Need help with triplicities, Don't understand!!

Joseph Ledzion

Triplicities were used by the Hellenistic astrologers. Hellenistic astrology appears to be the most advanced form of astrology, requiring little intuition on part of the Artist. It was developed 300 B.C.E. - 100 A.D. The technique was mostly lost by the time the Medieval period arrived, and thus into this modern age, this form of Essential Rulership is still lost to most.

Nevertheless, Triplicities are actually, because of their essential nature, such an important and fundament concept to that I promise you -- once you learn this technique you will be able to make predictions that are more accurate than ever before.

Just as an overview, there are 5 forms of rulership for any Planet in the horoscope, and these 5 forms of rulership are based on the Celestial Longitude (a fancy way of saying degree) in the Zodiac. Rulership shows the Essential Dignity of a planet. The word planet, in Greek, means "wanderer." When a planet is found in any of its dignities, it is strengthened. Most people learning astrology are only aware of the 2 first forms of rulership, listed below:

5 - Domicile (aka Sign)
4 - Exaltation
3 - Triplicity (aka Trigon)
2 - Term
1 - Face (aka Decan).

These are the 5 modes of rulership that there are. The phonetic of domicile is: dough-ma-sigh-el. Each one of these forms of rulership has a specific function in the horoscope. Today, we are looking at Triplicities.

Triplicities are used to determine how a person's life will favor. Will they experience success? Will life be difficult? These questions are the fundamental yearnings found within people's heart and souls, and Triplicities Lords are the fundamental rulers of the Elements. In order to assess the condition of a person's life (will they be Queen or a lowly beggar?), the ancient Hellenistic authors Dorotheus and Valens tell us to begin by observing the Luminary in charge of the chart. People are governed by either the Sun, or the Moon, depending on what time they were born.

This is called Sect.

It has been lost to modern astrology. But understanding Sect is crucial to understanding the heart of astrology!

It is simple to discover the Sect of any chart.

If the Sun is below the horizon--the ascendant/descendant axis--then the Moon is the Luminary in charge of the chart. The sect is Nocturnal. Theoretically, this is because the light of the Sun is gone from view, and so it cannot perform. And so of course when the Sun is above the horizon, the Sun is the Luminary in charge of the chart, and the Sect is Diurnal (day). That's all that Sect is -- day or night.

You'll notice that the concept of Sect implies that there is an inherent division. There is. Which ever Luminary is in charge is the more powerful of the two, and directs the native's actions. This planet is a person's inner guiding light, is that which leads them to wisdom, is their motivating voice and command which has the power to make decisions. In life, all the decisions which are made by individuals are based on the Sect of their chart, spurting from either the qualities of the Moon, or the Sun. This is where it all starts. Sect is based on the idea of masculinity and femininity, and it literally gives a government to one of these planets, and their instinctive principles.

Besides the Sun and Moon, there are different corresponding planets which co-rule the Sect, as well. For the Diurnal (day) Sect and Nocturnal (night) Sect, there are two sets of planets that carry out the decisions of the Luminary in charge, like servants do. The Diurnal Sect, uses Jupiter and Saturn to perform what is born from the inspiration of the Sun. The Nocturnal Sect uses Venus and Mars to perform the what the Moon feels it needs.

And so, if you were born at night time, the Sun isn't quite as important as you might have otherwise thought!

The final piece of Sect is to simply look at the Luminary, and the planets ruling the Sect. The Sun, Jupiter and Saturn perform best when above the horizon, and it is considered to harmful to be ruled by the Sun, but having the co-rulers placed in the wrong sect! And the same with the Nocturnal Sect. If you are born with the Sun even a hair below the horizon, the Moon is in power, and you want the Moon, Venus and Mars under the horizon, where they perform best.

To have the Diurnal Planets in Masculine Signs (aries, gemini, leo, libra, sagittarius, aquarius) and in the proper sect, meaning above the horizon, then these planets are granted the term Hayz, and are operating at full dignity! Same thing reverse for nocturnal, you want this sect in feminine signs and below the horizon. If they are also in their Domicile or Exaltation, wow, you're onto something!

Once Sect is understood, then the next thing to do is to look at the Triplicity Ruler of whatever Luminary is in charge. So we consult the chart below, which tells us this information.

trips-1.gif

Triplicities Lords are the planets which the ancients assigned to rule each group of the Elements. They were very careful in electing them, and I suggest researching it further than we will here, to discover why the planets were chosen.

tripsandquads-1.jpg

The Fire, Earth, Air and Water Trigons each have their own set of rulers. Reading the "Day Rulers" column left to right, the Fire Trigon's Day Ruler is the Sun, and then the Night Ruler is Jupiter. Saturn is the Participating Ruler. Do you see how the "Night Rulers" column is the exact same as the day one, except that the planets are just reversed? The Participating Planet always stays the same.

This table is sort of ambiguous, so I will just list them, to be clear.

Fire Trigon = Day Ruler - Sun, Night Ruler - Jupiter
Earth Trigon = Day Ruler - Venus, Night Ruler - Moon
Air Trigon = Day Ruler - Saturn, Night Ruler - Mercury
Water Trigon = Day Ruler - Venus, Night Ruler - Mars

Actually, I wouldn't even worry about the participating ruler until later, once you're attempting to perfect the whole thing. Quite simply, the participating ruler watches over the other two Lords when they're in power, adding support. Eventually, you'll want to really consider that, but when we are just beginning, I feel that it's okay to breeze over; we'll return in time.

Okay. The most important one of the rulers of these Trigon Lords, is the one that rules your Sect Luminary. If you are of the Diurnal Sect, then use the Day Ruler of the Element your Luminary is in. If you are of the Nocturnal Sect, then the use the Night Ruler of the Element your Luminary is in.

Did you follow that? Look at the Element your Luminary is in. Fire, Earth, Air or Water. And then if you were born at night or during the day, use the night ruler or day ruler to match.

Now we're getting somewhere!

So if you are a Day Birth, it is theoretically best to have the Sun in a Fire sign, according to the table. If for example, the Sun is in a Fire sign, and it is not harmed by the malefic planets, and let's say its placed in the 10th house, and we see that it is in good condition, then according to what the Hellenistic's discovered about these Triplicities -- the first part of life will be great.

The first part of life. Hold that italic thought.

If you are a Nocturnal birth, ruled by the Moon Light, the tables tells us that it is strongest if you have your Moon in an Earth Sign. And so having the Moon in Taurus in the 4th house, sextile its Domicile Ruler, Venus, would indicate an extremely fortunate situation growing up, and a loving mother or father. This, as long as there are not other indicators in the horoscope telling us different.

Do you see how this works?

By looking at the Trigon Lord of the Sun or the Moon (which ever you are ruled by according to Sect) and the quality of the corresponding Day or Night ruler, the 1st part of life is determined. Later in life, the other ruler will become active.

If the 1st Trigon Lord is well placed, then quite simply, life will be good. If it is not well placed, then the native will suffer. Depending on the nature of the affliction, a certain measure of unpleasantness can be expected. Without using these Triplicities, you'd never know, you could only guess. That *****!

What's fascinating is that if a person has their First Trigon Lord in bad shape, yet their Second Trigon Lord is in fantastic shape, then they will literally have the ability to turn their lives around for the better once they switch. A person can go from zero to Hero, using Triplicities!

Likewise, when we go to our 20 year High School Reunion, and we see the people who were very successful back then, as the total opposite as you imagined them to be, then, perhaps we can draw the conclusion that Triplicities had something to do with this!

This technique is incredibly accurate, try it with Kings and beggars alike, and see how it tells the fortunes of such people.

Before moving onto an example, we must indicate what to look for in determining if the Triplicity Lord is in fact well placed in the chart, or not. This is called Accidental Dignity. It may seem obvious to the affluent student of astrology, but going over these rules is necessary to create a complete description of the technique of Triplicities. What makes a planet well placed in a chart?

Most importantly, we want the planet to be in an Angular House, because the Angles are where planets are the strongest. For a Diurnal Sect, the strength of the houses is as follows: the 1st, 10th, 11th, 7th then 9th. You want the Diurnal Triplicity Lords placed in these houses. These are the happy and fortunate places, and this applies in all of astrology. You can't go wrong here!

The next thing to consider in regards to the strength of the Triplicity Lord, is to notice if it is negatively aspected by the malefics (Saturn and Mars) or not. In any diurnal chart, negative aspects to Mars are particularly upsetting to the native, causing rash behavior and chaos. This is because Mars is out of Sect, and doesn't have any business upsetting the structure of the Diurnal Sect. For a nocturnal chart, when Saturn negatively aspects the Triplicity Lord, there are long delays, much sorrow and tribulations to be expected in the native's life. Again, this is because Saturn is of the opposite sect, and causes extreme misfortune when getting involved by negative aspect to the opposite sect.

Similarly, if the Triplicity Lord is placed in an unfortunate house, there will be misfortune. As well, it is not good when the Triplicity Lord is combust or retrograde. Yet this is obvious. Classically, combustion is considered the most destructive of all potential hinderances for a planet to experience, losing all its power to perform.

For a nocturnal chart, the order of the strength of the houses (I suspect) is the 1st, 4th, 2nd, 5th, and then 3rd.

This is how triplicity works, and it is very accurate. Allow me to use a personal example.

This is my chart. My Moon is in Scorpio, and I am a Nocturnal birth. Since Scorpio is a Water Sign, we know that Mars is the Triplicity Lord of my Luminary, and that Mars governs the first part of my life.

Now, looking at the condition of Mars, we will notice that we are dealing with a Malefic planet. Automatically, we see that the beginning of my life deals with hardship, because that is the job of the Malefics, they make life difficult. Then, we will realize that Mars is in Taurus (detriment). This is not good. So far things are off to a bad start. A planet in detriment is full of bad energy. Next, we will figure out that Mars is under the beams of the Sun, within 17*. The is bad. The worst possible hinderance for a planet in all of astrology is for it to be combust, which is within 8* within the Sun. Yikes! And finally, we notice that Mars is placed on the IC, giving it is a very powerful influence over chart, because Angular planets seek immediate expression, for better or worse. In this case, for worse.

So Mars is in terrible shape, and because it is conjunct the IC, this influence is extremely overbearing. The IC is associated with "the window to the soul" and thus you can say that this window was metaphorically blocked by warriors that I had to either kill, or be killed. Is it any wonder why I threw knives to the floor? (Mars rules knives) Is it any wonder that I loved martial arts, although was denied permission by my mother to participate? (Mars is the Dispositor of the Moon in Scorpio. The Opposition is very Malefic. Moon in Scorpio is very Malefic. Mars in Taurus, as we know, is very Malefic, in my chart.)

Indeed, as the Triplicity Lord suggests, the first part of my life was extremely difficult. I lived upon a true battle ground. This battle ground existed because of Triplicities. It had to manifest somehow. And so, everyday, I fought an extremely powerful force that tugged at my soul. As a teenager, suicide was not out of the question, nor was sex at a young age (Mars and the IC are in the 5th Whole Sign House, the this house rules over having fun with young people). This would continue for many years, until the next Triplicity Lord took over, which happens to be Venus. Venus is a much better Triplicity Lord than Mars!

So the first ruler is Mars, the second ruler is Venus.

Do you see?

This is because I was born at night, and so we start with the Night ruler of my Luminary, which is in a Water sign.

The second part of your life will be governed by the other Triplicity Lord. While the Participating Ruler watches everything and keeps the balance.

This is the reason why people's life's are able to turn around, for better or worse! Triplicities Rulership periods! The expression "from zero to hero," and vice versa, is definitely a Triplicity Lord type of statement, in the Hellenistic sense !

For fun and for another example, let's imagine that I was born with the Sun in Leo, right around noon. This is one of the most fortunate qualities to be found in a nativity! Why? Because the Sun is in its own sign (domicile) in Leo, and during the day, the Triplicity Lord for the Fire Signs is the Sun. The Sun is placed in the 10th house is a position of authority, giving the ability to command others and really be in charge. As long as there are no negative aspects to the Sun, I would be very happy and successful in life, extremely fortunate and strong, in a position to achieve much. People would look up to me and I would have command of them. What a guy I would be then!!

Now, here's where it gets interesting. How's the second Triplicity Lord? How's the second part of life looking?

Eventually, the first Triplicity Lord, the Sun, will stop shining, so to speak, and then the second Lord will take over. Now, this isn't the Participating Ruler. That planet just watches over everything, and gives support to the efforts. It's pretty simple to understand how, generally, the Participating Ruler can provide help and aid to the efforts of the Trigon Lord if it is well placed, or hinder if it is not well placed.

How do we know when the next period begins? Well, it is hard to say, even for the best of astrologers.

The time it takes for the Circular Period to end, or when the next Trigon Lord Phase begins, is generally a full Saturn Cycle, or 29.45 years. There are more complex rules, but you can estimate using this simple method.

If the Trigon Lord, by Primary Direction, reaches any of the Angles, it is said that the period switches.

What seemed to switch the Trigon Lords for me, was when my Sun by Primary Direction reached the sign of Gemini, entering the house which contained Venus, the next Trigon Lord, at age 25. This makes sense.

Once the other Triplicity Lord takes over, we similarly need to consider its "status." Sticking with our example of the Sun in Leo in the 10th house, the following ruler for the Fire Trigon is Jupiter. We see this on the diagram above.

Okay. For fun, let's make this 2nd half of this person's life difficult. Let's place Jupiter in the 12th house, the house of imprisonment. And let's place Saturn and Mars on either side of him. This is called besieging, and it is very cruel, let alone in the 12th house. It would be very hard to escape.

Here we would have the story of a person who started off well in life, and later in life lost everything, and probably ended up in prison or dead.

Isn't that interesting?

That's how the Hellenistic's used Triplicities.

Joseph

Last edited:

Joseph Ledzion

In terms of Medieval Horary, William Lilly, in Christian Astrology Book II, uses an interesting methodology regarding Triplicities in the following aphorism, regarding the query:

Whether a Lady have a Lover besides the Querent?

The master says,

"If either the Lord of the 7th or the Sun, be joined to the Lord of the Triplicity then Ascending, and the Sun separates from the Lord of the Ascendant, it seems that she has some friend that she loves besides the Querent."

And so Lilly implies that Triplicity may indicate another person is involved. Triplicity rulership, as we know, is not as powerful as domicile and exaltation rulers, which the querent is represented by in all instances. When in horary do we look to triplicity?

In this horary, the querent's lady is shown to be with a person other than the himself, demonstrated by the conjunction of the lady (she is shown by the Lord of the 7th) and her indicator of men (the Sun) to the Triplicity Lord of the Ascendant.

The domicile and exaltation of the Ascendant represent the querent. The Triplicity Lord of the Ascendant is not him, it is another person!

We of course look to the 1st house to show if the lady has another boyfriend, because it is the 7th from the 7th. But the domicile and exaltation rulers represent the Querent.

Thus, we use Triplicity to show another man.

For, a conjunction to the rulers of the Term and Face are not strong enough to indicate infidelity. Definitely not.

And so, in horary, Triplicity may serve to indicate another person other than the querent -- although this must be further shown in the horoscope, as such his aphorism states. Horary is super complex, and so I give warning.

Good luck ! Love you guys !!

Joseph

Last edited:

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi Joseph,
Would you mind if I posted this excellent explanation on the Education Board, in the relevant place? We could liaise about this by pm if you like.
Cheers
Lillyjgc

Joseph Ledzion

lillyjgc said:
Hi Joseph,
Would you mind if I posted this excellent explanation on the Education Board, in the relevant place? We could liaise about this by pm if you like.
Cheers
Lillyjgc

Absolutely, feel free. I would enjoy that.

Joseph Ledzion

Niplan said:
thanks i understand a bit better, sometimes i wonder if im slow or if this is just confusing.

This stuff is way complex! Anyone who is attempting to discover the secret knowledge which determines the quality of one's life is not slow! You are brilliant! A shining star if ever there were one! I promise this to you!

Give yourself a lot of credit and do not be afraid to make mistakes in life.

Astrology is like playing the violin.

If you are scared to make a sound, then you'll never develop good technique. The song must eventually play itself. You merely step out of the way.

Everyone must overcome the fear of humiliation. If you're going to make a mistake, make it a bold one! Develop your ideas and go crazy with them. There is strength in this, and trust.

Over time, your knowledge will circle the world and the truth of your concepts will be reflected back to you from the Heavens, and it will lift you off your feet.

Last edited:
Niplan said:
I am trying to understand triplicities using this;
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/triplicities.html

I get the basics, the rulers and such, but then it goes into examples and i am lost, I don't understand how to put this into practice. Does anyone have additional information that may help?

You seem to be looking a Traditional interpretations, whereas I'm a modern astrologer that uses Equal house system. Most traditional astrologer use different rules and prefer horary astrology. We have a massive forum dedicated to horary here on AW.... if that's your interest of course.

Very very simply then the 'trine' aspect of 120' = easy flowing energy. So fire to fire element = trine, air to air = trine, same for earth and water. Trines can also cause inertia, things come easy to us

Whereas the square aspects are quadruplicities which equals tension, challenge, obstacles. But we all need these to get us moving they create 'action' movement initiation.

The Quadruplicities and triplicities are just way of interpreting aspects, which is just maths. So don't get hung up about these just look more deeply into what the 'aspect' means rather than the whole triplicities thing....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

lillyjgc

Just to clarify, astrologer50, traditional astrologers are often also Natal astrologers. Traditional practice is certainly not limited to horary astrology. I am one such being.There are others.:)
Lillyjgc

hermetic

Joseph, what a great post! thank you so much for having patience to type all that, it was really worthy read, and explained many things.
I just used this approach on several charts and it explains them all; I am so glad I opened this thread :)

hiimnotcool

I use mainly Hellenistic technique too. After you get the Trigon lords out of the way to determine the natives status, you get into the Lot's.

Joseph that was VERY thorough and insightful for people who aren't quite familiar. Good work.

I got unlucky with my chart :p 3 really well placed Trigons (Nocturnal Birth)

Moon in 11th/Pisces
Mars in 4th/Leo
Venus in 4th/Leo

Unfortunately-Mars is squared by Saturn from the 7th by 1 degree. It's quite a shame.

Joseph Ledzion

hermetic said:
Joseph, what a great post! thank you so much for having patience to type all that, it was really worthy read, and explained many things.
I just used this approach on several charts and it explains them all; I am so glad I opened this thread :)

Triplicities are powerful. It is no wonder they were lost to modern astrologers, who, sadly, have distorted so much in astrology. I am happy that you are able to immediately put them into use, and see them working.

At the suggestion of Lillyjgc, this post is going to be moved, and continued in a place where it is available on a more obvious contingency (although I do not consider this to be "basic astrology" per say; nor do I endorse teaching anything except the Ptolemaic Angles, especially to beginners, as does the thread in which this is to be posted).

As far as when the next Triplicity Lord takes over, and shifts the theoretical Gear of native's life, I believe one method, taught by Valens in book 4 of Anthology, involves Primary Directions.

If I am correct, the next period begins when the current Trigon Lord reaches, by Solar Arc, an Angle. Any angle, the first one it hits. I have found this accurate so far, although I am positive there is more to it.

Classical astrology is complex, and it takes a brave soul to dive into the depths! Yeah?

I will give an example in the new thread.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12556

Last edited:

hiimnotcool

Joseph Ledzion said:
Triplicities are powerful. It is no wonder they were lost to modern astrologers, who, sadly, have distorted so much in astrology. I am happy that you are able to immediately put them into use, and see them working.

At the suggestion of Lillyjgc, this post is going to be moved, and continued in a place where it is available on a more obvious contingency (although I do not consider this to be "basic astrology" per say; nor do I endorse teaching anything except the Ptolemaic Angles, especially to beginners, as does the thread in which this is to be posted).

As far as when the next Triplicity Lord takes over, and shifts the theoretical Gear of native's life, I believe one method, taught by Valens in book 4 of Anthology, involves Primary Directions.

If I am correct, the next period begins when the current Trigon Lord reaches, by Solar Arc, an Angle. Any angle, the first one it hits. I have found this accurate so far, although I am positive there is more to it.

Classical astrology is complex, and it takes a brave soul to dive into the depths! Yeah?

I will give an example in the new thread.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12556

Well, that isn't how the trigon lord changes over. Each one is given a certain number of years. How to determine whether the years the Trigon is allotted is good or bad can be determined by the placement of the Trigon itself. Cadent=bad time, Succedent=pretty decent time, Angular=Good time.

The years are as follows:
Time periods:

Sun-19 years
Moon-25 years
Mercury-20 years
Venus-8 years
Mars-15 years
Jupiter-12 years
*Saturn (Capricorn)-27 years
(Aquarius)- 30 years

So for you, Mars ruled the first 15. When you turned 15 Venus took over until you were 23. Then all 3 trigons co-operate equally.

Your strength of houses was also a bit off. 1, 10, 7, 4, 11, 5 would be the best houses in that order. Though it has been mentioned that Valens and some others considered the 11th to be even better than the 10th at some points. Interesting stuff.

Joseph Ledzion

hiimnotcool said:
Well, that isn't how the trigon lord changes over. Each one is given a certain number of years. How to determine whether the years the Trigon is allotted is good or bad can be determined by the placement of the Trigon itself. Cadent=bad time, Succedent=pretty decent time, Angular=Good time.

Time periods:

Sun-19 years
Moon-25 years
Mercury-20 years
Venus-8 years
Mars-15 years
Jupiter-12 years
(Aquarius)- 30 years

So for you, Mars ruled the first 15. When you turned 15 Venus took over until you were 23. Then all 3 trigons co-operate equally.

Your strength of houses was also a bit off. 1, 10, 7, 4, 11, 5 would be the best houses in that order. Though it has been mentioned that Valens and some others considered the 11th to be even better than the 10th at some points. Interesting stuff.

1, 10, 11, 7, 9 for the Diurnal Planets, my brother. They need to be above the horizon, so as well it should be pointed out that whereever in the first house the Ascendant (a horoscopic point) falls, the planets must be more elevated than this point. I remember not who I paraphrase in doing so, but some ancient author, so I reckon, says so much in regards to the orders of the houses. I will discover and return with the source, of which I am sure I am correct. Your strength is my strength and likewise mine is yours, and so it is we who are joined in knowledge, and I have no strength without you. In what you think is right is yours, but only if another door for knowledge remains open. My sanguine brother how little must you have meant by strength while addressing a Capricorn/Scorpio (me)!

Yes, the 11th has been considered by some centuries old men to be in a better position than the 10th, because the 10th is able only to descend onwards from its pinnacle, but in the 11th the treasure of Kings and the Gifts of Heaven are most fortunately bestowed, and 11th place continues to rise in power, ascending into the 10th. Most fortunate indeed! Here, Jupiter does Joy. So much joy there must be. As well, the 11th makes an aspect "not indifferent to the Ascendant." -- Maternus

It is for that reason that the 11th, called the House of Good Spirit, is placed accordingly in a more powerful position than the 7th, who is Angular. Valens and others have stated that a malefic in the 11th has not the power to harm. That's quite a statement, I make from personal grounds (having radical Saturn in 11).

As well, the setting place, the 7th, is often considered weak by many authors as well, this idea constituted by premise of the opposition to the Ascendant, who is the bestower of life, and then because soon the descent into the lowly 6th!

I just finished editing (almost) that article thing, so I can appropriately post it for educational purposes, if you'd like to go over it, since you're familiar with Valens etc.

However, I've still found interesting results when the 1st Trigon Lord reaches an angle, as you can imagine my good fellow !

Joseph

Last edited:

Niplan

Banned
Time periods:

Sun-19 years
Moon-25 years
Mercury-20 years
Venus-8 years
Mars-15 years
Jupiter-12 years
(Aquarius)- 30 years

Can you explain how you went from planets, into signs? I don't understand how aquarius is 30 years.

lillyjgc

Hi-Just to clarify-we aren't going to move this thread...we can continue the discussion here. We do want though, to transfer the contents of this post to the Ed Board, in a slightly different format.
I sent you a link Joseph but that was a suggestion-if you browse through what's on the Ed Board already maybe you can suggest a better place for us to post this info there...
Normally we'd just start a new thread there but we're trying to organise the info into Chapters so there aren't hundreds of threads on the Ed Board and we can keep adding to existing subject headings.We want the info to be easy to find.
This thread will be linked to Joseph's Article when he's ready.:)
Cheers,
Lillyjgc

Joseph Ledzion

There is no way that I'm using those planetary terms to mark the phases of life.

15 years is not enough to learn anything! The phases must last longer than that. My First Trigon Period definitely did not end so soon, there is no way. I never felt right about what "hiimnotcool" said, and I researched into it more.

I'm poor at quoting my sources, but I believe it is Dorotheus (who else?) who says that the first 1/3 of a person's life is 30 years, also known as a Saturn Cycle.

I read in Valens about the Trigon Lord reaching the Angle, especially if it is around this time.

Robert Hand says the rules are very complex for judging when a Trigon period ends, and that the software Delphi Oracle is the best way to figure it out. Otherwise, assume the Saturn cycle.

I don't know where the following came from, but I have written in my notebook "planets in their exaltations receive 20 years for the circular period." and that "planets in detriment receive 1/2 the alloted time."

Also, pretty much all the classical authors have their own opinion about the strength of the houses. Today I just read the opinion of Firmicus Maternus who says the order of strength is: 1, 10, 11, 5, 7, 4, 9. And in order of the worst 12, 6 (by far); 3 (because it is the joy of the moon he says.. ? ..), 2, 8. That dude is weird.

Joseph