Considered in the House next door?

ekaelthas

Are this Sun and Mercury technically in the first house? Why or why not?

Thanks!:smile:

Attachments

• Chart.gif
    Chart.gif
    63.8 KB · Views: 41

chei star

Is your confusion because they are close to the line of your ascendant or just confused in general??

Actually I see what you mean. The thick line that is your Leo ascendant is the start of the first house. You can follow the houses round from that one so that you can be sure where one house begins and ends.

JUPITERASC

....You can do it two ways, with a tropical whole sign chart, or a sidereal whole sign chart.
Which is more accurate?
Neither is 'more accurate' than the other because Sidereal and Tropical are simply measuring different things :smile:

A brief visual explanation at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-DYgGFjI&feature=related

Is there an option in Astro.com to change the chart to Sidereal?
There is - on the "Extended Chart Selection Page"

chei star

Is there an option in Astro.com to change the chart to Sidereal?

You can experiment with options under extended chart selection. I would suggest getting to grips with the meanings of the signs/planets/houses/aspects and a basic knowledge of chart interpretation before you begin experimenting with different systems. That way you can make your own decision about which method you want to use.

JUPITERASC

You can experiment with options under extended chart selection. I would suggest getting to grips with the meanings of the signs/planets/houses/aspects and a basic knowledge of chart interpretation before you begin experimenting with different systems. That way you can make your own decision about which method you want to use.
fwiw IMO 'tis a good idea to be aware of the available alternatives from the beginning e.g. http://www.solunars.com/:smile:

chei star

fwiw IMO 'tis a good idea to be aware of the available alternatives from the beginning e.g. http://www.solunars.com/:smile:
Okay. Just thinking of the OP. It's easy for an experienced Astrologer to say that but if someone told me about all the different systems from the beginning I would probably have been majorly confused and perhaps put off learning Astrology at all. I said get to grips with the basic concepts first because they generally apply to all of the different systems (they still use houses, planets, aspects and signs).

wilsontc

Staff member
12th house, to ekaelthas

ekaelthas,

You asked:
Are this Sun and Mercury technically in the first house? Why or why not?

In the chart you have posted Sun and Mercury are definitely in the 12th house. If you used a different charting system, you could get a different result.

Astro-basically,

Tim

Moog

It is a lot for someone new to astrology to attempt to grapple with two zodiacs.

However, I think like JASC that people should be aware. And the OP did ask. It is not irrelevant to the thread to suggest considering a sidereal measurement.

I'm not sure when it would be a good idea to start comparing zodiacs. Some never will; content with whichever the prevailing culture, east or west, provides for them.

Last edited:

dr. farr

By all quadrant house formats (Placidus, Regiomontanus, Porphyry, Koch, etc) AND also by Equal House, Sun and Mercury are in the 12th house in the reference chart.

By whole sign house format, Sun and Mercury are in the 1st house. Only about 5 (maybe, by now, 9 or 10) % of Western astrologers, use whole sign house; I am one of them, because I believe it is the most accurate chart format. However, to repeat: the vast majority of Western astrologers use one of the quadrant house formats (or Equal House, which is largely followed in Vedic astrology; only the minority Jaimini school of Vedic astrology, continues to use whole sign houses, continuing what was the original house format system of ancient times)