FREE Natal Chart Calculator and Interpretation Tool

ja7me

Hello Everyone,

I have created a FREE natal chart calculator tool. I hope you all find it useful.

The tool allows anyone to enter their birth details. After they click submit, it will output all the planetary positions for signs, houses, Black Moon, and North Node. Along with interpretations.

Please let me know if you find this tool useful. If you do, then I will add on aspect calculations and more. I am open to ideas of what else can be added. This tool will stay 100% free.

[imgr]https://jksastrology.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Natal-chart-calculator.png[/imgr]

[Decreased size of image to make this thread more accessible to smaller screens. - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

ja7me

Hello Bunraku,

I am so pleased you like this tool. I have worked many hours on this piece of software getting it to this stage. I was always worried that no one would actually use it after all the effort.

Please let me know if you require anymore features added. I do plan on adding aspects too. I am very open to suggestions, and will try my best to implement them.

Osamenor

Staff member
This program doesn't draw charts. So, unfortunately, it can't be used as an alternative to astro.com or the other free chart casting programs people use. When we ask people to post their charts, lists of placements usually won't do.

ja7me

This program doesn't draw charts. So, unfortunately, it can't be used as an alternative to astro.com or the other free chart casting programs people use. When we ask people to post their charts, lists of placements usually won't do.

Hello Osamenor,

Yes, that is a fair point about the charts. There is a good reason why it's not there. Seems like it will be a challenge for me to code. Coding is more of a hobby for me. Would you consider using this program if it produces natal chart drawings too?

If people are interested, then I don't mind going through the effort to create it

Osamenor

Staff member
Yes, that is a fair point about the charts. There is a good reason why it's not there. Seems like it will be a challenge for me to code. Coding is more of a hobby for me. Would you consider using this program if it produces natal chart drawings too?

Personally, I'm satisfied with the programs I already use. I was just pointing that out for the benefit of the forum, because the main thing people use chart calculators for on here is generating charts they can post. There already are plenty of free programs that do just that.

IleneK

Premium Member
Hi, ja7me,

In terms of additional features that you might be interested to add to yours, you might check out Astroseek's extensive offerings.

https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/birth-chart-horoscope-online

Everything on Astroseek is free, too.

Hello Everyone,

I have created a FREE natal chart calculator tool. I hope you all find it useful.

The tool allows anyone to enter their birth details. After they click submit, it will output all the planetary positions for signs, houses, Black Moon, and North Node. Along with interpretations.

Please let me know if you find this tool useful. If you do, then I will add on aspect calculations and more. I am open to ideas of what else can be added. This tool will stay 100% free.

Osamenor

Staff member

But Astroseek is apparently ad supported. All the other big free sites are also ad supported, or have some non-free portion, or both.

To offer free content, you have to have ad support, or sell something to offset the cost, or seek Patreon supporters, or simply eat the cost. If you're doing it as a hobby, it might be worth eating the cost, but then you probably can't offer the level of quality and tech that the monetized sites do.

aldebaran

Hello Osamenor,

If people are interested, then I don't mind going through the effort to create it

The best free calculator I know is from Astro.com, but there's still limitations, like, you can't add Nakshatras, you can't choose your own Ayanamsha, and more importantly you can put only a limited amount of Asteroids / Extras, like around 20.

I don't know any Free Chart(or paid?) that allows a person to put like 200 Asteroids, if you code one with a clean visual, it would be a nice new thing, cause I'm sure many people find troublesome the limits in quantity of bodies of Astro.com.

JUPITERASC

But Astroseek is apparently ad supported. All the other big free sites are also ad supported, or have some non-free portion, or both.
To offer free content, you have to have ad support, or sell something to offset the cost, or seek Patreon supporters, or simply eat the cost. If you're doing it as a hobby, it might be worth eating the cost, but then you probably can't offer the level of quality and tech that the monetized sites do.
our forum is ad supported also :smile:

IleneK

Premium Member
Hi, ja7me,

In terms of additional features that you might be interested to add to yours, you might check out Astroseek's extensive offerings.

https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/birth-chart-horoscope-online

But Astroseek is apparently ad supported.

I am a bit unclear what the "but" is about in your comment or what difference it makes if Astroseek is ad supported. I wonder if you might say a bit more about the relevance of Astroseek's being ad supported to a recommendation to OP to view Astroseek's offering a wide array of free services to the public? Since that is what OP is hoping to do as well...

Osamenor

Staff member
I am a bit unclear what the "but" is about in your comment or what difference it makes if Astroseek is ad supported. I wonder if you might say a bit more about the relevance of Astroseek's being ad supported to a recommendation to OP to view Astroseek's offering a wide array of free services to the public? Since that is what OP is hoping to do as well...

Pointing out that it's more feasible to offer a wide array of free services to the public if you have monetary support. As far as I can tell, the OP's site doesn't have ads and doesn't have any for pay content. Unless he has another source of monetary support for it, what he can offer is more limited.

ja7me

Hello Guys,

Thank you for the comments.

It's interesting to hear about the other websites you use. I must admit, Astrodentist is definitely the best out there regarding natal chart calculation. I think Astrodentist also created the Swiss Ephemeris, so they will always have a major advantage other the small players such as myself. They probably have a team of programmers and astrologers too. But you guys have already pointed out that no one out there is offering the perfect free natal chart calculation tool, yet….

I actually work full time as an engineer. So, astrology, website design and programming are hobbies for me. Some of my blog pages do have affiliate links, but I do not make much from those. And I do not expect to make much either. Yes, monetary support is ideal when it comes to adding more features to websites. I do not have this, which is why I am learning to program. And creating this software is the ultimate test for me. So, it is hours of time I am investing, rather then money. I don't mind investing time if people are going to use it.

There will be no ads or payment to use my astrology natal chart calculation tool now or in the future. That is my guarantee. I just really wanted to make an astrology program for people who are learning astrology, or novice astrologers.

So, I believe the best way to make one is to communicate with guys such as yourself. So, we kind of make one together. Every astrologer works in a different way, that is why I need your suggestions to create the most ideal tool for you.

Osamenor

Staff member
Overall, it's a good site.

I've noticed a couple of bugs in the chart and interpretation part: I have Mars in Gemini, but your program said I have Mars in Taurus. Every ephemeris I've ever consulted agrees that Mars transited to Gemini the day before I was born.

And when I clicked on the link for Jupiter in Aries, it took me to Google's search page.

Personally, I don't like cookbook interpretations... I feel that half the battle as an astrologer is dispelling the myths that cookbook astrology promotes... but I see that's really what your site is set up for. I really wish it were possible to give personally valid interpretations at the click of a button... just a teaser, so then they'd consult an astrologer for more. But that's me. That's not saying anything about your site, if you really mean it to be for astrology lite.

ja7me

Overall, it's a good site.

I've noticed a couple of bugs in the chart and interpretation part: I have Mars in Gemini, but your program said I have Mars in Taurus. Every ephemeris I've ever consulted agrees that Mars transited to Gemini the day before I was born.

And when I clicked on the link for Jupiter in Aries, it took me to Google's search page.

Personally, I don't like cookbook interpretations... I feel that half the battle as an astrologer is dispelling the myths that cookbook astrology promotes... but I see that's really what your site is set up for. I really wish it were possible to give personally valid interpretations at the click of a button... just a teaser, so then they'd consult an astrologer for more. But that's me. That's not saying anything about your site, if you really mean it to be for astrology lite.

Hello Osamenor,

Thank you for the compliment. I did notice an error in my program only 1 hour ago. So, it should be outputting accurate data now. If it still outputs Mars in Taurus, then could you please send your birth details via private message? I would like to check myself.

Yes, good point about the Jupiter in Aries interpretation. This link is now fixed.

I agree. These are 100% cookbook type interpretations. I believe cookbook interpretations are a good starting point for people new to astrology. My blog does offer free astrology content that beginners can read. Such as step by step guides to natal charts, and even an astrology pub quiz and card matching game (to try and make things fun). I do try and remind the reader now and again that only a human (such as an astrologer like yourself) can actually create the most accurate reading. Only a human can blend all the readings together and make a human being out of it.

If I'm ever able to program an astrological chart. Then I might try and make it easy for people to post their charts onto this website. Such as adding a link to astrologyweekly forum. And making it super easy to save their chart. Do you think that would be a good feature?

Osamenor

Staff member
If I'm ever able to program an astrological chart. Then I might try and make it easy for people to post their charts onto this website. Such as adding a link to astrologyweekly forum. And making it super easy to save their chart. Do you think that would be a good feature?

By "post their charts on this website," do you mean AW, or your own website?

If you're going to have people post their charts on your website, be very clear about deletion and privacy policies. Some people might suddenly decide, for whatever reason, that having their chart up is something they no longer want. There are two ways you can approach that: allow them to delete their chart (or delete it for them upon request) or very clearly communicate from the outset that their chart will never be deleted, submitting it gives you permission to keep it up. Speaking from my experience as a moderator here and having my own website where I sometimes post charts submitted to me.

If you want to link to AW, there's no reason you can't, although then we should be very clear on both ends what level of partnership your site does and does not have with us. Note that in my signature, I give my website and explicitly state it's separate from this one. That's because before I added that disclaimer, I was getting messages through my website sometimes about moderation matters over here. My role as owner of The Bear's Nose is completely separate from my role as AW moderator, even if they have astrology, and me, in common.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Hello Osamenor,

Thank you for the compliment. I did notice an error in my program only 1 hour ago. So, it should be outputting accurate data now. If it still outputs Mars in Taurus, then could you please send your birth details via private message? I would like to check myself.

Yes, good point about the Jupiter in Aries interpretation. This link is now fixed.
I just tried it again. Both problems are fixed.

I agree. These are 100% cookbook type interpretations. I believe cookbook interpretations are a good starting point for people new to astrology.... I do try and remind the reader now and again that only a human (such as an astrologer like yourself) can actually create the most accurate reading. Only a human can blend all the readings together and make a human being out of it.
And cookbook interpretations can be downright inaccurate, because of things like mixed testimonies. For example, you say Jupiter in Aries means "you can sometimes be too overconfident and careless where money is concerned." That's not so much so with Capricorn rising, Saturn square Jupiter, and a (traditionally) Saturn ruled second house!

That said, your cookbook interpretations have a lot of truth to them, even if not every detail is accurate.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Another thought I had on the cookbook interpretations: what if they came with an optional survey? People could be asked, for each placement, how strongly they agree or disagree that the cookbook description describes them: "This is (pick one)... exactly like me, somewhat like me, maybe or maybe not like me, not much like me, not at all like me."

If it were my site, I'd then offer to sell them a personalized look at their chart (astrology reading). For free content, I'd possibly link an article explaining, generally, how and why cookbook descriptions can be inaccurate.

Heck, if I had the tech skills, I might put something like this on my own site.

ja7me

By "post their charts on this website," do you mean AW, or your own website?

If you're going to have people post their charts on your website, be very clear about deletion and privacy policies. Some people might suddenly decide, for whatever reason, that having their chart up is something they no longer want. There are two ways you can approach that: allow them to delete their chart (or delete it for them upon request) or very clearly communicate from the outset that their chart will never be deleted, submitting it gives you permission to keep it up. Speaking from my experience as a moderator here and having my own website where I sometimes post charts submitted to me.

If you want to link to AW, there's no reason you can't, although then we should be very clear on both ends what level of partnership your site does and does not have with us. Note that in my signature, I give my website and explicitly state it's separate from this one. That's because before I added that disclaimer, I was getting messages through my website sometimes about moderation matters over here. My role as owner of The Bear's Nose is completely separate from my role as AW moderator, even if they have astrology, and me, in common.

I was thinking of linking to AW. But yes, I should make things clear if I do. I had a look at your website (The bears Nose). Well done, its a very nice site.

Those are good ideas about the survey. But I think I will just try and keep things simple for now. My next mission is to create Free Astrology Natal Chart drawings that people can download.

Bunraku

If you notice a lot of people don't really care about an actual chart drawing/wheel/features, and only want to know where their placements are so they can read descriptions of it online. :)

I think this website fulfills its part for its intended audience. So I don't understand all the criticism.