Pluto and wealth?

Halo

Banned
I've often thought of Taurus as being the main symbol of wealth, its motto being "I have". It is an earth sign ruled by Venus, and represents all that is lovely about the material world. Scorpio on the other end of the zodiac is ruled by Pluto. It's motto is known as "I desire", and its ambitions are often more spiritual than material. It is the side of ourselves that feels like poison about the material world, and wishes to change it. Pluto was in ancient Greece a God of the underworld, but also a God of wealth. Any thoughts on why Pluto is a God of wealth in relation to astrology?

Flapjacks

I've often thought of Taurus as being the main symbol of wealth, its motto being "I have". It is an earth sign ruled by Venus, and represents all that is lovely about the material world. Scorpio on the other end of the zodiac is ruled by Pluto. It's motto is known as "I desire", and its ambitions are often more spiritual than material. It is the side of ourselves that feels like poison about the material world, and wishes to change it. Pluto was in ancient Greece a God of the underworld, but also a God of wealth. Any thoughts on why Pluto is a God of wealth in relation to astrology?

This makes me think of the statistic that there are 15 dead people for every one living person. Pluto is the God of Wealth because all things pass, and when they do, they go to the Underworld. Pluto accumulates it, and of course in the realm of the dead, wealth has much more spiritual connotations; it is a hidden wealth but vast.

Pluto rules what is owed. Debts, credit, investments, taxes, banking, inheritances, the stock market. Wealth that has a deeply psychological component derived from the fact it is "invisible" and acquired from the labor of others ("I desire" not "I have", where Taurus would be wealth from one's own labor, also showing in the trans-personal nature of Scorpio in the zodiac vs. Taurus).

I like the Bill Gates example. Notice how he uses his wealth in relation to Jupiter/Pluto conjunction: Philanthropy targeting disease eradication. He is obsessively compelled to use wealth for a higher purpose but also accumulate it through almost ruthless and deceptive means (Microsoft attempting to monopolize the software industry, manipulative marketing tactics, taking credit from others). It is a strange combination in 2nd house.

byjove

Account Closed
How many other people were born with Jupiter conjunct Pluto?

How many were born with roughly the same ascending degree and hence the same rulership? Why aren't all those people billionaires?

It is likely a factor, a sign of great potential in a particular way, but just a drop in the water I think.

StillOne

How many were born with roughly the same ascending degree and hence the same rulership? Why aren't all those people billionaires?

It is likely a factor, a sign of great potential in a particular way, but just a drop in the water I think.

I agree, one has to take everything into consideration.

Flapjacks

Warren Buffet also has Jupiter/Pluto conjunct. And Britney Spears.

The assumption isn't that Pluto/Jupiter means the native will be monetarily wealthy. Bill Gates could be a poor person and still conduct himself the same way.

Halo

Banned
Gates is also a Scorpio by sun. Some Scorpios do aspire to great wealth, and when Scorpio aspires to anything, they often go for an extreme. Other Scorpios become coldly ascetic to anything worldly for some obscure reason.

muchacho

The way I see it, the wealth Scorpio/Pluto accumulates is just a side effect of something else.

muchacho

This makes me think of the statistic that there are 15 dead people for every one living person. Pluto is the God of Wealth because all things pass, and when they do, they go to the Underworld. Pluto accumulates it, and of course in the realm of the dead, wealth has much more spiritual connotations; it is a hidden wealth but vast.

Pluto rules what is owed. Debts, credit, investments, taxes, banking, inheritances, the stock market. Wealth that has a deeply psychological component derived from the fact it is "invisible" and acquired from the labor of others ("I desire" not "I have", where Taurus would be wealth from one's own labor, also showing in the trans-personal nature of Scorpio in the zodiac vs. Taurus).

I like the Bill Gates example. Notice how he uses his wealth in relation to Jupiter/Pluto conjunction: Philanthropy targeting disease eradication. He is obsessively compelled to use wealth for a higher purpose but also accumulate it through almost ruthless and deceptive means (Microsoft attempting to monopolize the software industry, manipulative marketing tactics, taking credit from others). It is a strange combination in 2nd house.
I like that analogy.

But I don't think that Bill Gates is in the business for the money, probably never was. As you say, Microsoft, the company he created, is a rather ruthless entity and a monopoly. And if you look at those who have accumulated obscene wealth, they all tend to be more into the power game than the money game. It's the obsession with an idea that will attract vast resources. And strong focus, giving things or ideas your undivided attention over a long period of time, is just a typical Scorpio/Pluto trait.

muchacho

Precisely. It's a good start. But if you don't dare to live it, it's useless.

muchacho

Gates is also a Scorpio by sun. Some Scorpios do aspire to great wealth, and when Scorpio aspires to anything, they often go for an extreme. Other Scorpios become coldly ascetic to anything worldly for some obscure reason.
Exactly. The way I see it, the reason why they end up with extremes so easily is their tendency to give everything they do their undivided attention. The average Joe/Jane doesn't do that. They are fickle, their focus is scattered and their attention span short. It's impossible to create any kind of noteworthy momentum under those circumstances. So what those people create is mediocre at best. Scorpio is the exact opposite. Scorpio can focus easily and strongly, even to the degree of obsession. And when that happens, a huge momentum is created which attracts a lot of resources and which will have its way with the Scorpio sooner or later. And not only with the Scorpio, the vortex they've created can suck in entire groups or even nations. That's how extraordinary things are created. To the average Joe/Jane the extraordinary Scorpio may look like a megalomaniac. But really, it's just the result of giving a subject or idea your full attention over a longer period of time until it develops a life of it's own and starts drawing you in. And if you keep at it, it can only get bigger and bigger and bigger. It's just simple Law of Attraction mechanics.

In a group of people, the most focused one will dominate the energy field. And what's the most focused sign of the zodiac? I'd say it's Scorpio, followed by Capricorn.

Flapjacks

In a group of people, the most focused one will dominate the energy field. And what's the most focused sign of the zodiac? I'd say it's Scorpio, followed by Capricorn.

How do you suppose, mythologically, the relates to Pluto (God of Wealth)?

Reminds me of an exercise we had in high school. The class (about 15 people) was asked to take small carpet squares, lay them in a row one by one and then all walk across them to a designated area, where someone had to occupy a square at all times. We had a time limit.

The first couple minutes were chaos, and then one person stepped up and quite effortlessly directed everyone so that the entire class became organized and worked together to get everyone across quickly. The person who stepped up was a guy with Scorpio Sun conjunct Saturn, Scorpio Pluto square Aqua Mars, and Mercury conjunct Uranus in Sag with Jupiter in Capricorn (conjunct Venus), and Libra Moon. One of the most naturally persuasive and commanding people I've ever met. He could tell someone to cut off their own arm and they'd probably do it. I'm not exaggerating. He always seemed surpised at the power he had over others, too. Wish I had his birth time.

Last edited:

Halo

Banned
I myself am a Taurus, but my father is a Scorpio. He once said to me that he always wanted to be poor. I have yet to decipher why.

muchacho

How do you suppose, mythologically, the relates to Pluto (God of Wealth)?

Reminds me of an exercise we had in high school. The class (about 15 people) was asked to take small carpet squares, lay them in a row one by one and then all walk across them to a designated area, where someone had to occupy a square at all times. We had a time limit.

The first couple minutes were chaos, and then one person stepped up and quite effortlessly directed everyone so that the entire class became organized and worked together to get everyone across quickly. The person who stepped up was a guy with Scorpio Sun conjunct Saturn, Scorpio Pluto square Aqua Mars, and Mercury conjunct Uranus in Sag with Jupiter in Capricorn (conjunct Venus), and Libra Moon. One of the most naturally persuasive and commanding people I've ever met. He could tell someone to cut off their own arm and they'd probably do it. I'm not exaggerating. He always seemed surpised at the power he had over others, too. Wish I had his birth time.
I'm not into mythology, can't help you there.

Yes, your example is what I was talking about. You don't even need words or actions to have that kind of influence. It's what is said in the Daodejing, that the ruler who is a man of the Dao, the people never actually have seen him, they only know that he exists, and still everything is in order.

Halo

Banned
I think that's a bit too simplistic.
He also has Pluto in Leo at the midheaven, squared with his sun in Scorpio, conjunct to Saturn in Leo, and sextiled with Neptune in Libra. Maybe he just didn't want to give me any money. He told me that his inheritance to me would be more spiritual than material.

Last edited:

muchacho

He also has Pluto in Leo at the midheaven, squared with his sun in Scorpio, conjunct to Saturn in Leo, and sextiled with Neptune in Libra. Maybe he just didn't want to give me any money. He told me that his inheritance to me would be more spiritual than material.
Yeah, that sounds more like it.