New kid in the neighborhood...

AstroLogical

Hi Stargazers

In following the protocol I've been urged to introduce myself. Well, "myself" is shy and somewhat reclusive and I'm not much of a joiner yet here I am.

I'm not sure how deeply my introduction should go at this point but I began "stargazing" back in the mid 60, having a grandfather who had long been a student of metaphysics (general term)—a real "one of a kind" in his generation. He was a true life blessing for me.

Having been a musician I became fascinated with the correlation of 12 notes and 12 signs and of course all the other parallels of visual and audio vibrations as they relate to celestial vibrations. That's all it took to start the ball rolling... I dove into casting charts in late 1975 (calculations by hand—no computers—but don't ask me to do in now ;-) and have derived great pleasure from Astrological studies ever since. The joy is in sharing a perspective that helps someone through a difficult time.

Finding folks along the way that could speak the talk and essentially understand the astro symbolism, along with the mental process that take place when the mind flashes a glimpse of insight, were few and far between. There were some very lean years when finding a like mind came my way very seldom. I'm sure I am to blame in not joining existing astrologic communities. Perhaps I can add more astro calories to my diet now through this forum.

Now, as Saturn and the North Node transits my Sun, Mercury and Ascendant (within minutes of a degree), joining this forum is certainly timely and a new direction for me. It should be interesting and I look forward to this experience and to learn from all of you.

Astrological

Teelo

Hey there! Very cool that you have found a connection to astrology through music, I would be interested in learning more about that insight. What do you think of Holst's planetary orchestra series? :) Welcome!

kimbermoon

thank you for signing in...and welcome to the block. By chance do you have a strong alliance of Uranus and Mercury in your chart?

AstroLogical

[deleted response to attacking post - Moderator]

Teelo

A thanks to you as well for the welcome. In truth, I am unfamiliar with Holst's work. I do seem to recall having heard part of it once long ago—if it is what I think you are referring to. But thank you for mentioning it. I will have to look for it and take a serious listen. If it is what I seem to recall, it was more of a composition based on the impressions of the signs, much in the way Vavaldi composed The Four Seasons... a wonderful composition as well.

My experience with music and astrology had more to do with vibrations and making the geometry of astrology audible. For instance, if you create a visual image—the astrological wheel—and in place of the 12 signs you assign the 12 notes ascending or descending chromatically. Now, what do Gemini and Leo sound like as a geometric relationship or what do any two planets/notes (in aspect) sound like as a square, as a trine, as an opposition...?

Then, as you may know, there are many different scales and modes which only use some of the 12 notes from within the chromatic scale. The major scale is perhaps the most familiar example. A scale would be as if the planets were the highlighted notes within the twelve signs of the Zodiac. How do those vibrations in combination sound and feel. When chords (minimum of 3 notes) are formed, what is the harmony or dissonance of those combinations? Then, of course, there are the overtones—harmonics and subharmonics that are set to resonate when a note is plucked... or two or three notes together. In all, the notes generated from a single chart create a tonal cluster—to our ear. Yet it is actually a complete living concerto unique to that individual chart and the motion of transits as time (tempo) moves along, provides the unfolding performance of a living chart.

I can not tell you the study of astrology together with music was a Rosetta Stone of pure meaning for my left brains desire to have a set of standards that, "this always means this..." but it was/is very satisfying to the right brain's sense of intuitive understanding. Astrological aspects are very much like note intervals; the relationship of two notes/planets or signs together. The elemental association is a bit sketchy. i.e., which note is Fire, Water, Earth or Air? Signs, Elements, Houses, Planets, Aspects, Midpoints... there is so much to consider for our overworked left brain. Unless we are simply in this for the sake of mental masturbation, there has to be more than slicing and dicing little pieces of symbolic meaning. It really comes together when the thought process calms down and with what we know we then listen to the song and hear what it is trying to express.

I did find, 1 + 1 = 3, because a combined vibration is created where one would not exist without the melding of the two (a good case for composite astrology). That is what music harmony is all about. Find a piano and "listen" to an opposition/180 degrees (C note & an F#). It's surprising. This is of course based on a linear alignment, chromatically. But if you let go of predetermined values of what this "sound" is—what is good or bad about it—you come to realize neither is dominant as a tonal center. They are in balance as opposites even though together they seem dissonant to our ear. It's easy to dive into this "study" because, once again, it strokes the left brain's need for meaning—in a logical sense. None the less, it seemed to connect my two worlds of music and astrology, all those years ago.

All this metaphysical contemplation resulted in an appreciation of the complexity of both music and astrology while being so simple at the same time. Having Saturn in Virgo, which very much insists on logic and order, this approach helped me step back from the left brain analysis and learn to feel the vibrations of a chart as well. The fundamental result for me was the realization that it is impossible to fully comprehend the depth of a chart intellectually. A chart is a universe unto itself and we all know how difficult it is to grasp "the universe." So, as in all things, balance seemed to be the key. Feed the left brain enough to keep it satisfied but feel and listen to the symphony that is being played out before our very ears, eyes, mind and body. In most cases the two will offer what you need to know about a chart—if you are clear on the question.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there... but you did ask :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

poyi

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum, I hope you will also have interest in Harmonic astrology, perhaps you will discover some thing interesting there. I remember reading somewhere about music and astrology, unfortunately forgot where:biggrin:

Would love to read your post if you have something regarding to this topic!

poyi

Premium Member
I just read further in your posts. You seem to know a lot already. I am really interested if we could actually create a song from our natal aspect etc. That will GREAT FUN!!!!

AstroLogical

Zarathu

Dog years, is it? Ha! I'm glad I'm at least young in years; life times, that maybe another matter. Ah! but the miles along the way... :whistling: I'm glad I have some "elders" to guide me along in this forum. With Saturn on the cusp of my 10 & 11 house, I've always loved old people. So, consider yourself loved. As for my diapers... I won't even touch that.

poyi

Harmonic Astrology? I may have delved into it without knowing or calling it that. Point me in a direction that will tell me more. Is this also referred to as Midpoints? If so, yes I burned a few brain cells on that along the way as well. It maybe my experience in music but my knee jerk reaction to the term "Harmonics" is; everything is vibrating and the resonance creates harmonic overtones—in music or astrology. Is this kind of what you mean?

Yes, I believe a "song" could be created from a chart, especially with the computer power of these times. If I had the software writing knowhow I might try to write such a program. I'm not sure if the tune would make the top 10 however but it would be uniquely interesting.

kimbermoon

Thank you for the greeting as well. To answer your question, My 8th House Uranus is trine my sun, mercury, ascendant and venus. Sun and Mercury are separated by 2 minutes. SO, Yes! I do have a strong alliance to Mercury and Uranus—like it or not.

THANK TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE GREETINGS

poyi

Premium Member
Western Modern Harmonic astrology, is the different version of the already known Vedic Divisional charts.

I only know very little about it. Cause seriously and honestly, I got those books and at time read about the minor aspects and applying them in reading my own natal chart and do have great interest on various harmonic chart for understanding individual houses and talent aspects and past life investigation. But the mathematical part of it, I haven't investigate yet. But I will. Those books are temporary sleeping for now in my library.

If you have such development, I would LOVE TO hear my own chart SINGING!!!!

AstroLogical

Poyi

Wow! I ask. You deliver. Whew! A lot of reading. When are my book reports due?

Believe it or not I'm a bit dyslexic and reading is a slow process for me. Anything having to do with words, numbers, etc. takes me some time to sort through. However, I will look into it so I can at least know what Harmonics are from a personal standpoint. I would say, if it helps you understand a chart better, it is a good thing. Tools are good. If you feel your left brain choking up with too much to think about, it's better to thin out the mind and let the intuitive step in for a "feel."

poyi

Premium Member
I like research so I always jump around and investigate. I enjoy digging out things.

At first learning something new will always be messy. Eventually the synthetic mind kicked in. This reading report has been very overdue for a while now which my boyfriend had asked me to deliver....

I usually know what is good, I got the books first, then read them when I feel ready for it. I had to learn with passion. So right now the passion and obsessive mind is not enough for this topic, but it will in the future. Right now my focuses are medical astrology, predictive astrology, Moon nodes and Fixed stars.

The PDF is the best quality reading out of these.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Personally, I prefer Addey's first book. His second one requires his own version of a charting program to use it. I don't like proprietary programs since I already have two hot shot programs and am not interested in shelving out more money for them.

AstroLogical

I'll have to excuse my self for a short time to do some chores and try to read up on all this info you folks are kindly presenting me with. I don't feel I can contribute to the conversation until I know a bit more.

Thanks... later

poyi

Premium Member
I'll have to excuse my self for a short time to do some chores and try to read up on all this info you folks are kindly presenting me with. I don't feel I can contribute to the conversation until I know a bit more.

Thanks... later

No worries, these readings are difficult that PDF is very interesting and surely will kill a lot of brain cells. That is why being so honestly admitted I haven't got that obsessive mind and passion to start this properly. Harmonic can be used in many things, other than just natal chart. It is very possible to use it for weather predictions.

But I am here to kill brain cells so that you know lol:w00t: I have always been a librarian at school and was at church previously mostly related to my Mercurial influences and being a Virgo ascendant, with active Mercury in 3rd house along with the mutual reception from Mars and Moon as well as Uranus in 3rd house close to IC. If you want to kills time or brain cells with readings, I am most interested.

AstroLogical

Zarathu

Only Scotch Whisky kills brain cells? So, Tequila is safe? Whew! That's a relief. You see me and The Worm have this thing... ;-)
Let's see, 18 months older would have you grazing in the pasture in 1949 or was 18 months a somewhat rounded figure? btw what is the age of this forum's most senior member and how long have they played with Stardust?

poyi

So, a Virgo, Church going Librarian... in other words, a "good girl?" Good girls have a way of... well, never mind. It's a Scorpio thing :devil: I now have public image to maintain with this forum an all. My self given "Indian Spirit Name" is Crawling Eagle. I'm sure you can appreciate the truth and humor of such a handle for a Scorpio.

YOU FOLKS ARE FUN. THANKS!

Zarathu

Account Closed
Zarathu

Only Scotch Whisky kills brain cells? So, Tequila is safe? Whew! That's a relief. You see me and The Worm have this thing... ;-)
Let's see, 18 months older would have you grazing in the pasture in 1949 or was 18 months a somewhat rounded figure? btw what is the age of this forum's most senior member and how long have they played with Stardust?

I admit to living in a decade that is just plain lost to you due to your youth.

poyi

Premium Member
poyi

So, a Virgo, Church going Librarian... in other words, a "good girl?" Good girls have a way of... well, never mind. It's a Scorpio thing :devil: I now have public image to maintain with this forum an all. My self given "Indian Spirit Name" is Crawling Eagle. I'm sure you can appreciate the truth and humor of such a handle for a Scorpio.

YOU FOLKS ARE FUN. THANKS!

Lol I am a rebel and not ashamed of admitted that. Uranus, Jupiter at IC in Sagittarius, born on the direct North node day, Out of Bounds Moon, Mars in first house trine OOB moon in Capricorn, Saturn semisextile Uranus how obedient could I be? lol Nah I made up my own mind never follow/influenced by what people tell me unless they were wiser in that matter. I am also a Scorpion Pluto, Saturn, Mercury, in Scorpio. Mars parallel Pluto. I am helpful and social but most people know not to mess with me. :D

Last edited: