How did you get into astrology?

possom

I got into astrology to help me when I was a young girl growing up in a bad home environment, trying to understand myself. I simply did not fit in, didn't fit the mold, could not force myself to be what was expected of me. I was born on the cusp of Scorpio/ Sagittarius. As I became a teenager, then young woman, growing into middle age which is where I am now, I never could settle on "am I Scorpio or Sag" ... then someone asked me, "What's your ascdendant?" Heck, I didn't know. But I do now: I'm Scorpio rising.. my sun is in Sag, my ascendant is Scorpio. I am very warm , outgoing, funloving, but fiercely independent. I cannot be confined, not even to a schedule of someone else's making. I am a loner in many ways. And there's my love life. I have been with a Libra man for ten years. We have never had one cross word, it's is sweet and gentle between us, like two pups. We are really happy together yet we almost don't speak, we are just together. Guess what? !!!! My Venus is in Libra. Hope I didn't bore y'all.

Shaun

Aside from being interested in mysteries of the universe my whole life, I chose astrology because, to me, it is the most practical and resourceful as well as the most fundamental and deals with the actual life forces prompting our very being and source from which we all came - the universe!

Shaun

Michael

In school my partners asked me about my zodiac sign, I told them I tought I was Libra, later I discovered this is the sign of my parents. Some years later I looked in the newspaper at the sign that my birth date indicated, and found out I was Virgo. Later I experienced a period of crisis, because my religion was tested. I turned to atheism, however I rised again and embraced all religions and occult arts. So then I decided to investigate a little deeper into astrology, and here I am now.

Last edited:

Spin

I had just started graduate school in psychology when I was introduced to astrology. A friend made an appointment with an astrologer and asked if I wanted one too. I had never thought about the subject--all I knew was my sun sign and the newspaper horoscopes that I never read. But I decided to go along, why not. But by the end of my appointment I was hooked. I couldn't believe the accuracy of the reading. For weeks afterward, I pestered the astrologer with phone calls, asking if he taught classes, books I should read, etc. (brazen behavior for my usual Sun, Mercury, Mars Pisces shyness).

One day when I called he said his assistant had just quit so I should come by with my chart for an interview. It was the easiest job interview I ever had. I didn't have to say a word, just handed him my chart. I was hired! My duties consisted of manually calculating all his charts (this was before computers and software programs) but I also had the opportunity to sit in on his readings and learn firsthand. It was a incredible education. When I look back, I can't believe how lucky I was.

As far as aspects when this occurred: Transiting Saturn conjunct, and transiting Uranus trine my 1st house Uranus, which sits almost on my Ascendant and rules my MC.

And now, many many years later, I'm still as enthused and awed by the subject. It's given me so much insight about myself and others. And
hints about the interconnectedness between us all...

Oh, forgot to add, that I eventually dropped out of graduate school and focused totally on astrology. I had been unhappy with my psychology studies anyway--thought the major theories were too subjective, basically reflections of each theorist's idiosyncrasies. Astrology seemed much more unbiased, a system of knowledge amassed over thousands of years.

Neptune Rising

I've been interested in astrology since around the age of 15, I got into tarot then too, and yoga. I carried on these interests ever since. My interst in astrology grew through meeting a friend, she had much more knowledge than me which inspired me to learn. The more I studied my chart and other's, the more fascinated I grew. Then I found this forum. Since joining I've learned how to do horary, which has broadened my knowledge of the natal chart, house rulers and where they are located and what they mean.

NR

Buttercup

I was born:) My grandmother studied astrology, did charts for friends and family, and wrote horoscopes for a local newspaper. Whenever I talked about one of my friends she would ask me when their birthday was. I was always tickled when she could tell me things about my friends and she had never even met them.

My older sister was into astrology and my mum always read her horoscope so from an early age i was introduced to astrology and when i was about 10 my interest suddenely flew sky high and i tried to learn everything i could and i guess i still haven't syopped :)

tikana

well after i murderd someone.. i was sentenced to 15 years in prison.. i was bored out of my mind and so had my mom ship me astrology books cause i wanted to fnd out why i murdered a person..

LOL j/k

i went to an astrologer, who seriously screwed up my chart. Since no one knows what time it is, she predicted "fabulous" future for me including either a murder or being murdered i forgot whch one.. basically, i said to myself "this woman is out of her mind!" and i decided to figure out on my own what the HECK is going on.. 1st thing i learned was creating a chart by hand since we had no computers no astrology relliable books.. so there you have it

TIk

Sag Moon

TIK-I had to laugh at the first sentence!

I have had the same thought in the past!
I thought it would be excellent theraphy for some inmates that we could see through a chart study to be redemable to use the art as a sellf theraphy which is basicly why I got into Astrology.

arian121

I'm not that into it, but I became interested in it because I like the guidance aspect, and it's interesting because a lot of the traits of the signs seem accurate for people I know.

Natasha

Thru my Auntie - she got into astrology in the early nineties and I used to be over there often. So When I started uni I went & studied astrology in my spare time thruout my degree.

Kingsley

I used to read my mums Womens Weekly magazines when it was deleivered and I think it was Rod Sterlings Star signs that captivated my interest. I was about 14. Later in my early 20's I read a book about Moon Signs and of course the Linda Goodman book. It wasn't until my 6th long term relationship and marriage collapsed that I decided to seriously learn more about astrology and myself. That has led me to my counselling career and the melding of both astrology and psychotherapy.

kingsley

Tik your so funny!

I got into astro years ago.(when i was about 14 or 15)...no doubt in an attempt to be different(aqua rising)....lost a bag of astro books on holiday couple of years later when i wanted to learn more and then gave up for years...........had not learnt much, but tried hard to confirm that i wasnt a boring cap.....;)
Had lots of readings and felt that i knew more than your average person who would get readings( well wanted to belive that anyway).......wanted to understand the language.........had trouble remembering stuff though (the outer planet symbols esp.....).....knew my asc and moon etc.....was really good at reading out of books.....feeling that they were the answers i needed.... but had no personal knowledge to rely on....so knew nothing in reality
been studying it now on forums since late sep 07..............heaps better than beliveing the interps of certain astrologers through books.....i like the debating and difference of opinion.......my learning has multiplied exponentially....
the person who's posts i have learnt the most from i think is scared of me and doesnt attend the forum much these days....................:( jumped right in and told them how unreal they are!.......too bold and i stuffed it up!)

would like to actually do a course of some kind now.....that just gives a method of learning.....not so much answers.....but guess it will just be a life long hobby that i perfect over the years.........will stop when i stop learning.

will stop rambling on now!

undertoad

It's great reading everyone's stories.

I didn't really give much credence to astrology until about 6 years ago. I'd grown up very intellectual and mental (since that was what pleased my school and parents!), over-achieved at school. After leaving school I dropped out of uni and then went back to a different university to study philosophy. At the same time I was getting very into the Tarot and Qabalah - and quickly found that you don't bring these branches of thought into a mainstream philosophy course, not if you know what's good for you! Still, the philosophy studies were fascinating.

I found Qabalah fascinating but really a bit beyond me. There's a tradition that you shouldn't even start looking at it until you're over 40, and maybe it's right... still, all that trying to think in symbols stayed with me.

What really got me interested in astrology was the influence of women I've had relationships with. I seem to be consistently (sometimes fatally!) attracted to women with a witch-like quality - women who see things I don't, or see things in a way I can't. Hearing them talk astrologically, in a sophisticated, and often uncannily perceptive way, must have impressed me, and driven out the scepticism I had (like most people) towards newspaper-Sun-sign astrology, which is what I thought "astrology" was.

Finally, a few years ago, having some trouble, I bought some of Liz Greene's readings of my own chart from Astrodienst. This convinced me - very very accurate, uncomfortably accurate.

I've no idea how it works, why it works - but it works! I found this forum only a couple of weeks ago, and I must have read most of it by now...

Astrocurious

A friend that I met on another forum introduced me to it. After reading JUST the basics of the planets involved in my chart convinced me that astrology is definitely worth investigating. What suprised me most was the mars/ascendant/and moon sign in which fits me so much...and I only touched base on the complexity of my chart...things like sextile/conjunct with other planets etc. ONLY because my mother first told me I was born at 8:20pm, then the second time I asked her she said 8:25 pm...or else I would have delved deeper into it... so this is driving me nuts:)(not knowing exact moment)...I'm waiting to find out the exact time:p ...waiting for the release form to come in the mail. But yeah, I was a skeptic before but not anymore...so far.:)

DID

I must have been ten. I was reading the detailed weekly astrological forecasts for Sun signs on an expired local newspaper one day and got to realise it fitted very well with what I actually had the previous week, Like the health was marked to be poor for Thursday and I was ill that day!! :rotflmao: