazon: I had a flat tire saturday, called aaa and they came out and pumped it up, said nothing wrong, just cold temp changes, a lot of bull; a little later, flat again! :? called aaa back and they sent another person out who changed the tire for the spare .... the spouses truck, over the last week, keeps breaking down, domino affect, first this, then that, hasn't been able to drive it for days now, and will need towed to the garage.