Rethinking Mercury in Pisces..

Yennefer

Hi all,

I posted this on the thread on Mercury in water but think I´d repost it here.

---
This is an informative article (transcripted lecture) by Jeff Green who is focusing on evolutionary astrology. This one is about two types of thinking (left and right brain, deductive, inductive, Mercury vs Jupiter).

The link is: http://schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/school/articles/mercury-and-its-role-in-consciousness

I have Mercury in Pisces in 3rd house and this what Jeff Green says about it (and I find it very accurate):

What if you have Mercury in Pisces ? Let us put it in the third house, the natural Gemini house. If you have Mercury in its natural archetype, i.e., the third house which is linear, sequential, deductive thinking and yet the very essence of Pisces is the antithesis of this archetype, is there not a natural internal conflict within this person's mental process ? Is it not logically seen in this way ? Is not the Mercury in Pisces of itself going to naturally think in metaphorical terms or parables or analogy -- poetic ? Our fellow friend Jesus Of Nazareth had six planets in Pisces in the third house. How did we experience his communication? Still trying to figure it out, eh? Pisces !!!

...It is one of the very reasons that Christians have been confused - Pisces - ever since. It becomes the breeding ground of sectarian points of view. This is the problem with Mercury in Pisces, that the Mercury part of this individual can sense, perceive, much large wholes, much larger frames of reference than the Mercury function itself can logically order. As a result, it must speak in metaphor, parable, allusion; to allude to a something much larger, higher, and grander. This is of course problematic for many people who find themselves in modern societies. How many current modern societies in the West honor such an intellectual function ? What happens to such a person when they are exposed to public education in modern American, Canada, Europe, or European type societies? So typically this particular symbol learns - Mercury - to adopt - mutable archetype - the language systems of the culture that it is exposed to. Therein lies the origin of the conflict.

Claire19

Mercury deals with our perception, thinking processes, learning and cognitive abilities, our sense of hearing in particular. It does not relate to love and other subjects unless connected to Venus for instance. Depending on where in the chart it is posited.

In Pisces if well aspected can give a great imagination, thinks a lot about spirituality and transcendence and can lend a sympathetic ear to those in trouble. Actually a lively imagination regardless but logic can be overcome by fantasy and wishful thinking.

If challenged it can be delusional, paranoid, has criminal thoughts and can lie and deceive with words. Sensitivity to sounds and likes to be introspective, communicate and learns about those less privileged and like to spend time dreaming and being alone is a general analysis. Can be vague and confused with speech and get lost when travelling. Many scenarios.

Last edited:

Caro

I have pisces conjunct moon in pisces at about 9 degrees. its in the 4th but with equal house it would on the cusp of the 5th. I say the last part cos I love theatre so much.( I have also got venus /chiron and saturn in pisces - yehhhh!):smile:
I have and always have had a very vivid imagination. Im very sensitive and highly intuitive - I often say stuff without realising (but am becoming aware of that now) how I pick up things in this way and realise Im spot on with the person Im talking too. I too have written poetry - ahhh!
To be honest its not my favourite placing in my chart. It is hard to discipline it but Im doing spiritual stuff now meditation etc and that helps a lot. my dreams are very creative and vivid as is meditation and im much better at expressing myself than I used to be.
It is hard sometimes for me to be direct - I dont have a good mars either. so I would not say Im the best communicator. Although again Im trying to work with this.
I think I went through a period in my 20's where my thinking was muddled and I would say confused. Its a defuse energy mercury in pisces
As others have said it is very useful in the caring professions or in a caring role. Also in spiritual stuff, I can understand many readings /literature but more difficult then to get this information across to someone. It is like I just know/sense/get a feeling that something is right.
I realise I have come under attack by those with negative motives and have to work hard to protect myself in this area.
I think it is a vulnerable particularly again as others have pointed out in our logical scientific society. However the science is catching up.
Was Albert Einstein a mercury in pisces I know he was a late pisces sun?.
I think it works quite well in interpretting astrology though as a plus point.:smile:

Attachments

• astro_25gw_01_aura_bee_201063.61287.28337.jpg
    astro_25gw_01_aura_bee_201063.61287.28337.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 37

Archer7

Was Albert Einstein a mercury in pisces I know he was a late pisces sun?.

No, he had Mercury in Aries. But Charles Darwin, who wrote 'The Origin of Species' had Mercury in Pisces, and so did Abraham Lincoln.

I've worked with about three charts that have Mercury in Pisces. One is an editor, publisher and published Poet, (Moon in Capricorn too), one creates unique didgeridoos and explores the connection between vibration in sound and the body's healing capacities and one I have yet to get to know.

The scientist Richard Dawkins, famous for his book 'The God Delusion' also has Mercury in Pisces.

Last edited:

Caro

I was going to say (dont want to sound like Im blowing my own trumpet) but I was very good at maths at school and took maths exam a year early and went on to do advanced maths. I had a great teacher (always helps very disciplined) She really understood the way I approach maths which is in quite a creative way!!!

RayAustin

While Mercury in Pisces isn't "good", this would be more importantly modified by the placement (angular, succeedent, cadent) and aspects.

Regarding the ancient definitions ... this was a time when public education wasn't to the extent as it was today; we would have to modify it to the times.

E

eternalautumn

While Mercury in Pisces isn't "good", this would be more importantly modified by the placement (angular, succeedent, cadent) and aspects.

Very true. Also, even though Mercury in Pisces is in detriment and fall, Pisces is still ruled by Jupiter (traditionally), which is a good thing, especially if Jupiter is in good condition and aspects Mercury.

Caro

does this placing make learning other languages difficult , as I ve always struggled with speaking other languages.

Caro

I just looked at your chart . wow a few kite formations there.

maybe it is the way my merc is aspected.

RayAustin

This might sound controversial to some, but I'd be interested in seeing if a badly aspected/placed Mercury in Pisces could indicate autism or some condition of the like. I would be interested in seeing the Mercury/Moon (mind rulers) placements/aspects of those with autism in general.

Phoenix Venus

ive seen a couple of cases of autism and learning disorders with uranus in harsh aspect to mercury or the sun. I've never noticed any correlation with the sign that mercury was in.

i've also seen some with mercury inconjunct moon.

Its interesting because autistic people are usually extremely smart in one or a few specific areas, while they are lacking the understanding of social triggers in order to communicate their ideas in a productive way. this just screams fixed sign mercury to me. not pisces. or even a mercury with little to no aspects.

I think in a natal chart, having mercury in pisces isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't think any detriment or fall planets are all considered "bad." To me, det/fall means a different way of expressing this planet which is outside the norm. there can be struggles with it, depending on the person and what else is int he chart, but there is also a fresh approach with this planet and a chance to make changes among society and reestablish values/ what is of importance.

as far as how i interperet mercuyr in the chart, it completely depends on the rest of the chart (houses, aspects, dispositers, etc.)

a general way i look at mercury in pisces is a vast open mind. there is the possibility to explore with much creativity and spiritualism, but also the possibility to get sucked into others thinking habits and not fully grasping concrete facts. (similar to sag, focusing on bigger pictures rather than the details) they are extremely adept at understanding other peoples inner workings and feelings.

I think there has to be more than one indicator of communication problems in the chart for there to be learning difficulties.

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
Mercury in Pisces - learning as if by osmosis. I can't tell you how many times I've been desribed exactly like this; by people who don't know anything about astrology, and a few times by educators who said this of me. Anyone else?

And despite my knowing roughly what osmosis is (the process) can anyone decode this, elaborate? :sideways:

Caro

osmosis - you absorb information thro your skin!!!!! (plants absorb nutrients in this way) its like heightened intiution.
down side you can soak up negativity .
ive been described that I am like a sponge. have to do lots of protection - I use crystals for that now.

byjove

Account Closed
You see, I'm trying to imagine how we differ from others in that regard. Especially from the perspective of educators who get to understand our minds a little and exactly what they see. If I find this out, I can tap into better ways of learning, and avoiding pitfalls.

Yeah, a professor was the last to say this, and she mentioned something about my absorbing things just sitting there (doesn't everyone?!) she also said some things just go in and some things just don't.

Caro

no not everyone at all.
a virgo in mercury would not absorb anything in my experience- they learn by practical application and method.They pratice practice and practice
as a pisces in mercury - you can learn by experience - by putting yourself in situations you can quickly pick up how people act. Ie you can walk into a room and run a committee say and resolve differences cos you quickly pick up what is underlying what people are saying. the fluid nature of mercury allows you to negociate/understand and respond in a receptive manner. again I cant see a merc in virgo doing this - they get stuck(im just using this as an example and its a general statement people)
you do need to protect yourself and make sure you are grounded - very important.

I would agree that it has a lot of potential creatively, spiritually, in the caring professions /community work etc.etc.

JerryRR

Abraham Lincoln has Mercury in Pisces,1st House.
Mercury 10Pi19,Sabian Symbol,'Men seeking illumination.'

Me con Pluto.
Me sq Sa/Ne.
Me tr Ur/NN.

45 Midpoints.
Me= Ne/Pl, Pl/MH,Mo/Ma.
Ne= Me/Sa.
Sa/Ur=Me/Ve.
Mo=Me/Pl.

90 Midpoints.
Me/Ma=Mo/Ma.

Lilly Strength, Mercury -5.

J. :)

RayAustin

Abraham Lincoln has Mercury in Pisces,1st House.
Mercury 10Pi19,Sabian Symbol,'Men seeking illumination.'

Me con Pluto.
Me sq Sa/Ne.
Me tr Ur/NN.

45 Midpoints.
Me= Ne/Pl, Pl/MH,Mo/Ma.
Ne= Me/Sa.
Sa/Ur=Me/Ve.
Mo=Me/Pl.

90 Midpoints.
Me/Ma=Mo/Ma.

Lilly Strength, Mercury -5.

J. :)

Jerry,
First of all an angular Mercury always inclines to intelligence, especially the first house. It is said traditionally that the 'joy' of Mercury is to be in the first house where it can easily express its influence.

Secondly, Mercury trines Uranus in his chart which inclines to mental brilliance. There's also a Mercury/Pluto conjunction which intensifies his intellect and intensifies the Mercury/Uranus aspect.

It's more than 'dignity' points which are most useful in horary/electional astrology, not natal. The aspects (and placement) are more important than planetary strength because they can 'save' a planet.

Also consider that he's an Aquarius ascendant (inclined to be intelligent), and his ascendant ruler Saturn is in the 9th house of higher learning/knowledge. It was a life focus for him.

What our astrologer elders :smile: say about Mercury in Pisces are generalizations. They would consider the whole chart as well before making an assumption.

r.a. :smile:

Last edited: