Why is astrology condemned by the world?

desiredusername

Even though some religions acknowledge it's existence and validity, like Judaism. They condemn the use of it, and apply their own self founding principles based from it and consider that sacred. Islam, undoubtedly not being much different.

Im not even going to mention the ignorance of Christians, as I've grown up in that world. At least other religions seem more exciting, I did not like growing up as a Christian. That is to say until I found the self contradictory nature of the religion and starting looking to venture spiritually away from it. Away from my "salvation" by one human being eons ago who's message resonates in everyone, not just him.

Now I understand that religions are really to just shape the world, by humans?? Not within the nature of the earth itself. Perhaps because we've gone long past from the days of the proverbial Adam and Eve?

If this is so, And I am all for a safe and rightly justified world to live in, why is personal practice of astrology looked down upon so much?

Is there any practicing Theologians and/or Theosophists that can explain that there is indeed room for studying astrology in accordance to today's religions?

Or will this be continually spat on my the majority of mainstream society? Despite the fact that astrology is seemingly a more valid practice that is used.

It's symbolism is EVERYWHERE! Even today for god's sakes. Why has astrology been kept underwraps, even though it's also always been used by "secret" societies and rituals. Why do You and I have access to this knowledge that built the world, but yet we are crazy people? (to many)??

Virinchi

world is run by organized crime (read as religions), who dont want you to know truth by yourself.
they want to project their 'truth' as universal
astrology in sanskrit is 'jyotish', which means it shows 'jyoti'(light)
need not be kept a secret

it may talk about many issues like past lives, rebirth, karma, planets etc, which may not be accepted by many organized crime worlds and modern pseudo scientists

desiredusername

So in this equation I would assume that all religions are invalid...

So what are you if you study astrology? To me, it's more of a hobby, a rather deep one at that, but still a hobby. I mean, I can look into the future, how is that crazy, but not really cool? Aside from that is this truly a new age thing? It coincides at the center of everything esoteric!

It's even in video games, but kid's don't really acknowledge it. I recall assassins creed 3 being much-so astrology related and everything that comes along with that.

Like.. is this forum an example of our evolution to a better world?

I just wanted to point out that this forum has some very profound information resonating in it.

not to mention the Astrodienst and sites of the like...

Zarathu

Account Closed
After studying Astrology for 40+ years, after taking specialized training, and studying with one of the more famous astrologers of the 20th century, after being about 50% thorough writing my own volume on how to do astrology in a completely new way(using all the old techniques of the centuries), I have to admit that I don't really give a cr@p what the uninformed public says about the subject.

When they ask me what I am doing, and seeing me work on it would be about the only way they would find out, I just tell them that I've been a professional astrologer for a long time, just as I was a professional counseling psychologist for a long time. And if they ask me what my Sun sign is, I start in on a description that causes them to say, "That seems pretty complicated." To which I reply that it is the most complicated body of symbolic knowledge of the universe known.

And then they go away. Science has its own ideas. My PhD astro-physicist son does his best to pretend that he doesn't know his dad is an astrologer.

Z

P.S.: Quakers as a group generally lump astrology into a possible characteristic of continuing revelation. Quakers believe that the words of God are continually revealed in many many ways. And since they have only one tenet for joining(there is that of God in all), they are not against astrology. Unitarians have some of the same flavor. Many far eastern religions recognize astrology in some form or another. I think perhaps you are only talking about rather fundamental Christianity. And Fundamental Christianity doesn't even recognize Catholics as Christians, or on all parts of the Bible as correct.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Right: we find acceptance of astrological elements/concepts in Hinduism, Budhhism, Taoism, neo-Confucianism; also within certain more mystical (non-mainstream) Christian approaches (such as Rosicrucian Christianity-see for example the works of Max Heindel)
Hard nosed secularism-whose concepts and biases dominates the modern world-is (and has been) actually more intolerant of astrology, than religion (looked at as a whole) has been.

desiredusername

I think perhaps you are only talking about rather fundamental Christianity. And Fundamental Christianity doesn't even recognize Catholics as Christians, or on all parts of the Bible as correct.

Basically Baptist, or more so a form that's been stretched from early 50's America.

I grew up attending these schools, and it felt more like you were trapped in a cage than anything else. We were still memorizing bible verses before i left, in mid high school; I never felt like we were getting to the core of what it was all about, even though we were reminded every day by walking through the halls.

The exchange to a public school felt more real and wholesome, not this other bogus place where you couldn't even hold hands with a girl in the hallway for gods sake. Not that I ever even achieved that there (because I was so awkward) but still. (i could have :wink:)

Now the secular world, it's still not much different. No one "gets" why I study astrology other than that I might have some personal problems, it may be cool to some; but now im honestly even confusing myself here.. maybe it's the hardcore Athiests that are worse :andy:.

Basically, I just made this thread because I see a lot more potential in Astrology in comparison to many dying faiths and beliefs out there. Not to mention the intellectual potential it has to self actualize the world..

I think astrology should help us to explore other planets!!! And how is it not in relation to Einstein's theory of relativity? :unsure:

I am relative to the planets, and stars.. and gasses.. and all that space junk out there that are much larger in comparison to me. How are those not the real Gods? (in theory)

desiredusername

You know, I hate to put it so brazenly..but apparently our old principal there, whom everyone knew personally. His daughter recently passed... when I heard of this through a 3rd party something felt very wrong... the girl seemed very bright, I could see it if I ever had look her in the eyes. Maybe it's cause I understood, and I assumed... she killed herself. It's a night mare because ****... I knew her family, her mom was loving, she was my english teacher. It must be very bad for them.

I feel this is apart of a personal chronical, or witness so to speak. Because i really do see what may have been occurring with her family behind closed doors, yet it was so easy to see it with her. :frown: Hurts my heart, I think people are clinging on to lost ideals in a tough economical period in these times.

I never talked to her, but somehow I could really relate.

JUPITERASC

Even though some religions acknowledge it's existence and validity, like Judaism. They condemn the use of it, and apply their own self founding principles based from it and consider that sacred. Islam, undoubtedly not being much different.

Im not even going to mention the ignorance of Christians, as I've grown up in that world. At least other religions seem more exciting, I did not like growing up as a Christian. That is to say until I found the self contradictory nature of the religion and starting looking to venture spiritually away from it. Away from my "salvation" by one human being eons ago who's message resonates in everyone, not just him.

Now I understand that religions are really to just shape the world, by humans?? Not within the nature of the earth itself. Perhaps because we've gone long past from the days of the proverbial Adam and Eve?

If this is so, And I am all for a safe and rightly justified world to live in, why is personal practice of astrology looked down upon so much?

Is there any practicing Theologians and/or Theosophists that can explain that there is indeed room for studying astrology in accordance to today's religions?

Or will this be continually spat on my the majority of mainstream society? Despite the fact that astrology is seemingly a more valid practice that is used.

It's symbolism is EVERYWHERE! Even today for god's sakes. Why has astrology been kept underwraps, even though it's also always been used by "secret" societies and rituals. Why do You and I have access to this knowledge that built the world, but yet we are crazy people? (to many)??
Many of us are also seeking answers to this - as well as to similar questions in relation to the lack of respect being accorded to the practice of astrology desiredusername!! :smile:
e.g.

On this thread anyone's opinion is welcomed.

Frequently, a thread is inspired from comments during a discussion on another topic at another thread that raises interesting questions that were not fully discussed because they were not on that particular topic - so a new thread must be opened in order to discuss those issues separately - and this thread is inspired by interesting questions raised at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59872 when a poster commented that since Astrology is unregulated there is no official requirement to pass any exams or obtain official qualifications before beginning to practice

When considering that fact, one wonders whether perhaps one of the reasons astrology and astrologers are not considered 'scientific' is because - surprisingly - anyone can legally practice astrology without officially completing any recognized course of study! For example, anyone with a few hundred dollars to 'invest' may simply purchase software that prepares and prints out astrological data that one may then legally sell on as 'an astrological reading'

By simply paying for the software then permission is granted to sell computer calculated 'readings'. There is no necessity to even print these reports out because as soon as a client has paid, then the report can be emailed to the client - so becoming an astrologer in that case is a simple financial transaction!

Example

http://www.world-of-wisdom.com/ anyone purchasing their software, is then licensed to input their own name at the heading of the report as the 'astrologer' and then sell the report to clients

QUOTE sourced from 'world of wisdom'

“.....An horoscope report is the next best thing to having your chart done by a professional astrologer. Although astrology reports are put together by a computer, there are certain things which can be done by a computer-generated report that an astrologer often does not have time to talk about. Basic trends and in-depth psychological issues can be covered extremely well. Every angle is covered - something a professional astrologer often does not have time to do. Furthermore you receive a detailed written report with full-color chart wheel from 20 to 40 pages in length...”

BUT 'World of Wisdom' do not highlight that anyone born the same day would receive an identical report for which they would each pay a considerable sum of money!

In fact, there are no laws to prevent anyone from setting up as an 'astrologer' even though that person has NEITHER purchased software with which to generate 'reports' to sell on to clients NOR completed any course of study but has simply decided they can do it, based on their own personal judgement of their own level of skill.

Perhaps that is why astrology is considered unscientific and unreliable by so many members of the public.

HOWEVER - In contrast though, there ARE many excellent practicing astrologers who HAVE completed astrological courses of study at the end of which they have been awarded a 'Certificate' or a 'Diploma' or official validation of some kind such as offered by Kepler College Online or by Robert Schmidt at Project Hindsight http://www.projecthindsight.com/ or by any well known and well respected internationally known astrologer such as Robert Zoller http://www.new-library.com/catalogue/courses/medieval-astrology-foundation-course/rz000111.html

The question is, WHO, IF ANYONE - is a credible authority that has the knowledge to define the official parameters of 'sufficient basic astrological qualification' that any individual would be expected to achieve BEFORE beginning any astrological practice that has paying clients?

astro11

I think the most widespread reason why astrology is condemned is ignorance. Many people don't know anything except their Sun sign and the daily horoscope written in the newspaper or magazines. If they don't fit with their sun sign, they erroneously conclude astrology must be false. The predictions made in the paper are too general to be of any use and we as astrologers know its impossible to make accurate predictions based on sun signs alone. The solution to this would be for astrologers to educate the public but we can only reach so many people and they must be open minded. Another problem is that people who visit astrological websites, lectures and workshops for further education are already interested in astrology, so attracting the general public is a challenge. Personally, I don't want to spend my life defending astrology to stubborn people. I would rather live my life in peace and I'm sure many other astrologers share my sentiment. Astrology has helped me tremendously and has enabled me to help many others go through very tough times and gain much better self understanding. For that reason, I don't care what the uninformed world thinks of astrology.

Another reason why astrology is condemned is religion. Many people don't know that the largest astrological library is in the Vatican. They would like people to believe astrology and religion are incompatible so only a select few people have this special knowledge. I get the question of how I reconcile my astrological and religious beliefs all the time, so I wrote an article on my website explaining to people why astrology is not incompatible with religion. However, it is the case again that people who read my article have to be receptive to the thoughts contained in it for an attitude shift to occur.

Zarathu

Account Closed
You know, I hate to put it so brazenly..but apparently our old principal there, whom everyone knew personally. His daughter recently passed... when I heard of this through a 3rd party something felt very wrong... the girl seemed very bright, I could see it if I ever had look her in the eyes. Maybe it's cause I understood, and I assumed... she killed herself. It's a night mare because ****... I knew her family, her mom was loving, she was my english teacher. It must be very bad for them.

I feel this is apart of a personal chronical, or witness so to speak. Because i really do see what may have been occurring with her family behind closed doors, yet it was so easy to see it with her. :frown: Hurts my heart, I think people are clinging on to lost ideals in a tough economical period in these times.

I never talked to her, but somehow I could really relate.

UMMMMMM..... How is this related to your question of why astrology is condemned by the world? Perhaps I am too dense, and it should be obvious to me.

JUPITERASC

..... Another reason why astrology is condemned is religion. Many people don't know that the largest astrological library is in the Vatican. They would like people to believe astrology and religion are incompatible so only a select few people have this special knowledge. I get the question of how I reconcile my astrological and religious beliefs all the time, so I wrote an article on my website explaining to people why astrology is not incompatible with religion. However, it is the case again that people who read my article have to be receptive to the thoughts contained in it for an attitude shift to occur.
The connections of astrology and religion have been noticed and commented on by many - including: :smile:

COMPLETE ORIGINAL 2007 ZEITGEIST WITH 2010 UPDATES BY PETER JOSEPH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guXirzknYYE

the video begins with 4 minutes of brief consideration of the implications of our collective avoidance of 'the Now' followed by visuals until the 9 minutes mark when the words:

“The more we begin to investigate what we think we understand where we came from, what we think we're doing, the more you begin to see we've been lied to... We've been lied to by every institution....”

'....Be sure to check out this 220 page Source guide http://zeitgeistmovie.com/Zeitgeist,%20The%20Movie-%20Companion%20Guide%20PDF.pdf As requested by Zeitgeist creator Peter Joseph, I have replaced the original Zeitgeist movie which has well over 1.25 million views with this updated for 2010 version. The meat and potato's of it are the same, there's some new information and the quality of it is improved upon....'

Last edited:

serafin5

So in this equation I would assume that all religions are invalid...

So what are you if you study astrology? To me, it's more of a hobby, a rather deep one at that, but still a hobby. I mean, I can look into the future, how is that crazy, but not really cool? Aside from that is this truly a new age thing? It coincides at the center of everything esoteric!

It's even in video games, but kid's don't really acknowledge it. I recall assassins creed 3 being much-so astrology related and everything that comes along with that.

Like.. is this forum an example of our evolution to a better world?

I just wanted to point out that this forum has some very profound information resonating in it.

not to mention the Astrodienst and sites of the like...

You are right that there is profound information resonating from this forum; that's a huge part of how I found myself here and why I've stayed. But I just had to share with you that like Zarathu, I have been studying astrology since I was 16 years old while at the same time attending my father's Christian church and trying to navigate and heal from a tragic childhood. And sadly I was further hurt and traumatized by people professing to be Christians in that church; it was a nightmare and really confusing to me at that age. I learned that religion has absolutely nothing to do with God or one's spirituality whatsoever, however I have felt and seen more Christian values at work here and/or astrology than anywhere ever and I'm still studying astrology at 49 years old! And I know I'm not alone in witnessing this phenomenon either, and for me this nor astrology really has nothing to do with predicting the future; at least not for me. I am merely seeking my own truths amongst kindred spirits.

Sorry to get a bit preachy; it runs in my family.:biggrin:
Serafin 5