Do I still have a YOGAKARAKA even though I use Tropical Astrology

Crystalpages

In tropical astrology I have Mars Conjunct Ascendant in Cancer, does that mean it's a YOGAKARAKA?

One can experiment "any which way prefers and can", and many TRUTHS have been revealed in MANY sectors and disciplines, but when digressing into "uncharted waters", ONE is pretty much on his/her own...!

Crystalpages

In tropical astrology I have Mars Conjunct Ascendant in Cancer, does that mean it's a YOGAKARAKA?

NO!

Unless you are in Chennayi, you might never experience or taste DOSA or THOSAI?

Won't work if you are in Grand Forks, U.S.A. and trying to find an Indian Restaurant...?

Same deal with astrology

RishiRahul

Well, parashara (and others) mentioned that lordships are used to identify yogakarakas; which are entirely dependent on lordships only

Their sign position, bhava position and aspects are subsidiary influences.
For example for Meena lagna, Jupiter is a yogaKARAKA, regardless of its position, aspects, etc

Yogas are combinations of planets giving results in different aspects of life; for example dhana yoa, daridra yoga etc

RishiRahul

Crystalpages

A: As per Parashara, in Chap. 33, Sls. 25-30 the description includes:
- Planets in own, exalted, friendly kshetras (signs) when in mutual angles (kendras) are yogakaraka (especially beneficial)
-- If in 10th, extremely potent for creating benefits

- Planets in own, exalted signs in lagna, 4th, 7th, and particularly the 10th are yogakarakas

- Exalted planets in mutual angles (kendra) placed in lagna, 4th, 7th, and particularly the 10th are yogakarakas

- Exalted planets in mutual angles (kendras) in any houses in the horoscope are yogakarakas

Nativities born in above combinations rise high in life, even if born in low (castes, socio economic) circumstances, and if born in high socio-economic families rise even higher

B: There is also an alternative description given which is more stringent and involves the 9th and 10th house (signs therein) and union (sign conjunction) leads to dharma-karmadhipati (dharma=9; karma =10; adhipati=ruler/lord/owner) yogakaraka combination

C: And the most strict definition, one comes across, is the situation when any planet rules a trine and an angle (1,4,5,7,9,10 houses), then it becomes the yogakaraka for the chart. Sun and moon do not qualify in this since they only rule one sign each. Some jyotishis utilize these two luminaries too if they are in conjunction (also this would be a amavasya (new-moon) which is not considered auspicious/benefic per se! Aries and Scorpio which miss out on having a yogakaraka by consideration (C) thereby getting a back-door entry into the yogakaraka hall of fame (!). The common (dual; dwiswabhava) signs are considered devoid of having no yogakarakas or weak yogakarakas on two counts by virtue of some interpretations:
C1: Kendradhipatya dosha = natural benefics ruling angles, kendras become weak and even malefic
C2: Lagna is a trine as well as an angle (albeit with reduced potency).
- C2': has been extrapolated to imply that all lagneshas (lord of first house) are yogakarakas.

D: There might be even more subsequent and subsidiary recommendations and reinterpretations from different schools and cohorts, etc., about what or who should be considered a yogakaraka in a chart! Possibly some in the "OTHERS" that you mentioned!

Hence, my remark earlier about **compendium** and *Pandora's Box*...!

Having earlier expressed my personal views in this thread over tropical and sidereal astro-salad (using jyotish yoga and other concepts with tropical zodiac), I do not feel necessary to reiterate...!

Last edited:

RishiRahul

Chapter 33 of BPHS is about 'effect of karakamsa', and chapter 34 is about yogakarakas, in the version I have.

Then I checked up the pdf version on line, and internet archive version on line. Both concurs with chapter 34 being yogarakaraks.
https://shenjiva.com/Vedic/BrihatParasaraHora.pdf
https://archive.org/stream/ParasharaHoraSastra/BrihatParasharaHoraSastraVedicAstrologyEbook_djvu.txt

The chapter 34 on 'yogakarakas' mention yogarakas being determined by lordships.
Throughout my life thats what I understood; and even the PBHS concurs.

Confusing! Oh my God!!

RishiRahul

muchacho

The Yogakaraka for Cancer Ascendant is Mars. However, vedic astrology is sidereal (unless you are practicing tropical vedic astrology). So this my not apply.

Crystalpages

I follow the Chaukhamba (Varanasi) edition (in devnagri) in which the chapter 33 contains the section "Yogakaraka Grahas" (citation quoted by me in my sharing). I realize that different versions (english translations and interpretations) have different chapter numbers, including at least one rather popular edition which even has several chapters missing! :)

As to "confusions" prevailing, it is actually due to different interpretations and possibly preferences of authors and translators, since there is no SOLE-SOURCE available, ALAS...!

One principle that captures the essence of *modern* jyotish is aptly given as, "Munde-munde mati bhinna...!" as you being a veteran jyotish-o-phil must have encountered during your pursuit, undoubtedly! First most folks begin to use scriptures and texts, then that gets followed by statements like, "... as per my experience...!". The non-SOLE-SOURCE readily gets being justified by "SOUL-SOURCE" arguments. The situation then moves from LOGICAL to para-logical, meta-logical, SUPRA-logical, [or even WORSE!] simply indicating that when SOLE-SOURCE (original) is absent or lost over the centuries and millennia, modern and perhaps ancient human minds begin to fill the lacunae and hiatuses through mental mechanisms and processes. Hence so many differences arise.

I suppose, variety is indeed the spice of life and ABSOLUTE unity is a futile dream to achieve in this world and its panoply of DIVERSITY. :smile:

Last edited:

RishiRahul

Chapter 33 of BPHS is about 'effect of karakamsa', and chapter 34 is about yogakarakas, in the version I have.

Then I checked up the pdf version on line, and internet archive version on line. Both concurs with chapter 34 being yogarakaraks.
https://shenjiva.com/Vedic/BrihatParasaraHora.pdf
https://archive.org/stream/ParasharaHoraSastra/BrihatParasharaHoraSastraVedicAstrologyEbook_djvu.txt

The chapter 34 on 'yogakarakas' mention yogarakas being determined by lordships.
Throughout my life thats what I understood; and even the PBHS concurs.

Confusing! Oh my God!!

RishiRahul

If the Chowkhambha edition mentioned, in chapter 33 or 34 that Yogakarakas are position dependant too, then maybe its a misprint there in the edition or irrelevant inclusions.

Its obvious that yogakarakas are dependent on house lordships.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yogakarakas&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

RishiRahul

Last edited:

Crystalpages