Is Astrology a Religion?

Monk

Premium Member
The most powerful religious connection, is when Sirius rises with the Sun, obviously Hitler was looking overall, but his focus was LONDON!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adlertag

On 13th August 1940, Sirius rose with Sun in LONDON, i've checked by astronomy and STARLIGHT, but starlight is about big cost!

Perhaps next debate?

Starlight graph on private members download:-

Always note i'm ill, i'm only dangerous in debate, i'm a very wounded LION, i will spit at you as cats do...only in debate ha ha! I don't really bite!

Attachments

• picture 60 40%.jpg
    picture 60 40%.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

david starling

The practice of "Propitiation" regarding the Planets is an example of how Astrology and Religion are intertwined. Especially because the Planets have the names of, and are described in terms of, the ancient gods and goddesses.

JUPITERASC

The practice of "Propitiation" regarding the Planets
is an example of how Astrology and Religion are intertwined.

Especially because the Planets have the names of, and are described in terms of, the ancient gods and goddesses.
For those interested there is a thread discussion on "The practice of 'propitiation' regarding Planets"
i.e.
PLANETARY CHARITY
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91045 :smile:

Hello everyone,

Anyone here has tried this ritual elaborated by renaissance astrologer Christopher Warnock?

http://www.renaissanceastrology.com/planetarycharity.html

This is done to mitigate the harmful effects of some planets in our natal chart......

Thank you.
Larxene Xenohart

waybread

The practice of "Propitiation" regarding the Planets is an example of how Astrology and Religion are intertwined. Especially because the Planets have the names of, and are described in terms of, the ancient gods and goddesses.

David, it's been a while since people have worshipped the ancient Roman gods for whom the planets are named.

I started believing in a God or a Divine energy after I began studying Astrology. IMO, It seems like an impossible task to remain an atheist once you begin studying your chart, and the charts of others and see just how deep the rabbit hole goes and how much people manifest their charts to a T along with their life experiences.

It does sometimes feel like a religion. I know it's made me a much more spiritual person, more open and understanding to others as well. I'm definitely not as quick to judge as I once was.

I'm a devout Astrologer:wink::joyful::joyful: We should have a symbol to wear, lol.

Amen to that!

david starling

David, it's been a while since people have worshipped the ancient Roman gods for whom the planets are named.

Propinquity to ancient Religions is apparent in the practice of Propitiation.

Here's a question for you, meaning I'd like your (always informed) opinion: In your opinion, could the terminology "Supernatural Force" be understood to mean any cause of an effect, when neither cause nor effect is recognized as such by Modern Science (ie. Planet-linked influence in Astrology), but is subjectively apparent to me (and so many others)?

Last edited:

waybread

So glad to see you back Waybread!

Regarding your comment I do not know if you know that there are tons of people which are still worshipping the Egyptian deities, so many occultists, white & black magicians....I made an attempt one day with Isis, the real Isis, Blavatsky's Isis Unveiled...but I got a serious warning the very same day and I gave up, something very bad happened and I ended up in the hospital. So it's working, believe it or not all the gods are still alive there somewhere....

anca, they may be alive in our imaginations.....

waybread

Propinquity to ancient Religions is apparent in the practice of Propitiation.

Here's a question for you, meaning I'd like your (always informed) opinion: In your opinion, could the terminology "Supernatural Force" be understood to mean any cause of an effect, when neither cause nor effect is recognized as such by Modern Science (ie. Planet-linked influence in Astrology), but is subjectively apparent to me (and so many others)?

Quite likely.

Note that many scientists believe/d in God.

The question is, what your whom do you believe God (or gods) to be?

david starling

Amazing answer anca! It would fit in with the Aquarian Age board perfectly, regarding how the Age change-over will affect Astrology itself.
I read a different version about Mercury and Apollo, the Greek gods Hermes and Apollo: Zeus told Hermes to introduce himself to Apollo as his new, younger brother. When Hermes observed how serious Apollo was about caring for Gaea's cattle, he decided to try to "lighten him up" with a trick he thought Apollo would find clever and amusing. Instead, his older brother became enraged, and proceeded to begin strangling him to death. Zeus was keeping an eye on things, and put a stop to it. Hermes (not Apollo) was very apologetic, and wanted to do something to smooth things over; so he invented the stringed instrument known as a Lyre and presented it to Apollo as a peace offering. Apollo loved it! This was the start of Apollo eventually becoming the God of the Nine Muses, and of a beautiful friendship between the two brother-gods.
Since I see Apollo as the god of the Ascendant, this would be about the relationship between the planet Mercury and the point of Sun-rise [IMO]

Last edited:

arya ishtar

I'm basically an agnostic, or so I thought. My relationship with Astrology is intrinsically spiritual, so maybe I am religious after all! Believing in invisible forces, "communing" with them through the ritual of drawing charts, and being linked to the past through this ancient practice...and seeking its guidance; councilling others on their life paths. Gods and goddesses aside! If Astrology is a Religion, it's noncoercive, egalitarian and very loosely organized!

i think the basis of religion is belief in something you can't see, something for which you have no proof or even recent reinforcement. (2,000 years ago was a loooong time ago.) but astrology is belief in something you *can* see, something that is repeatable, documentable, and measureable. (*for* those same 2,000 years and then some!)

it is art *and* science...so a belief system, maybe? not a religion (thank the gods, as i would then avoid it like the plague) but an avenue of transcendence, especially when struck with the "aha!", the "in-spiration". (<-- the breath of god, or god breathing into you.) but then again, i could be wrong...

david starling

i think the basis of religion is belief in something you can't see, something for which you have no proof or even recent reinforcement. (2,000 years ago was a loooong time ago.) but astrology is belief in something you *can* see, something that is repeatable, documentable, and measureable. (*for* those same 2,000 years and then some!)

it is art *and* science...so a belief system, maybe? not a religion (thank the gods, as i would then avoid it like the plague) but an avenue of transcendence, especially when struck with the "aha!", the "in-spiration". (<-- the breath of god, or god breathing into you.) but then again, i could be wrong...

Although, I have the impression they WERE "seeing" evidence their religious beliefs were real. It comes down to a combination of "Seeing is Believing" with "Believing is Seeing". Even today people are having Visions that confirm their Religious convictions.:innocent:

JUPITERASC

Although, I have the impression they WERE "seeing" evidence their religious beliefs were real.
It comes down to a combination of "Seeing is Believing" with "Believing is Seeing".
Even today people are having Visions that confirm their Religious convictions.
:innocent:
Clearly, people having Visions confirming their Religious convictions works only for those people "seeing those Visions"
because they are the only ones who are "seeing that Vision/those Visions"

and
seven billion people on planet Earth NOT privy to that particular "Vision Viewing" are not unexpectedly unconvinced :smile:
by the fact that ONE person is "seeing that Vision"

david starling

Clearly, people having Visions confirming their Religious convictions works only for those people "seeing those Visions"
because they are the only ones who are "seeing that Vision/those Visions"

and
seven billion people on planet Earth NOT privy to that particular "Vision Viewing" are not unexpectedly unconvinced :smile:
by the fact that ONE person is "seeing that Vision"

Agreed. But it appears all of today's major religions are based on prophetic Visions that had enormous impact in the distant past, and most members of the Religions take them on faith as proof their religious beliefs are true. And, the few who are still having such Visions offer reinforcement. Billions of people subscribe to some version of one of those major Religions and take the recorded accounts of ancient Visions and Prophecies as evidence their spiritual beliefs are valid. "Thank the gods:lol:" that Astrology isn't necessarily a religion!

JUPITERASC

Agreed. But it appears all of today's major religions are based on prophetic Visions that had enormous impact in the distant past,
and most members of the Religions take them on faith as proof their religious beliefs are true.
And, the few who are still having such Visions offer reinforcement.
Billions of people subscribe to some version of one of those major Religions
and take the recorded accounts of ancient Visions and Prophecies as evidence their spiritual beliefs are valid.

"Thank the gods:lol:" that Astrology isn't necessarily a religion!
New Discovery

Apocryphal books Esdras and Wisdom seem to show that Bible translation process at Cambridge

worked completely different than previously known.
People were assigned individual sections of the Bible and then worked on them almost entirely by themselves
hilariously, Professor Miller noticed that the draft suggests
Ward was picking up the slack for another translator.
This really shows how human the entire job was, according to him.
contrary to the claim that the Bible is the “actual word of God.”
While this finding certainly doesn’t disprove God,
it does show that the translators of the Bible didn’t get a finalized product the first go around
NOT a walk in the park with an angel telling them what to write :smile:

It took many different individuals, working separately
and they often suffered from man-made struggles,
like meeting deadlines.
doesn’t sound that much different from the writers of today’s workforce http://churchandstate.org.uk/2015/1...es-bible-discovered-reveals-no-divine-powers/
or even astrology

muchacho

Agreed. But it appears all of today's major religions are based on prophetic Visions that had enormous impact in the distant past, and most members of the Religions take them on faith as proof their religious beliefs are true. And, the few who are still having such Visions offer reinforcement. Billions of people subscribe to some version of one of those major Religions and take the recorded accounts of ancient Visions and Prophecies as evidence their spiritual beliefs are valid. "Thank the gods:lol:" that Astrology isn't necessarily a religion!

Yes, similar to Law of Attraction, astrology doesn't actually care about morality or religion. However, you cannot practice astrology successfully without any kind of psychic ability because astrology is a tool for translating a reality that is beyond the reach of the intellect into the language of the intellect. That's why a computer will never be able to replace an astrologer.

arya ishtar

Although, I have the impression they WERE "seeing" evidence their religious beliefs were real. It comes down to a combination of "Seeing is Believing" with "Believing is Seeing". Even today people are having Visions that confirm their Religious convictions.:innocent:

ahh, yes, but are *science and math* working *with* or *against* those convictions? :andy: