Another name for the sign of "Cancer"

savanna

Does anyone call this sign by a different name? To avoid confusion with the disease Cancer?

What are alternate names for this sign? I was thinking maybe calling it Cancerian, in all instances, instead of Cancer, but that would sound weird "Moon in Cancerian".

What do you suggest?

Whoam1

Cancri [cahn-kree] is the genitive for the constellation of cancer. However tropical systems don't align with the constellations so this would be misleading in that sense.

Karkinos is the crab that cancer represnts . I think this is the most befitting, pronounced as car-key-nhos with a rolled r.

petosiris

Banned
Does anyone call this sign by a different name? To avoid confusion with the disease Cancer?

What are alternate names for this sign? I was thinking maybe calling it Cancerian, in all instances, instead of Cancer, but that would sound weird "Moon in Cancerian".

What do you suggest?

Honestly, I would prefer if we all switched to Crab, Lion, Maiden, Scales, Scorpion, Archer, Goat-Horned One, Water-Pourer, Fishes, Ram, Bull and Twins. That way more people would think of images rather than seasons. Of course that is not going to happen.

Whoam1

Honestly, I would prefer if we all switched to Crab, Lion, Maiden, Scales, Scorpion, Archer, Goat-Horned One, Water-Pourer, Fishes, Ram, Bull and Twins. That way more people would think of images rather than seasons. Of course that is not going to happen.

Stop cutting off the tail of capricorn. Goat-mermaid if you must. Must be centar-archer too btw.

petosiris

Banned
Stop cutting off the tail of capricorn. Goat-mermaid if you must. Must be centar-archer too btw.

It is supposed to be short. Otherwise we can go with winged centaur archer, because you know that sign is winged according to some ancient depictions (and Valens).

Whoam1

It is supposed to be short. Otherwise we can go with winged centaur archer, because you know that sign is winged according to some ancient depictions (and Valens).

Except then you relay inaccurate information. If you say to me here have a goat, im not expecting it to have a fish tail.

Sagcap88

What do you suggest?

I just call it “cancerian sun”, “cancerian moon”, etc as much as possible.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

90 - 120 longitude?

The glyph looks like 69, I think that is far more elegant. 96 is perhaps the best option.

Great suggestions, and I agree with 69 being elegant. 96 connote an angry couple who hasn't reached the stage where one is sleeping on the couch. Or siblings sharing a bed, but that's the domain of Gemini imo

david starling

What do you suggest?

Funny you ask. I've been calling it "Mer", for years. I picture it as the Mermaid. I even use a glyph similar to Scorpio, with the tail curling below the letter M. The word Mer is about the sea, with its tides ruled by the Moon. The Mermaid is opposite the Sign of the Sea-goat, known as Capricorn.

Last edited:

david starling

Problem is, no one knows what I mean by Mer, so unless I'm reading for someone personally, so I can explain it, I stick with convention. Also, a lot of Mers seem to like the Crab metaphor. :biggrin:

david starling

Mer-crab :love:

Mer-goat :)

Although Capricorn can be called "Mergoat", it's usually called the "Goatfish", or "Seagoat" when it's not being called just plain Capricorn.
I'm using "Mer" by itself in place of "Cancer", with the symbol of the Mermaid/Merman instead of the Crab. Although, I suppose Mer people can be just as crabby as a few other Signs I won't mention. :biggrin:
This makes both Solsticial-signs half fish; both are combos; but, like Sagittarius, Mer is upper-half human.