The planets and their sexual gender

Cosmiccradle

Re: Mars as masculine AND feminine, to autumn

But there weren't ten planets in ancient times.
Foolish me to answer in that context, no there wasn't, I mean the mentality to balance out for the sake of balance, 7 to 12, 10 to 12, 15 to 12. I would say go with what you have and stop when we have 12 to 12. I don't agree with a double placement, one planet for two signs, or two planets for one sign. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cosmiccradle

Kaiousei no Senshi to further with my last post, you'll have to be patient with me in some matters, one is that i'm not at home with all the english terminology, secondly I find myself sitting behind the computer lately tired and with too many thoughts, which often creates incomplete thoughts or sentences. Either way, if you find a mistake, please let me know so that I can correct it, and not cause any misunderstandings, and that goes without saying for all or any of you that come across questionable sentences, or explanations.

wilsontc

Staff member
debating the points not the grammar, to Cosmic

Cosmic,

You said:
you'll have to be patient with me in some matters, one is that i'm not at home with all the english terminology, secondly I find myself sitting behind the computer lately tired and with too many thoughts, which often creates incomplete thoughts or sentences...if you find a mistake, please let me know so that I can correct it, and not cause any misunderstandings

You are perfectly understandable and your grammar is fine. I think I and everyone here are debating based on your points and not on your grammar.

Focusing on the points,

Tim

Cosmiccradle

Re: debating the points not the grammar, to Cosmic

Cosmic,

You said:

You are perfectly understandable and your grammar is fine. I think I and everyone here are debating based on your points and not on your grammar.

Focusing on the points,

Tim

Good lord the big guns are out (Senior Member, Moderator, Administrator):w00t:, hello Tim. Why yes all criticism and thoughts are welcome on any points or views I have, I was merely stating that what I had written was not what I meant. What I meant was that I was not keen on the ancient method of distribution, 7 to 12, which later became 10 to 12. Clearing up misunderstandings before they get out of hand is an essential thing on a forum and moreso under astrologers.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Cosmiccradle

Anyone else want to give this a try? I'm still looking for a complete overview to planetary gender. I'd like to finish my Almuten analyses.

david starling

Re: Mars as masculine AND feminine, to autumn

Foolish me to answer in that context, no there wasn't, I mean the mentality to balance out for the sake of balance, 7 to 12, 10 to 12, 15 to 12. I would say go with what you have and stop when we have 12 to 12. I don't agree with a double placement, one planet for two signs, or two planets for one sign. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I've included two Domicile-rulers of an unusual sort--the Ascendant, which is easily linked to the ancient Greek god of Sunrise, Apollo; and the Age-indicator, linked to Gaia, Greco-Roman goddess personifying the Earth. I'm calling it 12/12, meaning one-on-one Domicile-rulerships.
It's the extreme importance of these 2 measured points that qualifies them to be considered "major players". The Asc is Domicled in Sagittarius, and the Age-indicator in Taurus.
Once the pattern is established using the 12 Domiciles, other rulership types fall into place in a regular manner.

JUPITERASC

You got it exactly right, Tim.
The reason why the planets rule two signs
is

so they can have both a masculine expression in their day houses
and a feminine expression in their night houses.

The Sun and the Moon cannot have opposite-gender expressions,
so only have one sign. :)
Thanks for explaining the rationale of why planets rule two signs :smile:

The image of the Crab is feminine
The image of the Lion is masculine
The image of the Maiden is feminine
The image of the Scales is masculine
The image of the Scorpion is feminine
The image of the Archer is masculine
The image of the Goat-Horned One is feminine
The image of the Water-Pourer is masculine
The image of the Fishes is feminine
The image of the Ram is masculine
The image of the Bull is feminine
The image of the Twins is masculine

Such, then, are the observations of the effects of the stars as made by our predecessors..

Bibliography:
Ludwich, A. (Ed.). (1877). Maximi et Ammonis carminum De actionum auspiciis reliquiae: accedunt Anecdota astrologica. BG Teubneri. Retrieved from
https://archive.org/details/maximietammonisc00ludw/page/n3
Manilius, & Goold, G. P. (1985). Astronomica. BG Teubner.
Robbins, F. E. (1940). Ptolemy: Tetrabiblos. William Heinmann, London. Retrieved from http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html
Schmidt, R. The Astrological Record of the Early Greek Sages. Project Hindsight.
Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley. Retrieved from https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf

CapAquaPis

Almost a whole decade went by and this thread had to be revived for goodness sake. IMO, there are 4-8 masculine, 4-8 feminine and 4 dual-gender planets, the 7 traditional or classics, 3 modern or outer, and 2 newly-discovered dwarfs:

Masculine: Sun, Cruithne, Mars, Jupiter, Chiron, Saturn, Uranus, and Pluto. Feminine: Moon, Mercury, Venus, Lilith, Ceres, Neptune, Eris, and Sedna. And dual-genders (can have qualities of the other gender): Mercury, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto.

Aquarius is ruled by a dual-gender planet, although in a masculine sign: Uranus and then there are proposals to have Eris a co-ruler, a feminine planet. And the traditional rulership of Saturn is still valid, that's a heavily masculine planet.

david starling

Almost a whole decade went by and this thread had to be revived for goodness sake. IMO, there are 4-8 masculine, 4-8 feminine and 4 dual-gender planets, the 7 traditional or classics, 3 modern or outer, and 2 newly-discovered dwarfs:

Masculine: Sun, Cruithne, Mars, Jupiter, Chiron, Saturn, Uranus, and Pluto. Feminine: Moon, Mercury, Venus, Lilith, Ceres, Neptune, Eris, and Sedna. And dual-genders (can have qualities of the other gender): Mercury, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto.

Aquarius is ruled by a dual-gender planet, although in a masculine sign: Uranus and then there are proposals to have Eris a co-ruler, a feminine planet. And the traditional rulership of Saturn is still valid, that's a heavily masculine planet.

Yin and Yang are better descriptions of the placements and Signs than masculine and feminine. The Fire and Air-signs supply Yang qualities to the placements. The Earth and Water-signs supply Yin qualities. Plenty of women who are predominantly Yang, and men who are more Yin. Yang sends, Yin receives.
As for Uranian Domicile-rulership of Aquarius, I no longer use the masculine version of the Ancient Greeks, who was deposed and dispensed with. His granddaughter Urania, daughter of Mnemenosyne, goddess of Memory, replaced him as the personification of the Heavens. She's also the Modernistic ruler of astrology, as befits her role as the Muse of astrology and astronomy. I have to write it Urania:)uranus:) to make that clear, though.
Urania:)uranus:) is both feminine and Yang. Mercury is decidedly masculine, and capable of being both Yang and Yin, a necessity for the planet of communication, which is about both sending and receiving.

Last edited:

david starling

Both Moon and Sun are obviously Yang, since they both send so much light. The gender isn't the issue. The original Moon-deity within recorded history was masculine, in ancient Sumeria. There are cultures with a Sun-goddess, which doesn't change its Yang nature.
The difference is in the Domicile-rulerships: The Moon (notice the gender-neutral names we use for both luminaries) is Domicled in a Water-sign, so it's a Yang-ruler of a Yin-sign. Whereas the Yang Sun is Domicled in a Yang-sign.

JUPITERASC

The Moon, like the Sun, is a Luminary.
Moon is a Luminary ONLY BECAUSE MOON reflects sunlight

Both Moon and Sun are obviously Yang,
since they both send so much light.
Siriusly false premise :smile:
Moon REFLECTS light of the Sun - has no light otherwise
It's Sun that "sends out so much light"
so as a consequence Moon as well as Mercury
and Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn are all visible

david starling

Would it be reasonable to say that androgynous planets are masculine in a masculine sign and feminine in a feminine sign?

Gender aside, you raise a good point. I singled out Mercury as being both Yang and Yin. But, it seems you're correct. All the Planets have that feature, it just stands it more with Merc.
In fact, I've become convinced that the best ancient personification of Planet Mars in its Yin function is actually the Greco-Roman goddess Demeter/Ceres, goddess of Nature, who had no ancient planet of her own.
The real question is, what causes a Planet to shift from Yang to Yin?
You're suggesting it's the Sign-placements.

Last edited:

david starling

In that case, there's only one Luminary by your definition.

JUPITERASC

The Moon, like the Sun, is a Luminary.

Both Moon and Sun are obviously Yang,
since they both send so much light.

In that case, there's only one Luminary by your definition.
Clearly by any definition

"The Luminary commonly referred to as the Moon"
nevertheless is well documented as
"A Luminary that illuminates by reflecting the light of the Sun" :smile: