Random Thoughts, strictly Text

david starling

Reaction formation is a psychological defense mechanism that masks the disgust for something by going in the exact opposite direction - You hate that person so everyday you always greet them with a big smile and offerings for coffee and refreshments.

Someone can be pushed to not follow convention as a result of this defense mechanism - they aren't truly self-directed.

In the sociology book "The Lonely Crowd", there were 3 basic types: Inner-Directed, Other-Directed, and Tradition-Directed. They made the astute point that, because Inner-Directedness had become considered an admirable Other-Directed trait, it was difficult to distinguish between a truly Inner-Directed person and someone acting that way just to impress others.
They included (and recommended) "Self-Direction" as a blend of all 3, with the emphasis on Inner-Directedness.

GemwDepth

Account Closed
What planets or configurations would you consider to be dominant in someone who is inner-directed? A lot of thoughts are going through my mind right now. I think Uranus, harmonics, and certain obsessive aspects may be key. A Mars placement that isn't social another one, so not liable to be influenced in chosen actions.

Last edited:

david starling

What planets or configurations would you consider to be dominant in someone who is inner-directed? A lot of thoughts are going through my mind right now. I think Uranus, harmonics, and certain obsessive aspects may be key. A Mars placement that isn't social another one, so not liable to be influenced in chosen actions.

First Sign that comes to mind as naturally self-directed is Sagittarius. Uranos is in some ways other-directing, because it encourages deliberate rebellion AGAINST conventional thinking and acting. It's soon moving into Taurus, and in 12/12, that will be about true Self-Direction, in an inventive, materialistic way--very much in tune with this Age of Capricorn, which is naturally inventive and materialistic. But, Uranos in Taurus will be about humanitarian causes, rather than being profit-driven.

ynnest

First Sign that comes to mind as naturally self-directed is Sagittarius. Uranos is in some ways other-directing, because it encourages deliberate rebellion AGAINST conventional thinking and acting. It's soon moving into Taurus, and in 12/12, that will be about true Self-Direction, in an inventive, materialistic way--very much in tune with this Age of Capricorn, which is naturally inventive and materialistic. But, Uranos in Taurus will be about humanitarian causes, rather than being profit-driven.

No thats not true, you are making assumptions that are rooted in one specific timeline that from my understanding is ending. Uranus in taurus is in many ways going to be about profit specifically as a self contained profit mindset thats not based on stealing and taking but rather Creating and recieving Will lay the foundation for larger humanitarian causes to follow.

Y

Last edited:

Gemini888

That's not a bad crack at it. But I wonder if what you're describing isn't just a general Capricorn purposefulness to the sphere of love and values, as opposed to that extra "oomph" that would make Venus specifically more purposeful in the sign of Capricorn. You could apply that interpretation to the other planets and come up with an equally purposeful interpretation related to that planets special functions.
In my opinion, some configurations can produce similar effects to each other. A sun-Uranus trine can be similar to an Aqua Sun. Of course, we are talking about one placement alone, so the interpretation can be rather too general. It also depends on where Venus is and what aspects Venus has. Cap Venus in 3H may want two lifelong partners, something that doesn't seem so committed for a typical Cap. Cap Venus square Uranus may reduce the commitment of Cap.

So yeah, the context is everything.

Gemini888

Gemini can be Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Power of two personalities.

On Astro.com I read an article about an analysis of serial killers. Turns out the sign that is strongest in serial killers isn't Scorpio, but Gemini! The author explains that it's because of the Jekyll and Hyde quality of Gemini that helps serial killers to stay hidden from the public eyes to ensure the body count. The author also mentions the position of Gemini in the astrological evolution that contribute to this bloody factor. Gemini has yet to experience Cancer's empathy, so some Gemini-influenced people can kill and still think they are doing a good deed to the world. And the scary thing is, their logic actually makes sense. Yeah, talk about pure logic.

So <gather 💎 and Witchy>, don't look at us Gemini and judge us for being childish, we can kill any time we want :D

Last edited:

david starling

No thats not true, you are making assumptions that are rooted in one specific timeline that from my understanding is ending. Uranus in taurus is in many ways going to be about profit specifically as a self contained profit mindset thats not based on stealing and taking but rather Creating and recieving Will lay the foundation for larger humanitarian causes to follow.

Y

Point taken. It will be about profiting for humanity.

Gemini888

David, you make me think about the effect of Neptune in Capricorn. The Age of Aquarius is coming. But before it can take effect, someone has to do something. Neptune is Cap softens the greed of Cap, and Cap gives Neptune more practicality. Given that the people who will run the world when the age of Aqua comes are Cap Neptune, Cap Neptune enables a more empathetic touch in business. Cap Neptune will be deeply involved in the balance of money and spirituality. In other word, it finds wealth and success by helping others, not tramping on them.

Well I'm an artist and my Neptune conjuncts my MC, so I can relate to this interpretation.

david starling

David, you make me think about the effect of Neptune in Capricorn. The Age of Aquarius is coming. But before it can take effect, someone has to do something. Neptune is Cap softens the greed of Cap, and Cap gives Neptune more practicality. Given that the people who will run the world when the age of Aqua comes are Cap Neptune, Cap Neptune enables a more empathetic touch in business. Cap Neptune will be deeply involved in the balance of money and spirituality. In other word, it finds wealth and success by helping others, not tramping on them.

Well I'm an artist and my Neptune conjuncts my MC, so I can relate to this interpretation.

I agree. And that's compatible with Uranos in Taurus, which will give the Nep in Cap generation some traction.

david starling

In my opinion, some configurations can produce similar effects to each other. A sun-Uranus trine can be similar to an Aqua Sun. Of course, we are talking about one placement alone, so the interpretation can be rather too general. It also depends on where Venus is and what aspects Venus has. Cap Venus in 3H may want two lifelong partners, something that doesn't seem so committed for a typical Cap. Cap Venus square Uranus may reduce the commitment of Cap.

So yeah, the context is everything.

Yes. For example, a Sense of Purpose placement can be helped or hindered by the Aspects. It doesn't operate in a vacuum.

Gemini888

Uranos in Aries? A craving for excitement and competition for its own sake, with no useful, far-reaching consequences.
To me, Uranus in Aries/Taurus is closely related to how the internet is used. You saw a sudden rise to popularity of selfie during the Arie era, and also cyberbullying. When Uranus enters Taurus, the interest to make money through the internet rises. Websites for money making appear. People can now make money in ways we couldn't imagine before. Patreon, for example, is a website that enables artists to get monthly donation from fans, making art a legitimate source of income for many people. Selfie becomes less of a passion and people don't tolerate excessive bullying anymore.

I'm waiting to see what will happen when Uranus comes to Gemini.