Human existence: the gender of God

petosiris

Banned
Of course you're wanted! Disagreed with, perhaps, but definitely wanted. Thanks to you I've done more Bible reading for this thread than I had for a long time. That's good, right? Call me masochistic, but I am fine with a debate that gets me thinking, just so long as it stays civil.

I agree. :smile:

waybread

So Petosiris-- or anybody: From my recent post:

Where's Petosiris? I miss you already!

Hope you (and everyone else on this thread) is staying healthy.

Speaking of gender, probably we've all heard the expression, "God is love." (1 John 4:8)

Love in French "l'amour" is masculine. An irregular noun, it is feminine in the plural.

"Amore" in Italian is masculine.

Love in German, "Liebe" is feminine.

In Hebrew, how you say, "I love you" depends upon your gender, and the gender of the person to whom you are speaking. The noun "ahava" is feminine.

In Greek, "God is love," Θεός είναι αγάπη Theós eínai agápi uses a feminine word (agape, in English, connoting reverence.

In English "love" is neuter.

If I John 4:8 is correct, then God is not strictly masculine.

leomoon

So Petosiris-- or anybody: From my recent post:

If I John 4:8 is correct, then God is not strictly masculine.

Very nice connections you made to "Love"...and "God".

I agree, love is gender neutral. So is God in my opinion. Energy is for all without conditions.

somewhere the bible states, "And he (she - it, whatever) makes it to rain on the just and unjust alike"

The writers of these works, whether accuracy counted or not, were patriarchal in their natures weren't they?

Regarding love your enemies: -= in Matthew 5:45 Jesus gives two practical examples. “He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.”

petosiris

Banned
Waybread, I've never argued that God is strictly masculine. Furthermore I already mentioned the maternal imagery in Isaiah, and God's ''steadfast mercy, patience, love and compassion, which are qualities that we adore in exemplar women'' - https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1033736&postcount=158

I have been thinking about corporeality of spirits the past few days, and I think it is safe to say that the living God doesn't have a body. We have to understand masculinity and feminity in purely mental terms.

petosiris

Banned
deleted on waybread's request - https://contramodalism.com/letter-of-auxentius-on-bishop-ulfilas/

-NNfelRUOaXCiOm0HdEAp7yuwTWNw2mI9QbaC-Wpm0agOPHaPhVwwpsINpiRQ77WuQnSP8FpkCPFt6AeO_LJeNyzdleO-oA6LMx8UXUVKPW316vMaJEl93Jhq2Xb8Q

He also says that Urphilas brought over as settlers to the Roman territory a large body of persons who had been driven out of their ancient abodes for the sake of their religion... This multitude of converts were located by the emperor in the different parts of Moesia, as he thought best, and he held Urphilas himself in such high honour, that he would often speak of him in conversation as the Moses of his day. Philostorgius is loud in his praises of this Urphilas ; and asserts that both he and the Goths who were under his spiritual rule, were followers of his own heretical opinions. - see 2.5 of the Epitome of Philostorgius's history http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/philostorgius.htm

This is verifiably true, since for centuries the Ostrogoths, Visigoths, Burgundians and Vandals were Homoian Christians, and parts of the Gothic Bible are still extant.

Now, if such massive migration and exodus of the people of Ulfilas is possible, why wouldn't it be possible with the people of Moses?

Last edited:

waybread

Petosiris, this site's rules prohibit excerpting long passages of text due to copyright regulations. Can you paraphrase what you just posted or just give us the links?

Just who is your long passage about-- which Christian saint?

petosiris

Banned
Petosiris, this site's rules prohibit excerpting long passages of text due to copyright regulations. Can you paraphrase what you just posted or just give us the links?

Just who is your long passage about-- which Christian saint?

This is just Wulfila. He wasn't a Trinitarian, otherwise he would be St. Wulfila. :smile:

waybread

Major migrations are known throughout history. Archaeologists usually hope to find evidence of them, which sometimes just isn't there. Supposedly the Goths originated in Gotland (Gothland) of Sweden and were part of a larger movement of northern Europeans into the Roman empire during its waning years.

To classicists, this was the lamented fall of the Roman empire and beginning of the Dark Ages. Germanic history reads a lot differently, explaining that the Teutonic invasions were a population migration of noble forest folk, maintaining their independence from evil Roman colonialists.

While a migration of people out of Egypt seems entirely possible, there is the slight matter of them crossing the Red Sea without getting their feet wet.

Good thinking on the topic of the gender of God. I think that because ancient gods were typically modeled after human rulers long prior to the emergence of Judaism (like in Sumer), Jewish scribes had no problem in describing God in human terms.

But I think that humans are gendered beings, so we naturally think in these terms. I cannot imagine God being so circumscribed.

david starling

Someone posted this question up somewhere before. God is definitely transgender and it's no coincidence that more and more people are moving towards transgenderism and are receiving less and less negative responses for it as the world continues to wrap its head around the idea. I mean, it's not like they're actively persuading the world to accept them anymore, they just do. Maybe...subconsiously, they have understanding that their God is more like transgenders as compared to either a man or a woman alone. Plus, not only are those transitioning people making sacrifices to become what they want to be, but they're also generating a society more full of acceptance than before. They say that God intentionally sacrificed so much about himself to reach his fullest potential of who he understood himself to be.

Who did the surgery on God? And, was it about changing from female to male, or vice versa? :whistling:

petosiris

Banned
Maybe God is a "Hermaphrodite" !

Both a "He" AND a "She", all in One!

''For some declare him [the Ogdoad] to be without a consort, and neither male nor female, and, in fact, nothing at all; while others affirm him to be masculo-feminine, assigning to him the nature of a hermaphrodite; others, again, allot Sige to him as a spouse, that thus may be formed the first conjunction.''... - http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0103111.htm

That is not a new idea. Brother Irenaeus gives the possibility that the Gnostics' god is a cucumber.

''There is a certain Proarche, royal, surpassing all thought, a power existing before every other substance, and extended into space in every direction. But along with it there exists a power which I term a Gourd; and along with this Gourd there exists a power which again I term Utter-Emptiness. This Gourd and Emptiness, since they are one, produced (and yet did not simply produce, so as to be apart from themselves) a fruit, everywhere visible, eatable, and delicious, which fruit-language calls a Cucumber. Along with this Cucumber exists a power of the same essence, which again I call a Melon. These powers, the Gourd, Utter-Emptiness, the Cucumber, and the Melon, brought forth the remaining multitude of the delirious melons of Valentinus...'' - ibid.

waybread

Yikes.

I think you guys have been shut up at home too long.

Petosiris, I hope this Good Friday is especially meaningful to you.

petosiris

Banned
Yikes.

I think you guys have been shut up at home too long.

Petosiris, I hope this Good Friday is especially meaningful to you.

Waybread, Christ was crucified on the date two days ago. I follow neither the eastern nor the western computus.

I wouldn't use that word for the Pascha, because apparently it might be related to a foreign goddess.

I don't really follow days - Col. 2:16, but if I were to, I would be a Quartodeciman. :smile:

''All these observed the fourteenth day of the passover according to the Gospel, deviating in no respect, but following the rule of faith. And I also, Polycrates, the least of you all, do according to the tradition of my relatives, some of whom I have closely followed. For seven of my relatives were bishops; and I am the eighth. And my relatives always observed the day when the people put away the leaven.'' - http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/250105.htm

I hope that the quarantine preserves your health as the Scripture preserves your soul.

waybread

Thank you.

Then is April 12 Easter Sunday for you?

Easter does seem to be a modification of earlier pagan equinox holidays. The name does sound like Ishtar, the Near Eastern planetary goddess Venus. (Cf. the biblical book of Esther.)

Eostre (Ostara) was a pagan Germanic goddess associated with spring.

david starling

Thank you.

Easter does seem to be a modification of earlier pagan equinox holidays. The name does sound like Ishtar, the Near Eastern planetary goddess Venus. (Cf. the biblical book of Esther.)

Eostre (Ostara) was a pagan Germanic goddess associated with spring.

Peto is probably busy painting Easter eggs! :biggrin:

petosiris

Banned
Thank you.

The mystery of the resurrection in the ancient eastern churches was always observed on the date of the crucifixion/date when the leaven is put away/date when the lambs were slaughtered before sunset regardless of the day of the week - see the above quote from Polycarp. (This is why the resurrection is still called ''Pascha'' in Catholic and Orthodox tradition.) They communicated with Jews for the calendar well into the 4th century, because John ''Chrysostom'' wrote against Christians who join the Jews in their festivals, incorrectly associating them with the ''Judaizers'' of the NT.

Christ died for the sins of the world, but if he wasn't raised on the third day and if he didn't enter the heavenly temple made without hands as a high priest after 40 days, we would still be in our sins - 1 Cor. 15; Hebr. 9. Because of his obedience to God and servitude of man even to death on a cross, God highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father - Phil 2. We can observe, therefore, that the death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus are related and not as distinct in meaning as for example the baptism by fire on the day of the Pentecost/Shavuot.

I highly doubt that the apostles and their disciples invented new festivals, rather than observing the festivals of the Law in light of their fulfilled symbolic and prophetic meaning.

Last edited: