How do you know if a planet is afflicted?

johnstevens

I believe my Saturn is afflicted?

Due to my reading my placement of Saturn in the fifth house in my birth chart.

The article said if Saturn is afflicted their will be unhappiness with relationships, and well I am thirty years old and I can't say I've never had a good happy relationship with a female in my entire life, so to me it's pretty obvious that my Saturn is afflicted.

Although in astrological terms, how exactly do you know, if a planet is afflicted?

Last edited:

waybread

An afflicted planet is normally involved in a "hard" aspect: a square, opposition, or a conjunction with a difficult planet. Squares and oppositions involving Jupiter and Venus usually aren't so bad, because these planets are normally beneficial.

How is your Saturn aspected? Then look and see what else is going on in your chart. You might be blaming Saturn for something related to another planet.

johnstevens

An afflicted planet is normally involved in a "hard" aspect: a square, opposition, or a conjunction with a difficult planet. Squares and oppositions involving Jupiter and Venus usually aren't so bad, because these planets are normally beneficial.

How is your Saturn aspected? Then look and see what else is going on in your chart. You might be blaming Saturn for something related to another planet.

I see how can you tell if houses are afflicted? Like I said I truly believe my fifth house in Saturn has had a significant impact in my life and is truly the astrological reason on why I am currently unhappy and in the situation in which I am in.

johnstevens

How can you tell when a house is afflicted?

I was reading something on an astrology website about my Saturn in the fifth house, and it said something that if your Saturn as afflicted that you will be unhappy in your relationships.

I am a 30 year old male and I've never had a good relationship with a female in my entire life or have I ever been happy in a relationship with a female my whole life/ relationships bringing me unhappiness or unhappiness with relationships.

Now to me it's pretty obvious that that my Saturn in my fifth house is afflicted, although in astrological terms how exactly would I know if a house is afflicted?

I really have no idea? The article was on Saturn and the fifth house and like I said above the article said if your Saturn was afflicted, your relationships will bring you unhappiness.

Could anyone answer this question for me and give me some insight, if you could?

waybread

JS, I don't know what you are reading, but it does not seem accurate.

Planets may be afflicted, but not houses. The 5th house is the house of one's children (if any) and recreation/amusements.

How is your Saturn aspected? If not too badly, your issues may lie elsewhere in your chart.

For example, do you have any planets in your 7th house? What is the ruler of your 7th house, and how is it situated? For a heterosexual male, we would also look at Mars and Venus.

Ages ago, some astrologers added to the category of amusements stuff like sex-for-fun, and light-hearted romantic encounters that weren't going anywhere. (In traditional astrology, Venus joys in the 5th house, but most modern astrologers don't use the planetary joys.) From this, the 5th house developed an unjustified reputation as the house of committed romantic relationships. A committed relationship belongs to the 7th house, not the 5th.

Last edited:

johnstevens

JS, I don't know what you are reading, but it does not seem accurate.

Planets may be afflicted, but not houses. The 5th house is the house of one's children (if any) and recreation/amusements.

How is your Saturn aspected? If not too badly, your issues may lie elsewhere in your chart.

For example, do you have any planets in your 7th house? What is the ruler of your 7th house, and how is it situated? For a heterosexual male, we would also look at Mars and Venus.

Ages ago, some astrologers added to the category of amusements stuff like sex-for-fun, and light-hearted romantic encounters that weren't going anywhere. (In traditional astrology, Venus joys in the 5th house, but most modern astrologers don't use the planetary joys.) From this, the 5th house developed an unjustified reputation as the house of committed romantic relationships. A committed relationship belongs to the 7th house, not the 5th.

So you are saying houses can not be afflicted? I do not have any planets in the seventh house.

IleneK

Premium Member
There may be a very narrow traditional definition of affliction, but a good indicator of affliction would be:

A planet may be afflicted
by the sign it is in [that is, if they are in detriment or fall by sign] or

by hard aspect, conjunction, square, opposition to another planet or

by contact with a malefic planet, Saturn, Mars, the South Node [also Uranus and Pluto, if you practice modern astrology].
A house may be afflicted
if the ruler of that house is afflicted as per above,

or if an afflicted planet is located in that house.​

Last edited:

StillOne

It is retrograde in your chart but is located in it's domicile and has positive aspects to it. So it is only slightly challenged due to it's retrograde nature.

The article said if Saturn is afflicted their will be unhappiness with relationships, and well I am thirty years old and I can't say I've never had a good happy relationship with a female in my entire life, so to me it's pretty obvious that my Saturn is afflicted.

Although in astrological terms, how exactly do you know, if a planet is afflicted?

There are other aspects of your chart that most likely have greater impact than your Saturn. Take, for example, your Moon in opposition to Mars can have a huge impact on personal/intimate relationships (pending your birth time is accurate). Although slightly on the wider side, Venus in opposition to Pluto is also a challenging aspect to consider in your chart.

Best wishes

JUPITERASC

Due to my reading my placement of Saturn

in the fifth house in my birth chart.
The article said if Saturn is afflicted their will be

unhappiness with relationships, and well I am thirty years old

and I can't say I've never had a good happy relationship with a female
in my entire life, so to me it's pretty obvious that my Saturn is afflicted.
Although in astrological terms
how exactly do you know, if a planet is afflicted?
Afflicting = causing damage to a house or planet.
If one of the malefics is in bad aspect to another planet,
the latter is afflicted by it.

Mars
Saturn
or
the South Node
can afflict houses by their presence
particularly if they are poorly dignified and involved in difficult aspects. :smile:

Planets that are usually considered benefics can also afflict
IF
they are in a damaged state
OR
act as rulers of the houses that are traditionally considered unfortunate
i.e.
4th, 6th, 8th and 12th houses.
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/afflicting.html

waybread

I was born April 25th 1989 at 1 pm in Chicago, IL.

It is a courtesy on this forum to post your own chart. The most legible free charts are at Astrodienst, www.astro.com . If you are working from a computer, save the chart to your computer. Then you can upload it as a clickable thumbnail by following the prompts at the bottom of your next message. From a cell phone, use an image storage service like imgur.com and then post the link.

waybread

So you are saying houses can not be afflicted? I do not have any planets in the seventh house.

Did you look at the condition of the planet ruling the sign on the cusp of your 7th house? It's called the house cusp ruler or lord. This is an important way to get information on untenanted houses.

Traditionally some houses are better than others, with the 6th, 8th, and 12th generally seen as unfortunate. Modern astrology does not rate houses as better or worse.

creativei

This is genarally broad question will have to answer in detail .

basic theory says that a house which is occupied by malefic loses its virtue .

as u know malefics are saturn , mars ,sun . rahu , ketu .

above is very very general one . but deep analysis will alter the rule .

not all ,malefic are bad , there is a term called yog karagaka , for each asc yog karak is different . for eg if you take cancer asc mars is owner of 5 and 10 . though he is malefic by virtue of owning kendra and trikona he becomes benefic . . he does good only .

for sagg asc mars owns 5th house so he is does good .

malefic planet owning kendra trikona houses does good . but they should not own evil houses at the same time . eg 9&8th , 1&6th , 5&12 etc .

for you saturn in 5th is good for spiritual , disciplined structured life . sober , serious person , responsible dutiful . for you there is no room for fun and amusement . even in relationship you are serious . lack jolly mindset . thats only reason relationship suffers .

if jupiter aspected saturn then things would have changed . jupiter would have reduced the ill effects . then also base effects are present . jupiter aspects ,makes saturn optimistic , some what jovial , generous , philosophical . over giving nature . charitable mind .

nak constellation also plays major role . planedts palced in enemy , malefic nak wil cause damage more . eg 7th lord in ketu nak (aswini ,maga , moola ) spoils married life , first of all there is a big question is on whether person marries or not , 90% of these people prefers lonely life than being in committed relationship , they cant hold that lenghty band . its hard for them , breakup and hook ups happens here often . for them marriage is some thing like hell .

any lords placed 6, 8 12 th lord nakshatra problem . be prepared to make you strong to face those challenges .

3.10, 11 th houses are upachaya meaning things improves with time any kendra trikona lords placed in these houses or be in their nak constellations will improve as age progressed . be patient.

as dictum goes saturn spoils the house where he sees and jupiter aspected house floruishes its very true .

fro you saturn in 5th , from 5th it aspects 7th house of marg and patnership . hard to digest but its true , married life is not cake walk for these persons. though they may good by nature , their spouse has lots of negativity to pour upon the native , due to their negative approach , this people too will made to act in that way . so end result is either break up or cold war . partner has low qualities and comes from poor background .

from 5th aspects 11th house of friends and elder siblings . person has many bad friends who cheats him , hate him, will do all under ground job to put native down . person gets cheated in money matters by friends , elder brother either not present or will cold relationship with them ... person either cheats elder bro or gets cheated by them .

lastly aspects 2nd house of wealth family and speech . one of the foremost reasons for poverty along with 11th house aspect , second house aspect spolis both incoming and stored wealth . besides that person spoils his life by his own speech , if he speaks one thing people will assume different meaning thereby it causes verbal war . so be careful with speech . family life suffers with lack of peace , no matter how much hard you try something pulls your legs off , whole life spent in search of money and domestic peace . chances of having bad habits . person cant his meal peacefully after long hours of working . uncaring unloving nagging spouse makes native sad . so he spends most of his day in out only . for him home is wild animals den . afraid to come to home ...

Eric traveller

This is a very good question, because I've heard some would say that any aspect from Jupiter is a positive aspect. Is that true? I had the same question, would be interested if anyone had an answer.

I have a Jupiter in the 7th house of Pisces. It's the bucket handle... What I mean is, it's squares just about everything in my chart. Now, how would this play out again? It squares Uranus on the IC...opposes the ascendant, and it squares a few other planets. Does that mean that my Jupiter is negatively aspected, or does it negatively aspect something else. What would that mean in a birth chart? And how would that play out... Thanks and looking for the tropical astrology definition, although I would be willing to hear The Vedic interpretation.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

This is a very good question, because
I've heard some would say that any aspect from Jupiter is a positive aspect.

Is that true?

I had the same question, would be interested
if anyone had an answer.
Planets that are usually considered benefics can also afflict :smile:
IF
OR
i.e.

Eric traveller

Planets that are usually considered benefics can also afflict :smile:
IF
OR
i.e.

That would make sense because, for me Jupiter sits in Pisces, and, the second biggest Square I have is with Uranus on the IC (in the 4th), that's ruled by Sagittarius- which is of course ruled by Jupiter.
Thanks... that's beginning to make some more sense. The other squares don't seem to manifest as much, at all negatively. But I rREALLY feel this one.

What can I do about it??

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

That would make sense because Jupiter sits in Pisces, and the second biggest Square I have is with Uranus on my IC (in the 4th) that's ruled by Sagittarius- which is ruled again by Jupiter.
Thanks... that's beginning to make sense. The other squares don't seem to manifest as much, at all negatively. But I rREALLY feel this one.

What can I do about it?
in order to delineate, a chart to view is useful :smile:
otherwise it's all generalisation
which is notoriously fun - but siriusly unreliable

Eric traveller

Uhhh, I can't do it on mobile. Is there some way to have a mobile format where it displays the insert picture, Advanced options?
All that I have is just a basic text and submit

JUPITERASC

Uhhh, I can't do it on mobile. Is there some way to have a mobile format where it displays the insert picture, Advanced options?
All that I have is just a basic text and submit
these are instructions
HOW TO ATTACH A CHART
TO YOUR POST ON THE FORUM

https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/traditional-astrology

MOBILE
1) Once you generate the chart image using your favourite website, copy the image address
2) Upload the image to Imgur using the following URL:

https://imgur.com/upload
3) Once the chart is uploaded to Imgur, click on 'Copy' or 'Embed Post'
4) Paste the Imgur image location to forum post

if still got a problem posting chart, then message pwadm :smile: