Singletons in the Natal Chart

WeCareALot

I saw there were a couple of old threads (5+ years) about singletons, so I wanted to ask a new crop of folks here: do you have any singletons in your natal chart?

For those that don't know, singletons are planets or a conjunction of planets that are the only ones of a certain element or quality (cardinal, fixed, mutable). Some astrologers also consider planets that are the only ones in a particular house type (angular, succedent, or cadent) and planets that are the only ones on one side of the chart---for example, people with bucket charts where the handle of the bucket is the singleton.

Personally, I've got a Pluto singleton being my only fixed planet, and I don't notice it too much. The only aspect it makes to a personal planet is a trine to my Mercury. But supposedly singletons can be expressed very strongly or not at all.

waybread

I think singletons have meaning by element: if someone has only one planet in earth, for example. S/he may have to compensate in some way, or else s/he may come across as predominantly of the element that has the most planets in it.

A pair or stellium of planets in a given element by my definition would not be a singleton.

You can sometimes find a person with a "bucket" formation, with all of the planets on one side of the chart, except for one several houses/signs away from its nearest neighbours that functions as the "handle." I think it would operate much like a singleton. Sometimes you can find a pair of planets or even a stellium as the handle but these are not so common.

I suppose you could do this by the modality of the sign or house as well, though I confess I've not paid much attention to it.

greybeard

Some astrologers (me, for instance) don't consider any of the above as "singletons".

I would very much like for someone who uses this term in this way to tell me where (with which astrologer) this originated.

Reason this out. Let's say we have 9 planets in Fire and Water and only one in Air. Notice that there are none in Earth. What stands out? Not the single planet in an Element, but the Element with NO planet at all. Assuming we have a single planet in a Quality or Element, with the balance of the planets in the remaining Qualities and Elements (none empty), we can have the following distributions in the Elements:
A) 1-3-3-3....B)1-2-3-4....C)1-1-4-4....D)1-2-2-5 ... and more, but the balance of the distributions are variations on a theme. In C we find our "singleton" duplicated, therefore ambiguous and invalid. In the remainder (including all that I did not list) we have a standard preponderance by Element, which (I maintain) far outweighs the so-called singleton in its influence in the life and renders the singleton impotent, insignificant. We end up with one possible distribution (A) in which the "singleton" might be of more than ordinary significance; in my opinion it is not. The same occurs with Quality: with only one planet in one of the Qualities we end up with a standard preponderance (either positive or negative) in one of the other two Qualities in every possible distribution. In the example with which I opened this paragraph we have both a positive and negative standard preponderance, relegating the so-called singleton to insignificance; it adds nothing to the delineation.

I know it's not your job. But I would also like for someone who uses the term in this way to show me the actual manifestation of the power of this "singleton" in interpretation. How does it actually show up in a life? Present a chart where this condition is present and delineate that chart, demonstrating the effectiveness of the concept.

A singleton (as I learned the definition, and as I have used the concept for around 40 years) is a planet (see Waybread above) that stands alone...usually by hemisphere, e.g. the handle of a Bucket pattern. A singleton by hemisphere is very potent. A singleton by hemisphere does not have to be widely separated from the Angles, provided it has sufficient distance to "stand apart", which is often a judgment call on the part of the astrologer based on analysis of the chart.

In the question of Elements and Qualities (Modes) we have preponderances, which come in positive and negative manifestations. A positive preponderance by Element demands that 5 or more planets (some astrologers require only 4, which is what I used in the above discussion of distributions) be in the same element with no other one of the elements equally represented. The negative preponderance occurs when no planet occupies an element; the element is unrepresented in the chart. The same is true for the Qualities (5 planets must be in one Quality because there are only 3 Qualities, while there are 4 Elements). In the same way, if no planet is in a Quality, there is a negative preponderance, which implies a compensatory emphasis on the void Quality.

But one planet in an Element, Quality, house type, etc., means that it has representation and simply implies that the Element, Quality, House type or what have you is weakly represented, is unemphasized. I see no reason to consider such a planet as "outstanding", which is what is implied by the term "singleton." Either a majority, or none...brings weight, is preponderant. But one by itself in quality or element does not. It only suggests weakness or lack of any particular emphasis.

Last edited:

WeCareALot

Some astrologers (me, for instance) don't consider any of the above as "singletons".

I would very much like for someone who uses this term in this way to tell me where (with which astrologer) this originated.

Reason this out. Let's say we have 9 planets in Fire and Water and only one in Air. Notice that there are none in Earth. What stands out? Not the single planet in an Element, but the Element with NO planet at all. Assuming we have a single planet in a Quality or Element, with the balance of the planets in the remaining Qualities and Elements (none empty), we can have the following distributions in the Elements:
A) 1-3-3-3....B)1-2-3-4....C)1-1-4-4....D)1-2-2-5 ... and more, but the balance of the distributions are variations on a theme. In C we find our "singleton" duplicated, therefore ambiguous and invalid. In the remainder (including all that I did not list) we have a standard preponderance by Element, which (I maintain) far outweighs the so-called singleton in its influence in the life and renders the singleton impotent, insignificant. We end up with one possible distribution (A) in which the "singleton" might be of more than ordinary significance; in my opinion it is not. The same occurs with Quality: with only one planet in one of the Qualities we end up with a standard preponderance (either positive or negative) in one of the other two Qualities in every possible distribution. In the example with which I opened this paragraph we have both a positive and negative standard preponderance, relegating the so-called singleton to insignificance; it adds nothing to the delineation.

I know it's not your job. But I would also like for someone who uses the term in this way to show me the actual manifestation of the power of this "singleton" in interpretation. How does it actually show up in a life? Present a chart where this condition is present and delineate that chart, demonstrating the effectiveness of the concept.

A singleton (as I learned the definition, and as I have used the concept for around 40 years) is a planet (see Waybread above) that stands alone...usually by hemisphere, e.g. the handle of a Bucket pattern. A singleton by hemisphere is very potent. A singleton by hemisphere does not have to be widely separated from the Angles, provided it has sufficient distance to "stand apart", which is often a judgment call on the part of the astrologer based on analysis of the chart.

In the question of Elements and Qualities (Modes) we have preponderances, which come in positive and negative manifestations. A positive preponderance by Element demands that 5 or more planets (some astrologers require only 4, which is what I used in the above discussion of distributions) be in the same element with no other one of the elements equally represented. The negative preponderance occurs when no planet occupies an element; the element is unrepresented in the chart. The same is true for the Qualities (5 planets must be in one Quality because there are only 3 Qualities, while there are 4 Elements). In the same way, if no planet is in a Quality, there is a negative preponderance, which implies a compensatory emphasis on the void Quality.

But one planet in an Element, Quality, house type, etc., means that it has representation and simply implies that the Element, Quality, House type or what have you is weakly represented, is unemphasized. I see no reason to consider such a planet as "outstanding", which is what is implied by the term "singleton." Either a majority, or none...brings weight, is preponderant. But one by itself in quality or element does not. It only suggests weakness or lack of any particular emphasis.

I mostly agree with you. I certainly don't feel that Pluto plays a huge part in my life, and it's technically my only fixed planet. However, I think that having one planet in a certain element can be interesting to consider because you would have to rely on that one planet to express your weak quality. For example, Air and Earth are the strongest/main elements in my chart; I've got 3 planets in each. Subsequently, I feel that there are multiple ways I can express my Airy and/or Earthy sides--For instance, with Air, I can call upon my Moon in Libra to argue/converse with others, I can use my Mars in Gemini and Jupiter in Gemini to gather a bunch of random facts about things, etc., etc. These are just examples, and obviously they're not the only ways in which Libra and Gemini energy can be used. But I'm simply making the point that I have more tools to use with the Air element. Same goes for the Earth element and the Cardinal quality since I've got 5 planets in cardinal signs.

On the other hand, I only have two planets in Water signs--my Merc in Pisces and Pluto in Scorp. Pluto is an outer planet and therefore it's already hard enough to access. In the overall context of my chart, these two planets are my only emotional tools, so to speak. Since Pluto is so remote, I mostly use Merc in Pisces to understand emotions (if that makes any kind of sense, lol)--mostly through imagination/daydreaming. Same goes for Fire, as I only have two planets in fire signs--Sun and Venus.

With "singletons," there's only 1 tool--in my case, Pluto is my only Fixed planet. The middle of any journey or project has always been the hardest part for me. It's the part of a project where you can't see the starting line (cardinal) and are too far away from the finish line (mutable) and you simply have to keep doing what you're doing until the end. I have a hard time incorporating any kind of fixed, just-push-through-it in my life; it doesn't feel natural. Strangely, the only times I have been able to push through is when I've literally said to myself, "I don't care if I die, I'm going to get this done." This may not be specifically due to Pluto (which, again, is an outer planet and already hard enough to access) but I can see how someone having a 'weakness' might lead them to overcompensate for it. Personally, I haven't overcompensated (although having a bit of stick-to-it-ness is something I know I need to incorporate); I've tended to rely on my strengths rather than build up my weaknesses. But imagine how someone can put a great deal of energy and time into building up the parts of themselves that are lacking? I think that's what "singleton" energy can do. I see singletons as energy that people may seek out--either in themselves through hard work or in others through a relationship--because they feel they don't have it naturally.

When an entire element or quality is missing, it seems like the person would try to compensate but because they wouldn't have any tools to use their actions would be more akin to stumbling in the dark, doing what they think embodies that quality instead of having some frame of reference. That may in fact manifest more strongly, but I'm really not sure.

WeCareALot

I think singletons have meaning by element: if someone has only one planet in earth, for example. S/he may have to compensate in some way, or else s/he may come across as predominantly of the element that has the most planets in it.

Whoops, sorry waybread. I replied to greybeard before I saw your post and realized that you're basically saying the same thing, haha. Didn't mean to be repetitive.

princess valhalla

Well I have a "singleton" in water, Uranus in Scorpio. I have 4 planets in Earth, 3 planets Fire and 2 planets Air. Making it 4-3-2-1.

My chart is a bowl chart with all planets in the Western hemisphere. So my chart is very "relationship" focused.

Uranus is very powerful in my chart, tightly conjunct my descendant gaining accidental dignity. It doesn't make a lot of major aspects. It sextiles Venus in the 9th as well as Saturn in the 5th. Obviously opposite my ascendant. Instead, it makes a bunch of minor aspects. It makes a quintile to my Jupiter/Mars conjunction (H5) as well as semi-sextiles Neptune (H8) and Pluto (H6.) It also makes a quintile to my MC.

How has this manifested for me? Well for starters, I would say that it is very representative of my boyfriend/husband. He is a Scorpio Sun with a Cazimi Mercury, conjunction by 4 minutes. He is extremely intelligent. He is also diagnosed as bi-polar. His Sun, Mercury and Jupiter all fall in conjunction with my Uranus/DC.

Obviously I have no interest in "traditional" marriage, although we have been in a committed relationship for 12 and a half years and have 2 daughters together. I just don't feel the need to be formally married. This is really my decision, as he has wanted to 'get married' on numerous occasions. I don't feel like getting a marriage license is necessary to validate my marriage.

Besides this, I find water to be very soothing to my soul. I like being around it, whether I am at the lake, the beach or in the bath/shower. Fish tanks are very soothing to me. I attract a lot of Scorpios it seems and a fair number of Cancers as well. Some of my best friends have been Scorpios and Cancers. To be fair, I also get along very well with Taurus and Aquarius too. Taurus being my AC, Aquarius my MC (Aquarius Moon conjuncting.)

greybeard

Thanks to WeCareALot and Princess Valhalla (Where's King Arthur?) for the intelligent expositions of your charts. Well done, both of you.

All roads lead to Rome. The main thing is to get there.

M

may28gemini

I don't include outer planets because they're generational so I'm only including planets from Sun to Saturn. I have 2 singletons- Water Moon and Earth Mars. I'm Fire void and Air dominant.

My singleton Mars and Moon sextile exactly. I think they have an important role to play in my chart... as in wreaking havoc and spreading about hysteria :lol:

I don't come off as Earth Mars, except when others realize that I'm quite good with manipulating the material plane. I even surprise myself at how well I manage finances and other practical areas of life. I am very noticeably a Water Moon, in my ability to add a bit of emotional flair to everything :innocent: I get grossed out by emotions but I'm guilty :devil: of manipulating the environment by spreading emotional excess.

It would seem that my Water Moon would be outta control and psycho but the connection between my 2 singletons actually forces me to "do" something constructive (Earth Mars) about my overflowing passions (Water Moon) and as a result, I take up a lot of various projects to funnel my energy. Water Moon has some boundaries, thanks to Earth Mars because I'm not a person who just "feels" but I have to do something to resolve how I feel. As soon as I "feel" something, I automatically do something to externalize that feeling. Either way, those planets need each other. Mars needs the Moon's cooperation to act upon directed desires, while the Moon needs Mars' physical command to materialize fulfillment.

Last edited:

WeCareALot

I don't include outer planets because they're generational so I'm only including planets from Sun to Saturn. I have 2 singletons- Water Moon and Earth Mars. I'm Fire void and Air dominant.

Hmm, interesting. So if we don't count outer planets then that means I have a Merc in Pisces singleton (only water sign) and a Saturn singleton (only earth sign) :andy: This is scaring me, lol.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Hmm, interesting. So if we don't count outer planets then that means I have a Merc in Pisces singleton (only water sign) and a Saturn singleton (only earth sign) :andy: This is scaring me, lol.

While you surely don't have to do this, without seeing the chart in question, the whole topic for you is simply idle speculation.

princess valhalla

I don't include outer planets because they're generational so I'm only including planets from Sun to Saturn.

I generally agree with this except when there is a strong connection of outers with the luminaries OR tightly conjunct the angles. Then it becomes very 'personal' to that chart.

For instance, Uranus in my chart is tightly conjunct descendant by 1 degree. It is the only opposition in my chart, 1 degree applying to my ascendant. It is also the midpoint in my bowl chart of leading planet, Jupiter and trailing planet, Moon. All planets enclosed between Moon and Jupiter. MO/JU = UR

Also it forms a small talent triangle with Uranus at the apex. With all planets in the Western Hemisphere, Uranus in 7th opposite ascendant speaks volumes. I have talent with unusual/brilliant (genius) relationships.

Uranus is key in understanding and delineating my chart.

M

may28gemini

I never include outer planets regardless if it's on an angle or not, aspect a luminary, etc. Outers are generational and extremely slow moving which means many people can have the same degrees for many months on end, so it actually dilutes the real count for an individual's chart.

WCAL, investigate your Earth Saturn and Water Mercury singletons because that will give you a more accurate account of you as a person and how you interact with the external world. If they aspect, then I suspect there's acknowledgement between them that they need to work together to accomplish something. Earth needs to do and materialize, while Water must have structure to flow in an effective manner (and not be destructive).

You have the same elemental singletons as I do and may need to find ways to make those planets work in your favor. I suspect you feel uncomfortable with the singletons, as I did with mine because singletons are hard to control. But I've learned to work with mine (exact sextile between them), so you can too.

princess valhalla

I'll have to agree to disagree with you.

Any planet making a close aspect (applying none the less) to the ascendant is very personal. The ascendant is one of the most personal points in the natal chart and the building block of the entire natal chart.

WeCareALot

WCAL, investigate your Earth Saturn and Water Mercury singletons because that will give you a more accurate account of you as a person and how you interact with the external world. If they aspect, then I suspect there's acknowledgement between them that they need to work together to accomplish something. Earth needs to do and materialize, while Water must have structure to flow in an effective manner (and not be destructive).

You have the same elemental singletons as I do and may need to find ways to make those planets work in your favor. I suspect you feel uncomfortable with the singletons, as I did with mine because singletons are hard to control. But I've learned to work with mine (exact sextile between them), so you can too.

Interesting. I don't have an aspect between my Merc and Saturn unfortunately, but it's true that Water and Earth are the two elements I feel least comfortable with. Either the energy they represent is totally nonexistent or, when I try to engage them, I easily go overboard--I can get obsessed to the point of anxiety with making sure everything's in order and that I'm working towards my goals (earth)--or I'm completely lazy and irresponsible. I can spend hours and hours daydreaming (water Merc, I think)--or I'm only focused on what's right in front of me. It $ucks because Earth and Water are supposed to be compatible elements but it doesn't seem like they are at all. Saturn/Cap's goal-oriented energy feels very antithetical to Piscean wandering. If anything, I think I'd be better off with a Fire/Water singleton mixture or Earth/Air.

May28, I think you mentioned in another thread that you handle your singletons by doing something productive (Earth) with your emotions (Water)? Is that right? If so, that's a good idea, and I'll have to give it a shot! All the more reason to try and get into filmmaking, I suppose.

M

may28gemini

Interesting. I don't have an aspect between my Merc and Saturn unfortunately, but it's true that Water and Earth are the two elements I feel least comfortable with. Either the energy they represent is totally nonexistent or, when I try to engage them, I easily go overboard--I can get obsessed to the point of anxiety with making sure everything's in order and that I'm working towards my goals (earth)--or I'm completely lazy and irresponsible. I can spend hours and hours daydreaming (water Merc, I think)--or I'm only focused on what's right in front of me. It $ucks because Earth and Water are supposed to be compatible elements but it doesn't seem like they are at all. Saturn/Cap's goal-oriented energy feels very antithetical to Piscean wandering. If anything, I think I'd be better off with a Fire/Water singleton mixture or Earth/Air.
Mercury is an inferior/dependent planet, which means it's easily colored by the superior planets. The superior planets are Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn which means they all have the power to drastically modify the inferior planets and aspects would give it the most personal and direct way of modification.

Since you do not have an aspect between your Mercury and Saturn singletons, it will be harder for Mercury to receive any assistance from Saturn, esp. since Mercury is in a debilitated state and Saturn is domiciled. Saturn recognizes it can assist Mercury but being that there's no direct relationship (aspect), there isn't much communication, but only recognition.

There is symbiosis between the elements of Earth and Water because Earth helps Water by giving structure/direction to flow, while Water gives Earth the needed resources to be functional. There is recognition between the signs of those elements that they can work together, even if there's no aspect... but it will require a lot of effort on your part to make those planets work in your favor, otherwise, the singletons are on their own without any sort of assistance/support.

I suppose, you'll have to really crack the whip on your Mercury to "create" a bridge to Saturn, if you want to reap more of the rewards of getting Earth to give purpose to Water.

Since your Saturn is a singleton, I suspect that you'd learn to get "comfortable" with Earth Saturn's energy during your return in about 4 years. People don't really get comfortable with Saturn (as a general thing) until they are "forced" to, not even those with dignified, angular Saturns (like you and I).

May28, I think you mentioned in another thread that you handle your singletons by doing something productive (Earth) with your emotions (Water)? Is that right? If so, that's a good idea, and I'll have to give it a shot! All the more reason to try and get into filmmaking, I suppose.
Yes, I mentioned that in my first post on this thread.

Our case is interesting in the sense we kinda have things in reverse. We both have Earth and Water singletons with one in a superior planet and one in an inferior planet. However, your superior singleton planet is domiciled, whereas my superior planet is corrupted. Your inferior planet is corrupted, whereas my inferior planet is a friend to both domiciled and exalted versions of it. Your singletons don't aspect so you'd have to put some effort in forging ties between them, whereas my singletons have an exact aspect which means, for better or worse LOL, they are tied together.

I have Earth Mars and Water Moon. In general, Earth in Mars is the most productive element for Mars as that cools Mars' naturally choleric state and adds practicality, whereas Water for Moon is the correct element for the Moon but it requires a LOT of discipline to control emotions. The signs recognize that they can work together to accomplish something, and as an added level of assistance, Mars and Moon sextile exactly, which gives me a better sense of conscious control. My temper is controlled, via productivity, and my Moon is very expressive when it comes to any sort of action. The thing I cannot really control is that Pisces Moon is extremely hard to contain. Then there's the issue with my superior planet who's supposed to be in charge of the whole operation and it's corrupted, so there will be times when there's stuff that explodes more than expected/normal. The combo shows that there are times when my emotional expressions can appear like I'm crazy and I'm exploding, when in reality, my normally placid Mars has it all under practical control.

Last edited:

Phoenix Venus

Any planet making a close aspect (applying none the less) to the ascendant is very personal. The ascendant is one of the most personal points in the natal chart and the building block of the entire natal chart.

Hey p.val! Hope everything is going good with you :love:

Anyway I tend to think that all outer planets should be considered. Sure, they are "generational", but they touch each individuals chart in a personal way. (that would be like saying that because 1/12 of the population has sun in a certain sign, the influence of the sun is negated...)

I have a neptune earth singleton. It's in the third house, sextiling the ascendant.

I take it to mean.... in order to ground myself, can't put my head in the clouds, gotta float up above them. :tongue:

M

may28gemini

The Sun is the centre, he is King, God, and therefore, individual existence starts with the Sun. On the opposing side is Saturn who represents self-discipline, who is concerned with boundaries, as Saturn represents the outer most limit as far as how the individual is in control of their existence/ego.

Planets from Sun to Saturn are conscious, personal energies. The self can reason and achieve understanding from Sun to Saturn and by which, that means there's is some level of control. What lies beyond Saturn is out of reach and vague because outer planets are representative of what is outside of the ego's control. The self has difficulties in understanding and integrating what it cannot control.

Yes, the angles are personal and the AC is the most powerful angle there is, but having a vague planet near the angle would not mean that the individual understands the energy or know how to utilitize it, well, simply because it's a vague planet. You may think you understand it and know how to manipulate it but outer planets are generational and sweep up large amounts of people for a reason: it's representative of collective movements/sentiments and is not meant to be reasoned with and is NOT personal (which is what natal charts focuses on).

Anyway I tend to think that all outer planets should be considered. Sure, they are "generational", but they touch each individuals chart in a personal way. (that would be like saying that because 1/12 of the population has sun in a certain sign, the influence of the sun is negated...)
[deleted attacking comment - Moderator] Yes, there are many people with the same Sun sign but the Sun is the centre, is personal and is representative of the ego and vitality of the individual. Those who have the same Sun quickly and personally recognize similarities in each other, which shows consciousness.

Outer planets are vague, unreasonable and not easily identifiable, even on an angle. Pluto can last 30 years in the same sign and last many months on end, even years at the same degree. Neptune lasts up to about 15 years? Uranus stays in the same sign around 8 years. If you take ALL the people from the same generational sign, you're not to going to find that the majority will identify with each other on any great level of understanding, at best in a generic and collective way. Hence the reason it's called GENERATIONAL as in it's NOT personally driven/oriented and meant to be sweeping.

So what would it mean when someone has an outer planet on an angle? That the person would more readily identify with vague, collective movements of their generation and void of any sort of personal backbone?

Last edited by a moderator:

opiumchild

I have Neptune singleton as my only Earth planet (Capricorn), and it is also retrograde in the 3rd house (squared by Mars and ASC/DSC, conjunct IC/opposite MC, and biquintile Mercury and Jupiter). My 3rd house also has Saturn retrograde conjunct Uranus retrograde.

I was curious if anyone had any information on a planet being both retrograde and singleton?

I also have Pluto as singleton in water (Scorpio) if planets only count (North node in Pisces and Chiron in cancer so I'm not sure whether or not to consider it singleton)

I also have 6 planets in fire.

As far as if i notice them or not... I would say I do.

My Pluto is in my 1st house so its already pretty dominant, it is in its natural sign of Scorpio, and it squares my sun in Leo. It also quincunxes my Mars in Aries. All of which are pretty dominant in their natural signs. I have a lot of issues with expressing my intensity and dominance. I've had to learn how to not be a control freak for much of my life though its not apparent to others that i can be this way. Even though i have a predominance of fire, most people tend to see me as a water sign.

With my Neptune its a bit harder to explain. I often gets confused in social situations, I "pick up" on clues to whats really going on inside a person vs. what they are actively saying, and so sometimes I can't tell the difference between what is real or imagined. I have tons of direction but nowhere to focus if that makes any sense. There are things that i very very much want to do, but figuring out where to start or go to is very difficult for me. I have no need for practical things, and am often referred to as being "out-of-it" and too "daydreamy", people expect me to be spacey most of the time.

Last edited:

ScorpioCrow

Yep.

Venus in Capricorn conjunct AC (only earth planet)

Not bragging, but many people have told me "you're so gorgeous". And I'm a huge romantic. Would be more affectionate if I weren't SINGLE (Saturn in Aries square Venus). My main talents lie in the arts, too - it has been said that the planet closest to the AC denotes vocation/likely job.