Is this chart good for an academic?

gem1ni

Do you think this chart looks good for a successful academic career in higher education as a university professor?

Many thanks for replies.

Last edited:

Silversong

Hello,

I feel like I have to ask: what type of professor do you seek to be? The requirements for a professor in Mathematics likely differ from those of a Professor of Theater Arts, and so on. There are all manner of subjects for a person to have graduate to terminal degrees in (I don't know what levels of education are required to be a professor at different institutions), and statistically speaking it's likely for people with those degrees to use them outside of becoming professors. These are just some thoughts about your query.

I don't really know what to tell you as far as your chart goes, I just feel like it might make for better discussion from others to be more precise about what you (or the person this chart belongs to) want to teach and what you think you need to teach it.

I hope that someone can come by and help you work this out! :smile:

gem1ni

Thanks for responding.

Well I basically want to know if you saw this chart without background knowledge would you choose university professor as a possible occupation? Does the chart favor academic work, such as teaching and publishing?

I would say yes because of Jupiter exactly conjunct the AC and Saturn a bit further away. These are the Teacher planets after all. What worries me is the Neptune in the 9th, which might bring confusion (but maybe also inspiration).

I would like an astrological interpretation of the chart. I will explain later, but I don't want to influence you now.

gem1ni

Thank you. I asked this question because this is the chart for a place where I have been offered a job and I'm considering taking it. I already am an academic but at this stage I need support and a boost to move my career upwards, so I can't afford to make any mistakes.

I need to move to another country (where I currently live and work is temporary), but I want to make the right choice.

The place where this chart is in effect is not very attractive but the position is senior and the pay very good. So, I'm wondering whether it will boost my career as an academic by offering me resources and potential for advancement or whether it will just bury me.

I wanted people to consider this as a natal chart and tell me if academic success (publishing, etc) are indicated.

I should add that Saturn will conjunct the MC late this year. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing.

An important consideration is that to be able to do a good job (in any field) confidence, energy and high spirits are necessary. I don't know if this chart promises these. I'm afraid of Saturn close to the AC and Neptune close to the MC because these planets bring depression.

IleneK

Premium Member
Thank you. I asked this question because this is the chart for a place where I have been offered a job and I'm considering taking it. I already am an academic but at this stage I need support and a boost to move my career upwards, so I can't afford to make any mistakes.

I need to move to another country (where I currently live and work is temporary), but I want to make the right choice.

The place where this chart is in effect is not very attractive but the position is senior and the pay very good. So, I'm wondering whether it will boost my career as an academic by offering me resources and potential for advancement or whether it will just bury me.

I wanted people to consider this as a natal chart and tell me if academic success (publishing, etc) are indicated.

I should add that Saturn will conjunct the MC late this year. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing.

An important consideration is that to be able to do a good job (in any field) confidence, energy and high spirits are necessary. I don't know if this chart promises these. I'm afraid of Saturn close to the AC and Neptune close to the MC because these planets bring depression.

Do you mind my asking how you determined the date and place for the chart? With Pluto in Virgo, is this when the place you were offered work came into existence?

You might also want to consider posing a question in the Horary-Career section to see if it can tell you if this choice will contribute to your professional success as you describe.

gem1ni

It's my own natal chart relocated to the place in question. It's not a horary chart. It's the chart of who I would be if living there.

waybread

gem1ni, with all due respect, isn't this the same question you've been fretting about for weeks now? I am surprised that the job offer hasn't been retracted by now. You are asking for a kind of certainty that a relocation chart just cannot provide. For one thing, into your life will come both good and difficult transits. You are still going to feel a tough transit in a good place, or a good transit in a less desireable place.

I had an academic career for over 30 years, and I am surprised at your ongoing indecision. Unless your career takes you to India (and perhaps even there,) astrology will be held in great disrepute on your campus; i. e., in any North American or European campus. You need to make decisions on bases that will be accepted by your peers.

You need to look at the research opportunities in your current and proposed destination. Are there colleagues in your line of work with whom you could collaborate? Is there a Ph. D. program? What is the teaching/research balance? Which university is more prestigious? Is this a tenure-leading job, or a definite-term assignment? If the latter or if you don't get tenure, which campus would best lead you to getting hired elsewhere? (Probably the more prestigious of the two.) When would you have to go up for tenure (if relevant)?

Do you have serious family considerations, as would apply to a dual-career couple?

Most importantly, academic success requires a modicum of self-confidence. If either job requires classroom teaching, students can be like sharks smelling blood in the water when they sense a timid professor with low self-esteem. They admire relaxed and confident teachers. The same applies to some of your alpha-male colleagues.

If you expand your sense of self-confidence-- because this is the stand you take for yourself,-- either location should be fine. If you rely on unpaid amateur astrologers for your decision-making, you have deeper issues to address than which location is preferable.

Last edited:

waybread

Gem1ni, I don't mean to sound harsh or unfeeling. It is just that a relocation chart won't change very much about the basic aspect patterns of planets in your natal chart. If you move a long distance from your birth place, you will see different house cusps, and maybe a favourable Jupiter will move into your 10th house of career, and so on.

But if you have natal Saturn opposite your sun and natal Neptune squaring it, you probably suffer from low self-esteem. This doesn't mean there is anything objectively wrong with you-- you have many good qualities with a couple of domiciled planets, and have done well in your career so far. This aspect pattern can make you very anxious about making mistakes, however, because your core source of identity-- the sun-- has difficulty in establishing itself.

Consequently, we tend to carry our problems as well as our assets with us when we move, because the natal chart is ours for life.

As others have said, a lot depends upon what is your discipline, because these are indicated differently in your chart. Aquarius and Uranus supposedly bode well for scientists (add engineers with Capricorn involved, but if your field is film studies, then I'd look to Neptune and Venus.

kshantaram

Premium Member
Do you think this chart looks good for a successful academic career in higher education as a university professor? Many thanks for replies.

ascendant lord saturn negating into the 12th own capricorn tending to foreign lands. saturn makes elevated aspect over libra 7th for higher education and distant travels. lord venus 9th house over 5th trine for education over friendly gemini.

mercury lord 5th for education over the 6th unfriendly cancer, conjunct pars fortuna suggestive of losses,

mercury 6th scholarly but argumentative. mercury-saturn/moon opposition over the 6/12 axis. moon lord 6th for health and employment matters over the 12th saturnine capricorn for exile, hospitalisation. mercury lord 8th over the 6th unfriendly cancer prone to health issues, chest/lungs/heart/pneumonia/urological and intestinal issues.

jupiter lord 2/11 for finance/gains over the neutral saturnine ascendant, uncertain airy acquarius. 2nd lord jupiter negating into the fisrt house suggestive of financial constraints.

sun-rahu 7th house for relationship and career support, separative.

movable libra 9th inimical for the fixed acquarius ascendant, impacting higher education and luck with stress and delays, while lord venus impacts 5th trine house for education, romance, children with stress and delays, and while 5th lord mercury over the 6th house for obstacles/challenges.

mars over the 8th able to cope with the challenges.

currently saturn-rahu transit enemy sign secretive occult scorpio 10th for career, 11th for gains from the moon, gains through foreigners, but scorpio inimical for the movable capricorn causing stresses in the matter.

ketu the separative other node transit 4th taurus detachment from mother/motherland.

jupiter transit elevated cancer 6th for employment matters 1st july, trines and aspects saturn-rahu scorpio 10th containing the stress thereof, while also trines and aspects own pisces 2nd for family-finances-speech.

saturn transit scorpio aspects own capricorn 12th protective of foreign lands. while also aspects sun-rahu enemy sign leo 7th for relationship and career support.

while jupiter cancer makes debilated aspect over natal moon-saturn capricorn impacting health, foreign lands.

hope natal jupiter over the ascendant is protective of the deficiencies of the chart, but jupiter over saturnine acquarius and neutral.

the chart is inclined towards foreign lands and academics,

but a mixed uncertain bag with stresses involved, health issues, perhaps able to scrape through with the trine aspect of transit jupiter over saturn-rahu scorpio 10th. jupiter lord 2/11 for finances-gains elevated over the 6th cancer for employment matters in transit over the year, trine saturn-rahu 10th scorpio with research aptitude. while transit jupiter makes debilated aspect over moon-saturn capricorn 12th for foreign lands,

while jupiter-saturn opposition in transit could tend to misjudgments/miscalculations in the process to care for.

hope the generic observations and inputs enable take stock of the chart and the transits, a mixed uncertain bag of opportunities and stresses.

wishing well,

kshantaram

gem1ni

You need to look at the research opportunities in your current and proposed destination. Are there colleagues in your line of work with whom you could collaborate? Is there a Ph. D. program? What is the teaching/research balance? Which university is more prestigious? Is this a tenure-leading job, or a definite-term assignment? If the latter or if you don't get tenure, which campus would best lead you to getting hired elsewhere? (Probably the more prestigious of the two.) When would you have to go up for tenure (if relevant)?

Waybread if my question bugs you so much, why bother answering?

Also, even if my view of life is rather unusual (which I'm sure it is by conventional standards because some of us have unusual lives to live), yours is too. You seem to think that the question I asked in this forum is the only question I ask and that I base my decision on answers I get here. If this is what you think then you too have a strange view of life. I go to astrology fora for astrological discussions. I have colleagues and peers and networks for academic discussions. And no I don't talk with them about astrology the same way that I'm not talking here about non-astrology.

Human beings are multi-dimensional. Astrologers (as well as academics) should realize this.

waybread

You misunderstand me, Gem1ni. I haven't a clue whether this is the only question you ask, as I've not checked. My focus has been on this question.

I observe what people write; and sometimes, how often for repeat threads. The former is one way to link the many potentials of a horoscope to the person.

I try to be helpful to people. Sometimes helpfulness looks like straight talk, rather than accommodating people's fears. And sometimes straight talk isn't the answer that people want to hear. They would rather a response that takes some of the responsibility for decision-making out of their hands, because they fear taking ordinary risks.

Academia is in large part based on straight talk. Not entirely so, but you have to be able to hear it and take it from your senior colleagues, journal and funding agency referees, and in student evaluations. They aren't going to care if you have "an unusual view of life." Nor will they be impressed by personalized push-back.

Good luck with your decision.

gem1ni

ascendant lord saturn negating into the 12th own capricorn tending to foreign lands. saturn makes elevated aspect over libra 7th for higher education and distant travels. lord venus 9th house over 5th trine for education over friendly gemini.

mercury lord 5th for education over the 6th unfriendly cancer, conjunct pars fortuna suggestive of losses,

mercury 6th scholarly but argumentative. mercury-saturn/moon opposition over the 6/12 axis. moon lord 6th for health and employment matters over the 12th saturnine capricorn for exile, hospitalisation. mercury lord 8th over the 6th unfriendly cancer prone to health issues, chest/lungs/heart/pneumonia/urological and intestinal issues.

jupiter lord 2/11 for finance/gains over the neutral saturnine ascendant, uncertain airy acquarius. 2nd lord jupiter negating into the fisrt house suggestive of financial constraints.

sun-rahu 7th house for relationship and career support, separative.

movable libra 9th inimical for the fixed acquarius ascendant, impacting higher education and luck with stress and delays, while lord venus impacts 5th trine house for education, romance, children with stress and delays, and while 5th lord mercury over the 6th house for obstacles/challenges.

mars over the 8th able to cope with the challenges.

currently saturn-rahu transit enemy sign secretive occult scorpio 10th for career, 11th for gains from the moon, gains through foreigners, but scorpio inimical for the movable capricorn causing stresses in the matter.

ketu the separative other node transit 4th taurus detachment from mother/motherland.

jupiter transit elevated cancer 6th for employment matters 1st july, trines and aspects saturn-rahu scorpio 10th containing the stress thereof, while also trines and aspects own pisces 2nd for family-finances-speech.

saturn transit scorpio aspects own capricorn 12th protective of foreign lands. while also aspects sun-rahu enemy sign leo 7th for relationship and career support.

while jupiter cancer makes debilated aspect over natal moon-saturn capricorn impacting health, foreign lands.

hope natal jupiter over the ascendant is protective of the deficiencies of the chart, but jupiter over saturnine acquarius and neutral.

the chart is inclined towards foreign lands and academics,

but a mixed uncertain bag with stresses involved, health issues, perhaps able to scrape through with the trine aspect of transit jupiter over saturn-rahu scorpio 10th. jupiter lord 2/11 for finances-gains elevated over the 6th cancer for employment matters in transit over the year, trine saturn-rahu 10th scorpio with research aptitude. while transit jupiter makes debilated aspect over moon-saturn capricorn 12th for foreign lands,

while jupiter-saturn opposition in transit could tend to misjudgments/miscalculations in the process to care for.

hope the generic observations and inputs enable take stock of the chart and the transits, a mixed uncertain bag of opportunities and stresses.

wishing well,

kshantaram

Thanks for the extensive analysis K.

Yes, what is irritating about this place is that it's so mixed! It has some really good aspects and some really bad ones. In addition, I was interviewed and offered the job when I had some good aspects and some bad ones too.

Cypocryphy

I believe the answer to your question is yes and no. And I know that statement will need an explantation. You have an early Aquarian ascendant, making you a deep thinker and sociable, which should be good for a group educational setting. You have a well structured mind, prone to think deeply, one that is reflective. Yet, at the same time, you are quite sociable. I imagine you are prone to cut loose and be overly festive on some occasions. Being around stuffy, dogmatic individuals would really infringe on your large personality. You do have a large personality.

I think if you were to be a professor, you would lean toward the liberal arts. Maybe you are educated in a different area, but I see you as teaching philosophy, english, so on and so forth. A teacher of the arts . . . .

You would certainly have the discipline (most of the time) to be a professor. How well you would do in that area, I am unsure, but you would be comfortable in such a profession.

(I just noticed that you changed the chart to a different location. What I said probably does not apply. We need to look at your actual natal chart to make a determination. Your time of birth must be absolutely accurate. And you must use your natal chart unadjusted and then provide the location to where you want to move.)

Last edited:

Marinka

gem1ni, with all due respect, isn't this the same question you've been fretting about for weeks now? I am surprised that the job offer hasn't been retracted by now. You are asking for a kind of certainty that a relocation chart just cannot provide. For one thing, into your life will come both good and difficult transits. You are still going to feel a tough transit in a good place, or a good transit in a less desireable place.

I had an academic career for over 30 years, and I am surprised at your ongoing indecision. Unless your career takes you to India (and perhaps even there,) astrology will be held in great disrepute on your campus; i. e., in any North American or European campus. You need to make decisions on bases that will be accepted by your peers.

Do you have serious family considerations, as would apply to a dual-career couple?

Most importantly, academic success requires a modicum of self-confidence. If either job requires classroom teaching, students can be like sharks smelling blood in the water when they sense a timid professor with low self-esteem. They admire relaxed and confident teachers. The same applies to some of your alpha-male colleagues.

If you expand your sense of self-confidence-- because this is the stand you take for yourself,-- either location should be fine. If you rely on unpaid amateur astrologers for your decision-making, you have deeper issues to address than which location is preferable.

I'm just curious, where in the natal chart/transits are you seeing this?

waybread

Marinka, sometimes common sense, the perspective from relevant work experience, and a reality-check are important--even in an astrology forum.

My "lecture" to gem1ni is also based on my chart reading as expressed in this excerpt from my post on this thread:

But if you have natal Saturn opposite your sun and natal Neptune squaring it, you probably suffer from low self-esteem. This doesn't mean there is anything objectively wrong with you-- you have many good qualities with a couple of domiciled planets, and have done well in your career so far. This aspect pattern can make you very anxious about making mistakes, however, because your core source of identity-- the sun-- has difficulty in establishing itself.

Consequently, we tend to carry our problems as well as our assets with us when we move, because the natal chart is ours for life.

When I first read gem1in's question on another thread, I thought this must be a junior academic. Yet the age derived from the horoscope (Pluto in Virgo!) shows the opposite. Academic careers demand judgment calls, decisiveness, and sufficient self-confidence to take a few risks with unknown outcomes-- and the ability to recover strongly when inevitable mistakes are made. And you have to make judgment calls in academia: not just for yourself, but oftentimes for your students, your co-workers, and members of your discipline.

If I seem a bit frustrated at gem1ni's indecision-- and effort to resolve it by delaying a decision and consulting on different threads with amateur astrologers with no knowledge of the actual employment situations involved-- it is because this approach is inimicable to the qualities demanded of senior scholars.

Believe me, I have a lot of empathy for the "do I stay or go?" quandary! I was in this situation myself several times, and some of them were heart-breakers. Some of them turned out well. But a hard transit can perturb a good location, just as a beneficial transit can mitigate a troublesome one.

I worry sometimes that astrology can actually diminish people's self-confidence in the long run, by giving them pat answers to their dilemmas and encouraging them to look to others instead of their own judgment, instead of the encouragement to face risks with courage.

IleneK

Premium Member
I worry sometimes that astrology can actually diminish people's self-confidence in the long run, by ... encouraging them to look to others instead of their own judgment, instead of the encouragement to face risks with courage.

Thank you! I suppose this is my gravest concern as well.