Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

wilsontc

Staff member
astrology is not a belief, to sapphire

sapphire,

Astrology is not a belief, it's an observation. Many years ago people noticed a similar effect between what happened in the sky and what happened to people on the ground. You, too, can notice this effect, if you study astrology and follow the astrological rules. Whether or not you "believe" in the effect doesn't matter: as katydid mentions, the effect is still there regardless of belief. It's sort of like deciding on whether or not you "believe" in the weather: whether or not you "believe" in rain, you're still going to get wet if you walk out in a blowing rainstorm.

About astrology,

Tim

miquar

Hi. I assume that you use the expression 'believe in astrology' as shorthand for 'agree that astrological lore is a valid - that there are correlations between the terrestrial and the celestial'. I would say that you can rightfully experience neither belief nor disbelief in astrology until you test it out. I could share my experience, but what would that mean for you?

Best wishes

Miquar

I don't believe in astrology any more than I believe in religious descriptions of God. We are creators of our own being and circumstances of birth is merely the naturally explainable starting point. Astrology isn't about belief, but ability to relate to something in your chart and understanding quirks of other people who may or may not relate. Sometimes you can also draw creative inspiration out of it. Nothing should be followed blindly nor against your will however. Your choice!

obsidianmineral

I don't believe in astrology any more than I believe in religious descriptions of God. We are creators of our own being and circumstances of birth is merely the naturally explainable starting point. Astrology isn't about belief, but ability to relate to something in your chart and understanding quirks of other people who may or may not relate. Sometimes you can also draw creative inspiration out of it. Nothing should be followed blindly nor against your will however. Your choice!

I find your standpoint to be confusing. You put everything in this grey line where you say astrology works since you can relate and can associate astrological placements with your own life experience but at the same time you're saying it's a belief and therefore it's bad since beliefs shouldn't change who you are cause you are the one who shapes your destiny. It's as if you're placing astrology in this awkward classification of pseudo-sciences that can be used (implying they work) but could also vary in trustability depending on the person (implying they do not work). It's like saying astrology is a way of telling how your life is using abstract symbols and generalized descriptions, that do work since they're generalized, and in that way it works and it's a valid method of knowing yourself, but at the same time it shouldn't be followed as a belief only as a method. Astrology is about belief, it cannot be only a tool. If it's a method that is based on prediction and fortunetelling then it must also be a belief. Using a tool successfully and then saying it's not a belief but a tool sounds logical, yes, but it's like not mentally agreeing with the outcome of something that can only result in success or failure. If it works then you have no other choice but to completely believe in it or completely disagree with it, there are no in-betweens. When you said "quirks of other people who may or may not relate" it really gave it third dimension of complexity where you're telling us that

A) Astrology is a prediction system that can be used to solve problems

B) This, however, doesn't mean it works.

C) In the given scenarios where it is used successfully as a tool (by understanding quirks of others who may or may not relate or by understanding yourself), it may still not actually work depending on the person who considers it.

If you actually understand others with astrology then they must relate, they can't disassociate themselves from something that's supposedly intrinsically valid. If physics works through formulas and laws, then it can only be a tool and never a belief? Can people actually do physics without believing in them? Or was it that you said "belief" as in "trust"? Do you mean astrology may vary in accuracy due to it being something subjective and therefore you should only quietly contemplate what it tells you but not believe or doubt it?

Last edited:

Taurus9

It is up to you. I don't believe in astrology because it doesn't require belief. There are certain astrological patterns that I know through experience. There are many that I don't. Sometimes it is interesting to learn more. That said, sometimes the macrocosm is complex and overwhelming and not worth attention, especially when the answers are less resistant to you in the microcosm. If you know yourself more than you know astrology, it is a good thing. You may know yourself enough to not be interested in astrology.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Astrologer Judith Hill matched biographies and natal charts successfully when tested :smile:

Here is a quote from her website, and a link:
“......Judith Hill is an internationally recognized Astrologer, researcher
and award winning author of many books
with a lifetime of experience in all fields of the art.
She accepted a 1986 NCGR sponsored skeptic’s challenge and WON!
by SUCCESSFULLY MATCHING FIVE ANONYMOUS BIOGRAPHIES to FIVE NATAL CHARTS.
Her scientific research projects in astro-genetics and astro-seismology
have received international attention.......”
http://www.judithhillastrology.com/learn-astrology/51-uncategorised/88-welcome

Judith Hill did a very good study on MARS IN THE CHARTS OF RED HEADS
She did this study twice, both with significant results.

These links are informative and well worth reading
whichever side of the fence you find yourself on
http://www.astrologer.com/tests/basisofastrology.htm
http://www.theoryofastrology.com/evaluation/evaluation.htm

conspiracy theorist

I'm with Starling, no reason why should believe in it at all. Astrology takes a fair bit of investment to make any real progress in. Better to apply yourself to something that you think is worth your while.

Chillaxer

Quantum mechanics and the ambiguities in the world. Filling in the gaps that rationalism can't explain, plus getting guidance.

regular mundane happenings are not coincidental to me.. astrology proves this by adding a deeper meaning to interactions. Ever meet someone you "just didnt like." If you were to study astrology and get familar with your energy and others.. sometimes peoples energies just clash.. this is power of astrology at its best in the real world.

obsidianmineral

So, basically, when astrologers get asked why someone should believe in astrology, a lot of them say you don't have to. Really? That's like simply saying you've got 0 proof to back it up. We need more people who are devoted to this pseudo-science. Someone should start using statistics or something to atleast have something to back it up.