Jupiter and what makes us happy

SunW

According to some astrologers the house in which the natal Jupiter placed shows what makes us happy. Could you confirm that with your personal experience?

conspiracy theorist

Jupiter is conjunct my ascendant and has rulership over 6 planets in my chart as well as my ascendant and part of fortune. "Happy" is not a word I would use to characterize myself. In fact, one of the first threads I created on this forum was entitled, "Why is Sagittarius associated with buoyancy and joviality" because I've never truly related to the merry making traits of Sagittarius and being an exemplar of the sign, it made me call into question the stereotype.

Anyway, what I do relate to is that I am extremely exploratory. I'm willing and able to go to places that people wouldn't dare to (or care to). All for the Sagittarian drive to gain wide ranging experiences and attain "the mysteries" of the world and beyond.

I've been flirting with a thought that this might be the basis of the feelings of "happiness" and it's relation to Sagittarius/Jupiter. Dopamine is a chemical related to feelings of positive emotion.

Inside the brain, dopamine plays important roles in executive functions, motor control, motivation, arousal, reinforcement, and reward, as well as lower-level functions including lactation, sexual gratification, and nausea. The dopaminergic cell groups and pathways make up the dopamine system which is neuromodulatory.

Astrologically, we see a lot of Jupiter here. Reward and motivation are the most known qualities related, but we also see sexual gratification and arousal (traditionally Jupiter was indicative of a highly sexed nature and I'm sure your familiar with the mythology of Zeus. Even lactation, which brings to mind Cancer and Jupiter's exaltation therein.

This paper I've encountered makes clearer of the connection I'm referring to.

http://ski.clps.brown.edu/papers/KayserExplore_NPP.pdf

In
particular, college undergraduates with two copies of the
less active COMT enzyme (Met/Met) demonstrated greater
exploration than those with either the Met/Val or Val/Val
polymorphisms (Frank et al, 2009). Moreover, greater
exploratory behavior has been correlated with correspondingly
greater activity in the rostral prefrontal cortex (PFC),
particularly when choice outcomes are uncertain and hence
there is information to be gained (Badre et al, 2012;
Cavanagh et al, 2012). Together these studies argue that
exploratory behaviors are likely to have a neurochemical
(dopaminergic) basis, and suggest that increasing dopamine
tone in PFC may increase exploratory behavior.

We know astrologically that Jupiter/Sagittarius are associated with exploratory, strong belief in the self to tackle the world (the so call optimism), and gambling/taking risks. Well, this study shows the link between these traits and the dopaminergic systems in the brain. Having an internal locus of control sounds an awful lot like the self-belief that supposedly is a characteristic of Jupiterian behaviour, It even makes mention of dopamine and it's role in learning - a very integral part of Jupiter/Sagittarius' focus.

So, while happiness is not an emotion that I'm particularly buddy buddy with in my life, I do display/have a lot of traits that would characterise one with high dopamine levels.

craft94

I have no way of knowing whether you're happy in your personal life, CT (I believe you when you say you aren't - and since your Sag stellium is located mostly in the 12th house, I wouldn't guess you as a happy person by looking your chart either) but on this forum, you stand out for your sense of humor...I think that's what astrologers are referring to when they speak of Sagittarian "joviality."

as for whether or not Jupiter makes me happy, my Jupiter is located in the 6th house: is that supposed to mean cleaning makes me happy? Or like...????
Jupiter is conjunct Venus and it rules my 7th house so I guess romance makes me happy...in theory
In Scorpio...hmm... I'm not sure whether "happiness" is the right word but I think this conjunction shows what I enjoy - investigating things, digging deep, mystery, connecting with people on a deeper level and knowing their deepest darkest secrets etc. I like learning about conspiracy theories and the like. Astrology, spirituality etc.

conspiracy theorist

Sure, but at the time I created the thread there was no "CT" as such. I recognize these days that people find me funny, which is neither here nor there to me, believe it or not.

SunW

Jupiter is conjunct my ascendant and has rulership over 6 planets in my chart as well as my ascendant and part of fortune. "Happy" is not a word I would use to characterize myself. In fact, one of the first threads I created on this forum was entitled, "Why is Sagittarius associated with buoyancy and joviality" because I've never truly related to the merry making traits of Sagittarius and being an exemplar of the sign, it made me call into question the stereotype.

Maybe these planets and your ascendant are in Scorpio in the ancient fixed zodiac. Also, the 12th house supresses the planets there and the signs placed in it. Which are the planets in the 12th house?

Lin

First, let's get the facts straight. There is only one planet which rules happiness and that is Venus. It's a small planet, and as expected, it doesn't have the power to overrule heavier, more negative influences. Where Venus is positioned is the area in which you can expect happiness.....under the right circumstances.

Jupiter is the planet of enthusiasm, intensity of purpose, multiplying, "more of", expansion. It's Sagi's ruler and has the qualities of Sagi.

The sign in which the Sun is positioned and the house in which it resides, give a clue to one's purpose in this life. One can get happiness from fulfilling that role....or one can get satisfaction....or a sense of having done a good job at one's purpose. Doing this does not necessarily bring joy or happiness....but satisfaction with one's role in life can give one a serenity. Again, serenity is not necessarily happiness.

The house Jupiter occupies will show where there will be a lot of activity, especially if there are many aspects to it....or...during lengthy transits. If those transits are positive, there will be an increase in a feeling of positivity....and that can feel like happiness...and it can BE happiness. But when the transits are negative, the Jupiter position can bring an increase of despair and frustration.

So it's a good idea to know the definitions of what is being discussed.

And it's important to know EACH planet and it's dynamics before speculating and coming to conclusions.
LIN

kahtiel

My Jupiter is in my 8th house (whole sign), but 7th house (Placidus). I blame it on the fact that it's retrograde in my chart, but I haven't felt it in my life at all.

Lin

I can't comment on this without seeing your chart. The sign and aspects and your age have a lot to do with your experiences of Jupiter.
The retrograde can work FOR an individual or against....depending upon many variables.
If you can post your chart, please do, if you are interested in more info.
LIN

conspiracy theorist

Maybe these planets and your ascendant are in Scorpio in the ancient fixed zodiac. Also, the 12th house supresses the planets there and the signs placed in it. Which are the planets in the 12th house?

But here's the thing. If one can conveniently change over to the other zodiac if the placements don't align with "personality", what is the basis of using any of them at all? There are also differences between the tropical and sidereal versions of the sign, that seem to do the job of explaining the same traits with different language. Saying that, I actually see myself quite clearly in my current tropical chart. The nakshatras are also very enlightening.

To answer your question, in sidereal I have a Scorpio Sun, Mercury and Jupiter (and pluto). I still have a Sagittarius asc with Mars and Venus conjunct. 12th house planets are Sun, Merc, and Pluto. (the rest are conjunct the asc)

kahtiel

I can't comment on this without seeing your chart. The sign and aspects and your age have a lot to do with your experiences of Jupiter.
The retrograde can work FOR an individual or against....depending upon many variables.
If you can post your chart, please do, if you are interested in more info.
LIN

Thank you! This is my chart in whole signs. :smile: ETA: I figure my chart has been seen by now, so I took it down.

Last edited:

sylph

First, let's get the facts straight. There is only one planet which rules happiness and that is Venus. It's a small planet, and as expected, it doesn't have the power to overrule heavier, more negative influences. Where Venus is positioned is the area in which you can expect happiness.....under the right circumstances.

Jupiter is the planet of enthusiasm, intensity of purpose, multiplying, "more of", expansion. It's Sagi's ruler and has the qualities of Sagi.

The sign in which the Sun is positioned and the house in which it resides, give a clue to one's purpose in this life. One can get happiness from fulfilling that role....or one can get satisfaction....or a sense of having done a good job at one's purpose. Doing this does not necessarily bring joy or happiness....but satisfaction with one's role in life can give one a serenity. Again, serenity is not necessarily happiness.

The house Jupiter occupies will show where there will be a lot of activity, especially if there are many aspects to it....or...during lengthy transits. If those transits are positive, there will be an increase in a feeling of positivity....and that can feel like happiness...and it can BE happiness. But when the transits are negative, the Jupiter position can bring an increase of despair and frustration.

And it's important to know EACH planet and it's dynamics before speculating and coming to conclusions.
LIN

I would agree with this essentially, but just wanted to add that in Vedic astrology, Moon and Mercury are key when assessing happiness. Perhaps the definition of "happiness" is a bit different in that system, however. I haven't quite been able to tell if it means deep psychological strength + fortitude or someone who has a more jovial/content/upbeat/easygoing personality & vibe. I want to say it's probably the former, as an afflicted Moon or Mercury can easily cause more deep-seated problems.

Frisiangal

According to some astrologers the house in which the natal Jupiter placed shows what makes us happy. Could you confirm that with your personal experience?

First, let's get the facts straight. There is only one planet which rules happiness and that is Venus........

LIN

There must be different schools of thought on this subject. Mine never placed 'happiness' under any other planet or sign than Jupiter of Sagittarius.

It's in Jupiter of Sagittarius that the optimism and trust towards realising whatever one's ideals are, is found.....and vice versa. When these are found, an individual can be on cloud 9 and happiness can be the result. However, too often an adverse aspect to Jupiter from a personal planet can put a spoke in the happiness wheel. As Jupiter also has strong associations with health and well-being, harsh aspects can see issues arising in that department.
Jupiter, as traditional ruler of Pisces, is linked more to the intangible faith in, and dedication towards the non-physical aspects of life. Happiness almost becomes 'the state of eternal bliss'.

Venus is the planet of (desire for) tangible pleasure through its rulership of Taurus, and intangible pleasure through the balance of harmony in companionship when Libra is strong.

Jupiter in a house is a pointer towards which circumstances/situations can provide fulfilment. Yet it has a tendency to exaggerate, overdo, go too far and desire too much. Is that the same as 'what makes us happy', especially if what we get is less than what our optimistic idealism hoped for?

My 12th house Jupiter in Leo makes but 2 aspects, to Sun in 9th house and Moon in 5th, both in Earth. That 'which makes us happy' has not been easy to find in a physical sense because too much faith was placed elsewhere. My spirit never found anything to fully trust and believe in until astrology crossed my path.
On the other hand, my children and their happiness has always been a major priority above that of my own. As far as I can tell, 'that has turned out well' and that makes me happy. :happy

Last edited:

Lin

you know I hate to disagree with you Frisiangal- and you have your reason for your point of view
"It's in Jupiter of Sagittarius that the optimism and trust towards realising whatever one's ideals are, is found"

Anyway, optimism, realizing one's ideals, etc, is NOT necessarily happiness.

Happiness, what one "wants" how one describes love, joy, contentment, feelings of "connectedness" - is the province of Venus. It is NOT only a symbol of materialism...it is defining what it is that makes you - well, HAPPY inside yourself. the feeling that at that time , all is well....all is "right with the world." It's very personal.

Jupiter is not quite as personal....although of course it CAN be. Esp. if conj a personal planet in the natal. Venus is ALWAYS personal.

Happiness is one of those things we, as we grow up, that we are NOT taught. What is OUR happiness....what gives US joy. We are taught to make our parents happy. Our teachers happy. Our boyfriends happy. Our bosses happy. Our husbands happy.

Venus is the most under studied planet. No contest.
LIN

Talking of sidereal i'm a Gemini in sidereal with major Fire placements.

MC in 13th zodiac sign.

D4D7838C81FC4F6B830F38B17C615B7A.bmp

craft94

I associate the 5th house with happiness more than any planet or sign.
For planets, Jupiter does seem the "most happy" and I say this due to its transits more than anything else
I don't associate Venus with happiness at all. Love is pain.
I guess it depends on how you define "happiness"
To me, Jupiter brings feelings of joy and connectedness like everything is going great.

Lin

I guess it depends on how you define "happiness"

EXACTLY.....we define "happiness" according to the position and aspects to and from Venus. It's VERY personal.
LIN

graay ghost

I don't know how to be happy, really. I know what it is to not be happy but being happy is a difficult proposal.

I have Jupiter in Virgo in the 5th. I think instead of happiness I get virgoan restlessness.

katydid

LIN

It is a little off putting when someone declares " First, let's get the facts straight."---and then makes a declaration of FACT with no links to corroborate.

I am not sure why you say that there 'is only one planet that rules happiness---
and it's venus' ....

I think Rex E Bills is a valid source and his Rulership Book disagrees with your declaration. He says :

Happiness= :jupiter: :venus: 5th house

Happiness, attainment of = 11th house

Happiness or sorrow, public [mundane]= 5th house