Which planet rules the chart?

Kite

Elianah - Your house polarities make perfect sense - I don't know why I've neglected this area when I've picked up on the polarities elsewhere. I suppose my Jupiter in Virgo likes everything put into its own slot :shock:

I have not done astrology of the 12 tribes and am not familiar with that. I plan to pick up a book by Halevi on Kabbalistic Astrology at some point but my reading list tends to back-up.

Pluto in my 11th..I'm already feeling the effects by participating in this community. The polarity position should help me strengthen my sense of self :)

Summery Joy

Elianah said:
But how do you make your decision when Merc is in Gemini or Virgo? :D

I can tell them apart distinctly, maybe because I usually have problems with the Virgo way of thinking. I appreciate its fine analytical sense, but its reason limits me somehow. On the other hand, the Gemini reason goes very well with me (for obvious reasons). I usually figure it out with higher accuracy than I do the Leo Mercury. Isn't that ironic?

Elianah said:
What is interesting for me with Merc Rx right now, it isn't phasing me as much as I expected it to. I'm wondering if having a prolonged progressed Merc Rx period in my life that I have learned to function well with both.

Well, at least one of us is not having a horrible time! Mercury Rx is driving me crazy. I lose things, I cannot think straight, it takes me a very long time to comprehend the logic of a matter (so not me) and I cannot even speak! I cannot express myself in any language I know :shock: .

Arabic is my native tongue, English is my 2nd language and I'm intermediate at Spanish (The Leo showing off always find a way with me :oops:). I cannot remember the vocabulary I know in any of these languages to express my thoughts. It always feels like the words are at the tip of my tongue, I just do not remember them. You have no idea how much writing and erasing this post is taking!!!! I'm an auditor and a business consultant, can you imagine the comments I'm getting from my boss on the reports I'm writing these days?

Oh well, at least I know what's going on. Last Mercury Rx, which was only a few months ago, I just did not understand what was happening. It felt like I was living in a virtual world. Not that I think about it, I'd better check what Neptune was doing then too :D

Claire19

The chart ruler is the planetary ruler of the ascendant, its aspects and house placement have a great influence in our lives, to an extent how we look and health issues. HOwever planets in the 1st house will be more obvious in their effects.

e.g. Pisces rising, Neptune in Libra conjunct Venus Mars 8th house

Person has Libran characteristics of dark hair and blue eyes if racially possible. Regular features and pleasant. Mars as conjunct means rather strongly built and aids constitution. 8th house of metaphysics, others asssets, life and death issues, strongly indicated. Sex and secrets also major transformations.

Claire

Draco

As for which planet rules the chart, I am suprised that no one has mentioned the planet which has the most essential and accidental dignity, the planet that has the most innate strength coupled with the most innate power to enact that strength, surely such a planet is a front runner of our astrological make-up.

The ruler of the Ascendant is the Ruler of the Ascendant, and not the ruler of the chart, just as the ruler of the MC is the ruler of the tenth house and not of the entire chart. The reason the Ascendant is given such precedence over any other angle is in part because we are all so helplessly egotistical. The ruler of the Ascendant has a particular importance of course, as it is the planet which presides over the self in all of us, and as our conciousness is almost always situated in that self, the ego takes over and gives the ruler of the Ascendant more credit than it is due and considers it the ruler of the life, when the life is so much more than 'I', as the other eleven houses hold testimony to.

If there is such a thing as a planet that presides over the entire chart, the entire life in all it's aspects, then such must be the planet with the greatest essential and accidental dignity - because it makes so much sense.

If I have Venus combust in Aries in a cadent house blighted by harsh aspects from unfavourable planets, and Venus is the ruler of the Ascendant, is it the ruler of my chart, my life. I would hope not, because considering it as such would go a way to manifest it as so, it is the ruler of my perception of life as situated in the self, not of the life.

If I have Mars in Scorpio conjoined with the MC receiving favourable aspects from agreeable planets, and as such is the most essentially and accidentally dignified planet in my chart, but rules not the Ascendant, but yet is the best planet I have to work with, then does Venus or Mars preside over my life? I suppose that it is a choice, because we cause to manifest wherever we direct our conciousness, but I would opt for the planet with the greatest strength to be my representative in this life and act accordingly.

The Lord of the Geniture/Birth, is the planet that shows the highest possible expression of ourselves, it is our guardian spirit whom we should endeavour to act in principle of in any situation in order to manifest our destiny. This is a planet not determined as our horoscopic representative based upon beaming in upon the realm of one twelfth of Life, but it is designated based upon it's strength of dignity outweighing all others in the chart. It is our destiny, the strength of our horoscopes and the stalwart of our lives.

The ruler of the chart, indeed, the Lord of the Geniture, so called as it is the president of our incarnation into this world, is the planet which has the greatest dignity in our charts, and through which we may manifest our destiny.

If our ego's are what our life is consumed with, then the Ascendant ruler will be the ruler of our lives, for anything which spans the entirety of our twelvefold manifestation in existence will not get a look in.

If it is our money and possessions are what our life is consumed with, always or just for today, then the second house ruler will be the ruler of our lives, always or just for today, and again, we act accordingly. The benefit however, of seeing the planet with the greatest dignity as our guardian angel, our 'ruler', is that we endeavour to attach ourselves to a strength that transcends all of these compartmentalised boundaries, a ruler of all rulers, and indeed, the house which is ruled by the Lord of the Geniture, may be the twelfth of our existence that provides the most direct route to the Whole, so perhaps we might better consider this house cusp as more important still than the Ascendant in many respects.

The ruler of the Ascendant as ruler of the chart, and inevitably of the life, means that some have the blessing of wonderfully situated planets to revel in while others are relegated to the reject bin.

The consideration of the Lord of the Geniture as the ruler of our chart is optimistic to say the least, and a manifestation of destiny at most. This is because such a planet always represents the greatest strength and the highest possible given that horoscope, which surely is what life is about, bringing to fruit our most optimum potentials.

Last edited:

Claire19

I think you will find that the general consenus of astrologers who are experienced agree that the ascendant ruler is the chart ruler. The sun is always the strongest planet or influence if you are going to argue that. We filter everything through the ascendant and any planets in the first. The ruler and its placement and aspects are absolutely crucial and will influence the life greatly, always.

You dont want your particular ascendant ruler to be the ruler of your chart and you are like a lot of people who will try to find aspects etc to offset or negate what they dont like about their charts e.g. fixed stars, aspects and other placements. This is perfectly normal and human.

Claire

Draco

Claire19 said:
I think you will find that the general consenus of astrologers who are experienced agree that the ascendant ruler is the chart ruler. The sun is always the strongest planet or influence if you are going to argue that. We filter everything through the ascendant and any planets in the first. The ruler and its placement and aspects are absolutely crucial and will influence the life greatly, always.

You dont want your particular ascendant ruler to be the ruler of your chart and you are like a lot of people who will try to find aspects etc to offset or negate what they dont like about their charts e.g. fixed stars, aspects and other placements. This is perfectly normal and human.

Claire

Hi Claire.

It may be the case that most astrologers today consider the Ascendant ruler to be the ruler of the horoscope itself, but that does not mean that it is necessarily the best or only way to see things. I simply argue that the Ascendant ruler is just that - the Ascendant ruler. If we are to talk of the planet with the greatest presidency over the horoscope at large, then I simply intended to refresh the discussion with an alternative opinion, which is that the planet having the greatest dignity has the greatest power at it's disposal and so is the front runner of our astrological make-up, as we usually lead with our strengths. I'm not trying to down-play the importance of the Ascendant ruler, not at all, I'm simply trying to distinguish it from the ruler of the chart as a whole if we are to discuss what that actually is.

I'm fine with the ruler of my own Ascendant, and I'm not trying to negate anything I don't like about my chart.:confused: I don't like or dislike anything about my chart to be honest, I don't make value judgements about a horoscope. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Claire19

I am not offended at all. I am passionate about astrology and have strong feelings and beliefs perhaps come across as pedantic.

THere is so much misinformation abounding that it frustrates me as an astrologer for so many years when I see advice given that can be dangerous through ignorance and inexperience. I am not referring to you at all and feel that what you say is valid and logical and very well put. I guess really it is a matter of personal experience and perception. In my case the ascendant or chart ruler as I see it, is very significant because it is heavily aspected and part of a stellium and indeed rules my chart so to speak. So that is why I am perhaps biased.

I find this website most interesting and so professional and am learning a lot even at my stage in life.

Keep up the good work!!

Claire

Claire19

Mercury retrograde plus challenging Moon Mercury aspects in my chart is causing problems. First of all my mother who is aged is not eating and this causes concern. Also she is Gemini. We are finding problems with getting contracts signed and there is confusion and delay and also getting lost whilst travelling locally. All this belongs to Mercury retrograde....

Thankfully it doesnt last forever and we can make allowances for delay in everyday communications, such as mail, phone, fax, short distance travel, everything under the 3rd house umbrella as well as where our Mercury is.

Claire

Claire19

The manifestation of our destiny is strongly influenced by our north node and its aspects as the true most meaningful path for this lifetime. The house which holds the most planets or is the heaviest aspected will also show the areas of greater importance in this life. Always remembering that the Sun is the driving force always. Even an empty house has a ruler and that planets has aspects. However will not be of paramount importance or greatest effect felt. Perhaps there is no one planet that rules our chart. Everyone is different of course and some of us have stronger placements than others and we lead a very much different life than an average person leading a mundane existence where nothing out of the ordinary happens. They may have chosen this as a respite from heavy experiences in the past. Also many people have horrendous experiences and triumph over them and become stronger and make their mark in the world where others can fold at the least little obstacle. I guess it depends on the soul level of evolvement which is not so easy to discern by looking just at a chart.

Claire

Claire19

There are those that say that some are blessed with an "easy" chart and others are not. There is in my opinion no such thing as luck, good or otherwise. In my belief we are sowing and reaping our karma always. Also we choose the time to reincarnate and where and to whom. I always felt unlucky and not worthy of any of the goods of life and a victim of fate and felt that life was unfair but as I matured and began to study astrology and other doctrines I realised there was a rhyme and reason and an order in the Universe. All debts will be paid and all credits received. Also so called tragedies are often opportunities to grow and at the least a karmic debt may be paid. That "bad things happen to good people" is a judgement made by others on the basis of this lifetime only.... There are still many things that perplex, worry and appal me I have to say and I have a long way to go to true enlightenment but I am on the path as so many of you are.

Claire

Last edited:

aquarius7000

As for which planets rules the chart.....bringing to fruit our most optimum potentials.

I agree with almost all of what has been mentioned in Draco's post. The way I go about it is looking at which planet has natural strength (e.g. Sun in Leo or in another fire sign) and/or making maximum aspects (so energies are actively participating in the chart/native's life) to other planets. To me too, simply going by the set rule that the planet ruling the point (Asc), which marks off the first house in the chart, and therefore being crowned as the ruler of the chart does not logically appeal to my Mercury (Aquarian mind).

;)aquarius7000

you know it

This is my first reply in this community, so I would like to say hi to everyone!

I have read different ideas on chart rulership, and I am still not convinced that I have an overall chart ruler. I have Pluto 11 deg 12' Libra conjunct the ASC at 12 deg 39' Libra, Venus is at 9 deg 15' Aquarius, and Uranus is at 7 deg 01' Scorpio. Alan Oken, in his book "Rulers of the Horoscope" (106), would say that since Pluto is within 3 degrees of the ASC from the 12th house, that it is my chart ruler. Most astrologers, as I have seen on this thread, say that Venus is my ruler, because it is the ruler of my ASC. Draco, however, says that the planet with the best overall strenth is the ruler of my chart. Astro.com puts Uranus as my most powerful planet.

So, after doing a dispositor tree, I figured out that Venus in Aquarius disposits Pluto in Libra, Pluto in Libra disposits Uranus in Scorpio, and Uranus in Scorpio disposits Venus in Aquarius. Then, all of the other planets answer to Uranus. This is assuming that we are using Modern Rulerships. In traditional astrology, Saturn in Cancer and the Moon in Aquarius disposit each other. Then, all of the other planets answer to Saturn.

Here is my chart in case anyone wants to reference my information.
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp136/aws226/birthchart-1.gif

As far as aspects go, all four of these planets have negative aspects with other planets or important angles. Pluto with the ASC and MC; Uranus with the Moon, Mercury and Venus; Saturn with the Moon and Jupiter/Chiron; and Venus with Uranus. Saturn is accidentally dignified in the 10th house, if you acknowledge that, but it has no positive aspects, unless you consider mutual reception a positive aspect. Also, Uranus is exalted in Scorpio, if you acknowledge Modern rulerships/exaltations.

Kevin Burk, in his book "Understanding The Birth Chart" (190), says that a committee runs the chart while interpreting Sylvester Stallone's chart. This, I would agree with more, than saying that a single planet rules my chart.

So, I am unconvinced of having a single planet ruling over my chart. This does not mean that I am right, and will listen to others opinions on this matter. It just means that I do not see one planet ruling over my chart. Once again, I am happy to be here, and hello to everyone!

Last edited:

Claire19

Summery Joy said:
I keep reading different things and I'm getting confused. Is the natal chart ruler the ruler of the sun sign, the ruler of the rising sign or the ruler of the sign with the most planets?

THe planet that rules the chart is the ascendant sign planet. That we may have other strong placements just means we have emphasis there. The aspects to the ascendant and its ruler are extremely important and is the filter through which we see our environment, our survival tactics and our mask or image that is presented to the world and forms the first impression which may or may not be true to our real basic character.

Claire19

aquarius7000 said:
I agree with almost all of what has been mentioned in Draco's post. The way I go about it is looking at which planet has natural strength (e.g. Sun in Leo or in another fire sign) and/or making maximum aspects (so energies are actively participating in the chart/native's life) to other planets. To me too, simply going by the set rule that the planet ruling the point (Asc), which marks off the first house in the chart, and therefore being crowned as the ruler of the chart does not logically appeal to my Mercury (Aquarian mind).

;)aquarius7000

I have Sun in Leo and Venus in Libra and take due note of their strong position. It does not change my conviction that with Pisces rising Neptune is the ruler of my chart and the aspects that it makes are predominant influences in my life, the way I look and the mask I present to the world. Also body weaknesses or strengths. Also our ascendant is often the same as the sun sign of predominant family members and this is true for me as well as other close relatives.

Claire19

I keep reading different things and I'm getting confused. Is the natal chart ruler the ruler of the sun sign, the ruler of the rising sign or the ruler of the sign with the most planets?
Chart ruler is the planet ruling your ascendant sign. However the Sun is always very important especially if it aspects your ascendant. It will influence the way you present yourself, your persona and your body image.

candiceaqua

The planet rules the chart is the strongest planet in the chart, which is quite different from the ruler of the ascendant.

There are traditional delicate methods to calculate your chart ruler(Almutem Figuris)as below:

-Method One:
Judge which planet has the highest marks in accidental and esstiall diginities in different sign, exal, triplicity, term , face.

-Method Two:
Calculate the essential dignity of 7 stars(sun, moon etc) in 5 points(Ascendant, Sun, Moon, POF, The Szygy (Full Moon before birth)).

Then we have to think about whether it is DIAE, HORA,then we calculate the marks of houses. The planet with the highest marks will be the ruler of the chart. We need to notice that, the chart ruler may not be the strongest, it may be even afflicted due to its heavy burden. This planet will have great influence on the nativity's destiny, for better or worse.

-Method Three:
Download ZET 8(free astrology software which can calculate all sorts of system and arabic points and firdia with every triplicity, term and face etc.), it can show our chart ruler(Almutem Figuris).

Claire19

The ruler is the planet ruling the ascendant sign and if any planet right on the ascendant within 2 degrees then it takes precedence. The aspects from the chart ruler i.e. ruler of the ascendant, are of paramount importance.

Claire19

Up until the early 1900s the planet that ruled your chart (and I still use it) was the almuten figuris, or Lord/Lady of the Geniture - the planet with the most dignity in the five hylegiacal places - Sun, Moon, Ascendant, Fortuna, and the pre-natal syzygy (the new or full moon immediately preceding birth).

It still works, and better than the ascendant ruler in my experience. But bear in mind that the astrology created pre-1700 (then it fell asleep for a couple hundred years) and the astrology created circa 1880 onwards are not focussed on the same things, nor does modern astrology use most of the older techniques - and classical astrology doesn't use the outer planets as they cast no light. So it makes sense that each system would have its own form of chart rulership.
Astrology is ruled by Uranus the planet of the future, the modern and the new trends so I guess it is always evolving as a science.
I think the chart ruler which is the ascendant ruler in my view will give great clues to the way we filter the world around us, how we present and even to the extent of health issues at times. How we learn survival tactics and although a planet may be strong with its own sign, dignity or heavily aspected or whatever it plays a huge part but is not the chart ruler.

StarReader

Very, very interesting thread. Thank you Summer Joy for the original post.

The question you asked is a question i have often thought about. And. the answers were interesting, informative and comprehensive. Thank you everyone.