Why do they say Aquarius/Uranus create astrology?

Gemini888

I can't seem to find evidence support this claim. Personally, I would imagine Pisces/Neptune being a better association. Pisces/Neptune is connected with the higher realm without being stuck in dogmas like Sagittarius. Pisces believes in everything spiritual and Neptune transcends all boundary of the reality we know. It would be more logical that Pisces/Neptune found astrology. Aqua/Uranus is too logical for spirituality. Also Uranus is the planet of science and progression. Astrology faded into obscurity because of the science revolution.

greybeard

"why do they...."

Who is They?

Astrology was long before the modern planets were recognized. According to "They", who created astrology then?

Try attribution... Like, "Alan Leo" or "Claudius Ptolemy" says "Uranus created astrology in 7 days." It's hard to argue with "they".

I'm curious as to what YOU mean by "Create" in this context.

Last edited:

Gemini888

I was simply questioning the notion of associating Aquarius to the creation of astrology. Modern astrologers may link Uranus to that too. Some websites claim that 10H Uranus is good for astrologers.

greybeard

Why don't you test that proposition by taking the charts of a half-dozen accomplished astrologers, instead of quoting some hack website?

One learns astrology by reading charts.

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Hi G888,

If you were to pick up any book on a subject you don't know anything about, and opened it to say page 86, would you immediately understand what you were reading?
I doubt it, no matter how high your mind works. You would have to learn from page 1, taking in what was written by those before who had studied the subject at great length in order to write down their perspectives of knowledge.
Learn, write, thoughts, communication. What planet/sign do you think of?
Perspectives, knowledge and passing on views. What planet/sign comes to mind?
Learning through experience and setting it into a (ruled) discipline? What planet/sign comes to mind?

Don't forget that Saturn is the traditional ruler of Aquarius, the archivist of all mental thought. Uranus may have just brought it up to date to meet with the more conscious-raising spirit..:wink::smile:

I don't personally see any relevance of Neptune/Pisces with the creation of astrology, even with Jupiter as the traditional ruler of the sign. Its esoteric discipline is the next stepping stone that follows Uranus, wouldn't you say?

waybread

Mercury is the traditional ruler of astrology.

Uranus was an early god-- husband of Gaia, father of Saturn, and grandfather of Jupiter-- who symbolized the starry night sky. Gaia was the primal earth mother, and Uranus was the primal sky father.

This is why some modern astrologers see him as the planetary ruler of astrology.

david starling

"why do they...."

Who is They?

Astrology was long before the modern planets were recognized. According to "They", who created astrology then?

Try attribution... Like, "Alan Leo" or "Claudius Ptolemy" says "Uranus created astrology in 7 days." It's hard to argue with "they".

I'm curious as to what YOU mean by "Create" in this context.

In ancient Greece, astrology was assigned a Muse, Urania. She was the granddaughter of the deposed god of the Heavens, Ouranos, and took his place, being regarded as the goddess of the Heavens. Now, male chauvinism aside, she has a Planet to represent her: :uranus:

greybeard

Astrology has always had her planet...Mercury, messenger of the gods. Mercury rules all sorts of "magick". The orbit of Mercury holds a very high inclination.

david starling

Astronomers were clearly looking for a name for the astronomical 7th planet (Earth included) that related to the study of the Heavens, which is "Urano" in ancient Greek. In Latin, the name for the god personifying the Heavens was "Caelus", not "Uranus".
But, the Muse personifying the Heavens, portrayed as holding the Celestial Sphere and a pointer representing measurement, had the same name in both Greek and Latin, "Urania".

wilsontc

Staff member
look at the charts of astrologers, to Gemini

I can't seem to find evidence support this claim [that Uranus created astrology]...It would be more logical that Pisces/Neptune found astrology. Aqua/Uranus is too logical for spirituality. Also Uranus is the planet of science and progression. Astrology faded into obscurity because of the science revolution.

Gemini,

No one says a planet "created" astrology. Traditional astrologers think of Mercury as the planet of astrology while Modern astrologers tend to look to Uranus. The reason for the Modern astrologers thinking of Uranus as a planet that indicates an interest in astrology is because of the number of modern astrologers who have Uranus in a prominent position in their astrological chart. If you want to test out your theory of Neptune being prominent in astrology, gather the charts of well-known modern astrologers (you can find their charts on the web) and see how powerful Neptune is in their chart. Then, just for fun, see how prominent Uranus is in their chart. Of course, in order to do this, you need to learn astrological basics. If you don't know them, click on the link below this post to get a "crash course" in astrology.

About Uranus and astrology,

Tim

david starling

Astrology has always had her planet...Mercury, messenger of the gods. Mercury rules all sorts of "magick". The orbit of Mercury holds a very high inclination.

I see you refer to astrology as female. Astrology has always had her Muse, "Urania" in both Greek and in Latin. The Muse personifying the Heavens is in the same category as her deceased grandfather, Uranos, and rules Aquarius. Mercury is about communication in general, but the ancient religious category of Uranos/Urania is specifically about astrology, which included astronomy.
Now that we have a Planet to associate with the inspiration for, and study of, astrology, it supercedes Mercury in that regard.

Last edited:

david starling

Urania, goddess of the Heavens and Muse of astrology, has her pedigree--granddaughter of Uranos/Caelus, god of the Heavens, and daughter of Zeus/Jupiter, Sky-god. She's not a minor ancient goddess unless one considers astrology to be of minor, or even no interest. She's the link that provides the reason why the Planet bearing her grandfather's name correlates as the creator of astrology. No inspiration, no astrology.

Last edited:

david starling

Not knowing about the existence of an important astrological indicator doesn't cancel its effect on us. But, it's effect could be attributed to a known indicator of a somewhat similar nature. Both Uranian and Mercurial influence are in the realm of the mind, so it makes sense that Uranian effects would be attributed to Mercury.

waybread

In ancient Greece, astrology was assigned a Muse, Urania. She was the granddaughter of the deposed god of the Heavens, Ouranos, and took his place, being regarded as the goddess of the Heavens. Now, male chauvinism aside, she has a Planet to represent her: :uranus:

Urania is a character in mythology, as well as an an asteroid If you go to the chart construction pages at Astrodienst www.astro.com you can input Urania in your chart. In my chart Urania conjuncts Venus.

david starling

Urania is a character in mythology, as well as an an asteroid If you go to the chart construction pages at Astrodienst www.astro.com you can input Urania in your chart. In my chart Urania conjuncts Venus.

That's in keeping with the opinion of most modern-day astronomers that astrology is too minor a subject to consider its Muse, Goddess of the Heavens, as important enough to associate with a Planet.
There was a strange disconnect in the Planet's naming what it was named. As the story goes, they wanted to follow the partial pattern of son-to-father (Mars>Jupiter>Saturn>Caelus). I say partial, because it leaves out the first two Planets of the sequence, Mercury and Venus; and, in retrospect, the naming of Neptune and Pluto.
All right, fine. But here's where something's amiss. They also wanted Roman, not Greek names. Simple enough, name it "Caelus", just as Zeus is named "Jupiter". Instead, they refer back to the Greek prefix "Uran", meaning "of the Heavens", and further complicate things by attempting to make it SOUND Latin rather than Greek, by changing "Uranos" , or "Ouranos", to "Uranus".
I consider that fortunate, because by inexplicably emphasizing "Uran", they included the Muse Urania in that category.
Btw, how is the "Goddess of the Heavens", granddaughter of Uranos, and daughter of Sky-god and King Zeus and Mnemosyne, goddess of Memory, just a minor "character"? Remember, she appears AFTER the demise of Uranos/Caelus, the only no-longer-relevant Greco-Roman deity in ancient times which is associated with astrology. Meaning, he was no longer a player in the affairs of the gods themselves.
If you're looking for Urania to have taken part in godly shenanigans, remember, as Goddess of the Heavens, she was "above it all". :biggrin:

Last edited:

david starling

Oh oh....is it forbidden for a Modernistic astrologer to modify a Planet's astronomer-bestowed name, even if the change makes sense astrologically speaking?
In my defense, it's really not that much of a change, since the expression "Uranian rulership" applies to both the inactive (and name misspelled) god Uranus, and the active goddess and Muse, Urania.
I can also cite the imbalance in rulership gender. Only two of the ten standard Modernistic rulers are female. The addition of the three Outermosts was a perfect opportunity to add at least one more goddess--an option unfortunately not taken. I see it as implied, though, by the awkward naming of the first male addition, as explained in my previous post. I also don't consider an incomplete pattern (in reference to the son-father sequence) as necessarily valid.

Last edited:

david starling

Re: look at the charts of astrologers, to Gemini

I have Uranus conjunct my MC. Obviously, I'm a natural. :cool:

David, this web page on Greek mythology may be of interest.
https://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Ouranos.html

"Uranus" is an attempt at jury-rigging a Latin spelling. It's actually just a strange modern combination of Greek "Uranos" and Latin "Caelus", with the Latin ending tacked onto the Greek word. :andy:

Yes, having Urania:)uranus:) on your M.C. is an excellent matchup with your Sun in Aquarius. :biggrin:
May the Muse be with you!

Last edited: