Virtue of being self-absorbed?

JUPITERASC

Re: Feeling guilty about my natal chart.

"In love, the currency is virtue.
You love people not for what you do for them or what they do for you.
You them for their values and virtues. Y
ou don't love cousins; you don't love everyone indiscriminately.
You only love those who deserve it.
Man has free-will; if a man wants love, he should correct his flaws and he may deserve it,
but he cannot expect the unearned."

Quotes by Ayn Rand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQVrMzWtqgU&feature=share
quote-style-is-what-gives-value-and-currency-to-thoughts-arthur-schopenhauer-94-17-80.jpg

252484.png

quote-thoughts-are-mental-energy-they-re-the-currency-that-you-have-to-attract-what-you-desire-wayne-dyer-69-62-69.jpg

AppLeo

K thank you JupiterASC, but I'm not arguing with you anymore.

My beliefs are final. :smile:

And Buddha is an idiot. All he does is sit and meditate and never does anything productive.

"You can light 1000 candles with one candle so that means you can do with love too"

Yeah okay, whatever.

StillOne

And Buddha is an idiot. All he does is sit and meditate and never does anything productive.

"You can light 1000 candles with one candle so that means you can do with love too"

Yeah okay, whatever.

I think you've made your position clear and so it's not surprising your opinion about Buddha as a result.

Best wishes to you AppLeo!

JUPITERASC

K thank you JupiterASC, but I'm not arguing with you anymore.

Yeah okay, whatever.

quote-ignorance-the-root-and-stem-of-all-evil-plato-146414.jpg

Oddity

Leo, go read Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations if you're wildly interested in economics, and you seem to be.

It will stand you in much better stead than all the Ayn Rand stuff.

JUPITERASC

Perhaps Self-Centered is a better concept than Selfish?

To be centered in oneself is to have inner harmony and strength so that the behaviour of others does not throw us off balance and effect our ability to love. By maintaining our equilibrium, we are in a better position to be of service to others. By being of service we are growing and evolving (Self-centered) and also allowing and inspiring others to grow and evolve (Selfless).

We stay centered by knowing our needs and knowing exactly how to get them fulfilled and doing it. It also means taking the time to focus inwards so that you may discern between what you need vs what you want.

It's ok to have desires and fulfill them, yet at the same time, the more desires we have, the higher the risk of us getting bogged down in fulfilling "selfish" desires and actually ending up neglecting our true needs. Thus we lose control over ourselves and become a liability to others and ourselves.

That is why we will always need people/souls who Love...Otherwise entropy would be the result. Love renews and expands.

If one looks at it from the perspective of Soul Evolution (If you entertain such thoughts)

Perhaps one could say that there is no great growth in only loving those whom we deem to be lovable...

Great growth comes from loving those whom we deem to be unlovable, by our own feelings and standards, someone who is unlovable to you might be very lovable to another.

Love manifests in infinite ways depending on the situation and the people/energies involved.

To love someone does not have to manifest as you regularily associating with that person. It might manifest as cutting that person loose so that they can grow too, that is loving, even if it doesn't seem so on the surface.

So if you cut that person loose and it hurts you, or you stand to lose something, then in that situation you are being primarily Selfless, whilst at the same time gaining Self-centered growth and maintaining your equlilibrium.

The other person will naturally (most often) see you as being Selfish.

pope-francis-607632.jpg

AppLeo

I think you've made your position clear and so it's not surprising your opinion about Buddha as a result.

Best wishes to you AppLeo!

Well JupiterASC keeps making me defend my views.

:lol:

BAHA and you know who plato was? He's the philosopher of whimsical and abstract ideas, not logic or reason. Aristotle > Plato

Leo, go read Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations if you're wildly interested in economics, and you seem to be.

It will stand you in much better stead than all the Ayn Rand stuff.

Thank you, Oddity. I will check him out. I think economics is fascinating. I just started reading about Ayn Rand and just fell in love, so I haven't really had time to branch out.

Completely false.

Economic wealth has nothing to do with one's spiritual wealth.

There are rich people who are also rich spiritually.

And just because you're poor doesn't mean you're rich spiritually either.

There are plenty of poor people who are evil.

JUPITERASC

Well JupiterASC keeps making me defend my views.

:lol:

BAHA and you know who plato was? He's the philosopher of whimsical and abstract ideas, not logic or reason. Aristotle > Plato

Thank you, Oddity. I will check him out. I think economics is fascinating. I just started reading about Ayn Rand and just fell in love, so I haven't really had time to branch out.

Completely false.

Economic wealth has nothing to do with one's spiritual wealth.

There are rich people who are also rich spiritually.

And just because you're poor doesn't mean you're rich spiritually either.

There are plenty of poor people who are evil.

2dcd50f9b28657e0b5ff2f2aeb079921.jpg

AppLeo

An alternative example of
what it would mean to have love above self interest :smile:

Instead of putting self interest above love
Bill Gates could raise his employees quality of life
by paying them reasonable wages
But Bill Gates would then no longer be 'the worlds richest man'
and that's why tens of hundred of millions of workers suffer debt slave wages
so one persons self interest may continue to flourish

76bd1a3884dfbe6723aab36d43b12129.jpg

I earn about $8.50 an hour, so for me it wouldn't even be worth the time to pick up 8,000 pennies.