becoming single-minded

tee_jay66

i wrote a similar thread recently but do not think I explained myself properly.
Swami Vivekananda states "Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream it, live on that idea. Let the brain, every muscle, nerve and every part of your body be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success"

Here is my dilemma. I want to become single minded in my pursuit of God. Im fed up of trying different religions, faiths and philosophies. I feel have a lot of info, but im spreading myself to thinly and am like a reed blowing in the wind without anchor. I want to grasp one idea, hold on to it and make it my life goal. I no longer want to be searching. I realise the mind will never be satisfied but I want to ground myself in a belief system to feel connection. Can anyone help or shed light on how they become single minded in one train of thought?

Mandy

Everything around you changes. People change, weather change, circumstances outside of your control change, even God's current plans for you change. Becoming single minded in one train of thought sounds rediculously impossible and inpractical, even leading to ignorant, to me. Though I can understand that some look for a way to anchor themselves, as you explain. The truth is, that everybody needs anchorage. Many people have it. Some dont and dont appear to mind terribly. To be anchored, I dont think you need to have one train of thought but you need a goal that is real (i.e., not in book or hypothetical or in your mind) and that goal needs to be something other than what you are already doing. Because what you are doing already is clearly not enough for you.

I know you have an interest in psychology. Why dont you go and do an access course at your local college in Psychology. You can intertwine into this theoretical knowledge all your previously held thoughts that you want to keep and establish from this one firm chord that is your guiding passion. Perhaps you can go on to help people and do God's work that way. Or write books. I dont know. The possibilities are endless. But I am writing in the sense of what drives and anchors me from a time when I was not and what little I know of you.

retinoid

Swami Vivekananda states "Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream it, live on that idea. Let the brain, every muscle, nerve and every part of your body be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success"

Here is my dilemma. I want to become single minded in my pursuit of God. Im fed up of trying different religions, faiths and philosophies. I feel have a lot of info, but im spreading myself to thinly and am like a reed blowing in the wind without anchor. I want to grasp one idea, hold on to it and make it my life goal. I no longer want to be searching. I realise the mind will never be satisfied but I want to ground myself in a belief system to feel connection. Can anyone help or shed light on how they become single minded in one train of thought?

You can start doing mantras. Om Namah Shivaya is an easy one to learn. Mantras help focus on one thought and the sound gives off a vibration which will affect your energy and eventually your life. To be single minded throughout your life---I don't think this is what he meant. For you cannot just think about 'god' in this earthly plane. But mantras will help you to begin to integrate god consciousness into everyday life. I personally like the Gayatri Mantra but it takes a while to learn the Sanskrit and Om Namah Shivaya works just as well :)

JUPITERASC

'Being single-minded' is a form concentration or mindfulness

However, being single-minded without reliable training from those experienced in that field could lead to imbalance.

So therefore
it is a good idea to develop concentration or mindfulness using tried and tested ttechniques such as those described in this talk by Ajahn Brahm at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVV0a3Ctmmc "Mindfulness With Compassion" :smile:

Sweet Pea

God isn't found in a set of concepts, philosophies, or belief systems and so you are on a 'road to nowhere' looking for him/she/it there.

Consider that you, and everyone around you, is an aspect of the infinite reality that some might call 'God'.

You are here to find out what you can do in 3d reality. If you hadn't had that intention, you wouldn't be here.

Everything you do is adding to the multi-perspective experience that God is having here.

'Looking' for God is God looking for himself and that's funny really!

Look in the mirror!

Whatever you do, you cannot fail to be doing God's intention, because you are that infinity living that infinity's life in this human body.

:biggrin:

tee_jay66

God isn't found in a set of concepts, philosophies, or belief systems and so you are on a 'road to nowhere' looking for him/she/it there.

Consider that you, and everyone around you, is an aspect of the infinite reality that some might call 'God'.

You are here to find out what you can do in 3d reality. If you hadn't had that intention, you wouldn't be here.

Everything you do is adding to the multi-perspective experience that God is having here.

'Looking' for God is God looking for himself and that's funny really!

Look in the mirror!

Whatever you do, you cannot fail to be doing God's intention, because you are that infinity living that infinity's life in this human body.

:biggrin:

Hi sweetpea
I appreciate what you are saying...but it cannot be that basic because, say fopr example....a new set of people were born and multiplied on a desert island and had no outside contact of books or anything of knowledge then they would have no idea of a concept of'God' or anything beyond survival. For us to think about 'God' or 3D reality or why we are here having an experience, we must have gotten that knowledge from somewhere...from other enlightened souls, books, word of mouth and so forth....every thought we think has been thought before. So surely what you have just described to me is what you have learnt from others or out of books :biggrin:

Sweet Pea

Yes, people have written this, or an explanation very similar, in many books now.

But once you've "got it", you don't need to keep on 'looking'. You would just be re-reading it all over again.

I have been guilty of reading this again and again. :D Although I didn't need to.

It wouldn't matter for the people on the desert island without any books. Even if they didn't know, they would still be being the Infinite having its experience.

K

Katydidit

for example....a new set of people were born and multiplied on a desert island and had no outside contact of books or anything of knowledge then they would have no idea of a concept of 'God' or anything beyond survival...

They would learn because the All would make it known to them, just as it did for us.

IMHO

retinoid

Hi sweetpea
I appreciate what you are saying...but it cannot be that basic because, say fopr example....a new set of people were born and multiplied on a desert island and had no outside contact of books or anything of knowledge then they would have no idea of a concept of'God' or anything beyond survival. For us to think about 'God' or 3D reality or why we are here having an experience, we must have gotten that knowledge from somewhere...from other enlightened souls, books, word of mouth and so forth....every thought we think has been thought before. So surely what you have just described to me is what you have learnt from others or out of books :biggrin:

Sometimes the most valuable knowledge just appears because it has always been there. Others have just picked up on it through the ages, but they did not come up with it.

Neptune Rising

Interesting, I have a belief in allowing myself to follow what the Universe wants of me. I do have my own wants, but often they will not materialise. I've found, when I follow my natural talent, follow and immerse myself in my interests, things just happen. After years, I finally was allowed through circumstance, to teach what I have my interests and talents in, and things have just happened and flowed from there.....It was when I let go of the 'want', I had the 'want' for years, and practised and studied around it.

I am not sure it is possible to clearly answer the question. You mention that you want to grasp one idea, hold onto it. I feel, when you have an idea that strong, you become the idea, the ideology, you live it without trying to hold onto it, it just become a part of you and your vibration. I do think though, there may need to be the want in the first place, and things lead on from there.

I also find, when teaching, I can never say any of the information comes from me, I try to catch it but often cannot, and I wonder where it comes from. But then, this is just my own philosophy and belief (Jupiter in Pisces) and is not for all.

Last edited:
K

Katydidit

... I also find, when teaching, I can never say any of the information comes from me, I try to catch it but often cannot, and I wonder where it comes from...

Perhaps it is simply the All making itself known to you.
Every true teacher is also a forever student - if only one milestone ahead of the younger.

If your intentions are well-meaning, wouldn't you get help along the way? Where that help comes from -- ah, that's a mystery of the ages.

All of the above IMHO.

You've named it yourself, Nep. If you're rising, you're still learning. That's the makings of a great teacher -- or at least a life full of learning. Blessed be you in the eyes of all if you are doing your best to pass it along.

retinoid

Interesting, I have a belief in allowing myself to follow what the Universe wants of me. I do have my own wants, but often they will not materialise. I've found, when I follow my natural talent, follow and immerse myself in my interests, things just happen. After years, I finally was allowed through circumstance, to teach what I have my interests and talents in, and things have just happened and flowed from there.....It was when I let go of the 'want', I had the 'want' for years, and practised and studied around it.

I am not sure it is possible to clearly answer the question. You mention that you want to grasp one idea, hold onto it. I feel, when you have an idea that strong, you become the idea, the ideology, you live it without trying to hold onto it, it just become a part of you and your vibration. I do think though, there may need to be the want in the first place, and things lead on from there.

I also find, when teaching, I can never say any of the information comes from me, I try to catch it but often cannot, and I wonder where it comes from. But then, this is just my own philosophy and belief (Jupiter in Pisces) and is not for all.

Well want is coming from a feeling of lack. A feeling of not having. If you are looking into life with 'lack' then everything feels gloomy. If you look through 'abundance' then things become magical. Of course you will not always be positive, especially in these trying times. And a shift takes a while. Especially if you were particularly negative (like I was...). :happy: Looks like you are catching on though.

Neptune Rising

Well want is coming from a feeling of lack. A feeling of not having. If you are looking into life with 'lack' then everything feels gloomy. If you look through 'abundance' then things become magical. Of course you will not always be positive, especially in these trying times. And a shift takes a while. Especially if you were particularly negative (like I was...). :happy: Looks like you are catching on though.

I go through cycles of 'lack' 'abundance' satisfaction, dissatisfaction, but its part of life. Sometimes, from being in a state of balance, I seek imbalance to go through the process that I learn so much from. I have a bit of Pluto influence though and I need this or I feel I am not moving, progressing, learning and experiencing. I understand myself though and I go through these stages with a fair amount of awareness, a fair amount, getting reasonably lost here and there. I guess this sounds completely opposite to the OPs question of how to become single minded, I that I am more and more allowing myself to flow, which could be an influence of Nep in my chart. Perhaps, to become single minded, there needs to be some Saturn influence, or Pluto to really dig deep into the subject of interest.

tee_jay66

I go through cycles of 'lack' 'abundance' satisfaction, dissatisfaction, but its part of life. Sometimes, from being in a state of balance, I seek imbalance to go through the process that I learn so much from. I have a bit of Pluto influence though and I need this or I feel I am not moving, progressing, learning and experiencing. I understand myself though and I go through these stages with a fair amount of awareness, a fair amount, getting reasonably lost here and there. I guess this sounds completely opposite to the OPs question of how to become single minded, I that I am more and more allowing myself to flow, which could be an influence of Nep in my chart. Perhaps, to become single minded, there needs to be some Saturn influence, or Pluto to really dig deep into the subject of interest.

hi,I was wondering how long it has taken you to reach this stage in your spiritual journey. You mention awareness. So the way I see that is that you are 'aware' of having experiences but you are detached from them. This is a highly evolved state and im wondering if you still experience emotions and events from a lack of awareness where you become stuck in the ego or drama of your life?

I started out pretty well on the Buddhist meditations and yoga practices, watching my thoughts and not attaching to them but when a mini emotional crisis came along I fell apart and still haven't recovered. Now im not sure if I ever did awaken? It sounds like you are more spiritually evolved and be able to maintain your essence for longer. I wondered how you are managing to achieve this yourself?

Do you believe we have to try to awaken the chakras? and how to know which ones to start with? I think you can awaken the root chakra but when problems arise and we panic, the kundalini energy resorts back to dormancy again

yes, I do have 4 planets in the 8th house, so probably why Im trying to dig deeper?...but to where???

Neptune Rising

I started out pretty well on the Buddhist meditations and yoga practices, watching my thoughts and not attaching to them but when a mini emotional crisis came along I fell apart and still haven't recovered. Now im not sure if I ever did awaken? It sounds like you are more spiritually evolved and be able to maintain your essence for longer. I wondered how you are managing to achieve this yourself?

Do you believe we have to try to awaken the chakras? and how to know which ones to start with? I think you can awaken the root chakra but when problems arise and we panic, the kundalini energy resorts back to dormancy again

yes, I do have 4 planets in the 8th house, so probably why Im trying to dig deeper?...but to where???

Hi Tee jay

I considered this today, I was more aware a few years back after I'd done about three 10-day silent meditation retreats within a year. They are breath awareness, no mantras, just observing the breath for 10 days in silence. I was more detached and aware of how I reacted to events around me. Now though, I haven't meditated in some time, I become more absorbed in my emotions, events, people, everything around me. I still have the basic techniqeue that I learned to bring my awareness back to my breath and I find a bit of detachment. But yes I do feel emotions, very much.

I think the big disappointment that I feel now, is that I have been in that state of somewhere near balance, and now I find myself unbalanced again. I also am going through a crisis, (someone close to me) and have become quite absorbed in that. I wouldnt say I am totally lost in it, I have one little toe out of the water, I have some awareness of how I'm reacting but I'm pretty much absorbed.

I started yoga 22 years ago, meditated here and there. Started on mantras in 2003, counted mala beads, did that for some years but it never really took me deep enough to really understand myself. They did help me calm myself which is helpful. The only meditation technique that took me to my core was the breath awareness silent meditation 10 day courses. One of those changed me, 3 of those grounded me in self acceptance. I do have involvement in my ego, dramas of life, I almost seem to invite them sometimes to learn from them and dive into life experiences, but I have the self awareness I think to actually see a bit more clearly what I'm going through.

I've never looked deeply into chakras, but I know someone who had some healing recently and they had their chakras worked on. They did feel different after that, I sensed it in them, more balanced.

I teach yoga, I can sometimes get an idea of where there may be an imbalance in the chakras from looking at a person's posture. For example, the solar plexus chakra, the ego, may show some imbalance if the person has a posture where the belly area protudes in some way. I had this for a while with the womanly type of forward tipped hips, I'm correcting it! Someone with rounded back so the chest is compressed and shoulder hunched in may have an unbalanced heart chakra. That's the only way I know about the chakras.

I love the thing I learned through meditation, is the answers are all inside. I found my answers, I've lost some of them and hope to find them again.

tee_jay66

Hi Tee jay

I considered this today, I was more aware a few years back after I'd done about three 10-day silent meditation retreats within a year. They are breath awareness, no mantras, just observing the breath for 10 days in silence. I was more detached and aware of how I reacted to events around me. Now though, I haven't meditated in some time, I become more absorbed in my emotions, events, people, everything around me. I still have the basic techniqeue that I learned to bring my awareness back to my breath and I find a bit of detachment. But yes I do feel emotions, very much.

I think the big disappointment that I feel now, is that I have been in that state of somewhere near balance, and now I find myself unbalanced again. I also am going through a crisis, (someone close to me) and have become quite absorbed in that. I wouldnt say I am totally lost in it, I have one little toe out of the water, I have some awareness of how I'm reacting but I'm pretty much absorbed.

I started yoga 22 years ago, meditated here and there. Started on mantras in 2003, counted mala beads, did that for some years but it never really took me deep enough to really understand myself. They did help me calm myself which is helpful. The only meditation technique that took me to my core was the breath awareness silent meditation 10 day courses. One of those changed me, 3 of those grounded me in self acceptance. I do have involvement in my ego, dramas of life, I almost seem to invite them sometimes to learn from them and dive into life experiences, but I have the self awareness I think to actually see a bit more clearly what I'm going through.

I've never looked deeply into chakras, but I know someone who had some healing recently and they had their chakras worked on. They did feel different after that, I sensed it in them, more balanced.

I teach yoga, I can sometimes get an idea of where there may be an imbalance in the chakras from looking at a person's posture. For example, the solar plexus chakra, the ego, may show some imbalance if the person has a posture where the belly area protudes in some way. I had this for a while with the womanly type of forward tipped hips, I'm correcting it! Someone with rounded back so the chest is compressed and shoulder hunched in may have an unbalanced heart chakra. That's the only way I know about the chakras.

I love the thing I learned through meditation, is the answers are all inside. I found my answers, I've lost some of them and hope to find them again.

Hey
thanks for your reply which was very interesting. Im glad im not alone in feeling unbalanced at times, even after a daily yoga practice and breath work. Like yourself ive practiced yoga for many years but recently with more dedication and awareness. I really did think this would balance me. I did feel more centered, calm and my thoughts were more clear and rational......so when my emotional crises came and I fell apart, I thought all my work had been undone. I thought I was waking up my kundalini energy and finally it was moving.
Ive just had another emotional crisis over the weekend and had to turn to medication to help me through the day!!!.........I feel very disheartened by this, for the fact I could not cope with life's dramas. Im trying to see it all as a game.

I was interested in you saying that breath awareness really took you to your core. Can I ask whether the answers you received through your breath work, were they personal answers to your own life journey? or are they more universal answers?

Is there a way I can connect more fully to my core if |I cannot go on silent retreats?

Neptune Rising

Hey
thanks for your reply which was very interesting. Im glad im not alone in feeling unbalanced at times, even after a daily yoga practice and breath work. Like yourself ive practiced yoga for many years but recently with more dedication and awareness. I really did think this would balance me. I did feel more centered, calm and my thoughts were more clear and rational......so when my emotional crises came and I fell apart, I thought all my work had been undone. I thought I was waking up my kundalini energy and finally it was moving.
Ive just had another emotional crisis over the weekend and had to turn to medication to help me through the day!!!.........I feel very disheartened by this, for the fact I could not cope with life's dramas. Im trying to see it all as a game.

I was interested in you saying that breath awareness really took you to your core. Can I ask whether the answers you received through your breath work, were they personal answers to your own life journey? or are they more universal answers?

Is there a way I can connect more fully to my core if |I cannot go on silent retreats?

Its a pleasure to discuss it Teejay, thanks for letting me.

I was thinking to add this after, but I realised, the balance and answers that I found are always inside. I am feeling as if I've lost them, but I know (logically) they are always there, just waiting to be found again. I just need to meditate again.

I also feel, I have been too hard on myself when my spiritual practice goes adrift as it has been this last year. Its all part of the learning, at least that is how I approach it.

The answers I received were personal answers, I got an understanding of myself more of the unconscious side of myself that I would never touch upon during mantra meditation. That was from doing 10 day silent meditation courses Vipassana. I think, the personal answers also related to how I understood the world around me, so in some ways, they were Universal as well. The fact that found the part of 'mind' that is silent, beyond the chatter... (when I say silent mind, its not forcing the usual multitude of thoughts out, but rather, finding a way to go beyond them and loose attachment to the thoughts), enabled me to somehow sense more or feel more of the other person/people in my interactions with them. And I got such a connected feeling, connected to everything around me.

I know its still there, just a matter of tuning into that vibrational level again.

I've turned to medication during my crisis, more of the wine type though, but not too much to excess. I've learned to accept though from the meditation course, things 'as they are'. From there, I can find a way forwards.