The astrology of Musicians

Sagittarius Jupiter

I researched the astrology of musicians for indicators.
I came to the conclusion, musicians often have these ones:
-Venus in aspect to Saturn (major)
-Venus in aspect to Mercury (major)
-Saturn in Taurus
-Mars in Leo or Libra
-Venus in 7th house
or -Ascendant besieged between Venus and Saturn.
Know any musicians?
Post example charts! :)

Neptune rules music so I would think that personal planets in aspect to Neptune would indicate musical talent. Mercury/Venus aspects are good for singers. Also planets in Leo love to perform.

UraSatVen1029

Well I'm a singer and a musician. The only I checked off of your list is the first one. I have Venus opposite Saturn.

Other than that, I agree with VirgoSun. Neptune also rules music, sometimes the cinema. I have Neptune in the 1st house. My Sun,Mercury, Venus and Saturn all aspect Neptune (all in squares too. :() but I do have Sun and venus very closely conjunct, Mercury sextiling Neptune. I don't have any Libra or Taurus placements, just a Jupiter in Pisces.

Neptune rules music so I would think that personal planets in aspect to Neptune would indicate musical talent. Mercury/Venus aspects are good for singers. Also planets in Leo love to perform.

What's wrong with Venus ruling music? Venus rules art and beauty, so shouldn't it be a much better fit for music as well?

To the OP: how many charts have you studied? What house system do you use? What orbs do you use? Do you use tropical or sidereal zodiac? Do you only consider A- or AA-rated charts on Astro-DataBank (assuming that's what you use)? You've probably conducted research using your preferred methods, but other people may prefer other methods and get different results. For that reason I'm skeptical about the usefulness of such researches, but good luck anyway! :) I personally don't know if there can be a universal indicator of musicians but Venus has to be prominent somehow, usually by being close to any angle (either conjunct or advancing to it). Also, the thing is that music is a very general term. For example, there is noise music (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_music) and it is technically considered music with people producing it being called musicians but a lot of people wouldn't call it music even remotely.

Last edited:

UraSatVen1029

What's wrong with Venus ruling music? Venus rules art and beauty, so shouldn't it be a much better fit for music as well?

To the OP: how many charts have you studied? What house system do you use? What orbs do you use? Do you use tropical or sidereal zodiac? Do you only consider A- or AA-rated charts on Astro-DataBank (assuming that's what you use)? You've probably conducted a research using your preferred methods, but other people may prefer other methods and get different results. For that reason I'm skeptical about the usefulness of such researches, but good luck anyway! :) I personally don't know if there can be a universal indicator of musicians but Venus has to be prominent somehow, usually by being close to any angle (either conjunct or advancing to it). Also, the thing is that music is a very general term. For example, there is noise music (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_music) and it is technically considered music with people producing it being called musicians but a lot of people wouldn't call it music even remotely.

VirgoSun is right though. Besides you know, all that illusion stuff, seeing the world through rose-colored glasses thing, drugs, and spiritualness, you can associate Neptune with music too. Well, some consider Neptune to be the higher octave of Venus, but some might not agree.

Not to say Neptune fits better though. Both Venus and Neptune can be associated with music. I've seen people with unaspected Venus, or with really prominent and strong Venuses that are talented in music. I've also seen some people with prominent Neptune, and/or with strong influence of Neptune to be gifted in music as well.

To the OP: how many charts have you studied? What house system do you use? What orbs do you use? Do you use tropical or sidereal zodiac? Do you only consider A- or AA-rated charts on Astro-DataBank (assuming that's what you use)? You've probably conducted a research using your preferred methods, but other people may prefer other methods and get different results. For that reason I'm skeptical about the usefulness of such researches, but good luck anyway! :) I personally don't know if there can be a universal indicator of musicians but Venus has to be prominent somehow, usually by being close to any angle (either conjunct or advancing to it). Also, the thing is that music is a very general term. For example, there is noise music (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_music) and it is technically considered music with people producing it being called musicians but a lot of people wouldn't call it music even remotely.

It is commonly known and accepted by most astrologers that Neptune rules music. Yes, Venus does rule art and beauty, but not all music is beautiful. For example, Mars in aspect to Uranus, and Neptune might be found in the charts of heavy metal musicians. Venus in Pisces would be good for music, but generally speaking, Venus is not the main indicator of musical talent.

It is commonly known and accepted by most astrologers that Neptune rules music. Yes, Venus does rule art and beauty, but not all music is beautiful. For example, Mars in aspect to Uranus, and Neptune might be found in the charts of heavy metal musicians. Venus in Pisces would be good for music, but generally speaking, Venus is not the main indicator of musical talent.

OK, got it. "It's commonly known and accepted" is an argument from authority which is a logical fallacy, in case you don't know. The thing is that I may not consider the sources you cite as credible, so I wanted an actual explanation. Or do you take every word of "most" (are you sure about "most"?) astrologers as gospel and don't try to question anything? If you do, don't expect others to do the same.

Music is primarily ruled by Venus, from my perspective, but surely enough, there are many variables that come into play. Some link to Mars can make a person prefer aggressive music, to Saturn - more melancholic and serious music etc. With music people generally want to deliver something beautiful and pleasing to ear so I really don't understand your comment "not all music is beautiful". What music are you talking about? Different people have different preferences in terms of music so what you don't consider beautiful, may be very beautiful to someone else. Also I require examples of charts where Mars is in aspect to Uranus or Neptune which can prove your point. If you don't have any, I don't see any reason to accept it as true.

Last edited:
According to some descriptions, my aspects i have would point to some kind of music ability.. i like to sing.

http://astromatrix.org/Horoscopes/Planet-Aspects/Saturn-Conjunct-Neptune

http://astromatrix.org/Horoscopes/Planet-Aspects/Moon-Trine-Neptune

I have similar placements to Michael Jackson, same houses, similar.

oh7qYmR.png

https://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Michael_Jackson

There is a singer out there with my exact chart..

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110592

Last edited:
OK, got it. "It's commonly known and accepted" is an argument from authority which is a logical fallacy, in case you don't know. The thing is that I may not consider the sources you cite as credible, so I wanted an actual explanation. Or do you take every word of "most" (are you sure about "most"?) astrologers as gospel and don't try to question anything? If you do, don't expect others to do the same.

Music is primarily ruled by Venus, from my perspective, but surely enough, there are many variables that come into play. Some link to Mars can make a person prefer aggressive music, to Saturn - more melancholic and serious music etc. With music people generally want to deliver something beautiful and pleasing to ear so I really don't understand your comment "not all music is beautiful". What music are you talking about? Different people have different preferences in terms of music so what you don't consider beautiful, may be very beautiful to someone else. Also I require examples of charts where Mars is in aspect to Uranus or Neptune which can prove your point. If you don't have any, I don't see any reason to accept it as true.

All of the planets will add a unique flavor to each individual's musical tastes, abilities, and form of expression. I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and Venus will express itself differently depending on which sign it is in and how it is aspected. I personally do not find gangster rap or death metal to be beautiful, but there are others that do. Venus expresses herself best when in Libra and pure Venusian beauty is about love, harmony, sensuality, feminine beauty, sweetness, sympathy, etc...

As for my example about Mars Uranus and Neptune aspects in heavy metal or rock music, these just make sense astrologically. Mars-aggression, Uranus-rebellion, and Neptune-music. Here are the charts of Lars Ulrich of Metallica and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd.

https://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Lars_Ulrich
https://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Roger_Waters

I find your response to what I have written to be rather presumptuous and arrogant. Your comment about an argument from authority being a logical fallacy is a poor attempt to justify your own interpretation of the planets. That type of attitude will be detrimental to your understanding of astrology.

All of the planets will add a unique flavor to each individual's musical tastes, abilities, and form of expression. I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and Venus will express itself differently depending on which sign it is in and how it is aspected. I personally do not find gangster rap or death metal to be beautiful, but there are others that do. Venus expresses herself best when in Libra and pure Venusian beauty is about love, harmony, sensuality, feminine beauty, sweetness, sympathy, etc...

As for my example about Mars Uranus and Neptune aspects in heavy metal or rock music, these just make sense astrologically. Mars-aggression, Uranus-rebellion, and Neptune-music. Here are the charts of Lars Ulrich of Metallica and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd.

https://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Lars_Ulrich
https://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Roger_Waters

I find your response to what I have written to be rather presumptuous and arrogant. Your comment about an argument from authority being a logical fallacy is a poor attempt to justify your own interpretation of the planets. That type of attitude will be detrimental to your understanding of astrology.

First off I can't do much but disagree with your comment that Venus expresses itself best in Libra. Do you completely rule out Taurus as Venus' domicile? I don't. I would actually argue that Venus feels itself more comfortable in the sign of Taurus because Taurus is the sign of Venus' joy (as suggested by Sahl) and the reason for that is that Taurus is a nocturnal sign, just like Venus is a nocturnal planet. Most probably, you don't use these terms but I consider them important. Venus is still very strong in Libra but is very strong AND comfortable in Taurus. I disagree that Venus in Libra carries "feminine beauty", the sign of Libra isn't feminine at all. Not sure about sympathy also, because Libra is the exaltation of Saturn which isn't particularly known for its sympathetic qualities. Taurus, however, is the exaltation of the Moon, which makes the sign very sympathetic and feminine.

OK, thanks for the charts, now we're getting somewhere. I see the aspects you describe. So do you say that these aspects make these two fond of heavy metal or rock music? There are most probably thousands of people that have these exact aspects so do you assume that all these people are fond of such music too? I say that there are not enough information to make such claims. Moreover, there is no birth time for neither of these musicians so the analysis of their charts won't get us far. Birth time is extremely important! Funnily enough, by the way, in my own chart I have Mars, Uranus and Neptune (Venus as well!) all aspecting each other but I strongly dislike heavy metal and am not that interested in rock music at all. But hey, maybe I'm an exception.

Well, if my response was seen as presumptuous and arrogant, then so be it. With my remark about your argument from authority I simply pointed out that your response could not be counted as an argument or an answer to my question even and that you can't expect me or anyone else agree with it just because someone else (who?) said so. Thanks for your very valuable comment about my attitude in understanding astrology, I feel very enlightened now. Wow.

Last edited:

Luney

I always had a passion for playing a guitar. My Mother never believed had any ability. which affected me growing up, self esteem etc...

A friend of Mums gave me a guitar, knowing how passionate I was. He taught me 3 chords and I was off on my journey.
I've played Music since I was 11. I was self taught, played in bands, lived in Studios, and was offered a job teaching kids for a couple of years.
I play keyboard and drums, Write my own music and Lyrics.
My Lyrics were quite dark (very Scorpio). I expressed my personal pain through my Music.
It was around my first Saturn Return at 29 I joined a band was the best time in my life.
"Luney" was my stage name!

I guess I have some good aspects in my chart that support Music.
Saturn in the 5th house has been my Push to learn.
Here are some Musical aspects
Saturn trine Neptune
Saturn trine Venus
Sun conjunct Neptune
Sun Conjunct Venus
Venus sextile Uranus
Venus sextiles Mars (singing, dancing and other musical forms)
Saturn in the 5th house opposite Uranus in the 11th house (playing in bands)
Venus sextiles Uranus
Mars Sextile Neptune
I have a similar chart to Katy Perry and Bruce Lee :biggrin:

Attachments

• Luneys Natal Chart - Copy.jpg
    Luneys Natal Chart - Copy.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 28
First off I can't do much but disagree with your comment that Venus expresses itself best in Libra. Do you completely rule out Taurus as Venus' domicile? I don't. I would actually argue that Venus feels itself more comfortable in the sign of Taurus because Taurus is the sign of Venus' joy (as suggested by Sahl) and the reason for that is that Taurus is a nocturnal sign, just like Venus is a nocturnal planet. Most probably, you don't use these terms but I consider them important. Venus is still very strong in Libra but is very strong AND comfortable in Taurus. I disagree that Venus in Libra carries "feminine beauty", the sign of Libra isn't feminine at all. Not sure about sympathy also, because Libra is the exaltation of Saturn which isn't particularly known for its sympathetic qualities. Taurus, however, is the exaltation of the Moon, which makes the sign very sympathetic and feminine.

OK, thanks for the charts, now we're getting somewhere. I see the aspects you describe. So do you say that these aspects make these two fond of heavy metal or rock music? There are most probably thousands of people that have these exact aspects so do you assume that all these people are fond of such music too? I say that there are not enough information to make such claims. Moreover, there is no birth time for neither of these musicians so the analysis of their charts won't get us far. Birth time is extremely important! Funnily enough, by the way, in my own chart I have Mars, Uranus and Neptune (Venus as well!) all aspecting each other but I strongly dislike heavy metal and am not that interested in rock music at all. But hey, maybe I'm an exception.

Well, if my response was seen as presumptuous and arrogant, then so be it. With my remark about your argument from authority I simply pointed out that your response could not be counted as an argument or an answer to my question even and that you can't expect me or anyone else agree with it just because someone else (who?) said so. Thanks for your very valuable comment about my attitude in understanding astrology, I feel very enlightened now. Wow.

No, I do not completely rule out Taurus as Venus's domicile. I believe that Venus is also well placed in Taurus, however in my personal opinion, I prefer Venus in Libra. Nocturnal dignity is something that I take into consideration as well, but there are also many other factors like sect, house placement, and weather Venus is in it's morning or evening star phase. I am also familiar with Saturn's exaltation in Libra as well as the Moon in Taurus (which Noel Tyl finds to be difficult because Taurus is a fixed sign and the Moon is in constant fluctuation). Once again you are being presumptuous because you assume that I don't use these terms just because I do not agree with you. Obviously you and I have a difference of opinion regarding Venus and this debate could potentially extend into infinity if we keep introducing other factors into the equation. We are getting off topic now and I would like to get back on track. You claim that Venus is the primary ruler of Music, and I claim that Neptune is the ruler. I suggest that you continue this debate with other astrologers and draw you own conclusions.

As for the Mars/Uranus/Neptune influence, I just referenced a possible manifestation of these influences. You asked for charts and I gave them to you. I did not make any concrete predictions about them, so do not make assumptions about me. You seem to have all of the answers already so I am not sure what you are looking for on this forum.

katydid

I usually defer to 'the Rulership Book' by Rex E Bills, to give a valid explanation for rulerships.

his book says:

Music, musical ability= Venus, Libra, Taurus, Neptune, [Leo, 5th, Moon]

Cultural Music =Neptune
Electronic Music=Uranus
Martial Music=Mars
Religious Music=Jupiter
Rock Music=Mars
Romantic Music=Venus

Musical iNstruments, in general=Venus
Percussion=Mars
Stringed=Neptune
Wind=Mercury

david starling

I usually defer to 'the Rulership Book' by Rex E Bills, to give a valid explanation for rulerships.

his book says:

Music, musical ability= Venus, Libra, Taurus, Neptune, [Leo, 5th, Moon]

Cultural Music =Neptune
Electronic Music=Uranus
Martial Music=Mars
Religious Music=Jupiter
Rock Music=Mars
Romantic Music=Venus

Musical iNstruments, in general=Venus
Percussion=Mars
Stringed=Neptune
Wind=Mercury

Would "cultural" mean Blues? Is he referring to ethnic?

theV

Taurus/2nd house rules musical and singing ability alongside gemini/Mercury ruling the throat and vocal range.

Leo/5th house indicates performing talent.

Sagittarius also sometimes indicates poetic and lyrical nature. They are good at writing poetry or lyrics. Heck most of influential musicians are Saggitarius.

Taurus/2nd house rules musical and singing ability alongside gemini/Mercury ruling the throat and vocal range.

Leo/5th house indicates performing talent.

Sagittarius also sometimes indicates poetic and lyrical nature. They are good at writing poetry or lyrics. Heck most of influential musicians are Saggitarius.

Is that where i get my voice from? though i'm untrained and randomly sing .. not sang in a long time but i love to... but get shy..

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0j2oJLokT3v

Plus the original singer is auto tuned slightly too.

CapAquaPis

3 signs associated with celebrity talent: Gemini, Leo and Pisces - whether it's the right combination of planetary placements along with the sun, moon and ASC...or just good luck based on one's ability, is linked to celebrity stardom.

Svencanz

In my book, it's aspects to Mercury, Pallas and Neptune that rule musical ability and success.
I have just added the example of Donald Glover, aka Childish Gambino, to my website. His example is interesting in that while he has some powerful aspects to Mercury, it wasn't until I looked at his midpoints that his super success became "explainable".

Mercury rules music and communication, among other things.
Pallas rules what is logical, orderly and sequenced, including musical compositions.
Neptune is the overall ruler of the creative arts.

For the astrology of Childish Gambino, go to the bottom of this page..

http://www.chironmagic.com/super success.htm