Is Clinical Psychology for me?

Do you think a career as a Clinical Psychologist would be suitable based on my natal chart?

I have had little success in my life in terms of career, and I worry that pursuing this career path won't work out because of this feeling that I am constantly striving or failing. I am working towards a successful psychology career, but I worry I will never progress beyond where I am. Sometimes it feels like an unattainable goal.

I have linked my birth chart below. Feel free to use whatever house system you prefer.

https://imgur.com/kTEy0Fa

Last edited:

waybread

Your horoscope has expired. If you were trying to link it directly from your Astrodienst account, that tends to happen. There are stickies here on how to post a chart. Or use an image retrieval service like imgur.com and post the link.

waybread

I think you have some big questions to answer first, like are you in a university graduate degree program in psychology now, or working at the undergraduate level? You would need at least a Master's degree and perhaps a doctorate to become a clinical psychologist. Then it will take a lot of clinical hours and a board exam to get certified, as well. This will take a lot of focus and ability to stick to a plan, even if part way through you don't like it anymore.

I ask because your moon conjunct Uranus opposite Mercury looks like a recipe for changing your mind often. Your sense of failure may come from difficulties in sticking with a program if you suddenly (Uranus) feel (moon) you don't like it.

Neptune's involvement isn't helping much-- now you see your goal, now you don't.
A more severe case might result in attention deficit disorder.

So it's one thing if you do your best academic work but your profs are critical of it, but another thing if you simply cannot make yourself complete uninteresting assignments.

Most major universities do offer workshops for students in how to improve their chances for academic success in test-taking and paper-writing. Faculty and teaching assistants generally have office hours where you can get help with any difficult material. A study group with a few fellow students can be a big help.

A big mistake struggling students often make is thinking they have to work everything out on their own.

On the other hand, your moon-Uranus-Neptune in the 4th house of early childhood conditioning may give you special insights into children with difficult home lives or adults whose childhoods were difficult.

If you're worried about the rigour and length of time of a graduate psychology program, a less demanding but equally helpful profession might be social work-- or counseling.

With your sun right on your MC you should be able to make a name for yourself in your chosen profession. Your sun's trine to Saturn and sextile to Mars are big assets if you can just thank your feelings for sharing, and then continue with your chosen goals.

Thank you for your insights :biggrin:

I am aware of the long road to a Clinical Psychology career, I have researched it thoroughly and know the process. I am in my final year on Undergraduate and have gained high marks in everything so far. I have worked across Dementia, Learning Disability, and Mental Health services as a Support Worker for the last year or so as well. I am hoping to go do a Masters next year. Undergraduate and masters don't get you very much, it's the doctorate that I'd like to do. But it seems kind of like an impossible dream at this stage. I doubt myself sometimes, and wonder if I would be any good as a psychologist or not. I am also aware that I do change my mind a lot, as you mentioned! But psychology has been a long interest of mine, so I'm not sure that will change, but who knows. It could be that I go down a research route or a counselling route rather than clinical psychology. I know I need a career where I can use my brain. I get bored so easily and I have been bored in every job I have ever had. I like support work, but it's limiting. It also doesn't help that I have never had a good salary either. It's important for me to help others, but that in itself isn't enough. I need to feel challenged. Psychology is my second undergraduate degree, and I fear it leading nowhere :pouty:

'moon-Uranus-Neptune in the 4th house of early childhood conditioning may give you special insights into children with difficult home lives or adults whose childhoods were difficult.'
Yes, I empathise a lot with individuals who have had challenging childhoods because of my own experiences.

'With your sun right on your MC you should be able to make a name for yourself in your chosen profession. Your sun's trine to Saturn and sextile to Mars are big assets if you can just thank your feelings for sharing, and then continue with your chosen goals.'
I would like to unlock these placements somehow!

blackbery

Only you know if a career in clinical psychology is for you but you certainly have an ability & talent for probing the mind.
:jupiter: H12 of the subconscious naturally inclines you with talent to understand much of what is hidden :sextile::mercury:
:pluto: H3 of communications naturally inclines you with talent to proble deep into any subject, but particularly the mind. :trine::jupiter:

With those 2 aspects & houses, what about training to be a Jungian Analyst?
You would never be bored with such intense insight.
You have a bi-quintile involving :mercury::saturn: & this is one interpretation of it:

You have a talent for developing your own style or unique approach to a subject. You synthesize the models, concepts, or techniques of others into a pattern or design that is unique and personally comfortable for you. If you develop expertise or facility in any area, you will experiment and play with different conceptual models until you develop a new mold that suits your personal taste.

https://cafeastrology.com/natal/quintile_biquintile.html

You also have a bi-quintile involving :sun::pluto: with the ability to analyze others in a unique way.

The :sun::venus::conjunct:MC indicates you will be well-known within your community & peer group, possibly for your work or as your ability to be a peace maker. Diplomacy is definitely another career option you could consider.

I won't go into the other aspects which have already been discussed. Suffice to say, you are more than qualified to become a clinical psychologist but probably need more challenge. Jungian Analyst might be the answer or diplomat or even creative writing. You certainly have talent & ability in all these areas.

:wink::smile::smile:

AstroPunter86

I think your chart looks good for clinical psychology. Your Sun is in the 10th house of career in Gemini a sign that rules the mind. Jordan Peterson is a Gemini. Then your chart will progress through Cancer, an extremely subconscious sign, and ultimately your life will wind up with Sun conjunct Chiron, the asteroid associated with Healing. Plus your Ascendant in Virgo gives much success in matters of health.

I'm not sure psychoanalysis is an approach I am drawn to in terms of practice, I think it's interesting but somewhat outdated. It isn't really an accessible career path either- very few training courses and financially not really possible. Clinical psychology is the most accessible (yet also not that accessible!!). But I do recognise that something like being an analyst would keep me from getting bored!

Training to be a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, training as an art therapist, training in clinical health psychology, or training as a mental health nurse are my options at the moment for next year. I see these as stepping stones towards clinical psychology.

It's helpful to know there are parts of my chart that seem really beneficial for psychology. Sometimes I really doubt my social skills, which can hinder my confidence. Thanks for pointing out the beneficial aspects, I resonate quite a lot with them :smile:

I think your chart looks good for clinical psychology. Your Sun is in the 10th house of career in Gemini a sign that rules the mind. Jordan Peterson is a Gemini. Then your chart will progress through Cancer, an extremely subconscious sign, and ultimately your life will wind up with Sun conjunct Chiron, the asteroid associated with Healing. Plus your Ascendant in Virgo gives much success in matters of health.

That's good to know that I'm not embarking on a path that I'm not suited to. Thank you for your interpretation :smile:

Only you know if a career in clinical psychology is for you but you certainly have an ability & talent for probing the mind.
:jupiter: H12 of the subconscious naturally inclines you with talent to understand much of what is hidden :sextile::mercury:
:pluto: H3 of communications naturally inclines you with talent to proble deep into any subject, but particularly the mind. :trine::jupiter:

With those 2 aspects & houses, what about training to be a Jungian Analyst?
You would never be bored with such intense insight.
You have a bi-quintile involving :mercury::saturn: & this is one interpretation of it:

You have a talent for developing your own style or unique approach to a subject. You synthesize the models, concepts, or techniques of others into a pattern or design that is unique and personally comfortable for you. If you develop expertise or facility in any area, you will experiment and play with different conceptual models until you develop a new mold that suits your personal taste.

https://cafeastrology.com/natal/quintile_biquintile.html

You also have a bi-quintile involving :sun::pluto: with the ability to analyze others in a unique way.

The :sun::venus::conjunct:MC indicates you will be well-known within your community & peer group, possibly for your work or as your ability to be a peace maker. Diplomacy is definitely another career option you could consider.

I won't go into the other aspects which have already been discussed. Suffice to say, you are more than qualified to become a clinical psychologist but probably need more challenge. Jungian Analyst might be the answer or diplomat or even creative writing. You certainly have talent & ability in all these areas.

:wink::smile::smile:

I'm not sure psychoanalysis is an approach I am drawn to in terms of practice, I think it's interesting but somewhat outdated. It isn't really an accessible career path either- very few training courses and financially not really possible. Clinical psychology is the most accessible (yet also not that accessible!!). But I do recognise that something like being an analyst would keep me from getting bored!

Training to be a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, training as an art therapist, training in clinical health psychology, or training as a mental health nurse are my options at the moment for next year. I see these as stepping stones towards clinical psychology.

It's helpful to know there are parts of my chart that seem really beneficial for psychology. Sometimes I really doubt my social skills, which can hinder my confidence. Thanks for pointing out the beneficial aspects, I resonate quite a lot with them :smile:

waybread

If it's any consolation, universities are full of grad students and professors who feel like they are personally deficient and even imposters. https://www.apa.org/gradpsych/2013/11/fraud

In your chart this looks like Chiron in Leo in the 11th house of friends and associates.

Something to study so you can help your clients who doubt their own abilities.

Superman

Do you think a career as a Clinical Psychologist would be suitable based on my natal chart?

I have had little success in my life in terms of career, and I worry that pursuing this career path won't work out because of this feeling that I am constantly striving or failing. I am working towards a successful psychology career, but I worry I will never progress beyond where I am. Sometimes it feels like an unattainable goal.

I have linked my birth chart below. Feel free to use whatever house system you prefer.

https://imgur.com/kTEy0Fa

In my opinion, you should try to be a sportswoman.