Can we look at astrology from a scientific point of view?

Therese

Denouncing astrology as unscientific is a futile endeavour and an implausible contradiction for astrologers. Its main attraction is the promise that it contains entirely new and extremely important knowledge that might be gained from its study. People just need to be less arrogant and go more humble about it, because certain favourable views upon the subject may turn out to be false, and as it was stated before, there is no available mechanism or solid enough evidence (there are a lot more things that are to be tested though). In this way it has potential to outgrow its fringe theories.
Maybe I get you wrong, but from what I have read from you so far, it seems like you take a practice humankind has been involved in for millennia, and appoint yourself to a position to decide what to keep and what to discard, based on your preferred theoretical framework, which you call "scientific".

And then there are those of us who think that we, human beings, are not in the position to form a comprehensive theory about astrology (or the universe), that we don't have an all-embracing eye or an all-encompassing mind. And we are arrogant?

There are different ways of knowing. You do not need a PhD in plant biology to be a good gardener. And some biologists cannot keep a house plant alive for more than a month, no matter that they do everything by the book (an acquaintance of mine).

Also, most scientists I know do not equate "scientific" with "true" and/or "real". They consider that the scientific approach has its scope and its limits. Some of what is true and real can be known via scientific methods, others not. For example, I know for a fact that a team member at the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is a practicing Catholic (we went to the same university), and it doesn't cause him any problems.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Maybe I get you wrong, but from what I have read from you so far, it seems like you take a practice humankind has been involved in for millennia, and appoint yourself to a position to decide what to keep and what to discard, based on your preferred theoretical framework, which you call "scientific".

And then there are those of us who think that we, human beings, are not in the position to form a comprehensive theory about astrology (or the universe), that we don't have an all-embracing eye or an all-encompassing mind. And we are arrogant?

There are different ways of knowing. You do not need a PhD in plant biology to be a good gardener. And some biologists cannot keep a house plant alive for more than a month, no matter that they do everything by the book (an acquaintance of mine).

Also, most scientists I know do not equate "scientific" with "true" and/or "real". They consider that the scientific approach has its scope and its limits. Some of what is true and real can be known via scientific methods, others not. For example, I know for a fact that a team member at the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is a practicing Catholic (we went to the same university), and it doesn't cause him any problems.

I am not a scientist, an all-knowing person, religious or a philosopher. I am just stating my simple brutish honest opinion that astrology makes quantifiable statements that can easily be put to a scientific investigation, if one so obliges to. As a brute, I try to live by my own flawed sense of common sense.

Last edited:

Therese

The OP requests opinion on "astrology from a scientific point of view"
therfore
not unexpectedly
the responder offers their opinion

one may disagree with that opinion
however
everyone - including yourself

is entitled to a personal perspective
as to what comprises "scientific"

the fact that your opinion differs

from that of another member
does not nullify the opinion of that member

and then there are those of us who have an opposite opinion :smile:

Quite
however "scientific knowing" is the topic of this thread

there are tens of millions of "scientists"
all of whom frequently argue and oppose each others theories
no one has met with
nor debated with
all "scientists"

clearly you personally are NOT "on the team working on the Large Hadron Collider"
instead you are a psychologist
and psychology is not "a science"
https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...09d-science-does-it-really-matter/?redirect=1

furthermore
even if one went to the same university
as a practising Catholic who is working on the Large Hadron Collider
so did thousands of others

and
the practicing Catholic working on the Large Hadron Collider team
must earn a living
and
is paid for their services

1. I am not a psychologist.

2. My problem with petosiris' post was that he labels those who do not agree with him "arrogant". Why call people names when they disagree with you? Why the bashing? There can be a myriad of reasons why one person disagrees with another (different life experiences and different fields of interests etc integrated into a different perspective...).

3. I mentioned the practicing Catholic guy because nobody is punching him at work with Richard Dawkins quotes or the like.

petosiris

Banned
2. My problem with petosiris' post was that he labels those who do not agree with him "arrogant". Why call people names when they disagree with you? Why the bashing? There can be a myriad of reasons why one person disagrees with another (different life experiences and different fields of interests etc integrated into a different perspective...).

Actually, I didn't meant to refer to any person on this forum. I was thinking about a hypothetical scenario when one would declare that astrology is already proven/scientific or something like that. I think the mistake in most posts so far is one of logical inconsistency that may be coming of a good place due to humbleness.

petosiris

Banned
''Both Eysenck and Cattell subscribed to the prevailing positivist paradigm and to the nomothetic approach (e.g., Allport, 1937;Cattell, 1973; Eysenck, 1954; Piekkola, 2011). It is worth examining this predilection in some detail if only because committing one's re-search program to a particular paradigm inevitably alienates it from other paradigms. The twofold temptation may then arise to turn a blind eye to the limitations of the chosen paradigm and to attempt to disparage alternatives (cf. Eysenck, 1986). Yet, Eysenck's critique of non-positivist approaches such as psychoanalysis (Eysenck,1952), contrasted with his willingness to entertain other controversial topics, such as parapsychology (Eysenck, 1982) and astrology (Eysenck & Nias, 1982, 1987). Presumably, one of the reasons for Eysenck's dislike of psychodynamic psychology was that its tenets could not easily be put to the empirical test (see Kline,1972), whereas Eysenck considered that valid experiments could be carried out to test parapsychological and astrological prediction.'' - https://www.academia.edu/28671813/H...nd_B._Cattell_on_intelligence_and_personality

See also - https://www.amazon.com/Astrology-Superstition-H-J-Eysenck/dp/0851172148

Astrology is a nomothetic, not an idiographic enterprise. Therefore it is easy to view it either as a science or as a pseudoscience. I personally do not see the benefit of trying to make it something else, because then it is no longer astrology anymore.

CapAquaPis

Scientifically, the sun and moon cannot influence people's lives and personality on earth. I feel more anxious and stressed when the full moon is in Scorpio and Sagittarius, esp. near mother's and father's day since the moon in these signs and also in Aries and Taurus gives a lot of problems to anyone born under their signs. And anyone born on Dec. 21 (winter solstice), Feb. 15 (my birthdate), Mar. 30 (close to April Fools day) and Oct. 31 (halloween) has a pessimistic outlook on life than anyone born on Jun. 22 (summer solstice), Aug. 22 (my polar opposite), Sep. 30 (Michaelmas day) and Apr. 29 (halfway in the year from halloween).

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Scientifically, the sun and moon cannot influence people's lives
and personality on earth.
Scientifically
SUN definitely influences peoples lives on earth
for example
Without SUNS heat and light
the Earth would be a lifeless ball of ice-coated rock :smile:

also

Moon reflects light of Sun
and
Moon in tandem with Sun
influences ocean tides on earth
Gravitational Pull Influences Moisture in the Soil
Moon phase gardening is an idea as old as agriculture
popular in folklore and superstition

but there are scientific ideas to back it up.

The Earth is in a large gravitational field
influenced by both the sun and moon.
The tides are highest at the time of the new and the full moon
when sun and moon are lined up with earth.
Just as the moon pulls the tides in the oceans
it also pulls upon the subtle bodies of water
causing moisture to rise in the earth, which encourages growth.
The highest amount of moisture is in the soil at this time
and tests have proven
that seeds will absorb the most water
at the time of the full moon.
Planting by the phases of the moon
will keep in rhythm with the alternating gravitational pull.
Moon phase gardening considers four phases
or
quarters lasting about seven days each.
The first two quarters
are during the waxing or increasing light from the new moon
and
growing up to the full moon.
I feel more anxious and stressed when the full moon is in Scorpio and Sagittarius, esp. near mother's and father's day since the moon in these signs and also in Aries and Taurus gives a lot of problems to anyone born under their signs. And anyone born on Dec. 21 (winter solstice), Feb. 15 (my birthdate) and Oct. 31 (halloween) has a pessimistic outlook on life than anyone born on Jun. 22 (summer solstice), Aug. 22 (my polar opposite) and Apr. 29 (halfway in the year from halloween).

blacksun?

We can only understand it the other way around, so far.

Science is the practice of observing that things work certain ways.
Astrology, when practiced scientifically, that is with empirical and statistical methods, clearly works in certain ways. The question the scientist must ask is: why does this work?

greybeard

"A most unfailing experience of the excitement of sublunary natures by the conjunctions and aspects of the planets has instructed and compelled my unwilling belief." -- Johannes Kepler

Kepler was the "Imperial Mathematician" for Rudolph. A part of his function was to serve as royal astrologer. He had been practicing astrology since his school days.

His position gave access to the meticulous observations of Mars made by Tycho Brahe, his predecessor. From these observations he derived the 3 Laws of Planetary Orbits, which ignited the Scientific Revolution, and resulted in the abandonment and denigration of astrology, as with Pluto 4 centuries later. The abandonment does not affect the Truth of either Pluto or astrology.

Let's be clear.

Astrology is not a science. It is an interpretive art deeply rooted in science.

We take the Facts (science) of the surrounding heavens and in a creative act of the human mind convert these facts into symbols (a symbolic language...all languages are symbolic) which speak to human affairs. Astrology is a creation of the human mind.

Which is why modern science can never enter the world of astrology.

Last edited:

david starling

"A most unfailing experience of the excitement of sublunary natures by the conjunctions and aspects of the planets has instructed and compelled my unwilling belief." -- Johannes Kepler

Kepler was the "Imperial Mathematician" for Rudolph. A part of his function was to serve as royal astrologer. He had been practicing astrology since his school days.

His position gave access to the meticulous observations of Mars made by Tycho Brahe, his predecessor. From these observations he derived the 3 Laws of Planetary Orbits, which ignited the Scientific Revolution, and resulted in the abandonment and denigration of astrology, as with Pluto 4 centuries later. The abandonment does not affect the Truth of either Pluto or astrology.

Let's be clear.

Astrology is not a science. It is an interpretive art deeply rooted in science.

We take the Facts (science) of the surrounding heavens and in a creative act of the human mind convert these facts into symbols (a symbolic language...all languages are symbolic) which speak to human affairs. Astrology is a creation of the human mind.

Which is why modern science can never enter the world of astrology.

Astrology is a Philosophy.

greybeard

Statistics are built of anecdotes. Lives are built of anecdotes, not statistics. Yet "anecdotal evidence" is rejected out of hand by the "scientist".

Science is neither equipped nor prepared to investigate things of Mystery. And astrology is one of those; if not, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Many historians scoff and ridicule the Aztec as "superstitious savages" because they held a long-standing prophecy that light-skinned bearded men would come out of the eastern sea and destroy the empire.

Astrology provides the basis for a philosophy, but is not of itself a philosophy. The Hindu astrologer holds a very different view of the world (philosophy) than his western counterpart.

Last edited:

blacksun?

Astrology is beyond philosophy and science, it is "magic" - the music of the spheres, the language of "God".

Astrologers communicate with the highest possible authority of this universe, for better or worse - astrologers are the most sought-after elements in political strategy, the best kept secrets at the highest echelons, wars are started and ended on account of astrological predictions.

Astrology is power.
But, as that goes, it is highly tricky, and it doesn't give itself for free.
Whoever commits to astrology commits to it for good.

Cap

The title pretty much explains itself. I am no skeptic, I'm just wondering if there is any way for us to look at astrology and explain it scientifically. Just why does astrology work, and how can it influence our lives, individually and collectively? Also are there any books on this particular topic that I can read on?

Any attempt to explain workings of astrology in terms of the causal planetary influences on people and events, whether it is light, gravity or whatnot is futile and seriously outdated.

We don't live in an objective reality. Planets, stars, light, gravity, Earth itself have no objective existence independent of the observer. They just appear to exist when observed. These are hard scientific facts.

Our reality is emergent, information is its basic building block, consciousness is fundamental. When an astrologer delineates a chart, this is just consciousness interacting with itself, consciousness transferring information to itself.

So, to answer your question, IMO science will be able to explain astrology one day. But for this to happen, there will have to be a major shift within a scientific community, away from the framework of materialism. We are already witnessing very slow but steady changes. Physics and metaphysics are slowly merging. What was considered paranormal, mystical, magical and supernatural is becoming more and more normal, explainable, ordinary and natural.

david starling

Statistics are built of anecdotes. Lives are built of anecdotes, not statistics. Yet "anecdotal evidence" is rejected out of hand by the "scientist".

Science is neither equipped nor prepared to investigate things of Mystery. And astrology is one of those; if not, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Many historians scoff and ridicule the Aztec as "superstitious savages" because they held a long-standing prophecy that light-skinned bearded men would come out of the eastern sea and destroy the empire.

Astrology provides the basis for a philosophy, but is not of itself a philosophy. The Hindu astrologer holds a very different view of the world (philosophy) than his western counterpart.

Same basic premise: Astrology describes and predicts how we are and how we fare relative to the celestial configurations.

Opal

Premium Member
Astrology is based on the science of the battery operated cosmos. positive and negatives. The cosmos and everything in it rely on the positive and negative of every entity in it. Perpetual motion. At its finest. Tick. Tick. Tick.

david starling

Astrology is based on the science of the battery operated cosmos. positive and negatives. The cosmos and everything in it rely on the positive and negative of every entity in it. Perpetual motion. At its finest. Tick. Tick. Tick.

Magnetic Field Matrix operates on both positive and negative energy. And we each have our own, self-generated magnetic field.
But "Tick. Tick. Tick." will change to a steady hum with the onset of the Aquarian Age. Which hasn't yet occurred.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Magnetic Field Matrix operates on both positive and negative energy.
And we each have our own, self-generated magnetic field.
But "Tick. Tick. Tick."
will change to a steady hum with the onset of the Aquarian Age.
Which hasn't yet occurred.

ASTROLOGY AS SCIENCE discussion July 2013 - six years ago :smile:
at https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65450
There are Sumerian texts from 7,000 years ago (circa 5,000 BCE) that talk about Planets ensnaring things in their "nets" and casting light and casting rays.

What does that mean? It means they were infinitely more intelligent than we are....this is the 21st Century, you have public education systems in nearly every State on Earth, and yet the vast majority of people don't even know that the formula for the Force of Gravity is...

F(g) = M1 * M2 / d^2

How would you explain Gravity to a child that is 4 years old?

"You know how you dip your net into the water to catch goldfish or tadpoles?"

"Yeah."

"Well, Gravity is just like your net, only you can't see Gravity."

It isn't until the late 1950s that our so-called "advanced civilization" figures out there really is a "net" and they call that "net" a "Gravity-well."

And so for science fiction shows for the next 20 years or so -- like the Original Star Trek -- you hear them saying things like: "Captain, we're going to get caught in the Planet's Gravity-well."

If you get stuck in Earth's Gravity-well, you need to be moving at a speed of 17,500 Miles Per Hour to escape the net...and no, I don't know what that is in Kilometers Per Hour (and don't care).

In the Arabic, Farsi, and Latin texts, you see the phrase "[Saturn]...hurling its rays at...."

That's real....it really happens....and that is science.

In reality, the Sun is the only celestial body that actually casts light; the Moon and Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn reflect light...

....that's why we can see them.

Light is electromagnetic radiation.

In the middle of the electromagnetic radiation band are the colors....to the right of the blues, you have violet, then ultra-violet (UV), then X-Rays, then Gamma Rays.

To the left of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum, you have your yellows, oranges, reds and then infrared (IR), microwaves, radar, VHF/UHF, short wave radio, AM and FM radio bands.

Your eyes have evolved to allow you to see select frequencies in the electromagnetic radiation spectrum which are the colors.

An object absorbs frequencies of electromagnetic radiation, but reflects certain frequencies back at you, and that is what you are seeing....the reflected frequencies -- the color --- the specific wavelengths in the electromagnetic radiation band.

Asteroids do not reflect light, therefore, logically, rationally, scientifically, asteroids have no impact or affect on you. Likewise, the Outer Planets -- Uranus, Neptune and Pluto do not reflect light, and they have no affect on you individually and there is no possible way using math or science to justify that they do.

In addition to reflecting light, the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn also hurl rays (although the Sun really does cast Ultra-Violet Rays, X-Rays and Gamma Rays).

Space is not "empty." Space is filled with particles -- electromagnetic radiation -- from the Sun.

As the Planets move through Space, their mass, their orbital velocity (speed) and their exact chemical/elemental make-up creates something called the magnetosphere.

The magnetosphere reflects (some but not all) electromagnetic radiation away from it.

The magnetosphere on each of the Planets is "tuned" to attenuate certain frequencies in the electromagnetic radiation spectrum. The Earth's magnetosphere does a great job of screening out Gamma rays, a decent job of screening out X-Rays, a mediocre job of screening out UV rays and then a really bad job of screening out everything from the colors through microwave, radar and the radio bands.

But, then....we already knew that, didn't we?

If the Earth's magnetosphere filtered out electromagnet frequencies in the color band, then we wouldn't see anything outside of Earth, and if it screened out frequencies in the radio band, we would not be able to communicate with are satellites and probes.

Anyway, the magnetospheres of the Planets reflect certain frequencies at certain rates to Earth....

...and that is scientific fact, not speculation.

Since the advent of radio in the early 20th Century, it has been known that radio are affected by other forms of electromagnetic radiation. The primary cause is ionized particles in the Earth's stratosphere and mesosphere. The region in the stratosphere and mesosphere that is heavily ionized is known as the "ionosphere."

These ionized particles severely degrade the performance of microwave, radar, VHF, UHF, Short Wave and AM radio signals, and diminish the performance of FM radio signals

This degrading of performance caused a lot of angst in the US Army, Air Force and Navy, and also with companies involved in radio communications, like Motorola.

It was noted that certain alignments of Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn could either neutralize the effects of the ionosphere, or amplify the effects. Scientific studies, published in peer-reviewed scientific and engineering journals showed that Planets in sextile marginally improve radio performance; in trine they strongly improve performance; in square they strongly hamper performance, and in opposition they severely impede performance; and that Planets in conjunction could harm or help.

What is the Doctrine of Aspects in Traditional Astrology?

Sextiles indicate weak friendship
Trines show strong friendship
Squares show enmity
Oppositions conflict
Conjunctions can be helpful or harmful

Well, there you go....scientific proof that people knew more about the world around them 7,000 years ago than they do now.

Anyway, asteroids do not have sufficient mass and/or speed to generate magnetopheres, which is the other reason we ignore them, and while Uranus and Pluto generate magnetospheres (no verification yet on whether Pluto does), they are nothing like the size of magnetospheres of Jupiter and Saturn, and their vast distance from Earth precludes the possibility that the Outer Planets can affect individuals...

...F(g) = M1 * M2 / d^2

Good luck with that.

As far as the mathematical side of Astrology,

archeaological excavations in Jericho show

it was inhabited

and

functioned as trading.military outpost
9,000 years ago circa 7,000 BCE.

A fresco on a wall in one of the buildings depicts a crab --- Cancer.

Well, no kidding, since 9,000 years ago was the Age of Cancer.

What a shocker

We know the Zodiac existed then.

The Sumerians claim that 12,000 years ago circa 10,000 BCE during the Age of Leo
there was a cataclysmic event on Earth, and that

after this event, the pyramids at Gizeh were erected, and the sphinx
--- a man's head on the body of a lion --- commemorated the event.

Another shocker.

In caves in France and Spain, drawings depicting a bow and arrow were originally believed to be a symbol for hunting, but now some archaeologists and anthropologists are claiming that the bow and arrow are actually the symbol for Sagittarius, and that people occupied the caves during the Age of Sagittarius some 22,000 years ago circa 20,000 BCE, which would indicate the Zodiac existed even then.

Wow, the common sense is shocking.

And then Sumerian and Akkadian texts claim the Zodiac was put together during the Age of Pisces.

Because of the effects of precession, the Zodiac moves backwards... Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, Sagittarius, until you get to 29°59' of Aries, and then eventually 15° of Aries and then eventually, um, Zero Point Aries.

Gosh, what a shocker.

So the Zodiac is ancient and more than that, it incorporates the Base 60 (Sexigismal) Number System instead of the Base 10 (Decimal) Number System.

Everything I have studied about Astrology going back to Mesopotamia, suggests one of two possible conclusions:

1] Astrology evolved from Numerology as a divination system; or

2] Numerology evolved from Astrology as a Poor Man's version of divination.

I lean very heavily toward the latter. Does that mean I "believe in" Numerology?

No. I categorically reject it in is entirety.

Why? I just explained why. It is 100% corrupted.

Numerology was founded on the Base 60 Number System, so you cannot use it with the Base 10 Number System. If you could find and translate ancient texts about Numerology, and if you could figure out the Base 60 Number System, and if you could then correctly employ the Base 60 Systems with the doctrines, I think you might be onto something. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Anyway, there are so-called "sacred" numbers like 1, 12, 60, 72, 120, 360, 3,600 and 432,000 that are preserved in one way or another in many different schemes, systems and relationships.

Traditional Astrology (but not Modern Astrology) preserves a lot of those sacred numbers. There's an almost fanatical obsession with the number 120.

The number 120 is prominent in Hebrew texts, and 120 * 3600 = 432,000.

According to Norse (and other north/central European) traditions, there are 800 doors in Valhalla, and on Judgment Day, 540 warriors will exit each of the 800 doors...

....540 * 800 = 432,000

If we go to India, the yugas are based on multiples of 432,000.

Shocker.

Anyway, much of the knowledge about Astrology, including the true mathematical basis and relationships were lost over time.

A group of people –- the Gutians -– came from where ever it was they came from and destroyed the people Kushites (who lived west of the Zagros Mountains) and then proceeded to dismantle Sumer & Akkad circa 2100 BCE.

Then there was about 100 years of “barracks emperors” (sort of like in Rome after Marcus Aurelius died) and then the Akkadians rose up and routed the Gutians.

Then circa 2000 BCE, there was the incident at Sodom, Gomorrah and the cities of the plains, which scientists and archaeologists are now suggesting an asteroid or comet exploded over the region in the same manner as Tunguska causing its destruction.

For whatever strange, fascinating, bizarre reason, that incident caused the total collapse of the Sumerian Civilization, and they fled, never to be seen again (supposedly), and then the Amorites --- erroneously called Babylonians --- over-ran the Akkadian Civilization and that was the end of that.

To make matters worse, circa 1900 BCE, the Celts, a group of Slavs and another unknown group over-ran and totally wiped out the Hittite Kingdom and Civilization.

Just as Rome was the cultural and scientific learning center of the world, and the light went out when it was destroyed and we entered the Dark Ages, the same thing happened here.

Sumer & Akkad were the cultural and scientific learning centers of the ancient world, and when the light went out, we entered the Dark Ages.

Information flowed from Sumer & Akkad to Egypt, and then through the Hittite Kingdom to the Eastern Greeks in Phrygia and Lydia, and then to the Western Greeks on the mainland. The destruction of the Hittite Kingdom cut off the flow information out of Mesopotamia, and the destruction of Sumer & Akkad cut off the flow of all information.

From that point forward, you have two separate distinct civilizations rise, the Greeks and the Egyptians (and further east of the Zagros Mountains the Persians and Medes).

And then the Greeks conquer the Egyptians and Persians, and then the Romans conquer all of them, and then the Turks conquer all of them, and the next thing you know, it’s Spring-time in Germany for Hitler.

If people cannot figure out an organic alcohol chain or botch it up its formation, that does not mean that organic chemistry is fatally flawed….it just means people don’t get it.

Likewise, there is nothing wrong with Astrology, but there are people who don’t get it, people who muck it up intentionally, and then the artful practitioners are still trying to get to the bottom of many of the doctrines, and that’s hampered by not having access to texts or being able to locate/recover ancient texts.

So, there you go.

Cap

Oops, my calculation was slightly off :whistling:

Desk lamp won't do it, but sitting behind an average desk or sleeping in a bed certainly beats the gravitational influence of Mars. Not to mention the house you live in...

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member
Magnetic Field Matrix operates on both positive and negative energy. And we each have our own, self-generated magnetic field.
But "Tick. Tick. Tick." will change to a steady hum with the onset of the Aquarian Age. Which hasn't yet occurred.

The magnetic field is of course a part of it

The beat won't change.....but the drummer has......:whistling: