View Single Post
Unread 06-03-2017, 04:58 PM

Re: Will midterms usher in new control in U.S. House?

Would the DNC rather have Pence in office, possibly stepping back from where trump is leading the GOP or let the sexual predator continue to lay the foundation to nearly destroy the party in the next 2 elections?

If this investigation could be continued until there isn't much time left for campaigning before charges for anything are put before the Congress I think it would be most damaging for them. Running for re-election while supporting trump's policies or after punishing the leadership behavior that was damaging to their constituents.

They should be aware that after the crash of 1929 Republicans could not elect a president after 1928 until 1952, losing 5 consecutive bids for the presidency and that they held a majority in the Senate for only 4 years between 1933 and 1981 - 44 years out of 48 in the minority and in the House those same 4 years between 1933 and 1995 - 58 years out of 62 in the minority. After the 1930 midterm elections Republicans controlled the White House and the Congress for the next 2 years. In the next 70 years they only had control of the White House and the Congress in 1953 and 1954 when Eisenhower was president, then not again until the 2000 election when Bush 2 was elected. - 2 years out of 70. They paid a heavy price for their governing policies that led to the Great Depression.

With an awakened and involved electorate we could make great strides after undoing what damage the GOP can do in the next 19 months when the next Congress will be sworn in. I think we gain control of the House in 2018 and can prevent any Republican bills from getting to the White House if we want to, then sweep into control of both Congress and the White House in 2020 and be in a position to pass many reform bills into law.

Before a Democrat could be sworn in (2021) it is likely that 3 Supreme Court vacancies will occur: Ginsburg would be 87 on March 15th, 2020, Breyer would be 82 on August 15th, and Kennedy would be 84 on July 23rd. The court could be stacked 7 to 2 favoring conservative appointees. I would really like to see President Obama fill one of those vacancies but would he want to?