If You Are An Astrologer Then What Is Your Definition of Free Will

Shadowflash

Hm. Fairly predictable, I suppose, how this discussion/debate has unfolded, eh? :cool:

Coupla things here.

For JUPITERASC -- Thanks for your comments! You say:

"The phrase 'prior to incarnation' infers some form of nebulous existence - obviously then a rhetorical question arises regarding the origin of 'the soul aka the self'"

and

"So 'soulgrowth plan' = karma"

While you specified your first comment as rhetorical, I'd like to elaborate a bit here in a way I hope will convey my own *entirely subjective* :D context of experience and understanding of all this.

Obviously I'm coming from an entirely spiritual frame of reference; I understand the origin of the soul (aka self) literally as Infinite Love, and that each of us as incarnate beings (actually whether in bodies or not) are sparks of/expressions of that Love, or the Divine. I see our cycles of physical lives on Earth as the arena within which we are presented with the choice, moment by moment, whether to choose to enact and embody that love, which dwells within our hearts, or to be/think/act from our entirely-human/egoic energies, which is entirely limited to the realm of mind and almost always dominated by fear. (This life's curriculum for me being quantumly Plutonian/Scorpionic, I've come to understand the dance between spirit/human as pivoting upon the differentiation between control, which is fear-driven, and power, which is love-driven.) I also see this soul/self's journey as a very long and complex one, accomplished over many lifetimes, as we go through much repetitive cause-and-effect-based learning, or *soulgrowth*...

Regarding your second comment, I also wanted to share that for whatever reason...(I'm sure BobZemco would characterize this in many *other ways,* based on his own subjective perspective :wink:).....I came into this life with actual memory of my between-lifetime experience. I remember my human persona...and those of everyone I crossed paths with in that just-past lifetime, no matter what level of involvement...dropping away literally like a mask, revealing their soul-level identity and relationship to me -- which was almost always a continuing long-term saga. One of the biggest shocks was discovering that those with whom I'd had the most diffculty in that life were almost always souls with whom I had the most deep and profound love bond at that higher level...and that *all relationships* I had had, in that life, originated from an agreement made from a similar, very sacred abiding love to portray these roles for one another... Where the word "karma" comes into the picture embraces the fact that the roles we choose to portray for one another draw their inspiration *from* having everything that occurred, all the choices we made in that lifetime, revealed to us *at a truly causal level*. We are able to see all this only because at that level, we are able to *see it all through the eyes of Infinite Love,* which is wholly compassionate and wise; we see exactly why and how even the most horrific of situations, both inner and outer, came to be...and from that context of vision and perception, deep desires to be of further soulgrowth service to one another arise, and are then chosen to be enacted in another lifetime... Often from that higher level we want very much, for instance, to be a source of rich support, love and blessing to a soul we have much amazing history with -- and then, once incarnate deep within the complexities of a human psyche, and within the spell of ego and fear, we (ahem) drift astray from that original intention, and sometimes even cause them great harm. Once that lifetime has ended, we *see what happened,* and from that we intend and create, once again, another opportunity to awaken into living and embodying love within that relationship, instead of fear-based reaction/choices.

From my current incarnate state the analogy came to me of Earthlife being literally like an enormous virtual-reality construct, in which we don aspects of character/persona/psychoemotional qualities (masks or costumes) to then interact with others similarly "veiled" to us and to navigate all these "roads" or 3D circumstantial scenarios for the purposes of soulgrowth.

Argh, that's a very shortened nutshell...and I'm not going to re-read and edit as my pain level's pretty high this morning, but I hope it serves!

For Poyi: I LOVE the quote you use at the bottom of your posts! I couldn't agree more!

Love to everyone...

wilsontc

Staff member
General chat

All,

By request, I have reviewed this thread and do find it to be more of a "General Chat" thread than any sort of R&D. While this thread is a splinter of another thread, since it is NOW it's own thread please stay on the new thread topic. I have deleted posts that verged on attacking and all the responses to those threads as being off-topic from a discussion of "free will" and what that means to you as an astrologer.

Back on topic,

Tim

serafin5

My favorite book, The Little Prince, the best book for the child at heart. For those are interested can download the full version. The entire book explains why the child sees better than the adult who prefers facts, and why human suffers the way they suffering and lost their internal peace.

"Once when I was six years old I saw a magnificent picture in a book, called
True Stories from Nature, about the primeval forest. It was a picture of a boa
constrictor in the act of swallowing an animal. Here is a copy of the drawing.
In the book it said: “Boa constrictors swallow their prey whole, without
chewing it. After that they are not able to move, and they sleep through the
six months that they need for digestion.”
I pondered deeply, then, over the adventures of the jungle. And after some
work with a colored pencil I succeeded in making my first drawing. My Drawing
Number One. It looked like this:
I showed my masterpiece to the grown-ups, and asked them whether the
drawing frightened them.
But they answered: “Frighten? Why should any one be frightened by a
hat?”
My drawing was not a picture of a hat. It was a picture of a boa constrictor
digesting an elephant. But since the grown-ups were not able to understand it,
I made another drawing: I drew the inside of the boa constrictor, so that the
grown-ups could see it clearly. They always need to have things explained. My
Drawing Number Two looked like this....."

Here is the full PDF for download
http://cs.swan.ac.uk/~cswill/The_little_prince.pdf

I really love this book!:joyful:

S5

tsmall

Premium Member

the ability to act at one's own discretion.

Interesting article on the neurology of "free will."

http://io9.com/5975778/scientific-evidence-that-you-probably-dont-have-free-will

Acting at one's own discretion implies a conscious decision. The article highlights that the brain unconsciously prepares the body to act before consciousness blooms.

His experiment showed that the neurons lit up with activity as much as 1.5 seconds before the participant made a conscious decision to press a button. And with about 700 milliseconds to go, Fried and his team could predict the timing of decisions with nearly 80% accuracy. In some scenarios, he had as much as 90% predictive accuracy.

As many of you know, we all do it often, but this is an off-shoot branch from Zarathu's thread:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66767

I started my astro studies with Heindel, an early leader of the Rosicrucian Fellowship, who taught:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/ros/ad.txt

Augusta Foss Heindel. ... It is a science which will not set aside the old school of medicine and diagnosis ... etc., and these open-minded men are ready to accept a more advanced method of ..... of the earthy triplicity, and has less power of resistance that the fixed sign of Leo. .... LEO-Inpulse, arrogance, fixity, vitality, ardor

In other words Heindel taught that the more common or mutable planets a native had the younger the soul, and they were like tumbleweeds or grass that blew this way and that way. Yet the more fixity in a horoscope, the older the soul, greater the will power and determination.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/fixity

So I'm going to state, and many of you have noticed this, 'All men are created equal, ...yet some men are more equal than others..'

Note those with great fixity in their respective maps and how much willpower they exhibit in contrast to those with more common sign placements!

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
What about those have mutable/cardinal signs in fixed houses, and fixed signs in mutable/cardinal houses....:surprised:

Fixed signs are determine but in extreme can be stubborn like a bull...so as the extreme mutable being like tumbleweeds :lol:

Last edited:
http://wordsforthepeople.com/2011/12/astrology-free-will-vs-fatalism/

Max Heindel taught:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/ros/rcc.txt

Max Heindel. ...... it tears and shatters the forms built there in a way dreadful to see, yet it is not a fatalistic force. ...... Not until that time will the Ego be entirely free and independent of the group-spirit, which ...... The spirit has free will as to detail.

http://www.rosicrucian.com/pdf_plaza/Rosicrucian%20Christianity%20Lectures.pdf

Max Heindel, spiritual Initiate and messenger of the Rosicrucian. Brotherhood, was born ...... at least every evil act is an act of free-will, committed even against the ...... astrology is fatalistic; and while it may so appear, a deeper study will show ...

http://www.rosicrucian.com/rcl/rcleng04.htm

lectures 10 -11:

Max Heindel ... That same position will not occur again until a sidereal year has passed, and that is 25,868 of our ... There is in the mind of many people the idea that astrology is fatalistic; and while it may so appear, ... in time; and in order to understand the scope of our free will we must recognize the fact that the result of our ...

Last edited:
I read a little of what others wrote, but didnt follow through. I used to hear these debates all the time between supralapsarians and open theists. I tend towards open theism. So, that debate goes, if God exists, how can we have free will. the open theists say, god is not infinite, just larger than ourselves to such a degree that we do not know how to relate to it other than as infinity.
So, with astrology, similarly, our understanding of it is superstition, but science could be applied to it. Within the material world most things could be fated, socialization, population dynamics, nutritional and sexual restrictions, but even with these deterministic variables there is choice and degrees of variation. Most of the time, free will is a minor direct animal response to our environment and the greater context of what we are and who we are are completely out of our control.

Souls do not exist. Nothing unreal exists. Anything real has mass and takes up space. A discussion on Free Will should focus on what is objective, and what can be quantified and qualified objectively, and not esoteric subjectivity.

I agree. As someone who believes in Buddhist principles, everything is inherently empty and meaningless. We create meaning with our thoughts, emotions, and actions.

JUPITERASC

I agree. As someone who believes in Buddhist principles, everything is inherently empty and meaningless. We create meaning with our thoughts, emotions, and actions.
Buddhist principles do clearly delineate our experience of transience.

Analysis of transience then leads to understanding the inherent emptiness and therefore meaninglessness of existence

Although the word 'meaninglessness' has negative connotations for many, 'meaninglessness' is not necessarily depressing
:smile:

serafin5

Hm. Fairly predictable, I suppose, how this discussion/debate has unfolded, eh? :cool:

Coupla things here.

For JUPITERASC -- Thanks for your comments! You say:

"The phrase 'prior to incarnation' infers some form of nebulous existence - obviously then a rhetorical question arises regarding the origin of 'the soul aka the self'"

and

"So 'soulgrowth plan' = karma"

While you specified your first comment as rhetorical, I'd like to elaborate a bit here in a way I hope will convey my own *entirely subjective* :D context of experience and understanding of all this.

Obviously I'm coming from an entirely spiritual frame of reference; I understand the origin of the soul (aka self) literally as Infinite Love, and that each of us as incarnate beings (actually whether in bodies or not) are sparks of/expressions of that Love, or the Divine. I see our cycles of physical lives on Earth as the arena within which we are presented with the choice, moment by moment, whether to choose to enact and embody that love, which dwells within our hearts, or to be/think/act from our entirely-human/egoic energies, which is entirely limited to the realm of mind and almost always dominated by fear. (This life's curriculum for me being quantumly Plutonian/Scorpionic, I've come to understand the dance between spirit/human as pivoting upon the differentiation between control, which is fear-driven, and power, which is love-driven.) I also see this soul/self's journey as a very long and complex one, accomplished over many lifetimes, as we go through much repetitive cause-and-effect-based learning, or *soulgrowth*...

Regarding your second comment, I also wanted to share that for whatever reason...(I'm sure BobZemco would characterize this in many *other ways,* based on his own subjective perspective :wink:).....I came into this life with actual memory of my between-lifetime experience. I remember my human persona...and those of everyone I crossed paths with in that just-past lifetime, no matter what level of involvement...dropping away literally like a mask, revealing their soul-level identity and relationship to me -- which was almost always a continuing long-term saga. One of the biggest shocks was discovering that those with whom I'd had the most diffculty in that life were almost always souls with whom I had the most deep and profound love bond at that higher level...and that *all relationships* I had had, in that life, originated from an agreement made from a similar, very sacred abiding love to portray these roles for one another... Where the word "karma" comes into the picture embraces the fact that the roles we choose to portray for one another draw their inspiration *from* having everything that occurred, all the choices we made in that lifetime, revealed to us *at a truly causal level*. We are able to see all this only because at that level, we are able to *see it all through the eyes of Infinite Love,* which is wholly compassionate and wise; we see exactly why and how even the most horrific of situations, both inner and outer, came to be...and from that context of vision and perception, deep desires to be of further soulgrowth service to one another arise, and are then chosen to be enacted in another lifetime... Often from that higher level we want very much, for instance, to be a source of rich support, love and blessing to a soul we have much amazing history with -- and then, once incarnate deep within the complexities of a human psyche, and within the spell of ego and fear, we (ahem) drift astray from that original intention, and sometimes even cause them great harm. Once that lifetime has ended, we *see what happened,* and from that we intend and create, once again, another opportunity to awaken into living and embodying love within that relationship, instead of fear-based reaction/choices.

From my current incarnate state the analogy came to me of Earthlife being literally like an enormous virtual-reality construct, in which we don aspects of character/persona/psychoemotional qualities (masks or costumes) to then interact with others similarly "veiled" to us and to navigate all these "roads" or 3D circumstantial scenarios for the purposes of soulgrowth.

Argh, that's a very shortened nutshell...and I'm not going to re-read and edit as my pain level's pretty high this morning, but I hope it serves!

For Poyi: I LOVE the quote you use at the bottom of your posts! I couldn't agree more!

Love to everyone...

I believe this and thank you. Beautifully written too :love:!

S5

Hathor

I believe we have (generally - excusing the more evolved) as much free will as a dog on a leash. You can go with the flow, or sit down and be dragged. We humans, considering we are just playing out our chart on the world stage, take the line of least resistance because we won't see other options. We can be "underlings to the stars" or we can be the stars.

K

Katydidit

I am not an astrologer but have followed it for over 40 years and still keep it close to me.

On the debate of free will:
Sometimes I will sit down to chart out what has been happening in the skies over the last month because something fated ended up happening. In the meantime, I had lived the month, doing whatever I willed, without the guidance of a higher circle of energy/events. My whole month wasn't fated, just one event that did become a milestone in personal history.

Life happens to us sometimes. Most of the time we weave our way from one milestone to another on a much smaller circle. Everything in between is free will - the ability to create anew - to create a new "zero moment" and spin from one circle/cycle into a larger.

JUPITERASC

I am not an astrologer but have followed it for over 40 years and still keep it close to me.

On the debate of free will:
Sometimes I will sit down to chart out what has been happening in the skies over the last month because something fated ended up happening. In the meantime, I had lived the month, doing whatever I willed, without the guidance of a higher circle of energy/events. My whole month wasn't fated, just one event that did become a milestone in personal history.

Life happens to us sometimes. Most of the time we weave our way from one milestone to another on a much smaller circle. Everything in between is free will - the ability to create anew - to create a new "zero moment" and spin from one circle/cycle into a larger.
Once born, an infant develops along a pre-destined path of physical development that ultimately ends with death
- beyond anyone's control or 'Free Will'

Cypocryphy

Souls do not exist. Nothing unreal exists. Anything real has mass and takes up space. A discussion on Free Will should focus on what is objective, and what can be quantified and qualified objectively, and not esoteric subjectivity.

Coming from an astrologer, this statement alludes to the speaker's having an extreme level of cognitive dissonance and true misunderstanding of reality.

Last edited:

greybeard

The whaling ship Essex was rammed by a bull sperm whale in the mid-Pacific around 1820.

The crew made it to an unihabited (and scarcely habitable) island in their small boats. A few crew opted to stay on the island, but most chose to attempt to make the coast of Peru, several thousand miles to the east. I believe 4 made it to Peru, barely alive. The rest died along the way, and some were eaten by their shipmates.

Fate or destiny decreed that the whale would ram and sink the ship.

Once in the predicament, free will decided whether to stay on the island or sail for Peru. Free will determined whether or not a shipmate was eaten. If you didn't eat him you would die. The choice was yours.

That's pretty much the long and short of free will and predestination.

I did not choose (as far as I know) to be born male...or American...or my mother and father, certainly not my knothead brother...whether to go to school or not...

As an astrologer, it is clear to me that I did not choose my own character and inherent traits, or the general course of my destiny (71 years later, I can see my life as it was and is written in the stars). All these things are the whale.

It is only within the confines of my destiny that I exercise free will. My choices may affect the form my destiny takes, but not its general nature. That is determined by a Power greater than I. And even those choices, my free will, may be predetermined, given my inherent tendencies and traits which incline me toward certain types of choices and not others.

Cypocryphy

Free will, in an astrological context, simple means that, like a steersman, we can navigate our way through life based our own conscious direction through our own situational probabilities. To think that our lives are absolutely dictated by the stellar pattern in the heavens is absolute nonsense, and anyone who believes otherwise has their eyes open wide-shut. The evidence is abundant, and to carry on in the face of that evidence moves astrology into the category of religion, where it is supported by blind faith. There is not greater travesty of mind than to myopically focus on only that which supports one's belief system and, with blinders, stumble through life with tunnel vision.

Empower yourself with truth. It is the best way to live.

greybeard

Didn't see the thing on "no soul."

Ideas do not have mass nor take up space. Are ideas then "not real"?

The idea I am putting forward here and now, transmuted into words (symbols) so that the idea can be shared with others, is eliciting emotional and intellectual responses in those who read them. Is this not real?

If you use the nodes of the Moon in your practice of astrology ... Cease and Desist. They have no mass, do not occupy space, and are not real. Ditto the Arabic parts, and other such ghostly creatures.

And by the way, gravity has no mass and takes up no space. The Earth is held in its orbit by a silken thread.

Perhaps there is more to this universe than things that can be seen, weighed, and put in their place.

Speaking of symbols, what distinguishes Man -- more than anything else -- from all other known forms of life, is the gift of Symbolic Thought (abstract thought). Mathematics is purely symbolical. Language is purely symbolical. Astrology is also purely symbolical (uh-oh, here comes an argument).

Last edited:

Cypocryphy

Not necessarily :smile:
We experience an 'observer created reality' hence 'reality' is relative

Reality is experienced on many levels. This statement prevaricates from the real issue at hand, and though you may personally perceive reality differently from your neighbor, there is, unfortunately (depending on how you view it) a general consensus of what "is." It "is," for the most part, immutable.

When a person argues with words like "its all relative" or "that your opinion," it means that there is not much substance to the argument, "in my opinion." :wink: