Is Astrology a Religion?

melleoscorp

Account Closed
Interesting links between Astrology and Religion also include :smile:

Sirius, brightest star next to the sun = Star of Bethlehem.
The stars of Orion the hunter = the Son of Man.
Orions three stars that form its narrow waistline = Wise Men from the East
because they align with Sirius, the star of Bethlehem on December 25.
Virgo = Virgin Mary
and
Bootes = Joseph.
John the Baptist = Aquarius the Water Bearer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a36_CwzA0bk

didn't know Joseph = Bootes
also Archangel Michael = Aldebaran
Archangel Raphael = Formalhaut
Thoth = Mercury
Isn't Ra the Sun god?

waybread

Excellent answer. Establishment science has finalized the divorce of astronomy from astrology, and scientific method has been used to "prove" that astrology "doesn't work". My impression is that the scientific community got the results it wanted from those tests, and the astrologers involved weren't careful enough. Aside from the possibility the tests were rigged, there's another factor to consider: Social and traditionalistic pressure cause a majority of people to go against their own chart; and it takes either a staunch Individualist or a supportive situation for a test subject to match what an astrologer would say about chosen profession, for example. Anyhow, scientists and astrologers have agreed to disagree, and that's that.
I had missed that connection between astrology and the practice of medicine. In the 16th Century, astrologers (men) could dispense medical advice while the real healers, (mostly women herbalists, like Kepler's mother) were targets of religious persecution.

David, I think it's a stretch to argue that " 'scientific method has been used to "prove" that astrology "doesn't work"." I have access to a university library data base that includes many research journal articles, and I have done several astrology searches. There have been controlled studies of astrology's truth claims, but more would need to be done, especially since the researchers really didn't understand astrology, so far as I can see. See also http://www.astrology-and-science.com/hpage.htm , the research of the late German professor Suitbert Ertel, and of Geoffrey Dean.

My impression of the academic studies I read is not that they were "rigged," for which you have no evidence, but rather, that they were poorly designed by people who didn't understand much astrology. There are not a lot of these studies, incidentally. An advantage of academic articles, unlike astrologers summarizing their private client files, is that the authors need to describe their methodologies in some detail, so you can see how they did their research.

David, I strongly encourage you to read more history of astrology. Try Jim Tester's history, or Nicholas Campion's two-volume set on the history of astrology. Campion is both a highly qualified British astrologer and a cracker-jack scholar. But he's a historian/cultural studies professor, not a scientist. If you know any medical astrology, you can see why in the past, it was an adjunct to medicine.

But please don't just make up this stuff about science or the history of astrology. There is evidence out there. There is a way that the past actually happened.

david starling

Repeated failures by astrologers to meet the requirements of the Scientific Method in regard to the challenges of those flawed tests have undoubtedly convinced most scientists that Astrology has been successfully debunked. I don't think I said anything out of line with the history of Astrology, unless you're certain that astrologers themselves didn't dispense medical advice, but only consulted with physicians. You didn't comment on my theory that a blind reading won't work on any charts other than those of individualists who actually follow the impulses astrology is tracking and describing. I said there was "a possibility" the tests were rigged, not that they actually were; it may have been subtle and even unconscious given the deep seated prejudice against astrology. When you approach it with an open mind, it's so obvious that astrology works. So, the Scientific Method has failed the test, not Astrology. Back to the drawing board for the test designs! When aerodynamic science was in its infancy and couldn't explain why bees could fly--they had to expand the science to fit the facts. People, scientists included, can find ways to avoid seeing what they don't want to see; it's not intentional, and it happens to the best of us. Understanding how and why astrology works should be the goal, not pretending as though it has to prove its own existence as a real phenomenon. Understanding how bees fly led to the development of the helicopter. No telling what understanding how astrology works would advance Science itself.

Last edited:

Inline

..... Understanding how bees fly led to the development of the helicopter. No telling what understanding how astrology works would advance Science itself.

Geraldine Davis, a horary astrologer with the First Temple and College of Astrology described astrology as the 'divine science'.

Quote: " Astrology or cosmic law is not in the least concerned with people who do not believe it....the work of the Creator must have been founded on a divine plan...as our history is cyclic and can be equally traced in the development of religion."

david starling

A Temple of Astrology? I'll have to check that out! Just did--one of them actually worships the Sun in an astrological sort of way.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

A Temple of Astrology? I'll have to check that out!

Just did

--one of them actually worships the Sun in an astrological sort of way.
Siriusly :smile:

Pope being enthroned under the authority of the Zodiac

popezodiac.jpg

The sign of Leo is directly above the Pope’s head.
Leo rules and/or is associated with:
Fame/France/Italy/Light/Love Kings and the throne.

vatican_zodiac.jpg

The Vatican council explains precession to the Pope

603062c4087b10fc4f5339ff9e3e1c57.jpg

San Miniato al Monte (Florence) - Zodiac floor.
See Fred Getting's book on astrological symbolism of church
Z

Oddity

Any number of ancient synagogues have zodiac patterns on the floors and sometimes windows. Makes sense as the bible is full of astrology.

image0023.jpg

But even in the old stuff, the stars are there to direct you to God - not to see the stars as God. The stars just tell the (our?) story.

Plus if you look at a lot of the old writings, Platonic form comes into it a lot. The stars aren't actually the stars - they're the imperfect physical representation of the form. The whole generation and corruption business, and the closer things get to the sublunary sphere (us, the earth), the more distorted the representations become.

Which doesn't mean nobody ever worshipped stars and planets. But that doesn't make astrology a religion. It has indeed been described as the divine science, but that's a ways from astrology as religion.

waybread

Repeated failures by astrologers to meet the requirements of the Scientific Method in regard to the challenges of those flawed tests have undoubtedly convinced most scientists that Astrology has been successfully debunked. I don't think I said anything out of line with the history of Astrology, unless you're certain that astrologers themselves didn't dispense medical advice, but only consulted with physicians.

I think it's fair enough to say that most scientists think astrology is without foundation. And frankly, the pop-schlock astrologers and the astrologers who are ignorant about science do not help astrology's cause.

Medicine became an academic subject in the Middle Ages, vs. the domain of local herbalists or convents: the date depends upon what country you consider. It was based upon rediscovered classical texts, which relied on the four humours (I. e., astrological elements and temperament.) In the European Middle Ages, astrology was taught separately as part of the "quadrivium" curriculum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrivium . Of course today, we often see the word "astronomy" used, but it would be more accurate to call it astrology. A knowledge of astrology was seen as vital to accurate diagnoses. http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/medicine/astrology/

I wouldn't be too hard on the scientists, David. Astrology clearly is not a science as science is practiced by physicists, biochemists, microbiologists, meteorologists, &c. 99.9% of scientists would agree that respected disciplines that are not science nevertheless are valuable: history, literature, economics, the fine and performing arts, &c.

As my second link indicated, historians of science (who may come from science, linguistic, or history educations) increasingly explore astrology/astronomy of the past as legitimate science-- for the historical period they study. One of my favourites was a professor of mathematics at Brown University, Otto Neugebauer, who analysed all of the extant horoscopes of the classical period to see if they corresponded to actual planetary positions. They did, and he was able to date them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_E._Neugebauer

You didn't comment on my theory that a blind reading won't work on any charts other than those of individualists who actually follow the impulses astrology is tracking and describing.

Sorry, David, missed that.

I said there was "a possibility" the tests were rigged, not that they actually were; it may have been subtle and even unconscious given the deep seated prejudice against astrology.

"Rigged tests" would be questioned. Keep in mind that the researchers are more likely to come from the social and behavioural sciences than from the "hard" and "life" sciences.

When you approach it with an open mind, it's so obvious that astrology works.

No, it's not, David! How can you ignore the many failures??? Examples of failures provided upon request. With an open mind we note that sometimes astrology works and sometimes it doesn't. No doubt some techniques and some individual astrologers are more accurate than others.

So, the Scientific Method has failed the test, not Astrology.
What test would that be??????

Back to the drawing board for the test designs! When aerodynamic science was in its infancy and couldn't explain why bees could fly--they had to expand the science to fit the facts. People, scientists included, can find ways to avoid seeing what they don't want to see; it's not intentional, and it happens to the best of us. Understanding how and why astrology works should be the goal, not pretending as though it has to prove its own existence as a real phenomenon. Understanding how bees fly led to the development of the helicopter. No telling what understanding how astrology works would advance Science itself.

A good example about bees, but not a good inference from it. The onus is on astrologers to make a better case: and we're not going to make it through ignorance of science or science-hating.

waybread

Scientists/priests using the scientific method/ritual in their laboratories/ temples to reveal the Laws of the Space-Time Continuum/God and creating amazing results/miracles. Scientists are zealots, spreading the gospel of their BELIEF that the material world is the only ONE true world, scoffing at those with a different belief paradigm/infidels, ridiculing other scientists who propose unorthodox theories/heretics, and their Holy Grail is a United Field Theory. Heard a story about an Aboriginal shaman in Australia who was told that some scientists using the Scientific Method had determined that his Dream Time wasn't real; to which he replied that, while in Dream Time, he had determined that Science wasn't real. All a matter of opinion.

David, have you digested anything I wrote? Please don't display further misunderstandings of science.... or misrepresentations.

Science and religion (or spirituality) do come from different paradigms. But religion is not always benign: look at what is happening with militant Islam in the Near East just now, the crusades, or child abuse by clergymen. Remember when both the Catholic and Protestant churches burned hapless people accused of being witches at the stake? How about pogroms or the Inquisition?

I could go on in this fashion, but you get the point.

How many scientists have you known personally? Please. Phone up your nearest university physics or chemistry department. Ask to meet with one of the faculty members over coffee or lunch, and put your concerns to them. See what they say. If this is too much of a stretch for you, just pick up some recent science textbooks in a used book store or at your public library. Page through them, and then let us know if they contain anything in support of your anti-scientific biases. Or just phone up some of the science teachers at your nearest public high school, and arrange to see them after hours, so that you can express your beliefs about science to them. See what they say. Or don't even show your hand. Just ask them to explain their field to you, and their beliefs about it.

I put it to you that you would find the challenge of speaking with actual scientists too confronting to your current beliefs to ever actually do something like this. But I would love to see you make the effort, and then report back.

There are a few scientists who enjoy debunking anything unscientific, such as Richard Dawkins. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins But most scientists are not extremists. They certainly don't view science as a pseudo-religion. Prior to my retirement, I knew scientists who were active in all of the major religious faiths, and their religious faiths defined God for them, not the science that they practiced. Some no doubt were atheists, but nobody wore their atheism on their sleeves: their beliefs were private matters. I also wonder how you think the science departments at church-run universities (like BYU, SMU, Notre Dame, &c manage to function.)

Few scientists are actually working on a Unified Field Theory. So far as I know, research in this area is restricted to physics. Most physicists study other topics. Plus that sort of leaves out the geologists, meteorologists, botanists, zoologists, astronomers, chemists, neuroscientists, and medical researchers. So why even make a statement that you yourself could easily demonstrate to be incorrect, just by checking Wikipedia?

Scientists, of course, tend to be highly educated in specialized areas of research. But most of them go home at the end of the day to their spouse and kids. They have hobbies, and I've known some who were actually expert in them, ranging from deep-sea sailing to Russian composers. Some go to church or the house of worship of their choice.

Fundamentally, David, scientists are human beings like the rest of us. So why demonize a group of people, when you don't know even one of them personally, or understand how scientific research actually works? It just makes no sense.

Last edited:

waybread

Verifying the scientific method using the scientific method is circular reasoning. No one doubts the miracles that can be achieved using it, but that doesn't make it the only way to define Reality. I find it beautiful myself, and it's a wonderful world view--just not the only valid one.

David, I don't think that most scientists actually think that science is the only way to define reality. I mentioned previously scientists who are active members of their religious faiths, and who teach at church-run universities. Academic scientists rub shoulders with professors of history, literature, philosophy, studio art, religious studies, music, law, and other fields that are respected and empirical in their own way, but that don't meet the definition of science.

And for good reason. If you're a historian, you cannot "test" the past in a lab or with a telescope. You can't put in a field season in the Middle Ages via a time machine. If your discipline is comparative religion, you generally do it from a more neutral or objective perspective if you teach at a public university.

The social sciences today are kind of a hybrid between science and the humanities. These are fields like anthropology and sociology. Psychology has trended much more to the side of science.

I would also encourage you to pick a comprehensive college or university, and look on-line at its faculty research interests and course descriptions.

waybread

They were mixing the DNA of people with the DNA of planets??? I'm confused.

There are gods and goddesses out there who bear the names of planets, but in the ancient astrological writings you will find very, very little mythology. Planets and stars weren't considered gods by astrologers.

Most religions have feast days, a lot of them astrologically timed, and some religions practise sacrifice, but that doesn't make them star-worshippers.

Did I miss something here? Cos I feel like I must have.

I think we can dismiss the idea of sex between gods and humans as factual even though you find all kinds of mentions of it in Graeco-Roman mythology. Jupiter (Zeus) was quite the philanderer.

Oddity, I agree that the Hellenistic astrologers we know about today were not writing myths into their work. However, I think that the reality of mythology is assumed in the Hellenistic astrological texts, with the exception of Ptolemy who was trying to move astrology to a more scientific footing. (As science was defined in the 2nd century CE.) You especially get mythology embedded in the introductory material of Firmicus Maternus, for whom the pagan gods were very real. (He later converted to Christianity.) Astrology had quite a Hermetic tradition, which postulated Hermes (Mercury) as the founder of their mystical beliefs.

Then so many of our planetary rulerships stem from mythology. Today the planet Mercury rules liars and thieves because the young god Mercury was a liar and thief. The planet Venus rules feminine beauty today because the goddess Venus emblemized feminine beauty. Mars was the god of war, as today the planet Mars rules soldiers.

In terms of star-worship, it depends upon the culture. The Sumerians who started it all did worship the stars as gods, and you find some of this in Babylonian astrology, where the cuniform texts sometimes give the same word for "planet" and "god." We get some of this in the biblical prohibition of star-worship, from texts probably dated around 500 BC. It seems that at least some people were worshipping stars then. These oldest forms of astrology usually took the form of omen-readings: broadly speaking, mundane and electional astrology.

But Mesopotamian star-worship pre-dates horoscopic astrology, which doesn't seem to be older than around 200 BCE.

The Greeks do not seem to have worshipped planets as gods, probably because their gods pre-dated the introduction of astrology into Greece. The principal Greek gods were Olympian or terrestrial.

The mistaken idea that astrology today involves star-worship does appear on some evangelical Christian websites.

I can provide references, if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

waybread

melleoscorp,

Nibiru was never an unusual planet. The Akkadian word more generally meant "crossing over." Astronomically it referred to a known planet (usually Jupiter) "crossing over" the intersection of the celestial equator and the ecliptic, not a Planet X beyond Pluto. (The idea that this planet is really out there, but NASA is trying to hide it is just another weird conspiracy theory. All of the major nations have their own departments and agencies of astronomers. If the Russian or British astronomers found a planet Nibiru, NASA could hardly prevent them from publishing their findings.)

We also have to be sceptical of claims of gods mating with women, which were common mythologically in ancient Greece and Rome, and primarily used as national origin myths, as a means of elevating the status of a particular ethnic group. The Romans were also great ones for attributing divine parentage to their emperors or heroes, and deifying their emperors.

Seriously, we can't take this stuff seriously.

https://earthsky.org/space/planet-nibiru-is-not-real

http://cdli.ucla.edu/files/publications/CDLB2015_003.pdf

JUPITERASC

universities are not populated by infallible gods or god-like beings :smile:
who must be worshipped without question
and/or held in awe due to their allegedly somehow superior status
ironically comparable to that of Church/Pope et al in ages past

on the contrary
'academics'/universities are not substitutes for awe-inspiring gods/goddesses

the theories and assumptions of academics/universities are frequently proven mistaken

Individuals conducting their own private research
have produced results that directly challenge Establishment mindset/perspective of “official science/universities”

for example:

Wayne Herschel in THE HIDDEN RECORDS deciphered the Clavicula Salomonis
or Solomon Key manuscript in the British Library.

Ancient knowledge discovered in pyramid star maps in Egypt and Tikal
matches monument layout patterns found at Stonehenge
and sites all around the world
and on Mars.

The original earliest evidence for 'the Lost symbol of Ra'.
Dan Brown dropped the story in The Lost Symbol novel and changed the title.

PART 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEPom...eature=related

PART 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7MR6...eature=related

The deciphered Key of Solomon parchment
leads to two more star maps
the Vatican city
and
Washington DC city layout patterns
outline another star system of the 'gods' near the Pleiades
who Wayne Herschel opines are our human ancestors

thus challenging human origin theory
as well as the foundations of all religions.
Wayne Herschel online
http://www.thehiddenrecords.com

JUPITERASC

Gods of the sea are amongst the most powerful
because
water represents the power of creation
which can both give and destroy life.

Christian iconography of the fish symbol is associated with Jesus
— and although it is believed to be in relation to the statement to Peter and Andrew
that if they followed him
He would make them fishers of men
thi
s mythology, too, dates back even before the Bible
and is actually relating to the Dagon god (or “fish god”) of the Philistines :smile:

http://www.collective-evolution.com...rsy-the-hidden-meaning-of-the-starbucks-logo/
dagon1.jpg