the first planet that comes to mind.
However in astronomy you can't do
experiments in a laboratory. I was
thinking that mercury is a better
match. And considered it was the
ancient ruler of astrology much better.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Because he's not, there are no associations with the sciences and Saturn. At least, none I've ever seen. What makes you think he is?

Science is Mercurial. Experiments, logic, the entirety of it.

Michael

Science deals with the material an
as such is saturnine. Things relating
to the intellect like mathematics,
astrology and maybe astronomy are
ruled by mercury.

I think that astronomy is not properly
a science, as it is an intellectual
activity that is later proved by
real data. It's like playing the stock
market like an expert.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
So, anything that deals with the material world is Saturnine? Hm...honestly, I would have thought Venus. Saturn is about ruin, silence, structure, limits. I don't see how that's scientific or really very materialistic for that matter. Saturn is the box and science seeks to look and discovery beyond this box. All things scientific are Mercurial. I don't think there are any exceptions to this.

Astronomy not a science? Astronomy was based off of the movements of the Sun, Moon, and Stars and the mathematics and observations used to calculate these movements, distances, and locations. Then they used this knowledge to map out the course of these objects' paths through the sky and predicted such things as eclipses, conjunctions, and occulations. Granted, modern technology has allowed such things as for us to figure out the mass, make up, and distances between these bodies, but I think it's as much a science as it was then.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Brilliant. Simply brilliant. :D

The construction of charts is certainly scientific, the interpretation thereof, however, is not. :) Science-art indeed.

there are a few scientific studies out there that have been performed to test astrology and its principals

I don't think astrology can be tested. Well...maybe it can, but it would definately be too complicated to do so.

Pallas-trine-Mars

Uranus or Mercury.

I agree with Kaiousei no Senshi (what does that mean anyway? :p), Saturn is material, but Saturn isn't concerned with the expansion of knowledge, in ancient times it was the symbol of "alogos," ignorance. Saturn is more concerned with knowledge in regards to people (hence the exaltation of Libra & it's modern midheaven, traditionally it was Scorpio because Aquarius was regarded as it's first house), and especially in regards to the negative aspects of people.

Uranus & Mercury are about breakthoughs, logic & curiousity; plus when Uranus was discovered it brought astronomy back, it made people say "all this time there was another giant planet out there, & we didn't know it!?" It's because of Uranus (who was in Gemini, Mercury's essential dignity & greater house) that we now know of the asteroid belt, the TNO, the centaurs, black holes...

Saturn probably rules measurements [in science & in general] though...

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Saturn is more concerned with knowledge in regards to people

Interesting take on it. I always thought Saturn was more interested in being all evil-like and malefic. :p The biggest laugh I've ever gotten out of astrology is Saturn representing clowns. I could never see Saturn laughing...good times...good times.

It's because of Uranus (who was in Gemini, Mercury's essential dignity & greater house) that we now know about the asteroid belt, the TNO, the centaurs, black holes...

Hehe, reminds me of an article I wrote. :D This also is an interesting take on Uranus' use throughout history. The discovery of Ceres took place 20 years after Uranus was first seen, so there could perhaps be some kind of connection. After all, once you break the bag, the contents keep spilling. Think there might be something to the fact of Neptune being the only planet found by mathmatical calculations rather than observation? Perhaps the idea of prediction, theory, and belief leading to physical discovery is a nice wink to the spiritual associations with Neptune. Hm, different thread topic. :)

Saturn probably rules measurements [in science & in general] though...

I'm pretty sure this is also Mercury. Mercury seems to be everything these days. :D

Draco

Mercury certainly pertains to science. 'Science' comes from the Greek, 'scion', meaning 'knowledge', and Mercury concerns the accumulation of information, and no knowledge can be acquired unless it is somehow communicated, and this is also Mercury's concern.

Mercury concerns anything that ends with the suffixes '-ology', '-onomy' and '-ometry'.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Saturn's association with science however, particularly in the modern world in which much science is completely material and atheistic in approach, and not inclined to adapt for the sake of preserving set ideas.

Michael

The biggest laugh I've ever gotten out of astrology is Saturn representing clowns. I could never see Saturn laughing...good times...good times.

Clowns on the surface don't have anything to do with Saturn. However
if you look deeper, clowns belittle themselves for the sake of making
others laugh. It is very different from having a good sense of
humour, something of a Jupiterian influence.

Last edited:

tikana

Michael said:
Science deals with the material an
as such is saturnine. Things relating
to the intellect like mathematics,
astrology and maybe astronomy are
ruled by mercury.

I think that astronomy is not properly
a science, as it is an intellectual
activity that is later proved by
real data. It's like playing the stock
market like an expert.

HUH? sorry but i must ask WHAT THE HECK are you talking about?

Astronomy is a scientific study of celestial objects!
Science is the systematic enterprise of gathering knowledge about anything but in this case, the universe, and organizing and condensing that knowledge into testable laws and theories. in addition, science is the concerted human effort to understand, or to understand better, the history of the natural world and how the natural world works, with observable physical evidence as the basis of that understanding1. It is done through observation of natural phenomena, and/or through experimentation that tries to simulate natural processes under controlled conditions.

and NO .. astronomy and astrology are not ruled by merc.. it is classic Uranus.
anythng that is associated with discoveries it is uranus!
1st you discover (uranus)
2nd you analyze and gain the knowledge (mercury)
3rd you come with a theory and a test to confirm it. (mercury)

and YES, astronomers do test their theories in life. expansion of universe was confirmed by a physical test
it was as simple as sticking GPS on the moon and every year they send a ray that bounces off the moon back to earth to see what is the distance between moon and the earth. MOon is leaving earth's gravitational orbit every year by 1 cm each year. The Earth would lose its grip on the Moon at about 1.5 million kilometers.. no one will see this cause our milky way will collide with M31 and the sun will go through red giant phase which will expand the sun to its maximum and burn mercury, then collapse within itself way before the moon reaches 1.5 million km point.

my 2.5 cents
Tik

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
traditional ruler of astronomy

Tik,

You said:
astrology are not ruled by merc.. it is classic Uranus 1st you discover (uranus)

Traditionally, astrology was ruled by Mercury (thinking, also writing). It is only very recently that astrology is seen to be ruled by Uranus (innovation, also computers). Uranus is the energy of restructuring, or looking at the same things in a different way, so it does have to do with inventions. But for actual "discovery" Mars is a better choice, since it involves going out, charging into new situations, and finding out truly new things. Mars is the adventurer while Uranus is more of an innovator.

From a different point of view,

Tim

tikana

Tim

i have mars in 2 cancer 11th house
my uranus is in 3rd house 3 deg scorpio

to be honest, my mars is sooo lazy, it is scarry! i dont see how mars is a discovery planet. i love discovering new things. LUV IT but my mars is dormant.

i have a cluster of planets in 3rd and jupiter in 9th. it is a riot having this, i love science but i hate studying. i rather try messing by trying *merc conj uranus, uranus conj sun* vs sitting and studying it or watch it on tv. Reading for me is a nightmare. I can sit and stare at the book for 3 hours and understand NOTHING. exploring for me ohh boy, it takes a major force to actually get up and do something. reading theories will put me to sleep. i love "get to the point" thinking. This is a theory after that sentence here is the proof. I hate reading something and thesis statement is hidden somewhere in the proof. BLEH! that is why i hate reading fictional stuff.

cheers
Tik

Last edited:

Draco

The biggest laugh I've ever gotten out of astrology is Saturn representing clowns.

This is a misunderstanding. Lilly tells us on page 317, of CA 1, concerning Saturn's 'Quality of Men':

In general he signifies husbandmen, clowns, beggars, day-labourers, old men, fathers, grandfathers, monks, jesuits, sectarists.

However, Lilly is not using the word, 'clown' in the way that we do. A quick look at the index at the back of the book, reveals that a 'clown', in 17th Century England, refers to 'a country oaf', a person whom no doubt would have been uneducated, simple, dirty and impoverished - which is very Saturnian.

Michael

HUH? sorry but i must ask WHAT THE HECK are you talking about?

Astronomy is a scientific study of celestial objects!

It's my fault for not explaining myself. What I meant is that astronomy
is not as strict as newtonian mechanics or chemistry. It's more open
to prediction, to wonder and therefore more mercurial. However I agree
with you that it is a science.

Michael

i have a cluster of planets in 3rd and jupiter in 9th. it is a riot having this, i love science but i hate studying. i rather try messing by trying *merc conj uranus, uranus conj sun* vs sitting and studying it or watch it on tv. Reading for me is a nightmare. I can sit and stare at the book for 3 hours and understand NOTHING. exploring for me ohh boy, it takes a major force to actually get up and do something. reading theories will put me to sleep. i love "get to the point" thinking. This is a theory after that sentence here is the proof. I hate reading something and thesis statement is hidden somewhere in the proof. BLEH! that is why i hate reading fictional stuff.

I also have problems with reading technical material,
I long the days I readed fairy tales when I was a kid, I really
liked reading then. I now like to read magazines, internet
forums and websites tough ;) .

tikana

Michael said:
It's my fault for not explaining myself. What I meant is that astronomy
is not as strict as newtonian mechanics or chemistry. It's more open
to prediction, to wonder and therefore more mercurial. However I agree
with you that it is a science.

absolutely.. things on the ground take anywhere from 1 second to millions of years and there is a hard evidence.. you cant treat astronomy as every oother science just because in space nothing happens overnight. we dont wonder about space. We wonder what happened before in other galaxies.

Tik