View Single Post
Unread 10-11-2019, 06:10 PM

Re: Celibacy in traditional astrology

[Deleted response to off topic post. - Moderator]

Lostinstars, just one other add-on to the post I made yesterday: Saturn rules fear. Mercury does rule youth, yet not in the way you described sexuality. In Hellenistic mythology, orgies were ascribed to Dyonisus, not Mercury (Hermes.) Generally they did not portray the god Mercury/Hermes as hermaphroditic, but as male. I think this idea comes from a female prototype of Mercury in ancient Sumer and Babylon, a goddess called Nisaba or Nidaba, who ruled scribes as well as grain stores. Today, she has some vestiges of the old goddess in the constellation and sign of Virgo. Also, there are differences in the interpretation of the planet Mercury depending upon its location in the horoscope, such as whether it precedes or follows the sun.

Interestingly, although sun-Virgo people can be very earthy (I have two sun-Virgo children, BTW) Virgo traditionally is one of the "barren" signs. It stands to reason that a virgin would not produce offspring.

The esoteric meaning of Hermes was the psychopomp or conductor of souls.

A good source on mythological Mercury/Hermes is https://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Hermes.html
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by Osamenor; 10-11-2019 at 10:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
lostinstars (10-12-2019)