View Single Post
Unread 05-31-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Given today's epidemics of opioids, heroin, methamphetamine, fentanyl addiction, and who knows what's next, I don't find this topic super funny.

Annual drug overdose deaths in the US are over 60,000 people per year. That's not counting the addicts struggling with their condition. That's not counting people with dependencies on sleeping pills, alcohol, marijuana, and tranquilizers. That's not counting the devastation that substance abuse causes in the lives of the abusers and the people who love them. Alcohol-related deaths in the US are at about 88,000 per year. https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-he...and-statistics. We could get into nicotine addiction, also.

A lot of light-hearted fun here. Huh.
I agree that it is a serious matter and not funny at the end of the day. But I posted this because Iím a recovering addict and find that having a bit of humor about it helps lighten the heaviness of all the dark things one experiences in recovery. I think that codependency, sex, sugar, food, etc are also horrible addictions that get taken even less seriously.