The Quincunx / Inconjunct Factor

Blacknight

The quincunx or inconjunct as it's otherwise known is an aspect of 150 degrees. Most sites I've run across have similar copy pasted info regarding it, however I recently found a website by an Alice Portman describing the quincunx degree more in depth. (I won't link to the website because my anti-virus warned me about visiting it, so I looked at a google cached snapshot instead, but you can google it if you want.)

I found her information interesting regarding the aspect:

Alice Portman said:
Maximum orb is 2 degrees.

The quincunx aspect is a little like a bridge between signs that are different by element and modality. Therefore they allow the person to have a rather quirky, flexible approach to situations that may cause puzzles or problems to those who don’t have planets in these signs. For this reason it often appears in the charts of those who are skilled at problem solving.

Quincunxes often describe a sense of humour – the ability to see the funny side of life in almost all circumstances – so they regularly appear in the charts of comedians. This is particularly emphasised if the quincunx is involved in a Pythagorean triangle (three or more planets in a square, quincunx and trine interlocking aspect) the type of humour is shown by the planets involved in the configuration.

And she continues discussing other matters including travel, death & love:
Alice Portman said:
The quincunx aspect by itself will always show when there are changes in the life. The signs and houses involved describe the area of change. As the unexpected is a keynote of the quincunx, these changes require you to be both flexible in approach and ‘on your toes’ when they are activated.

The potential for Long distance travel is almost always shown in the chart by a quincunx, either through transits, progressions or directions involving a planet in the 9th house or the ruler of the 9th house. It shows so frequently at times of travel because travel itself requires you to be flexible and open to changes

The quincunx aspect is almost always present when there is death as death also describes a period of considerable change both for the person who dies and their family and friends. The quincunx will involve the eighth house or the ruler of the eighth and the house that describes the person who dies. E.g. if there is a transit of Jupiter in the 4th house making a quincunx to Venus in the 8th house, which in turn rules the sign on the cusp of the 4th house, then a parent is likely to be the person who dies.

Home moves also almost always have a quincunx transit, progression or direction as does conception and childbirth.

It can even show up when you meet the love of your life as this is likely to completely change your life.

So, how accurate is this info? Has anyone seen this aspect contributing to the aforementioned descriptions in their charts?? Curious!

And should should 2 degrees be the max orb for an aspect like this??

Blacknight

Oh, and one more bit I just found on another website:

asntx.com said:
Dearborn, Lehman, and others do distinguish between the quincunx and the inconjunct as they are often called. They say that a quincunx is technically an inconjunct only if one of the two planets, sun or moon, involved is in a fixed sign. Otherwise, the aspect does not qualify as an inconjunct. If no fixed sign is involved then the situation is a little easier to handle.

Is that common knowledge or what? I've never heard of that before.

poyi

Premium Member
This is interesting. I read this before.

I have natal Pluto qunicunx Chiron 1 approaching orb. Pluto rules 2nd house Saturn, 3rd house Sun, Mercury in Scorpio (ascendant and MC ruler) both Mercury in Scorpio, Pluto in Scorpio aspect Moon in Capricorn in 5th. I do have a very dark sense of humor. I often see the funny side of illness and tragedy to make my patients laugh and be optimistic. I always tell them we are so bloody lucky living in Australia we have Medicare and none of these we have to pay then telling them this bottle of antibiotic can be very expensive; we are so spoiled, loved and people are so kind to us and tell them we made a fortune by no need to pay for any of these cost lol

I comfort them by making jokes with dark humor. I never tell them they are in bad situation, I always managed to make fun so they feel very lucky and strong then they also believed in themselves also capable of getting better. Sometime when their tests got delayed, I also make jokes about the bloody delay is insane, I actually stepped on their shoes and telling them OH MY GOD this is terrible but with very dramatic tone. Then they just laugh with me. Cause I acted more frustrated and they found it funny to them as I was just very loud and dramatic with my expression. Maybe they know I knew how they feel and acting/speaking out loud for them in funny and sarcastic way. It works, they usually feel less tense cause they can see that I care and felt the same way with them. Or maybe half the time they spent more time thinking this nurse is Nut rather than worrying their own problems!

Last edited:

Krewster

Blacknight, I've found pro website materials on the 150 to be largely misleading or at least less helpful to the process of internalizing this well-recognized minor aspect than either one's own efforts born of direct observations or reading up on others' direct experiences in forums (or blogs like @ Donna Cunningham).

For example, AFAIK, you have a pretty tight 150 between Merc and Pluto and so maybe you can share a bit about its feeling (e.g., are you too-intense mentally sometimes for others to enjoy socially or does such intensity cause you to miss something along the chain of logic...?).

Of course, your Merc's many other aspects may cloud this process. Probably better to find a familiar having a 150 to a personal planet which is not otherwise aspected.

But, yes, use even less than a 2 degree orb (to leave room for the tri-septile if/when you start focusing on that aspect).

byjove

Account Closed
Blacknight,

Thanks for that info. and for starting an interesting thread!

I totally understand what you mean about repeated info. It drives me crazy. It can't be accepted. There has to better out there.

I like the info. that you posted. There's even a positive slant on it - for once. The humour part might be right. I'm looking into that, though, my Sun/Moon quincunx is slightly larger than 2 degrees. I'm not sure if it applies. I have two more inconjunctions.

JUPITERASC

Ancient astrologers named the 150 degree aspect a 'DISJUNCT' :smile:

"....Planets inconjunct = out of each others sight
which can sometimes be translated as non-cooperative
not in touch
unable to communicate and so on

They are not in a position from which they can communicate with each other in any way
and unless they are brought together by a third planet
they stay out of touch

But, even then, the distance between them has a symbolical meaning..."
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5572

Frisiangal

Hi,
Alice Portman is a visitor to this site, , so may pick up on yourpost to add a personal comment.

I learnt much from the teachings of U.S. astrologer Ingrid Naiman who, although the most genuine 'spiritual' person I have ever met, gave a good practical working explanation of the quincunx/inconjunct.

You probably aren't old enough to be familar with a child's toy that was simply a piece of thin rope tied to sticks at each end. On the string was an object that would go either up or down, according to how you held the sticks and how taught the rope was. When the rope was horizontal, the object could do nothing; it could only move when the rope was vertical.

A quincunx/inconjunct acts similarly. The sticks are the planets, the rope is the 150* aspect and the object is the individual. Sometimes the one stick planet has the advantage, sometimes the other, according to the situation(direction movement). If the string is loose, neither stick planet has any advantage over the other; there's calm and some sort of equilibriuim. As soon as the string is taught, friction and tension arises and there is action. Stress and strain resulting from tension due to change is very much part of the 150* aspect. It isn't a question of choice between opposites; it's a question of having to go with the flow, either one way or the other, which, according to the situation, the planet with the advantage can deal with but the other planet is going to experience difficulty. E.G. Thought and action, substance and feeling, come or go, etc.etc. With the quincunx/inconjunct either can be right for the particular moment, with each helping rather than straining against the other to get a move on.

I've always found it a helpful and understandable explanation.

JUPITERASC

Disjunct = Inconjunct = Quincunx

Unless an intermediary can somehow bring the Disjunct planets together
then
because they cannot communicate with each other from their respective locations
they appear to ignore each other :smile:

mdinaz

And she continues discussing other matters including travel, death & love:

So, how accurate is this info? Has anyone seen this aspect contributing to the aforementioned descriptions in their charts?? Curious!

And should should 2 degrees be the max orb for an aspect like this??

I've definitely seen transiting objects that make quincunx to natal planets trigger major life events. Usually people only consider squares, oppositions and such as triggering life events but in my own chart many major relationships and other events have been started by quincunx transits. Currently I have transiting Pluto making a quincunx to my Jupiter and there have been many changes. Some of the changes have been uncomfortable but they have been for the better overall. Adaptation is the key.

As for the quincunx != inconjunct except when sun or moon involved or fixed sign, never heard that before. Still don't quite understand the statement.

For transiting planets I always use 2 degrees or less anyway, including quincunx - in natal charts 2 degrees is fine for this aspect, I wouldn't go any higher unless Sun or Moon is involved, in which case I might go 3. The quincunx is the integral part of the Yod aspect which I find very important in charts, and I always stick to the 2 degree rule with those.

Blacknight

Hey, I'm glad you guys found the info useful! Poyi, it's interesting you use humor to that effect in a hospital setting since chiron is supposed to be the wounded healer. With scorpio being the sign of regeneration, your explaination makes a lot of sense for that aspect.

Byjove, what are your other inconjunctions??

Blacknight, I've found pro website materials on the 150 to be largely misleading or at least less helpful to the process of internalizing this well-recognized minor aspect than either one's own efforts born of direct observations or reading up on others' direct experiences in forums (or blogs like @ Donna Cunningham).

For example, AFAIK, you have a pretty tight 150 between Merc and Pluto and so maybe you can share a bit about its feeling (e.g., are you too-intense mentally sometimes for others to enjoy socially or does such intensity cause you to miss something along the chain of logic...?).

Of course, your Merc's many other aspects may cloud this process. Probably better to find a familiar having a 150 to a personal planet which is not otherwise aspected.

But, yes, use even less than a 2 degree orb (to leave room for the tri-septile if/when you start focusing on that aspect).
(Here's my chart for reference.)

Yes, I have tight quincunx between pluto in scorpio (19'29") & mercury in aries (19'38")within 9 minutes of each other. Pluto also sextiles neptune in capricorn (16'46") the latter of which squares mercury to form a little triangle.

It's hard to say how that aspect manifests in my life, so you may be right about the other merc aspects clouding this configuration. I contemplate and daydream a lot. I write ideas down sporadically and save them to revisit later usually for either writing or art. Not sure if that's relevant?

Using the two degree orb, I also have a quincunx between saturn in aquarius & my midheaven in cancer within 47 minutes.

Here's a short sentence I found regarding the above aspect:
http://rainbowsendpress.com/astro/saasmc.html#inconjunct said:
Saturn Inconjunct Midheaven: Your career potential is often frustrated by heavy responsibilities.

If the quincunx triggers major life events then I'm curious about what next year holds in store. A progressed chart on June 22 2014 shows my sun will be inconjunct my ascendant (within 28 mins) & saturn will be at exactly 150 to venus. (Chart)

Last edited:

Blacknight

Frisiangal, that's a good description. I think I've seen that toy before too. I've been reading some more information on the aspect. I think another good definition would be unconscious friction or discord.

Disjunct = Inconjunct = Quincunx

Unless an intermediary can somehow bring the Disjunct planets together
then
because they cannot communicate with each other from their respective locations
they appear to ignore each other :smile:
Thank you for mentioning that JA. It's peculiar a minor aspect like this has three different words ascribed to it. Where did you find that definition btw??

I've definitely seen transiting objects that make quincunx to natal planets trigger major life events. Usually people only consider squares, oppositions and such as triggering life events but in my own chart many major relationships and other events have been started by quincunx transits. Currently I have transiting Pluto making a quincunx to my Jupiter and there have been many changes. Some of the changes have been uncomfortable but they have been for the better overall. Adaptation is the key.

As for the quincunx != inconjunct except when sun or moon involved or fixed sign, never heard that before. Still don't quite understand the statement.

For transiting planets I always use 2 degrees or less anyway, including quincunx - in natal charts 2 degrees is fine for this aspect, I wouldn't go any higher unless Sun or Moon is involved, in which case I might go 3. The quincunx is the integral part of the Yod aspect which I find very important in charts, and I always stick to the 2 degree rule with those.

I wonder if the quincunx might establish changes that were not seen coming in a progressed chart. Like completely unexpected surprising events for good or bad. If the moon & sun can receive a higher degree maybe that may account for the inconjunct distinction.

poyi

Premium Member
In transit and progression in particular, according to my boyfriend's interpretation, inconjunct/quincunx will bring in new situation in both good and bad that requires the native to adjust for the new change.

So I also do adjust the darkness and sadness of many medical things into something funny so we can cope.

byjove

Account Closed
Frisiangal - I really like that metaphor. I got a mental image of magnets while reading it. With that Metaphor, I can relate to my inconjuncts better. I recognise that I try to go in two very different directions at the same time and true, one must be picked. For this, I have a Virgo Moon (Cancer rising) applying to an Aries Sun.

Two more inconjunctions, nowhere near the first: Jupiter/Pluto and Uranus/Ascendent.

How do we know if we are managing the aspect well? Or if we're not? I think the houses of the planets involved decide which way I react.

As for a third planet acting as a way out, thankfully in each of the inconjunctions that I have, there is a third planet connecting the two. I don't yet know what that planet does/should do though.

One more thing - I have a transiting inconjunction imminent in just a couple of weeks. TR Saturn inconjunct Sun. This is a TR 5th to 10th house connection. Saturn rules my 7th and the Sun my 2nd. Change is exactly what I want most right now so I have no fear. If the Sun rules the 2nd, I'll be watching money. Jobs and emmigration are on the agenda right now so I know something's coming.

mdinaz

I wonder if the quincunx might establish changes that were not seen coming in a progressed chart. Like completely unexpected surprising events for good or bad. If the moon & sun can receive a higher degree maybe that may account for the inconjunct distinction.

I think they establish changes that "come from left field" - unexpected changes or changes that are at first uncomfortable but beneficial later.

Krewster

by orb order to your Merc:

150 to Pluto;
108 (tri-decile) to the Moon;
septile to Ven;
80 to Mars;
72 to Sat; and
90 to Nept.

Among the qualities often ascribable to Merc, your a.m. description appears attributable exclusively to the last one (the only major).

But that major would not indicate in you traits such as over-intensity or an above-average IQ or a melodious voice or an agressive excitability with your thoughts or indefatigable care with details.

Mix to taste....

Alice McDermott

The quincunx or inconjunct as it's otherwise known is an aspect of 150 degrees. Most sites I've run across have similar copy pasted info regarding it, however I recently found a website by an Alice Portman describing the quincunx degree more in depth. (I won't link to the website because my anti-virus warned me about visiting it, so I looked at a google cached snapshot instead, but you can google it if you want.)

Sorry about that Blacknight; my website has been suffering continuous attacks from hackers and when they succeed your anti-virus program protects your computer.

This problem is being fixed this weekend as I am getting my security strengthened considerably.

I am pleased you like my article on the quincunx aspect. The information was gleaned through observing the charts of thousands of my clients over the years.

Alice

JUPITERASC

Thank you for mentioning that JA. It's peculiar a minor aspect like this has three different words ascribed to it. Where did you find that definition btw??
Is this the information you needed? :smile:
Ancient astrologers named the 150 degree aspect a 'DISJUNCT':smile:

"....Planets inconjunct = out of each others sight
which can sometimes be translated as non-cooperative
not in touch
unable to communicate and so on

They are not in a position from which they can communicate with each other in any way
and unless they are brought together by a third planet
they stay out of touch

But, even then, the distance between them has a symbolical meaning..."
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5572

dr. farr

Ebertin and the cosmobiologie practitioners have made much use of the quincunx.

I have found the quincunx often of value in astro-medical analysis, also in symbolic directions: my maximum orb is 2 degrees (and in symbolic directions, 1 degree)

Frisiangal

Frisiangal - I really like that metaphor. I got a mental image of magnets while reading it. With that Metaphor, I can relate to my inconjuncts better. I recognise that I try to go in two very different directions at the same time and true, one must be picked. For this, I have a Virgo Moon (Cancer rising) applying to an Aries Sun.

I associate magnets with Neptune and oppositions. The irresistible physical attraction and repulsion of an object.

Aries Sun has the plan to want to do it. Virgo Moon pays the attention to details and proof the plan works before attempting it. Sun can become irritated of Moon's rationality before doind something; Moon can criticise Sun's spontaneous action and just jumping in without realisation of the consequences. E.g. Emmigration may be the plan but it means getting work, money, housing, legal passport, etc.etc. settled to avoid last minute chaos :biggrin:.

How do we know if we are managing the aspect well? Or if we're not? I think the houses of the planets involved decide which way I react.
If you don't get agitated at all, the inconjunct/quincunx is/are working well.

As for a third planet acting as a way out, thankfully in each of the inconjunctions that I have, there is a third planet connecting the two. I don't yet know what that planet does/should do though.
Look at it as a channel .....an intermediary.....that can be used to reach the others.

One more thing - I have a transiting inconjunction imminent in just a couple of weeks. TR Saturn inconjunct Sun.

A transit would work differently than a natal aspect, wouldn't it? It effects a period of time. The Sun wants to get going; Saturn in Scorpio will show the tendency to wait, according to the situations regarding the house realm through which it is passing. It will be sextiling the Moon in Virgo part of the inconjunct. Check the list ....twice...to see what's naughty and nice.

Apologies for spelling in previous post. Double Dutch is getting the better of me; 'taught' should have read 'taut'.:whistling:

Last edited:

Blacknight

Here's one more quote I found interesting:
asntx.com said:
The lower or waxing quincunx has a 1st and 6th house (Virgo) influence and is called the “health quincunx.” This is especially true if it relates to the 1st or 6th houses or their rulers in the timed chart. The upper or waning quincunx has a 1st and 8th house (Scorpio) influence and is called the “death quincunx,” but unless the regenerative side of this aspect (Scorpio) is recognized, its true significance is overlooked. This type of quincunx can also result in crises involving money (Scorpio). It is like a nagging problem operating over an extended time until circumstances develop forcing us to give it our utmost attention. Often its conflicts are not obvious to us. We need to make long-standing adjustments on the feeling level.

But that major would not indicate in you traits such as over-intensity or an above-average IQ or a melodious voice or an agressive excitability with your thoughts or indefatigable care with details.

Mix to taste....
That is interesting. Do harmonics figure into your chart readings a lot for minor aspects?

Sorry about that Blacknight; my website has been suffering continuous attacks from hackers and when they succeed your anti-virus program protects your computer.

This problem is being fixed this weekend as I am getting my security strengthened considerably.

I am pleased you like my article on the quincunx aspect. The information was gleaned through observing the charts of thousands of my clients over the years.

Alice
Hi Alice! I'm sorry to hear about the hacker attacks. I'm glad to hear your site will be getting more protection as I'd like to read more of your articles. :cool:

Is this the information you needed? :smile:
Oh, I was wondering about the definition of a true inconjunct needing an intermediary. Thanks for that link!

Ebertin and the cosmobiologie practitioners have made much use of the quincunx.

I have found the quincunx often of value in astro-medical analysis, also in symbolic directions: my maximum orb is 2 degrees (and in symbolic directions, 1 degree)

I'm curious Dr. Farr, what conditions would the quincunx relay from a medical standpoint? And have you seen it indicating the sudden onset of a condition in a transit??