Psychology of T-squares

Wrt2lv

So, I'm interested in how people look at T-squares in natal charts psychologically. I've seen different takes on T-squares, but how it plays out psychologically (and what a native can consciously do to balance/work through once aware of it) is still a little hard to define for me.

For instance, in my chart is a T-square made by my 3rd House Taurus Moon (precisely exalted) opposed to 9th House Scorpio Pluto, both squared by 1st House Aquarius Venus. Now, the Moon-Pluto opposition I understand can indicate carefully controlled emotions, possible blocks against emotional vulnerability and potential for emotional manipulation/control (let me know if I've got that wrong or if there's something I missed).

And Pluto Square Venus, and Moon Square Venus individually have their own features. But in a T-square configuration like this with Venus the focal planet, how might one psychologically look at this configuration in a more holistic way than looking at the aspects (2 squares and opposition) separately?

I'm not looking for a personal interpretation, but just want to talk about psychology of T-squares. What does such a configuration mean for the mental/emotional development of a person?

Last edited:

katydid

So, I'm interested in how people look at T-squares in natal charts psychologically. I've seen different takes on T-squares, but how it plays out psychologically (and what a native can consciously do to balance/work through once aware of it) is still a little hard to define for me.

For instance, in my chart is a T-square made by my 3rd House Taurus Moon (precisely exalted) opposed to 9th House Scorpio Pluto, both squared by 1st House Aquarius Venus. Now, the Moon-Pluto opposition I understand can indicate carefully controlled emotions, possible blocks against emotional vulnerability and potential for emotional manipulation/control (let me know if I've got that wrong or if there's something I missed).

And Pluto Square Venus, and Moon Square Venus individually have their own features. But in a T-square configuration like this with Venus the focal planet, how might one psychologically look at this configuration in a more holistic way than looking at the aspects (2 squares and opposition) separately?

I'm not looking for a personal interpretation necessarily, but just want to talk about psychology of T-squares. What does such a configuration mean for the mental/emotional development of a person?

One of the most wholistic ways to look at a configuration, like a T-square or a Grand trine, is by looking at the midpoints.

In your natal example, your Venus is at the midpoint of Moon/Pluto.

So that would be written as:

Venus=Moon/Pluto

[A strong power of feeling, vivid self expression, sudden intensification of amorous feelings/emotions. ]

What is fascinating about midpoints is that they can represent a myriad of configurations.

So you can have ' Venus=Moon/Pluto' in a T-square OR in a yod OR in a grand trine OR in a mini-sextile OR in a triple conjunction...etc

Thus, when we delineate the midpoint group, we have to take into account whether it is a grand trine or a t-square. :sideways:

aquarius7000

Hi,

Different people look at things differently and interpret them often differently, too.

I, personally, occupy myself seldom with aspect-patterns as they are, of which t-square is one. I look at planetary strengths, which house(s) they rule, which house they sit in and how they stand in aspect to other planets. Of course, using the example you have given, I would be looking at all three planets involved, but considering less their midpoints, etc., and more their individual strengths, their sign and house planets, and then their aspects from the faster-moving planets (personal planets) to the slower planets (generational).

For instance, in my chart is a T-square made by my 3rd House Taurus Moon (precisely exalted) opposed to 9th House Scorpio Pluto, both squared by 1st House Aquarius Venus.
While handling that instance, I will first look at how the personal planets are placed sign wise. So, the Moon in Taurus is the strongest Moon, as it is exalted (better even than a Cancer Moon). That Venus in Aquarius is though not debilitated, but not strong either. In regards to Pluto, the sign it is in is useless for me because Uranus, Neptune and Pluto will do whatever they have to regardless of the sign they are in (sign energies don't make them stronger/weaker). These are generational planets and their only use is through their aspects with the personal planets and somewhat in regards to the house they are placed in.

Then I will consider their aspects. The Moon makes an aspect to that Pluto, so the native might be filled with fear that deeply affects his psyche to the extent that this person might even be self-limiting in the areas of life or houses the two planets are placed in. The women (the Moon) in this native's life could be very controlling/manipulative, with emotional issues themselves. The house (the Moon) they live in could be close to areas like cemeteries or be in a shady (crime-prone) area or have some deep-lying water pipes that may burst/leak and cause quite a bit of damage.

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Of course, using the example you have given, I would be looking at all three planets involved..............their individual strengths, their sign and house planets, and then their aspects from the faster-moving planets (personal planets) to the slower planets (generational

I would just like to add that the expression of every aspect in a chart depends upon which planet is ahead or behind the other degree-and-sign wise, as this will intimate whether the meaning behind the aspect lies within the individual self, OR is experienced through interaction with others.

A Moon ahead of Venus but behind Pluto will act differently to a Moon behind Venus yet ahead of Pluto, Or Venus ahead of both Moon and Pluto. :andy::smile:

aquarius7000

I would just like to add that the expression of every aspect in a chart depends upon which planet is ahead or behind the other degree-and-sign wise, as this will intimate whether the meaning behind the aspect lies within the individual self, OR is experienced through interaction with others.

A Moon ahead of Venus but behind Pluto will act differently to a Moon behind Venus yet ahead of Pluto, Or Venus ahead of both Moon and Pluto. :andy::smile:
That is a good point you make, but that difference is too subtle to even distinguish, especially in regards to the personal planets you mentioned. This is because you can only experience something through your interaction with others, if the same energy is already inherent with you. At least that is my take on it.

katydid

I saw Eileen Naumann give an amazing presentation on Medical Astrology many years ago. And I remember her making this exact point, in terms of medical astrology and configurations/midpoints.

She said it was vital to make note of the orientation of the planets in a T-square--which are applying, which are separating, etc, to ascertain how it will be reflected physically.

Some placements would signify intermittent or occasional health issues, while others would signify chronic issues. It was too complicated for me to grasp at the time though...lol

Last edited:

Frisiangal

A Moon ahead of Venus but behind Pluto will act differently to a Moon behind Venus yet ahead of Pluto, Or Venus ahead of both Moon and Pluto
That is a good point you make, but that difference is too subtle to even distinguish, especially in regards to the personal planets you mentioned. This is because you can only experience something through your interaction with others, if the same energy is already inherent with you. At least that is my take on it.

I was using the planets mentioned in the first post.

Every astrologer is obviously entitled to their own viewpoint, of course. All experience comes through interaction with another. I was taught astrology using the importance of the difference between applying/separating and ingoing/outgoing aspects.

In the effects of any specific circumstances , some people 'get over it'; some (never) do not.
The first could be compared to the faster planet on a further degree in the chart applying to a slower planet. As an aspect it has already passed exactitude with the slower planet degree, so over time the effect of the aspect can become weaker and overcome. The potential is there to 'get over it'.
If the faster planet is applying to the slower planet on a further degree, it comes up against it and has yet to reach exactitude with it, meaning the aspect effect from the slower planet is stronger when dealing with the (same) experience, BEFORE it's possible to get over it......if ever.
Transiting/progressed planets to the aspect will bring about circumstances that 'activate' and enhance the meaning of the aspect, without changing the nature of its function as written in the natal chart.

But my own T-squares could make me biased.:smile:

Last edited:

aquarius7000

I was using the planets mentioned in the first post.
And, I took those into account using two of them to expand on the example.

Every astrologer is obviously entitled to their own viewpoint, of course. All experience comes through interaction with another.
And, no one said anything to the contrary at all. In fact, I began sharing my own viewpoint by first positively acknowledging yours. Not many do that:biggrin:

I was taught astrology using the importance of the difference between applying/separating and ingoing/outgoing aspects.
I taught myself that and then started applying the teaching first to my own natal chart followed by the charts of my family members that I know well. I found not difference. In my own, withing an orb of 3 degrees (considered tight), I found almost no difference when personal planets apply or separate. That is why I called it "subtle" in my previous post (so you don't see it as a complete refute of your own idea). I admire your posts and so was gentler on sharing my own idea with you (but you didn't take it well nonetheless, which broke my heart):unsure:

Hence I am not sharing any further ideas now.:biggrin:

Frisiangal

so was gentler on sharing my own idea with you (but you didn't take it well nonetheless, which broke my heart):unsure:

Hence I am not sharing any further ideas now.:biggrin:

:surprised::surprised:
Aquarius, I am so very surprised that you read my reply to you as some form of 'attack' upon your own ideas.
I am always amazed when any poster takes a reply from anyone, including mine, in a negative fashion. I've long come to the conclusion it must lie in the manner the reader 'hears' the words within themselves when reading them; a sort of defensive tactic against what they believe or assume to be criticism.

Please know that it is never my intent to argue against or belittle other ideas in my posts which are often meant as a means of (further)explanation only. If I disagree, I do say so.

You may (not) be surprised how long it takes my applying natal Mercury retrograde (on further degree to) bi-quintile Neptune, yet applying (on further degree) square Pluto to write and send off a(ny) post. It is read and reread, words corrected or deleted in order NOT to cause any kind of offence for the receiver. Unfortunately, it still happens, for which I feel a personal regret that the readers experience me in such a fashion :)lilth: ), yet for which I cannot personally do anything about.

Perhaps the OP, or anyone else, will provide the planetary degrees of the T-square, in order to discuss any relevance of their positions.