What are you learning from COVID?

CapAquaPis

California enters stage 3 of reopening this week, more non-essential businesses are open, and well, I don't feel it's totally safe yet. Our state government said the rate of new daily cases plateaued, less hospitalization rates and better mass testing through a large statewide contact tracing program. Stay-at-home spring becomes still socially distanced summer in order to prevent a second wave Sep. ,the world in general has gotten used to COVID-19 in the 5-month year 2020.

Some scientists believe we can have 3 scenarios: 1. The virus mutates into a weaker one (and become endemic) while more herd immunity is acheived while we shield the most vulnerable, 2. a vaccine is available later this year and the US Dept of Health and Human Services wants to vaccinate up to 300 million and 3. Possible eradication of COVID-19 when disease control programs work, but this is an easily transmissible virus while no human is born immune to it.

Opal

Premium Member
Nice to see you Opal! Yes it’s downright disrespectful to the dead. I’m not even going to start thinking right now about the ones forced to die terrified and alone because of cruel, unnecessary protocol.
You are in Canada so maybe the mind**** isn’t as intense for you there. But in the US, how do people actually believe that a system that will charge them $1800 for a bandage in some cases, and is further ridden with errors for all kinds of services - errors that are impossible to contest to maximize collections - will suddenly become docile, transparent, and accurate when covid is involved?

The mind**** is very similar here. The media is paid by the same 1%. The sheep get angry at the goats for not doing what they are told. Divorce rate is going through the roof. So are pregnancies. At this time, we are being paid nominally to stay home. The stores are opening, work is coming in, but, I am not in full swing. Everyone is hedging, waiting for the punch line. Tensions are high. Friendships have been made and lost.

I feel for the isolated. Some alone, with the dementia of their own minds, being kept but not visited by loved ones, some die scared and alone. Others just feel abandoned. People tried window visits, but were stopped, due to agitating the (I am having difficulty not using the word victim, but it is the word that fits)victim.

Opal

Premium Member
The mask is my only protection against sanitizer! Aerosolized, in liquids, spread on surfaces, it’s inescapable. Shopping trips have to be quick-quick.
Hope you are doing well? There’s more work now?

Yeah, I am doing fine. I hope you are well too! You working?

I carry a couple masks in my truck, in case I am forced. Yeah, the handles of everything, my husband despises it. He washes the stench off when he walks through the door.

I am doing some work out of town. It is great, I love farm life. The only downside, is I do like coming home at night, but it is too far.

dhundhun

What are you learning from COVID?

Survival, survival and survival.

I need to go out once in every five-six days to two three places (CVS or Safeway or Fred Mayer or Costco or Whole Food Store or Indian Grocery Store or Storage Unit or Clinic). And every time, second or third day, COVID like symptoms.

So Herbs, Supplements, Homeopathy, OTC and so on - Boost Immune, Boost Immune. Two-three days for symptoms to go away. Then again to next cycle of going out.

It has been scary and stressful. Although I am following strictly Washington State "Stay Home" guidelines, well before it was ordered.

CapAquaPis

California's 4-phase or stage reopening plan:
* 1: On April 17th, a larger state COVID testing and contract tracing program was put into place and this expended the number of new daily cases (asymptomatic or traced).
* 2: May 8th, lower-risk businesses, and 3. June 12th, higher-risk. They will have safety modifications like social distancing, just like already allowed open essentials. There was stage 2.5 in some counties with lower cased per capita. Los Angeles county (including the city) went to stage 2 on a later date in May.
* 4: Unknown date, whether a vaccine is developed, antibody tests proved herd immunity, and better life-saving therapeutics, reduction of health restrictions and end of stay at home order, but until notice. The elderly and health/immune compromised people are advised to remain in doors until new daily cases cease.
Already, in Riverside county among other parts of CA, the typical 1,000 blood samples found 5-6% of locals developed antibodies from COVID-19 exposure, possibly 5% of the state population in the first months of 2020 (Jan 1-Apr 1?) and 1 out of 10 confirmed positive cases.

Update: June 19th: New face mask and covering in public requirement for the state, and continuation of certain disease control rules (i.e. social distancing 6 feet/2 meters apart in public places). It has been exactly 3 months and I think we've adapted to this new normal with the lockdown eased. The reproduction rate is below 1 per person now and hospitalizations slowly rise compared to back in April, but we can't let our guards down and allow COVID-19 to surge again.

Last edited:

multiple

Account Closed
that most people lose their **** when they can't be alone for very long. and here is me, a dedicated hermit who is thinking "social distancing? piece of cake" :lol:

JUPITERASC

Professor Karl Friston is a computer modelling expert
world-renowned for his contributions to neuroscience :smile:
has been applying his "dynamic causal modelling" approach
to the Covid-19 pandemic, and has reached some startling results.

Karl Friston: up to 80% not even susceptible to Covid-19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOFeVIrOPg

The differences between countries are not primarily down to government action
but due to 'intrinsic' differences in the populations
We don't yet fully understand what is driving it
although there are theories ranging from levels of vitamin D
to genetic differences

In each country
there appears to be a portion of the population
that is 'not even in the game' - that is, not susceptible to Covid-19 :smile:

This varies hugely between countries
In the UK, Professor Friston estimates that portion to be at least 50%
and probably more like 80%

The similar mortality results between Sweden - no lockdown
and the UK - lockdown
are best explained by the fact that in reality there was no difference
the impact of the legal lockdown in Professor Friston's models
"literally goes away".

CapAquaPis

In Europe, scientists believe the virus (SARS-CoV-2) has mutated to be weaker and less contagious, probably a result of tough lockdowns reduced the number of human hosts and a "sign" the virus could been a man-made lab accident. In Italy and Spain, their lockdowns allowed more certain business sectors to stay open, then the Chinese government said they were lax and these countries did shut down non-essential businesses, due to continued spikes in daily new cases and over time, it began to decline. Allowing all businesses to stay open, but all the social distancing and wearing masks, you're still going to have more cases.

An US-European-Canadian-Australian joint collab are investigating satellite photos of increased parking lot use in Wuhan and other Chinese hospitals in Aug-Oct 2019 and internet search engine histories of "respiratory" issues and "diarrhea" to prove COVID was already present earlier than its discovery in Nov-Dec, and the possibility in Jan-Feb 2020, up to 10,000 Americans and Europeans each had COVID in similar fashion, a false belief it was a "respiratory cold" or just a "flu". Then around New Years in China and Leap Year day in CA, US, a few people start to die from pneumonia, cardiac arrest and organ damage for medical professionals and scientists to discover the disease or it's arrival.

In the US, however, in the northern hemisphere summer, 35 states (i.e. TX, AZ and FL) report weekly and daily record increases of cases, it's widely believed these states lifted their lockdowns to early or 9 other states (one of them is OK, the other AR and there's UT) never had a lockdown or stay-at-home order at all to curb the spread or "flattened the curve" as in hospitalization or ICU rates.

A few Northeast (NY state-NJ-CT) and West Coast (CA-OR-WA state) areas had a steady increase or a decrease, note they are highly populated, but to look at CA and TX, like AZ, are receiving ICU patients and people seek COVID tests from across the border: Mexico, where the country wasn't able to get their part of a pandemic under control. However, all those Mother's and Memorial days informal family and friend gatherings, as well a wave of riots and massive protests against racism and police brutality, I suggest we as a country don't do any more of them this summer (i.e. Father's and Independence days).