Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Ukpoohbear

Interested in animal communication? There is a 3 day summit happening in about 9 hours and you can get free streaming to the talks. You need to sign up at www.animalwisdomworldsummit.com.

Unfortunately it’s live streaming so you’ll need to catch it on your time zone (unless you want to pay then you can watch them anytime). There’s a list of the times in the website though.

Should be interesting!

Dirius

Yes I agree he’s no longer what’s needed. It is quite funny the stuff he says and my sense of humour allows me to laugh at the trolling side of Trump, but we can’t have leaders like him anymore, it’s like giving a green ticket to smaller economic countries (like Brazil) to do the same.

(BTW I think earlier when I said ‘I don’t want to get into politics with you’ it came across stern but I actually should have said ‘not that I’m trying to start a debate about politics but...’ that was more the tone in my head at the time).

So Brazil does not have a right to manage their own territory?

"Giving a green ticket", essentially saying south american countries require permission of the great european powers to develop their own economy, or face some form of retribution? Europe destroyed its own forests over their 200 year expansion period, and never bothered to to rebuild them. But Brazil can't do the same. Why?

Last edited:

david starling

"Giving a green ticket", essentially saying south american countries require permission of the great european powers to develop their own economy, or face some form of retribution? Europe destroyed its own forests over their 200 year expansion period, and never bothered to to rebuild them. But Brazil can't do the same. Why?

If it's about money for the Brazilian economy, Brazil should use its possession of the Amazon Rainforest to extort money: Pay us to maintain the Rainforest or we'll continue destroying it.
20% of the Earth's oxygen supply depends on it, so it's an effective threat.

Last edited:

Ukpoohbear

It’s not about requiring permission but giving a green ticket was about being environmentally friendly in the West, or setting a good example. It’s not about ownership either but moderating all countries who go off into extremism. We interfered in WW1&2 but was that about ownership too?

While I understand the importance of debating sedantics, the call to save animals from humans requires action. We can all stop consuming meat and boycotting products containing palm oil for one.

Dirius

It’s not about requiring permission but giving a green ticket was about being environmentally friendly in the West, or setting a good example. It’s not about ownership either but moderating all countries who go off into extremism. We interfered in WW1&2 but was that about ownership too?

So then countries like Brazil have no right to exploit their own resources? and they need to be "moderated" by other countries? Seems a bit authoritarian to me.

It is very easy to call for environmental awareness when you are living in an industrialized country, in essence, a country who has already exploited its natural resources to the last one and cared little for the environment while doing so. Brazil is a developing nation who is trying to escape poverty, but they can't do the same as your country did? Why?

You are condeming the people of Brazil to poverty in the name of the environment, while you live in a society that enjoys every perk of having exploited the environment.

While I understand the importance of debating sedantics, the call to save animals from humans requires action. We can all stop consuming meat and boycotting products containing palm oil for one.

Actually veganism wouldn't help because you would still require large amounts of land to produce enough quantity of vegetables to feed the entire world. It is kind of the same situation, whether it is meat or vegetables. Brazil is a growing country going through the stage of expansionism, so what is happening is rather unavoidable.

Last edited:

Dirius

If it's about money for the Brazilian economy, Brazil should use its possession of the Amazon Rainforest to extort money: Pay us to maintain the Rainforest or we'll continue destroying it.
20% of the Earth's oxygen supply depends on it, so it's an effective threat.

Ok so, in your view they should extort other people for money.

This is the natural consequence of expansion and a rising population, throwing money at them is a short-term solution which wouldn't work. Specially because the fires are not caused by the goverment, but rather the small farmers who are trying to increase their plots of land.

david starling

Ok so, in your view they should extort other people for money.

This is the natural consequence of expansion and a rising population, throwing money at them is a short-term solution which wouldn't work. Specially because the fires are not caused by the goverment, but rather the small farmers who are trying to increase their plots of land.

Presumably, the money would come with a proviso attached: Pay the small farmers NOT to destroy the Rainforest.
We have programs in the U.S. paying farmers not to plant certain crops, and those are long-term programs.

Dirius, what's your solution? Are you against all zoning regulations, of any kind?

Dirius

Presumably, the money would come with a proviso attached: Pay the small farmers NOT to destroy the Rainforest.
We have programs in the U.S. paying farmers not to plant certain crops, and those are long-term programs.

Dirius, what's your solution? Are you against all zoning regulations, of any kind?

The expansion over the Amazon has existed despite regulations and controls. So money wouldn't stop the fires at all, and the cost of programs would only increases as time goes by and the land becomes more valuable. You also need to account that levels of goverment corruption (accepting bribes, misshandling funds, etc.) is way higher in South America than in other regions, thus goverment programs in this region are rarely (if at all) effective.

There aren't many real solutions. Brazil will eventually destroy their rainforest, as other countries did to their own forests in the past. No one can really point fingers at them for doing what everyone else has done. The only argument I see of value is about the native brazilians who live in the rainforest, their right to self-determination whose habitat is being destroyed. But even so, it will not have much impact.

If your concern is about the global impact on the environment, the only thing you can do is start rebuilding your own forests, the ones you teared down in Europe and the U.S. hundreds of years ago, to compensate the loss of the Amazon.

david starling

The Amazon Rainforest is said to be unique, relative to the Earth's atmosphere. I don't think increasing forests (we have a lot of wilderness areas in the U.S.) would compensate for the loss of the Rainforest. Looks like the Termite People, as they've been described by the indigenous Rainforest tribes, will doom us all.

david starling

Hmmm....just saw several articles from different sources claiming it's some big corporations, teaming up with the Government, that's responsible for most of the damage; and, that they're hiding behind a "small farmers are doing it on their own" facade. Looks credible.

Dirius

Hmmm....just saw several articles from different sources claiming it's some big corporations, teaming up with the Government, that's responsible for most of the damage; and, that they're hiding behind a "small farmers are doing it on their own" facade. Looks credible.

There are also reports that the cause of the fires is due to the dry season on the Amazon, meaning they might not be caused by humans. If you think about it, there isn't actually any evidence, picture or footage of people starting the fires. And also not all of the images that are swarming the internet correspond to the 2019 fires, many of them are from other years.

To be honest, its easier to not trust any source.

Ukpoohbear

So then countries like Brazil have no right to exploit their own resources? and they need to be "moderated" by other countries? Seems a bit authoritarian to me.

It is very easy to call for environmental awareness when you are living in an industrialized country, in essence, a country who has already exploited its natural resources to the last one and cared little for the environment while doing so. Brazil is a developing nation who is trying to escape poverty, but they can't do the same as your country did? Why?

You are condeming the people of Brazil to poverty in the name of the environment, while you live in a society that enjoys every perk of having exploited the environment.

Well we weren’t as environmentally aware as we were back in yonder years but now we are fully aware of things like the OZone layer and CO2 emissions. Not to mention the undiscovered species and medicine that lie in the Amazon! I mean, half the medicines come from that forest don’t they?? It’s all because of the ‘supply and demand’ rule of capitalism that soy needs to be grown to feed the cows for meat. And it’s not just because of Brazil growing as a population, it’s us in the West that is causing the demand for this meat.

About the Brazilian people we are condemning, I’ve seen comments on The Guardian newspaper from Brazilian people and they don’t want the rainforest burning either and I doubt they will see any benefit from the profits! It’s not going to create more jobs either, it’s to grow soy to feed to the animals we require for meat.

Actually veganism wouldn't help because you would still require large amounts of land to produce enough quantity of vegetables to feed the entire world. It is kind of the same situation, whether it is meat or vegetables. Brazil is a growing country going through the stage of expansionism, so what is happening is rather unavoidable.

Where did you get this information from? The reason I ask is because it’s widely acknowledged due to scientific study, that world hunger would be eradicated if we used the wheat and soy used to feed cows to feed us instead. Meat is an expensive business and everyone knows that so I don’t know where you are getting the knowledge from that says otherwise.

Ukpoohbear

I think you only eat meat at the weekends don’t you Dirius? So that’s actually really good especially compared to the fad for high protein diets in the physical training industry. Do you try to boycott palm oil products? That would be the next thing you could do.

Ukpoohbear

But the notion that I may be authoritarian is actually true even though I don’t want to admit it. I would assassinate Bolsonaro and if his son came into power, I would assassinate him too until they get the message and leave the Amazon forest alone. I guess that makes me kind of like Putin.

Ukpoohbear

I noticed a lot of controversial/shady leaders have a Venus-Saturn conjunction or square. Donald Trump and his conjunction, Theresa May has it and she was just so out of touch. Richard Nixon had Venus Pisces 6th square Saturn in 4th, with Pluto in 10th (abuse of power due to a lack of trust or what!)

Last edited: