Human existence: the gender of God

waybread

Just to return to the thread topic. I have a lot of interest in the history of western religions and astrology. It does matter. But out of this interest and my studies, several points are really clear to me.

I don't think the Bible was divinely written. Divinely inspired, OK. But there is an interesting history to the question of who wrote the Bible, accessed through the field called Biblical criticism. This doesn't mean criticizing the Bible as in condemning it. It means analyzing it as a philologist. (Basically someone who studies the historical development of languages.) When philologists examined the Bible using their linguistic tools, they found distinctly different writing styles, that often corresponding to different and sometimes contradictory reports of events. (Starting with Genesis 1 vs. Genesis 2. Cf. also the different nativity accounts in the Gospels. Or looking at the different words used for God.) So we understand the Bible (literally "library") to be a composite from different people who had different customs and agendas.

Spirit and faith have a universal quality to them (omnipresence) but ordinary human beings can access them only through our own time, place, and attendant cultures. Ancient gods were understood in anthropomorphized form throughout the ancient Near East and Mediterranean regions. (Even with the Egyptian animal-headed gods, who behaved like powerful humans.) If ancient societies were rigidly patriarchal, that's how they understood deities to behave. It's like water itself has no particular form, but it takes on the form of its vessel.

The God who created the universe cannot be confined by humans' limited understandings, rules, and doctrines. As God is of our time and all times, our understandings cannot possibly be constrained by those of Iron Age people living lives we can barely imagine with any accuracy. Nor could they have imagined our lives.

Worshippers today may joyfully partake of the age-old traditions of their faiths, but they don't live in those worlds of the past and cannot be constrained by them.

My personal belief-- which need not be anyone else's-- is that God by any name is an all pervasive Divine Consciousness or Divine Presence. However, human beings, limited as we are desire more human-like understandable forms that mirror our own cultures.

Just for example, the Bible talks about slavery as the norm, and a patriarch (Judah) ordering his daughter-in-law to be burned as his right, but we don't live in those worlds today. There is no Caesar, for example. So already we pick and choose what beliefs to follow and which ones to ignore based upon our time and place.

waybread

The name of Paul was Shaul (like the King Shaul), not Saul - Greeks can't pronounce the -sh sound, so the LXX and New Testament transliterated them to Saul (with -os at the end for masculine names in some places). The same was true for Iesous. When the apostles were talking to Jews, they probably pronounced their names as Shaul and Yeshua.

The ancient Greek word for sun, helios, is different than the Latin word sol.

waybread

The Bible imagined our lives from yesterday, today and tomorrow as it prophesies about them, and prophecy comes from God.

The Bible is a book. It is not an animate sentient being such that you can correctly use active verbs to suggest that it "imagines" or "speaks." Your belief is extra-biblical. What is its source?

petosiris

Banned
The Bible is a book. It is not an animate sentient being such that you can correctly use active verbs to suggest that it "imagines" or "speaks." Your belief is extra-biblical. What is its source?

''For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.'' - Hebrews 4:12-13

petosiris

Banned
In Latin, "Paul" is from the word for "small".

Yes, ''Paul'' was the Roman name of the apostle who identified himself as ''the chief of sinners'', ''less than the least of all the saints'', ''the least of the apostles'' and ''untimely born'', because he persecuted ''the Way even to death''. If you are familiar with the Hebrew Scriptures you would know that no name's meaning is ever accidental.

Last edited:

leomoon

Can you cite your source, David? Roman society had slaves who had to work all the time with no day of rest, poor free people who probably had to work most of the time, and a small percentage pf wealthy people who didn't work at any time unless they got some kind of political appointment. Estimates are hard to come by but slaves probably constituted about 35% of the population. The elites were probably about 1 percent. Everyone else would range from wealthy to the point of joining the leisure class but not patrician, to menial laborers.

I get Christians having designated weekly holy days, in part as an adaptation of the Jewish sabbath. It's interesting that Sunday=the sun's day. We get glimmers of something solar going on with Saul (Sol) changing his name to Paul (Apollo) but telling the early Christians not to worship him.

This post in bold face, reminded me of today's world, both in monarchies and especially in the U.S.A. because of the worker-bees who must support the top tier of 1-5%?

Names change, but people seldom do. Same old same old. I went to see both Herculaneum on a cruise years ago and chose here instead of Pompei. As it turned out, it was most informative. You got to see how the "rich" lived, just like today on the seashores or would vacation there in their summer homes. How nice. Herculeneum is an entire town with stores, exposed lead pipes in the once thriving streets; lovely mosaics in their homes of course. And the slaves who catered to them when they were in town. On our next and last cruise we took about 2 years later to Italy, we decided to go to Pompeii this time. Its all rather fascinating history. The Italian people STILL built their homes all over that same unstable volcanic mountain. The govt told them not to and it was against the law, but they put them up anyway. The govt. decided to let them stay put. :rightful:

In researching for a book about the Essenes I wrote on Kindle, I found that Pliny the Elder, died there trying to save one of his best friends while he was vacationing at the seaside when Pompeii suddenly without warning erupted. Because of this, the entire town and all its people were buried in mud and ash from the fire and volcano, which went all the way down, past Pompeii and into the sea. It was truly a heroic act trying to save people.

Must have been a horrible way to die, so hopefully they didn't suffer and did not even know what hit them.

The Pliny mystery

Just before his death, Pliny — also known as Gaius Plinius Secundus, a military leader and author of the influential tome "Natural History" — was fighting pirates in the Bay of Naples, according to Encyclopedia Britannica. When he saw a strange cloud (later found to be the result of the volcano's massive eruption), he heroically directed Rome's imperial fleet southward to Pompeii, where they planned to rescue survivors.
The mission was Pliny’s last. Upon arriving in Pompeii, Pliny was overtaken by volcanic fumes and died on the shores of Stabiae, an ancient Roman town near the volcano. His body, never properly buried, was lost to the ages.

As for the skull's owner, it's possible it belonged to Pliny; it was from an Italian-Roman person of about 56 years of age, and it was buried wearing riches, Cionci noted.

https://www.livescience.com/pliny-the-elder-skull-mount-vesuvius.html

note: Stabiae is the same as Herculaneum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_the_Elder

from Wiki: (the death of Pliny the Elder):
He was stationed at Misenum, at the time of the great eruption of Mount Vesuvius, which destroyed and buried Pompeii and Herculaneum. He was preparing to cross the Bay of Naples to observe the phenomenon directly when a message arrived from his friend Rectina asking to rescue Pomponianus and her. Launching the galleys under his command to the evacuation of the opposite shore, he himself took "a fast-sailing cutter", a decision that may have cost him his life. His nephew, Pliny the Younger, provided an account of his death, obtained from the survivors. The nephew and his mother had decided not to go on the voyage across the bay. As the light vessel approached the shore near Herculaneum, cinders and pumice began to fall on it. Pliny's helmsman advised turning back, to which Pliny replied, "Fortune favours the brave; steer to where Pomponianus is."
They landed and found Pomponianus "in the greatest consternation." Pliny hugged and comforted him. They could not find Rectina. They loaded the cutter, but the same winds that brought it to Stabiae prevented it from leaving. Pliny reassured his party by feasting, bathing, and sleeping while waiting for the wind to abate, but finally they had to leave the buildings for fear of collapse and try their luck in the pumice fall. Pliny sat down and could not get up even with assistance, and was left behind. His companions theorized that he collapsed and died through inhaling poisonous gases emitted from the volcano. On their return two days later after the plume had dispersed, his body was found under the pumice with no apparent external injuries. The problem with the toxicity theory is that his companions were unaffected by the same fumes, and they had no mobility problems, whereas Pliny had to sit and could not rise. As he is described as a corpulent man,who also suffered from asthma, his friends are thought to have left him because he was already dead

We traveled a lot, including to Turkey when my daughter was lost to us. From these travels, we saw some terrific Roman ruins in Turkey, even better imo then Rome or Italy. One thing about the rich is there were statues (I suppose marble or a whitish looking stone) in one museum in a town near the Med; we saw how the Romans upon death of the well off and well placed, took a already created torso statue and put their newly created "head" of the dead person, both men & women.

I suppose its like a long obituary today would be for those who can afford an entire page. :crying: Whether the heads stayed on, I can't recall, because of course there were others I"m sure who came after them needing a Torso to commemorate their life. :w00t:

leomoon

Yes, ''Paul'' was the Roman name of the apostle who identified himself as ''the chief of sinners'', ''less than the least of all the saints'', ''the least of the apostles'' and ''untimely born'', because he persecuted ''the Way even to death''. If you are familiar with the Hebrew Scriptures you would know that no name's meaning is ever accidental.

IF travel opens back up, and is affordable ever again, you would love a cruise to Turkey and Greece. I never went to Greece (the border country as you know), but Turkey has Ephesus they offer on most Greek tour ships. It was truly awe inspiring to see where Paul preached near the Library there and was arrested for telling people to stop buying the silver crafted statues of the gods and goddesses. I think it was Diana's statue. They even had open air toilets for people who needed to go while the great markets where the silversmiths or crafters gathered to sell their wares and statues. I was surprised how small they were. (the statues)

A lady in the tour bus opened up her bible and showed me the passage about that event. Quite something to see.

I took a photo of Hermes as we entered into Ephesus. (below)

I know the Grecian tours also go to Patmos which we could see from the shores between the two countries. However, we did see Mary's house where John took the mother of Jesus, and the gravestone of John not too far from there.

People still hang up children's crutches inside this tiny stone house and swear their children were healed there. As with Israel's Wailing Wall, the travelers to this special site, put their prayers tucked between stones in the surrounding ancient wall.

Hermes: Click to enlarge:

waybread

I don't see the Gentile association you made with Jews of Jews.

Huh?? I'm talking about associations made by Latin-speakers, at least. You're familiar with the cult of Sol Invictus in late Roman times, and various identities attributed to St. Paul.

https://enigmose.com/apollonius_is_paul.html

The oldest known version of the Latin NT probably dates to the 3rd century CE
https://www.oxfordscholarship.com/v...44733.001.0001/acprof-9780198744733-chapter-8

This was a time when the NT was not yet entirely codified.

waybread

''For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.'' - Hebrews 4:12-13

Fair enough, but you didn't answer my question. I don't mean this in a blasphemous way, but there is a danger of fetishizing the Bible, meaning "an inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit." I get that you take the Bible literally and believe it to be the true word of God, but most people don't.

The physical Bible is a BOOK. For the most part I think it is a very wise book, but in places the Bible tells us that its meanings are hidden or allegorical. Some of it is self-contradictory. (Remember Henry VIII and levirate marriage?)

The NT wasn't canonized until the 4th century CE, and disagreements about what is in and out of the Bible persist to this day. There are differences between Protestant and Catholic Bibles, for example.

Then languages don't translate word-for-word. There is always some slippage. Sometimes translations in the same language give different messages. If you look at the Bible Gateway website, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+4:12-13&version=ASV you will see dozens of different translations. Your "to whom we must give account" is often translated as "with whom we have to do," a much softer meaning.

My German is pretty weak, but if you look at the Luther translation on the Bible Gateway site, it translates into English as "the word of God is lively and strong...it divides soul and spirit...marrow and leg, and is the judge of the thoughts and senses of hearts." The last phrase seems to mean, "of which we speak."

Sometimes these differences are inconsequential, but sometimes the meaning shift is profound, like the English translations that write out the concept of animals having souls (Hebrew nefesh, ruah.)

You might be interested in the history of the Bible as text and work of literature. You can trace how translations evolved over time, and the early disagreements about which books were canonical and which ones weren't.

Then a whole bunch of the New Testament is about love.

waybread

''The sum of Your word is truth,
And every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting.'' - Psalm 119:160

OK, but you don't really believe this. The Jewish Bible/Old Testament contains something like 613 commandments, most of which you don't practice.

waybread

Is "Paul" really equivalent to a shortened version of Apollo, "Pol", in the Greek? :cool:

In Latin, "Paul" is from the word for "small".

David, I've been posting a lot of links.

One other point I might make is that Biblical meanings were often derived from alliteration or wordplay. The names Apollo and Apollonius, readily lend themselves to an abbreviation "Pol". The name Saul means, "asked, prayed for" in Hebrew. (There's a cool website, "Behind the Name.")

To this day, and apparently in NT times, many Jews would have a Hebrew name as well as a name in the vernacular.

petosiris

Banned
OK, but you don't really believe this. The Jewish Bible/Old Testament contains something like 613 commandments, most of which you don't practice.

Your teachers count ''You shall not boil a young goat in its mother’s milk'' mentioned three times as three separate commandments - 1. Not boiling a young goat in its mother's milk, 2. Not cooking meat and milk together and 3. Not eating meat and milk together in the span of 30 minutes. It is not said in the text, but it said in your extra-biblical traditions.

I believe that all Gentiles shall be circumcised, abstain from unclean meats, offer sacrifices and worship in the Third Temple one day exactly as the prophets predicted. So I do believe his word is everlasting.

I am well familiar with how the Hebrew and Greek canons were established, with which books have been accepted from the beginning and which books were not accepted by everyone for centuries (like Esther, Hebrews, Jude, 2 Peter, 2 and 3 John, Revelation etc.). However, these books have been universally established for longer than 16 centuries and this unity is the work of God.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Fair enough, but you didn't answer my question. I don't mean this in a blasphemous way, but there is a danger of fetishizing the Bible, meaning "an inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit." I get that you take the Bible literally and believe it to be the true word of God, but most people don't.

The physical Bible is a BOOK. For the most part I think it is a very wise book, but in places the Bible tells us that its meanings are hidden or allegorical. Some of it is self-contradictory. (Remember Henry VIII and levirate marriage?)

The NT wasn't canonized until the 4th century CE, and disagreements about what is in and out of the Bible persist to this day. There are differences between Protestant and Catholic Bibles, for example.

Then languages don't translate word-for-word. There is always some slippage. Sometimes translations in the same language give different messages. If you look at the Bible Gateway website, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+4:12-13&version=ASV you will see dozens of different translations. Your "to whom we must give account" is often translated as "with whom we have to do," a much softer meaning.

My German is pretty weak, but if you look at the Luther translation on the Bible Gateway site, it translates into English as "the word of God is lively and strong...it divides soul and spirit...marrow and leg, and is the judge of the thoughts and senses of hearts." The last phrase seems to mean, "of which we speak."

Sometimes these differences are inconsequential, but sometimes the meaning shift is profound, like the English translations that write out the concept of animals having souls (Hebrew nefesh, ruah.)

You might be interested in the history of the Bible as text and work of literature. You can trace how translations evolved over time, and the early disagreements about which books were canonical and which ones weren't.

Then a whole bunch of the New Testament is about love.

Translations are not the word of God. If you can show me why a translation (being an interpretation by very nature) is wrong, I wlll surely accept your reading of the text.

waybread

Your teachers count ''You shall not boil a young goat in its mother’s milk'' mentioned three times as three separate commandments - 1. Not boiling a young goat in its mother's milk, 2. Not cooking meat and milk together and 3. Not eating meat and milk together in the span of 30 minutes. It is not said in the text, but it said in your extra-biblical traditions.

I believe that all Gentiles shall be circumcised, abstain from unclean meats, offer sacrifices and worship in the Third Temple one day exactly as the prophets predicted. So I do believe his word is everlasting.

I am well familiar with how the Hebrew and Greek canons were established, with which books have been accepted from the beginning and which books were not accepted by everyone for centuries (like Esther, Hebrews, Jude, 2 Peter, 2 and 3 John, Revelation etc.). However, these books have been universally established for longer than 16 centuries and this unity is the work of God.

Petosiris, I've asked you several times who you think "my teachers" are. Why don't you answer?

I've told you that I haven't practiced Judaism for over 20 years. (More like 26 years by now.) Why do you seem to think I do? (Or should?) I was never Orthodox, and you know that.

In our modern era, we make choices.

When I was married to my Jewish ex-husband, we did keep a kosher home. I had two sets of dishes for normal use plus a separate set for Passover. We bought kosher meat. I stopped doing this when we separated and divorced. My husband of the past 23 years is a lapsed Anglican.

Roughly half of "all Gentiles" are women. :surprised: There's nothing in Judaism about female circumcision.

There will be no "Third Temple" in our lifetime. Right now it is the site of an important mosque, the Dome of the Rock.

And which "word of God" is it? Among the 613 commandments are things like putting a fence around your roof top-- in the ancient Near East the flat roofs were used as living spaces. What about wearing fringes on the corner of your garment (tzitzit)? What about wearing tefillin on your arm and head? How often do you say the Shema?

Here's the complete list: http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm

I'm not even sure you get how "commandments" function in Judaism. The Hebrew word Mitzvot has the double meaning of good deeds.

Petosiris, you're skating on thin ice here. Remember the biblical admonitions against false prophets.

Isn't this mostly about control for you?

Had you thought of joining the Jews for Jesus?

Here's a beautiful Hebrew song for you from the Pirkei Avot (Sayings of the Fathers) that translates as, "The world depends on three things: "truth, justice, and peace." (in an alternate version, on the Torah, on good works (alternatively, on prayer or service) and on loving kindness.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otnqHD9cKNs

Another one, "Yedid nefesh": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LScOjEs1tQ Basd on Psalm 42.

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord (Psalm 100)

Last edited:

leomoon

Speaking of Constantine,thought to be the Emperor who brought Christianity to the masses in Rome:
Constantine being a pragmatic Roman, interpreted Christ as a war god, not the "prince of peace," and he apparently never truly understood the mysteries of Christianity, retaining his right to worship the pagan gods, especially the sun. He never took baptism until shortly before his death.
* * Perhaps he promised his mother, Queen Helena who he sent to Jerusalem and the surrounding land. She had a church built everywhere that this new religion i.e. Jesus now being touted, had visited or was important to those who worshiped and followed him. Churches abound here, and the Church of the Nativity is in Palestine, under the authority of the Palestinian govt.

Constantine's coinage had Sol Ivictus one side and him on another...He sounds to me like he was carefully covering his bases.

Charles Freeman questions whether or not Constantine's famous adoption of Christianity was a spiritual conversion or simply a matter of political expediency, because the suggesting evidence is that Constantine viewed the God of Christianity as being very similar to the old pagan gods, like Apollo, and this latter god was one that Constantine paid particular homage to.
Indeed, the triumphal arch of Constantine, built in 315 by the senate of Rome after his "conversion," contains reliefs of Jupiter, Mars and Hercules, and Constantine apparently associated his victory at the Milvian Bridge with the power of the sun, but no Christian symbol can be found on the structure and there is no reference to Christ; however, there are images and homage paid to Mithras, another sun god whose birthday is December 25th (Emperor's State of Grace).
Another example of the influence of this official sun worship on Christianity is:
Constantine's law of…321 [C.E] uniting Christians and pagans in the observance of the "venerable day of the sun" It is to be noted that this official solar worship, the final form of paganism in the empire…, was not the traditional Roman-Greek religion of Jupiter, Apollo, Venus, and the other Olympian deities. It was a product of the mingling Hellenistic-Oriental elements, exemplified in Aurelian's establishment of Eastern Sun worship at Rome as the official religion of the empire, and in his new temple enshrining Syrian statutes statues of Bel and the sun….

Thus at last Bel, the god of Babylon, came into the official imperial temple of Rome, the center of the imperial religion. It was this late Roman-Oriental worship of one supreme god, symbolized by the sun and absorbing lesser divinities as subordinates or manifestations of the universal deity
https://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/c/christ_constantine_sol_invictus.html

See Coins here:
Coin of Emperor Constantine I depicting Solis Invictus with the legend SOLIS INVICTO COMITI, c. 315
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus#/media/File:Follis-Constantine-lyons_RIC_VI_309.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus

I recall when we were in Egypt many years ago at the Valley of the King on a tour -and a writer of religious books & (religious man) was going to leave his wife after the trip in order to travel to Greece? and have his book edited ready for publishing. I told her I read Elaine Pagels books on Gnosticism, and recalled her saying that its doubtful Constantine ever truly converted (much as shown above) ...
I told hm or his wife, and often wondered whether or not he changed his book at the last minute since he apparently didn't realize this.
I think he was more into religion then he was history. But I also thought it would be a real shame if he misled his readers, even if unknowingly without checking first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Pagels

Last edited: