Discussion of Basic Astrology-Ed Board

hazelrah

Hi Lilly, I was reading your Basic Astrology for Beginners thread to reinforce my knowledge of the rudiments of natal astrology(and learn alot of things I didn't know). At the top of the page, you remind everyone that an accurate birth time is essential. Unfortunately, my birth story is an unconventional one, and an accurate birth time pretty hard to get at by conventional means. I've heard that you can get an accurate birth time by erecting a rectification chart, using solar arcs? How would a beginner go about getting her hands on this info? I've had my chart done using the best info available, but it's never seemed quite right. I'm starting my studies all over again after several years, and would like to start out on the right foot. If you can help me here, I'd really appreciate it!!! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hazelrah,
Although some astrologers will assure you they can rectify your chart, and will charge you a lot of money to do so, rectification is very involved, and hard to get accurate. If you know *roughly* your birth time, and have a good diary with exact dates of crucial events-like the day you left home, or started college, or got injured, etc etc then it *can* technically be done.You do need a lot of events though.
One of our members here, Arian Maverick, has basically spent years here rectifying her chart-I think recently she expressed confidence that this one felt right.Maybe you could pm her, to discuss the process she went through.
Personally I have not found solar arcs to be reliable, although some members *swear by* them.
In your position I would make every effort to get hold of a birthtime.Even if you are adopted, records of your birth time do exist-I found mine, at a hospital that archived birth records for the district I was born in.
If you weren't born in a hospital, I'd be finding out who was there, who may recall.Your mother doesn't know?
In the case of adopted persons, the papers involved should at least give you some very important dates to start a rectification process, but if you are new to astrology, this could be a slow, but very worthwhile process.
Cheers
Lilly

hazelrah

Thanks Lilly. I'll just do the best I can with what I have. I was born en route to the hopsital. The ambulance driver gave my birth time for the cert. , but I suspect he rounded. Mom isn't sure of the time, she has given me 2 different estimates. Either way, it was around midnight. Close enough?

Hi Hazelrah,

I know Kannon, a member here, does chart retification based on birth times, if you're interested. Arian Maverick had this done.

Hi Lilly,

I have thoughts about linking people to members who can help with issues like this, that could be included in the Basic Astrology Ed Board. Should I PM you about this or can I include my example here? I forsee potential issues with this, and perhaps it would be easier to discuss it here, with the community as a whole putting their input in? Just my thoughts, would like to hear yours of course.

Thanks,

Theodora

lillyjgc

Modcleo,
Members come and go.
The Ed Board, is a library, remember.It's for Articles.If members are looking for other members interested in same topic areas, all they need to do is look on the relevant threads, and see who demonstrates expertise.
Lilly

Modcleo,
Members come and go.
The Ed Board, is a library, remember.It's for Articles.If members are looking for other members interested in same topic areas, all they need to do is look on the relevant threads, and see who demonstrates expertise.
Lilly

Right, the members coming and going was one of the issues I was thinking of. Good point to bring it up here.

The Ed Board is a Library. I have noticed just now, you linked this thread from the original Basic Astrology Article in the Library. I was thinking we could do the same. Relevant threads on topics like chart retification could be linked. Kannon as a user was just an example, so that Hazelrah could get some immediate help, but as you pointed out, members come and go, but threads do not.

Last edited:

lillyjgc

Hazel,
If your birth time is known within a few minutes, rectification shouldn't be too difficult.I suggest you read the sabian symbols for each ascendant time and see which one fits best.
Cheers
Lilly

DreamingTheSeas

Part of fortune By Natasa812
The Part of fortune is an Arabic part also called the Lot of fortune. It is a mathematically calculated point in a natal chart. It is not a planet. We calculate it differently for day births and differently for night births:
For day births (A.M.): Ascendant + Moon – Sun.
For night births (PM): Ascendant + Sun – Moon.
(You can also calculate it here: http://www.noendpress.com/pvachier/a...arts/index.php)

I thought that it is For Day births :Ascendant + Sun – Moon
and for Night births : Ascendant + Moon – Sun .

dr. farr

Actually the formula given is correct (for the Part of Fortune); for the PART OF SPIRIT it is:
-by day =asc+sun-moon
-by night = asc+moon-sun

Remember that these Parts were once referred to by other terms: The Lot of the Moon (= part of fortune) and the Lot of the Sun (= part of spirit; the part of spirit was also called the Lot of Mystery, the Lot of the Daemon-Greek for supernatural consciousness-and also the Pars Futorum, the Lot of the Future)

DreamingTheSeas

Thank you very much dr farr. You are always very helpful!

Now makes sense for me! My part of Fortune in Cancer, in 8th house. Happiness comes from BIRTH of a child (yes), idea, business and from REBIRTH (i am in this now!)

Last edited:

Love2Know

Thanks for all the starter info, I have attention trouble remembering some of the more detail orientated parts of astrology, I am really into the personality aspects of astrology or the psychology behind astrology. I always had trouble being called just a sensitive crab and now I realize there is so much more to astrology than just a sun sign. My question is, when I first discovered my chart I found I did not have any planets in air signs though I do have an angel or something in Aquarius and houses in air signs. Should my lack of air in the houses affect me intellectually? I also read that you said that water and fire makes steam which is related to air? Do my water and fire signs compensate for the lack of air??? Thank you

ReincarnatedRainbow

"See if you can find a lack of a certain aspect. (no conjunctions or no oppositions for instance)
See if you find an unaspected planet. The energy of that planet will work without interference from other planetary energies in the chart and only temporarily influenced by transits."

I am learning how to interpret a chart, so I thought this would be a good place to start, but I think I'm a bit more behind than the average beginner :joyful:

Where on a chart does it show the aspects? -blink-

dr. farr

If you erect charts on astro.com (free horoscope section) there is a table attached on the same page as the chart wheel-this is called an "aspectarian" (or aspectual table) and shows the conjunctions and aspects formed in the horoscope.

ReincarnatedRainbow

Ah, okay, I see it. Why are some aspects above other ones in the table? It shows the planet, then all the aspects under it. But the aspects seem to be in certain boxes below it.

dr. farr

It is so you can see the aspects the planet has with all other planets: eg, see the Moon: the box across from it shows any aspect the Moon has with the Sun; the boxes below it show any aspect the Moon has with the other planets; and so on for each subsequent planet.

JUPITERASC

thanks for the links learning some good stuff. whats it mean if theres no planets in a house
The affairs of a house with no planets located therein are governed - from their particular house locations- by the domicile, exaltation and other Essential Dignity Lords of the sign on the cusp of that particular empty house. It is not uncommon for a natal chart to have houses empty of planets :smile: