How to make a Horary Chart: (Instructions)

appleberry

Because someone asked in a private message how to do this, I thought I would copy-paste it here for others who do not know how to make a Horary Chart. This is not the only type of Horary Chart but it is a widely accepted form.

HOW TO MAKE A HORARY CHART:

1. go to www.astro.com (you should have your own free account)

2. select MY ASTRO

3. select ADD NEW ASTRO DATA

4. first name= write your horary question here if you like/ choose EVENT/ all the other 'birth' information is: the exact time and place that you asked the horary question (the birth of the question)

5. continue and on the next page you are taken to select FREE HOROSCOPES

6. select EXTENDED CHART SELECTION

7. on the Extended Chart Selection page, choose the following options:

-Horoscope for: your horary question

-type of chart: Natal

-drawing style: Astrodienst Style (works best for me)

-House System: Regiomontanus

- Additional objects: I only use Pars Fortunae... I haven't read anything about anything else helping, except for other Arabic Parts. Putting all of the other asteroids can be too much. They don't really offer information that is reliable and too many objects makes the chart too small and hard to read. Less is more in this case.

-Additional Asteroids: sometimes I will try to find the asteroid names for the people involved, especially the querent and quesited, or of the location if there is another location involved... just for interests sake. I've never read anything about this info being reliable for readings but I like to see it for myself.

-MEAN NODE and SOME FIXED STARS give necessary information in Horary.

If anyone has another way of doing it that they would like to share, feel free.

dr. farr

No I think those are perfect instructions :biggrin:(except, as you know, I would make the house system choice Whole Sign:surprised:!)
A valuable posting for those new to our AW horary forums-thanks!

Inline

...No I think those are perfect instructions :biggrin:(except, as you know, I would make the house system choice Whole Sign:surprised:!)

I have just tried practicing creating a new horary chart using the helpful info (thanks appleberry!) and tested both of the house systems...

- in Regiomontanus, Saturn was in the 9th house
- in Whole Sign, Saturn was in the 7th house creating a horary stricture making the chart invalid.

Is there a difference which house system to use depending upon the question, perhaps? I had asked the question 'where is Bob Zenco?'

(edit: i just realised that i spelt his name incorrectly, it should be Bob Zemco...maybe that had something to do with my question??)

Last edited:

appleberry

I understand that regiomontanus was the system used when Horary was developed, so the rules were based on regiomontanus. But I understand whole system was a typical form at the time. Not 100% sure though.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Right (Appleberry) Regiomontanus is THE house system used by most in Western horary today-this is largely due to the influence of William Lilly (1600's) upon (standard) Western horary practice since that time, up to the present.

However, the earlier history of Western horary shows that different house systems were used:
-the earliest horary pioneers (first generation, early Islamic transitional era times) used whole sign house format
-2nd generation and later authorities (later 9th and 10th centuries) used the Alchabitius house system (closely related to the ancient porphyry house format), as did Guido Bonatti (13th century, most important re-organizer of Western horary prior to the time of Lilly)
-around the 14th century, Western astrologers began using the Regiomontanus house system (supplanting the earlier porphyry, Alchabitius and Camapanus formats), and, as I mentioned above, Lilly chose to use the Regiomontanus system as well.

In Eastern (ie Vedic) horary, called "prasna", which predates Western horary, either the whole sign, equal house or sripati (ie porphyry) house format, have been used (whole sign or equal house since ancient times, sripati since about the 11th century)

appleberry

Thanks for the added info.

I see many people posting Placidus charts. Where does Placidus figure in to this? Or are they just posting placidus because its the default house system on Astro.com?

dr. farr

That's hard to say: many of our Modernist friends who use horary, and quite a few Traditionalists also, simply apply their usual use of the predominant Placidus house system, to horary; also, many of the horary posters asking the horary questions here on AW, automatically erect their charts on astro.com in the astro.'s default Placidus house format. For me its very easy to simply visually convert the Placidus house chart to whole sign, however that would not be so easy to do, visually, in converting Placidus to Regiomontanus.

Paul_

Account Closed
As Dr Farr says, people use Regiomontanus today for one real reason: William Lilly did it and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.

There's nothing wrong with that mentality but it has lead to a belief that horary ONLY works with Regiomontanus which as Dr Farr highlights is incorrect.
The main reason we use it today is that those who rediscovered horary in the late 19th century early 20th century did so via Lilly and so used his house system. Why Lilly used that house system is very straightforward: there was more access to the table of houses for Regiomontanus, currently en vogue at the time.

I am of the opinion however that any of the major house systems could work because horary is not a science but instead a divinatory art. Use whatever house system works for you and stick with it. I personally use regiomontanus because of habit but have been known to switch to equal or whole if I think the situation isn't described well by Regiomontanus. In fact I tend to default back to Equal in any branch of astrology from time to time or when significations becomes difficult to determine.

appleberry

Interesting. Thank you both. I'm afraid to judge other charts because I get a very high rate of accuracy with regiomontanus and whenever I use another system, its not accurate...

JUPITERASC

Thanks for the added info.

I see many people posting Placidus charts. Where does Placidus figure in to this? Or are they just posting placidus because its the default house system on Astro.com?
“... In no other area of astrology is there so much mess and confusion than in the area of the so-called "houses".

There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity

The more commonly known house systems are:
Whole signs(oldest)
Equal House(1st century BC)
Porphyry(3rd century AD)
Alcabitus(6th century)
Campanus(13th century)
Regiomantus(14th century)
Placidus(17th century)
and Koch(20th century)

Others include:
Meridian(Midheaven), Topocentric, Morinus, Horizontal, Geodetic, Zodiacal, Svarogish, Krusinski, and so on...”
http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/wholesignhouses.html :smile:

appleberry

Thank you :)

But I wonder, since I guess al the rules I know are Lilly's rules, and are meant for his choice Regiomontanus, then do I use the same rules, adapted rules, or completely different rules for other house systems, such as placidus?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Lilly's horary rules don't differ very much from the past astrologers from whose works he quotes. This includes the Arabs who used Whole Sign or Alchabitius, and I'm not sure Bonatti used Regiomontanus either, but, for the life of me, I cannot recall what system he used. Perhaps Placidius?

dr. farr

But I wonder, since I guess al the rules I know are Lilly's rules, and are meant for his choice Regiomontanus, then do I use the same rules, adapted rules, or completely different rules for other house systems, such as placidus?

Yes you would use whatever rules/methods you have accepted, regardless of house system format you choose.
If you have had good success with Regiomontanus, then by all means continue with Regiomontanus:joyful:!

Paul_

Account Closed

Lilly never says to use Regiomontanus anywhere that I recall, instead he just happened to use whatever tables he had easy access to - in his case Regiomontanus. If we look at the history of horary as a timeline no astrologers all used the same house system. If you want to use Regiomontanus do so, but do not think it's a requirement of horary.

September9059

Because someone asked in a private message how to do this, I thought I would copy-paste it here for others who do not know how to make a Horary Chart. This is not the only type of Horary Chart but it is a widely accepted form.

HOW TO MAKE A HORARY CHART:

1. go to www.astro.com (you should have your own free account)

2. select MY ASTRO

3. select ADD NEW ASTRO DATA

4. first name= write your horary question here if you like/ choose EVENT/ all the other 'birth' information is: the exact time and place that you asked the horary question (the birth of the question)

5. continue and on the next page you are taken to select FREE HOROSCOPES

6. select EXTENDED CHART SELECTION

7. on the Extended Chart Selection page, choose the following options:

-Horoscope for: your horary question

-type of chart: Natal

-drawing style: Astrodienst Style (works best for me)

-House System: Regiomontanus

- Additional objects: I only use Pars Fortunae... I haven't read anything about anything else helping, except for other Arabic Parts. Putting all of the other asteroids can be too much. They don't really offer information that is reliable and too many objects makes the chart too small and hard to read. Less is more in this case.

-Additional Asteroids: sometimes I will try to find the asteroid names for the people involved, especially the querent and quesited, or of the location if there is another location involved... just for interests sake. I've never read anything about this info being reliable for readings but I like to see it for myself.

-MEAN NODE and SOME FIXED STARS give necessary information in Horary.

If anyone has another way of doing it that they would like to share, feel free.
Hi. This is my 1st time here. The reason is I have a horary question but need an online way to do it. I was really happy to see you referred to Astrodienst as I've been using the site for many years.
However, I ran into an issue immediately. My question wouldnt fit into the 1st name line.So clearly my question remains unasked & unanswered. I was exited I might be able ask it. But instead I was disappointed.
Idk why it's so hard for me to find an online source to make (or have made) a chart for my horary question. Any suggestions, anybody? I'd sure be grateful if anyone could help.

Osamenor

Staff member
@September9059 you don't have to put your whole question in the name line on the chart. Where you need to put the question is in your post on this forum, which you will upload the chart to. People will read your post, not the chart, to find out what the question is.

All you need to put on the chart is something that will help you remember which chart it is. It can be an abbreviation of your actual question, or it can be something like, "Question about romantic possibility with P," or, "Career question on (date)." (If your question is about another person (for example, a love interest), do not write out their name, that would be providing identifying information about someone else without their consent. An initial will do.)

You can also use both the first name and the last name line on Astrodienst to put in your question. It will appear as one phrase on the actual chart.